Prince Tega Wanogho a rising star

WFE12

8H FOOTBALL

Wanogho a rising star

Bryan Matthews • AuburnSports.com

CULLMAN | Not even a pair of handcuffs could restrain Prince Tega Wanogho this spring.

First-year offensive line coach J.B. Grimes likes to incorporate specially-made rubber handcuffs to teach his offensive linemen to keep their hands inside when run blocking. But Grimes is going to need to find a bigger pair of cuffs for the 6-foot-7, 301-pound Wanogho.

“He’s so strong he broke three pair,” Grimes said. “This guy is extremely strong. I’ve never had anybody do that.”

Vvw6ykavqwb7zy7mikjv
Wanogho works against Big Kat Bryant during spring practice.
Todd Van Emst/Auburn atheltics

Despite the handcuffing issues, Grimes said Wanogho really made a lot of strides during 15 spring practices. Wanogho started seven games at left tackle last season and that experience combined with Grimes’ focus on fundamentals has the junior pegged as one of Auburn’s most improved players heading into the fall. 

“Really excited on what he could be,” Grimes said. “I’ve got him rated right now as a guy that is a really good starter in the SEC and I think he’s ascending to an all-conference type player.”

Grimes worked Wanogho hard on improving his hands and his footwork during spring.

“The biggest thing, first of all he’s a gift guy. He’s got a lot of ability. I mean he’s got that,” Grimes said. “The biggest thing with him is he’s got to learn how to use his hands better. Then he’s got to learn to get his feet, you know as your toe goes so goes your shoulders. As your toe turns, your shoulder and your hips are going to turn we’ve got to get them to where they’re more square in everything that we do. Whether it be on the backside of a protection or on the front side of a protection.

“Then in the running game we’ve got to do a better job of getting our hands inside. I saw him from Day 1 to Day 15, make extremely good strides when it came to that.”

Grimes also likes the intangibles that Wanogho brings to the table including his self-motivation, determination to get better and the mean streak he plays with on the field. Coming out of spring, Grimes feels strongly about Wanogho as the starter at left tackle, Marquel Harrell at left guard and Mike Horton at right guard.

“I know this. He has just shown up in my office and will sit and visit more, which I like, to build that relationship with a young man,” Grimes said. “I like that kid, man. I think he’s a pretty tough guy too. I think he’s got some toughness to him.

“Right now I think Marquel Harrell can be a good starter and Mike Horton could start and those guys could be good. We just have to develop those other guys. Again, it goes back to coaching and it’s about reps. There’s only way to do it, you just have to go out there and do it.”

If Grimes feels good about Tega and the two MH's then I feel good too. He's not one to just throw out compliments Willy nilly. When we get our centers healthy and get Driscoll in we should be set for Sep.1. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I keep hearing this. Show me! 

Obviously they’re showing a no no nonsense coach, so I’ll take him at his word. The guards played pretty well after halfway through the season so I think they’re fine. It’s the center and rt we need and with the transfer, Troxell, and Calvin I think we’ll be ready by first game! 

5 hours ago, toddc said:

Obviously they’re showing a no no nonsense coach, so I’ll take him at his word. The guards played pretty well after halfway through the season so I think they’re fine. It’s the center and rt we need and with the transfer, Troxell, and Calvin I think we’ll be ready by first game! 

Cool. Still need to see it on the field. Less talking, more doing.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Have before when he was here the 1st time, especially in run blocking.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I'd venture a guess that Grimes would much rather be coaching than doing these interviews. Could be wrong. He is definitely honest and animated with his answers.

I've been optimistic for Tega. He's one of the most athletic OLs we've had in the Gus era. Just still so new to the position and the sport, really. Once he's to the point of not having to think and just being able to react, he'll be a beast. 

(Side note: the conversation about the o-line going into next year is going to be a lot different. I think we're going to be feeling pretty good about the group we've got. They will be as experienced as any group in the conference.)

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'd venture a guess that Grimes would much rather be coaching than doing these interviews. Could be wrong. He is definitely honest and animated with his answers.

I've been optimistic for Tega. He's one of the most athletic OLs we've had in the Gus era. Just still so new to the position and the sport, really. Once he's to the point of not having to think and just being able to react, he'll be a beast. 

(Side note: the conversation about the o-line going into next year is going to be a lot different. I think we're going to be feeling pretty good about the group we've got. They will be as experienced as any group in the conference.)

Yep. I love Grimes and I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer. Grimes is a straight shooter and he is only going to respond to a question. That is part of his job. I guess I am just ready to see this kid succeed haha. I've been hearing how much potential he has the last two years and I definitely can see it.

58 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

Is Prince the one that only had 1 year of high school football and played DL?  

Yes.  And that was at a small private school.  He is still on the major learning curve.  

1 minute ago, The Plainsman said:

Yes.  And that was at a small private school.  He is still on the major learning curve.  

He just made the school LOOK small.  :beer2:

5 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

He just made the school LOOK small.  :beer2:

Lol.  He was so fast he was catching RB’s from behind down field.   

I am encouraged to hear he has a mean streak.  For small HS guys,  that is hard find when your not used to dominating the person in front of you every play.   I hope we catching him peaking at AU .. 

Grimes is a straight shooter if he says Prince is ready and the two guards that leaves center and RT as question marks. We have 3 solid RT options with Driscol, Ashley and Troxell. We need Brahms or Kim to come through. This article makes me feel a little better about O-Line but it is still the area I worry about the most.

12 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Grimes is a straight shooter if he says Prince is ready and the two guards that leaves center and RT as question marks. We have 3 solid RT options with Driscol, Ashley and Troxell. We need Brahms or Kim to come through. This article makes me feel a little better about O-Line but it is still the area I worry about the most.

Hand would've tested Driscoll out at center. I wonder if Grimes will. 

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think it would depend on how much faith he has in Ashley and Troxell. Also in Brahms and Kim.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Hearing from those in the know that he will not change driscolls position.

This is pretty exciting considering the concern that a lot of us have had about the OL and the LT spot in particular. The OL is starting to shape up to be pretty solid!

3 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Thank you as always. Good to hear. Would be soooo okay if he allowed Ashley and Trox to get spot reps and ease into starting roles down the road. 

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

This is pretty exciting considering the concern that a lot of us have had about the OL and the LT spot in particular. The OL is starting to shape up to be pretty solid!

i think the roster looks decent. getting everyone to mesh is another. Never seen this combo before...we're basically adding 2-3 newcomers as well.. But i'm way more excited than i was a month ago

46 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

44 minutes ago, Zeek said:

His position was RT FTR.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

His position was RT FTR.

I'm curious how much it matters that his QB at UMass was left-handed, if at all? Technique, the kinds of DEs he's been matched up on, etc. 

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

His position was RT FTR.

My bad, I thought I saw where he was projected to be the LT

Archived