Chip: We really didn't make adjustments

WFE12

11 hours ago, AuMarine said:

I understand what you are saying.. but with the Oline play.. exactly what adjustments would have worked?.. you have to block your guy.. something we failed to do all day long.. I do believe the only adjustment that would have worked would have been to bench the entire Oline.. maybe that should have happened. 

I certainly am not a coach (but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night) but I have always seen that when you are getting whipped upfront and the defense is living in your backfield that getting the ball out faster is a way to combat the pressure.  From what I have seen from other teams before, quick slants, screens, etc. help offset an aggressive defense.  Not by any means saying that would have worked, but I thought we might would have at least tried something like that versus the drop back and hold the ball for 10 seconds.  

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

not enough to win

Obviously not, but it does blow the "had to change something" theory out of the water.

To adjust or not to adjust....  That is the question...

Not adjusting resulted in a BIG FAT LOSS, making Gus 0-3 all-time against UCF, so I'm gonna go with Stat on this one:

48 minutes ago, StatTiger said:

Trailing 13-6 by halftime, it was apparent Auburn was in trouble against Central Florida. Auburn is now 6-17 in games Malzahn's offense is held to under 10 points by halftime, averaging only 15 points per game when it happens.

https://www.aufamily.com/forums/topic/160918-peach-bowl-game-report-card/

41 minutes ago, auskull said:

What happened to the days when players were more afraid of their postion coaches than dying. I can recall players dreading the aftermath of not giving max effort. Hopefully we can, one day, get to where we win ugly even when we play bad. We have routinely pulled out some FCS wins this way but not against very good teams that we should have won anyway. I can agree that UCF is a very very good team, but really.....are they in the league with UGA and UAT??  They out played us most of the game but do they have any starters that could have started for us? I'm simply at the point that it doesn't really matter why or how we lost. This whatever you want to call it is simply not good enough.  I may never recover with this HC. Is there one person on this forum who believes we are headed in the right direction?

You need elite play makers to be able to play ugly and still win.   The players that can, when everything else you're doing on the day stinks, take the handoff or take a short pass and run it 80 yds for a winning score.      Think tOSU and LSU under Miles.     Unfortunately, we don't seem to attract many of these and some that we have the past few years have been head cases.    

I'm not a coach so I can't say what kind of adjustments would work. I only know that what we were doing wasn't working and on paper we were a vastly superior team. To hear that there was no adjustment, just as there wasn't in the SEC championship, is baffling to me . At some point, these coaches have to let go of their ego's acknowledge that something needs to change with their pre game 'perfect' plan, and make that adjustment. Hell, if our offensive line was playing like garbage against a bunch of 1 and 2 star recruits, bench them and put in the back up. Maybe they wanted to play that day. If KJ aint running effectively, try a different style of running back. If the runnning game aint opening up put in some series with malik willis and let him actually throw the ball too. To me fixing the offensive line play and promoting consistency in play is crucial for next year. you can't achieve the later without making game adjustments.

3 hours ago, auskull said:

What happened to the days when players were more afraid of their postion coaches than dying. I can recall players dreading the aftermath of not giving max effort. Hopefully we can, one day, get to where we win ugly even when we play bad. We have routinely pulled out some FCS wins this way but not against very good teams that we should have won anyway. I can agree that UCF is a very very good team, but really.....are they in the league with UGA and UAT??  They out played us most of the game but do they have any starters that could have started for us? I'm simply at the point that it doesn't really matter why or how we lost. This whatever you want to call it is simply not good enough.  I may never recover with this HC. Is there one person on this forum who believes we are headed in the right direction?

Oh Lord don't stir them up. SPF 90 won't block some of the sunshine they will pump.

Yes, the Oline played horrible. IMO this offense needs a major overhaul and it needs to be Chip that does it. Since that's not going to happen and we'll likely only see a few tweaks during spring....it's going to be an up and down offense. 

Until Chip/Gus change and change once and for all...this is what our offense is going to be. If you want your players to be consistent then knowing exactly what you are as a team on offense has be consistent. We went from being an aggressive offense against UGA and Bama to reverting back to our old ways in the SECCG/Bowl game....dive...bubble screen... 30-yard throw and miss...then punt. That's going to get you inconsistent play at times. Granted it shouldn't affect the effort and the Oline lacked intensity in the bowl game but it all starts at the top. Therefore, until those guys change, we're going to get inconsistency. 

Gus and co got out coached by a team whose coaches currently have 2 jobs. There is no excuse about execution or motivation when the color guy is calling plays based off formation and the plays designed to beat the aggressive style UCF brought weren't even tried. Gus should have been gone years ago

its frustrating that Auburn does not use all of its weapons to win a game.

The coaches refuse to do whatever it takes to win. They have shown they can do it.

Auburn has made too many new records in opponents stat sheet.

16 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I’m really just disappointed and don’t feel good about the season. It should never be that way after 10 wins and beating both rivals while they were ranked #1. This article sums it up for me. No adjustments. We were getting taken to the shed, and no adjustments. In the meantime, those rivals are playing for the natty. Unbelievable. 

Typical Malfunction coaching. And how many more years of this "No Adjustments" are we in store for now? SMH-pitiful coaching. Gus is a v6 coach at a v8 program.

I think Chip is telling a bold faced lie!

Adjustments were made at half-time, proven by the fact that AU scored only 6 pts in the first half and 21 in the second half.  So somebody somewhere made a significant change to the style and intensity of play. 

UCF tried to give us the game and we just didn't take the damn thing......QB running for his freaking life - Defense not in attack mode - Oline getting blown up and pushed around -  Dline got very little penetration - Secondary allowing play makers to shine - QB not allowed to attack the middle of the field when it was open all day.  It was just an overall bad game, but I believe adjustments were made whether Chip recognizes it or not.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

Obviously not, but it does blow the "had to change something" theory out of the water.

there is nothing to say that if they decided to change something that it could have lead to a different outcome.    Ive seen the OL perk up when James was removed from the lineup in games before.  What is certain is that we lose if you dont make changes.    While its in retrospect,  modifying the offense  trying something will keep the defense on their toes and might help the offense get it together.  At worst we lose the game which they were doing with the current plan and nothing changed. 

I'm going to go another direction here than normal................. I hope that Gus used the bowl practice to get the younger guys a lot of reps and get ready for 2018. I hope this is what happened. I should be able to find out. I can let the bowl game pass if this was the case. 

5 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'm going to go another direction here than normal................. I hope that Gus used the bowl practice to get the younger guys a lot of reps and get ready for 2018. I hope this is what happened. I should be able to find out. I can let the bowl game pass if this was the case. 

what is really disappointing is that Auburn played some really bad opponents close and didnt have very much "junk time"  which would have done alot to get the younger guys acclimated.  

Just now, auskip07 said:

what is really disappointing is that Auburn played some really bad opponents close and didnt have very much "junk time"  which would have done alot to get the younger guys acclimated.  

We had plenty of chances to give the young guys some reps. We didn't. 

So I am reading the replies to this post and a vast majority think the O-Line flat out sucked yesterday, all of them, and their poor play had nothing to do with everyone knowing what the play was before it was ran.  Man that's asking a lot of any Offensive line.  Like I said in other posts, it is near impossible to carry out any assignment in anything you do in life when an opponent or adversary knows what you are doing before you do it.  ESPECIALLY an Offensive lineman.  I find it amazing that some people would rather think the whole Offensive line did not care anything about playing while watching Brock Huard call out our plays AND STATE THAT HE SPOKE WITH A UCF DEFENSIVE COACH ABOUT IT.  Come on people.  We got our arse handed to us because we had the same crappy plays and lack of imagination on offense that we have become accustom to and we did not try to fix what was not working at any point during the game.  That's why we lost.  If you disagree and want to point back to the Offensive Line just mailing it in then you also are saying that the SEC Championship game disaster was due to the Offensive line just not wanting to be there and mailing it in in that game as well.  It is GUS!  Same three week old gameplan that worked before  with the same tendencies, no new wrinkles, star player deemed 60% healthy at best and Gus trots out there like Kirby has no chance to stop us with the same crap.  I guess the Oline mailed it in during Clemson, LSU, Mercer, and GA Southern games as well.  They just didn't want to be there.  It had nothing to do with being prepared or having a great gameplan or not changing your plays in 5 years. 

Bottom line is this; we got out coached by an entire staff that was leaving UCF and had to spend time recruiting and getting set up in Nebraska while also planning for Auburn.  The thing that helped Scott Frost and his staff the most was predictable, stubborn Gus.  But hey lets blame it on the 22 and 23 YO kids that have turned their football futures over to Gus and his offensive staff for the last 3-5 years.  After all they have been through, all the injuries, all the workouts, they just didn't want to be there. 

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We had plenty of chances to give the young guys some reps. We didn't. 

*cough* *cough*

At least the game was only in ATL for the majority of Auburn fans that went didn't have to travel too far.  As a fan hearing things like this will make me think twice before traveling across country for a game, bowl or regular season.  It's one thing to spend money for home games in which you can drive down and back in a day if you live close, so no hotel or flight cost.  But if the game requires flight, hotel, rental car etc... to know that if the game plan doesn't work then we are screwed and will not make adjustments, doesn't make me want to spend the amount of money it takes to go see a game.  Sorry, some may blast me and say I don't support or team, but damn to know that it's the game plan or bust, that's just not smart coaching.  ALL, and I mean ALL, good coaches know they have to make adjustments if things are not working.  If they truly thought it was just lack of execution then why the hell were players not benched for someone else?  This is Big Boy Football, not everyone gets a trophy.  Being the last game of the season and a bowl game for that matter, if you're constantly not executing, then sorry someone else deserves a shot.

This was one of the things I truly wanted to see Gus improve on and thought it was a big flaw he has shown before, not being able to adjust during the game; either offensively or defensively.  Clemson this year was painfully obvious that he didn't make any adjustments during the game.  Hate to say it but if he hasn't learned by now he's probably not going to. 

Also why can a reporter not ask the obvious questions every single Auburn Fan is thinking:
1) Whos call was it not to make any adjustments?
2) If it was lack of execution, then why were other players not given a chance?
3) Who is truly calling the plays?

I'd honest to God be perfectly fine if Gus put a muzzle on his entire staff.  Let the one voice come from the man earning $49 large, let him address the media in all circumstances.

It serves no positive purpose for Auburn when staffers address the media with mealy-mouthed comments that they will later get crucified for.

4 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'd honest to God be perfectly fine if Gus put a muzzle on his entire staff.  Let the one voice come from the man earning $49 large, let him address the media in all circumstances.

It serves no positive purpose for Auburn when staffers address the media with mealy-mouthed comments that they will later get crucified for.

speaking of, did we ever find out who said the line about losing to LSU will probably cost them their jobs? Was that actually said or was that kind of projected from somewhere out in the media considering the reactions at the time? 

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

I like the honesty.  It keeps folks from going insane.  You watch all the games, you conclude what is wrong, then the coaches prove your thoughts to be correct.  I have Gus pegged to be the poster child for the Peter Priciple. Gus and Jay Jacobs definition below.  Chip just confirmed it.

1. When you’re great at something, you might get rewarded with a promotion … into something you’re terrible at. A typical example, Peter said, is if you’re a great rule-follower who suddenly is placed in charge of making rules and decisions. You may well freeze up in your new role or gum up the productivity of everyone else.

2. Once you’re promoted to your level of incompetence, you probably won’t get fired and replaced with someone more competent. Instead, others will work around you. Why aren’t you fired? Perhaps because you probably know too much about your boss’ business to be booted out too casually. Or because people have sympathy for you because you’re working so many hours. Or because the people who are supposed to judge you have reached their own level of incompetence, and damned if they’re able to realize how unproductive you are. So you now have reached the ominously termed station called “Final Placement.”

I actually don't mind CCL saying this publicly. He was asked a question and there was literally no way for him to BS around it. Was he going to fabricate some non-existent adjustment just for PR? Then when it becomes obvious there was no real effort or meaning behind the answer he gave to the media people would be even more pissed at him. We all know how agitated people get at Gus' untruths.

7 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I actually don't mind CCL saying this publicly. He was asked a question and there was literally no way for him to BS around it. Was he going to fabricate some non-existent adjustment just for PR? Then when it becomes obvious there was no real effort or meaning behind the answer he gave to the media people would be even more pissed at him. We all know how agitated people get at Gus' untruths.

Ehh, Chip could have BS'd this one IMO.  He didn't even have to answer the question, just tell 'em to compare AU's first & second half scoring and let them come to their own conclusions.

You all realize that the point Chip was trying to make is that we came out and scored twice utilizing the same game plan, because we executed the game plan for those two drives instead of shooting ourselves in the foot like we did in the first half.

Now, I'm with @keesler in believing that we did change things up some, because I saw us do different things that we hadn't tried in the first half, but I also have no trouble believing that we executed better for two drives. This team ran so much on emotion, all year, that I believe that they came out of the locker room on fire, got even more fired up with Iggy's return, turned it up to full blast with the TD, and then lost it all with the INT. I even saw us try to get it back with the final TD, but it was too little too late.

Look at the Georgia and bama games.  They players were fired up those entire games, and nothing really negative happened to bring them down. Then look at the SEC Championship.  It looked like we were ready to do it again... then we lost the fumble and it was all over.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Ehh, Chip could have BS'd this one IMO.  He didn't even have to answer the question, just tell 'em to compare AU's first & second half scoring and let them come to their own conclusions.

True but Stidham also said the same thing. Loosely quoting "we didn't make any adjustments at half"

Archived