Chip: We really didn't make adjustments

WFE12

We executed in the third quarter and blew them away. Then went back to sleep in the 4th. You don't change a plan if all you have to do is the players quit giving a half-azzed effort and go after them. If a change had been needed and we didn't make one, then we wouldn't have succeeded right after half-time. They fed off of Gus's chewing out for most of the 3rd quarter and then dozed off again.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

We executed in the third quarter and blew them away. Then went back to sleep in the 4th. You don't change a plan if all you have to do is the players quit giving a half-azzed effort and go after them. If a change had been needed and we didn't make one, then we wouldn't have succeeded right after half-time. They fed off of Gus's chewing out for most of the 3rd quarter and then dozed off again.

All those chicken biscuits...put them in a coma.

I guess I see this a little differently than most. The adjustment WAS better execution and we scored 21 points in the second half as opposed to 6 in the first half. Obviously something took at halftime. The defense and turnovers is what killed us in the second half, not poor play calling. You can't blame Chip or Gus for Stidham throwing it right to the other team twice.

16 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Then bench them. Playing hard for 1/4 of a game is completely unacceptable or should be . 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Then bench them. Playing hard for 1/4 of a game is completely unacceptable or should be . 

This I can agree with. People whining about not changing the plans when a change wasn't needed, that I can't agree with.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This I can agree with. People whining about not changing the plans when a change wasn't needed, that I can't agree with.

Whatever the plan was, it wasn't working.  Changes needed to be made.

There it is, in black and white, coming from the horses mouth. And....surprise surprise people are STILL coming up with excuses for Gus. Amazing. Execution is important...just as important as NOT continually running the same plays after the D has figured it out. Kinda goes against the execution argument. You guys better polish up them orange and blue custom Gus edition glasses.  You're gonna need them.

Did he really say this??? Lmao!! ?? 

This is something you say coaches didn't do and everybody says yeah right our SECcollege coaches didn't try to make adjustments. I'm sure that happened....

4 minutes ago, tdburger said:

Whatever the plan was, it wasn't working.  Changes needed to be made.

"The plan" was the same plan that beat UGA and UAT. The difference was the O-line not performing. The plan was fine, the execution wasn't.

2 minutes ago, leglessdan said:

There it is, in black and white, coming from the horses mouth. And....surprise surprise people are STILL coming up with excuses for Gus. Amazing. Execution is important...just as important as NOT continually running the same plays after the D has figured it out. Kinda goes against the execution argument. You guys better polish up them orange and blue custom Gus edition glasses.  You're gonna need them.

There are extremely few surprise plays in college football. Everybody has everybody else pretty much figured out. Their QB played better than ours. Their O-line played better than ours. They won. Figuring out plans had nothing to do with it, both sides had  plans figured out a week before the game.

I don't need orange and blue glasses, I have orange and blue eyeballs. I like the fact that we'll have continuity in our coaching staff for the next several years. Those that don't like Gus better get used to it because he'll be here for quite a while now.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There are extremely few surprise plays in college football. Everybody has everybody else pretty much figured out. Their QB played better than ours. Their O-line played better than ours. They won. Figuring out plans had nothing to do with it, both sides had  plans figured out a week before the game.

I don't need orange and blue glasses, I have orange and blue eyeballs. I like the fact that we'll have continuity in our coaching staff for the next several years. Those that don't like Gus better get used to it because he'll be here for quite a while now.

Like it or not, I agree.

5 minutes ago, Randman5000 said:

eZbr_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

Poor execution is a Gus talking point. 

It's every coach's talking point. Since back in the days before message boards or color TV or, as best I can guess,  before the horseless carriage. Solid execution wins games, poor execution loses games. If you could resurrect Bear, Shug, Bobby Dodd or Daryl Royal from the grave they'd tell you the same thing.

1 hour ago, AURealist said:

So it was execution.  That was the problem. . I have to admit I was wondering.  

Not failure to adjust, but execution.  Like Gallipoli.  Gallipoli wasn't a bad plan, it was just poor execution.  

But now I've got it.  OK.  Yeah.  Execution.  Got it.  I feel so much better.  I thought it might be a coaching issue there for just a second, but only just for a second.  I forgot for a second - only for a second, mind you, that perfect plays always work, no matter what the opposition does, as long as they are executed correctly.  Ha!  But I'm better now.  

And I feel good.

Really, I'm fine.

No. No need to call the Ministry of Love.  I'm fine.  Really.

Repeat after me:  "Gus is a genius."   "Poor execution causes perfect play failure."   "We have always been at war with Eastasia..."

--

Seriously, you guys crack me up.  Gus is delusional and we're talking poor O-line play.  :laugh:  These next will be the longest 7 years of our AU football fandom.  We are soooooo screwed.  I look forward to chuckling at the long litany of the usual excuses we always trot out to rationalize our mediocrity.  Always fun, that.

What's really gonna top off this absurd travesty of a season - the big cherry on top - will be an extended contract for Coach Herb Hand and an obscene raise 'to keep him'!  

We deserve what we get, folks.  We're stupid.

No, you’ re stupid.  You’re stupid for being an Auburn fan (not).  Why don’t you do yourself and all real Auburn fans a favor and go find another team and coach to constantly malign.

6 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's every coach's talking point. Since back in the days before message boards or color TV or, as best I can guess,  before the horseless carriage. Solid execution wins games, poor execution loses games. If you could resurrect Bear, Shug, Bobby Dodd or Daryl Royal from the grave they'd tell you the same thing.

Why were we executing so bad after all these months/years?  Other teams seem to execute fine?

And Chip this is why you and Gus continue to piss us off.  Arrogance and stupidity.  By the way, you knuckleheads might take a few lessons from the best coach in college football:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/lane-kiffin-explains-one-adjustment-nick-saban-made-prior-sugar-bowl-made-difference/

8 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

I guess I see this a little differently than most. The adjustment WAS better execution and we scored 21 points in the second half as opposed to 6 in the first half. Obviously something took at halftime. The defense and turnovers is what killed us in the second half, not poor play calling. You can't blame Chip or Gus for Stidham throwing it right to the other team twice.

The first of the two INTs was caused by an OL getting blown back off the line right into Stid's shoulder as he threw. Had the OL not been blown up, it might still have been picked, but we'll never know. 

9 hours ago, JDUBB4AU said:

To hear his makes me sick . This is the difference from good and great teams and just plain bad coaching and good coaching . What the hell chip ? Gus? Damn guys . That’s garbage and you deserve to be kicked in the nuts 

simply unacceptable, it seems Auburn gives the opponent our playbook, not that its hard to figure out.

A month to prepare and we get this. Just like the Clemson game, zero preparation .

7 hours ago, eulessau said:

No, you’ re stupid.  You’re stupid for being an Auburn fan (not).  Why don’t you do yourself and all real Auburn fans a favor and go find another team and coach to constantly malign.

"real Auburn fans..."    You mean the ones drinking the Gus is a Genius flavored Koolaid, right?   Gonna make me take a loyalty test?  What are you, twelve years old?  I bet I've been an Auburn fan longer than you've been alive.  I went there, too, kiddo.  

If you can't handle a hyperbolic ribbing, a contrary viewpoint or glimpses of truth, you should get off this board and be out protesting something somewhere...  If mommy will let you out in the cold...   

1 hour ago, auskip07 said:

maybe if they changed some things they would have executed better.   for god sakes try something. 

Auburn scored 21 points in the second half, 6 in the first half. That wasn't enough change for you?

With all the talk about adjustments, maybe it was the players that didn't adjust. Tray Matthews said himself that it was hard getting up for the Peach Bowl. With losing the SECCG he said it was hard not continually thinking about it. I get as aggravated with some of the coaching decisions that happen as many on here but a senior player admits not being able to get up for the game. He may not be the only one. 

What happened to the days when players were more afraid of their postion coaches than dying. I can recall players dreading the aftermath of not giving max effort. Hopefully we can, one day, get to where we win ugly even when we play bad. We have routinely pulled out some FCS wins this way but not against very good teams that we should have won anyway. I can agree that UCF is a very very good team, but really.....are they in the league with UGA and UAT??  They out played us most of the game but do they have any starters that could have started for us? I'm simply at the point that it doesn't really matter why or how we lost. This whatever you want to call it is simply not good enough.  I may never recover with this HC. Is there one person on this forum who believes we are headed in the right direction?

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

The difference was the O-line not performing

And if you were the o-line coach what would you have done about that poor play? Like I said other day I'm not impressed with Hand.

57 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Auburn scored 21 points in the second half, 6 in the first half. That wasn't enough change for you?

not enough to win

Archived