2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting Thread

Tiger Growlin

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

I didn't know that. Man we have really flirted with greatness...what if we had him and kept Mitchell? That would possibly be the best defensive backcourt in basketball

Chuck really screwed us. We were on the way to really turning the corner big time as a program until he got busted with that BS. Imagine EJ Montgomery and Ashton Hagans on this team. We would definitely be in the top 4 of the league right now IMO.

• Love 1

and the lost recruiting class of last year will be felt next year and the year after. We'll need another really strong class next season to help fill the gap

11 minutes ago, gravejd said:

and the lost recruiting class of last year will be felt next year and the year after. We'll need another really strong class next season to help fill the gap

Respectfully disagree especially on the year after part. Hagans is 1 & done & wouldn't be here for those years. EJ is no more than 2 & done & may be 1 & done as well. The most he would be here is next year. They were the only 2 recruits we were willing to take in that class. Bruce felt it was a down class overall.The needs for the next class won't have changed. We'll lose 6-7 so it's an important class regardless.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

We were never getting Hagans gang so it’s not worth even theorizing about.

We could have held on to Hagans had the scandal not happened. Him being a silent isn't just something I made up. It came straight from Bruce's mouth in an interview last month.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We could have held on to Hagans had the scandal not happened. Him being a silent isn't just something I made up. It came straight from Bruce's mouth in an interview last month.

And Jimmy Dykes confirmed this on a Auburn sec game this season he called. I believe it was when we played Georgia. He did not pull that from thin air. He obviously got it from Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

Respectfully disagree especially on the year after part. Hagans is 1 & done & wouldn't be here for those years. EJ is no more than 2 & done & may be 1 & done as well. The most he would be here is next year. They were the only 2 recruits we were willing to take in that class. Bruce felt it was a down class overall.The needs for the next class won't have changed. We'll lose 6-7 so it's an important class regardless.

Were those the only 2 guys that would have signed in the last class? Brining no one in for a year creates a hole. But in basketball it can be more easily overcome then football

19 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Were those the only 2 guys that would have signed in the last class?

Yes. They were the only 2 Bruce wanted.

20 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Brining no one in for a year creates a hole. But in basketball it can be more easily overcome then football

Typically yes but the staff only expected & planned to lose 1 in Heron. Murray & Davion were unexpected. We were using 1 less than the max scholly amount.

13 hours ago, ellitor said:

Yeah I know he was committed but he was always going to Kentucky if he got the offer

53 minutes ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Yeah I know he was committed but he was always going to Kentucky if he got the offer

Unlike football recruiting players rarely flip in basketball without a major coaching change to the committed school so we will have to agree to disagree.

52 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Unlike football recruiting players rarely flip in basketball without a major coaching change to the committed school so we will have to agree to disagree.

Yeah. But he was never publicly committed to AU which makes it a lot different imo. But it’s a moot point now so whatever 

19 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Really cool from Bruce and EJ here

The best coaches care about the relationships they build with recruits, whether they land the recruits or not. Good stuff for sure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2020 kid. 

10 minutes ago, ClarkGriswold said:

Interesting article from al.com today.

Bucky and Watford package deal?  What say the insiders here?

https://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/2019/03/the-iron-bowl-of-basketball-recruiting-and-a-balance-of-power-could-be-determined-in-mountain-brook.html

I’ve got a little kinda sorta inside scoop there.  Yes they could be.  The AU game over there watfords dad yelled “hire Bucky” in the tunnel after the game purposefully so the Bama powers and Avery could hear him.  I’m not sure details, but I think the assumption at that time was hire Bucky as an assistant to Avery.  Not sure.  I know people who think Bucky is a rising star.  I’m not sure it will translate to college.  He transformed a HS program.  He is apparently very fair, hard nosed and devoted to his players.  I’ve heard this possibility for a couple months.

edit: I posted this before I read the article.  I’ve not heard any rumors related to auburn.  Apparently Bucky is a film junky and film preps hard and has his kids film prep before games.

i think he’d be a great assistant.  I think he has a couple personal quirks but I’ll hold on those.  I’m no first hand insider

Edited by mustache eagle
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, mustache eagle said:

I’ve not heard any rumors related to auburn

i have, i heard them this morning....there is a lot of smoke on this.....apparently, it might be a little past the rumor stage because i heard it on the radio this morning,too.....

Edited by doverstutts

35 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

apparently, it might be a little past the rumor stage because i heard it on the radio this morning,too.....

Radios can spread rumors too. 

It sounds completely plausible. We have a vacancy at assistant coach and we may need to replace Okeke too. Why not shop at the same store for both? Throw Avery getting canned and it makes sense that things could’ve changed in Au’s Favor with Watford 

• Thanks 1

I'd love to see these two in burnt orange and navy. And at least one more player at 6'9 or taller with good basketball skills. Always good to have at least two taller than 6'8 to play the 5.

• Like 1