Will Stidham Return for 2019 Season?

triangletiger

Poll: Will Stidham return for 2019?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. I know it's still early in the season and a lot can happen between now and the end of the season, but, so far, Jarrett Stidham hasn't looked like a QB who's ready to take his game to the next level. He certainly has the physical tools, but may need some more development on the mental side. That being said, does anyone think he will return to Auburn for his senior season?

• Yes
    • No

10 minutes ago, EagleReedle said:

It's hardly as simple as a few differing opinions as being "folks who can put 2+2 together".  No need to be condescending to try and make a point. You have now shifted the topic to something different. I am not saying Malzahn is absolutely absolved of blame. I'm saying to the person who said Gus is running a "double bubble gimmicky high school offense" that he's not, it is lindsey's offense and we don't know the extent to which Malzahn is interpolating his own schemes. 

On a football forum? It is pretty simple as that, as whether you believe it or whether I believe it doesn’t change a thing. What I will say is this. The reason CCL was bought here was because the Gus Malzahn offense , that you are advocate for, was completely getting stalemated. Now , it is the second year under CCL, where the offense should be smooth sailing and we seem to have hit a bump in the road once again. Coincidence?  

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For instance . CCL has a Heisman caliber QB at his helm. Let’s look at tendencies. In 2014, Southern Miss attempted to pass the ball 482 times. About 100 more times than they attempted to rush. In 2015, he became more balanced as southern miss passed the ball 532 times and rush for 501 attempts. He gets to ASU where he runs 475 times but they still pass 425 times. Now he gets to Auburn, with a gun slinger at hand.. 2017 ( 642 attempts rushing ; 382 passing attempts). 

2018 ( 178 rushing attempts , 100 passing attempts). 

Do with this as you may, but people usually don’t just do a 180 like this. And also take into account the amount of games played by each time. 14 games in 2017 and 14 in 2015. Only 12 in 2016 and 12 in 2014.

14 minutes ago, DAG said:

On a football forum? It is pretty simple as that, as whether you believe it or whether I believe it doesn’t change a thing. What I will say is this. The reason CCL was bought here was because the Gus Malzahn offense , that you are advocate for, was completely getting stalemated. Now , it is the second year under CCL, where the offense should be smooth sailing and we seem to have hit a bump in the road once again. Coincidence?  

It is true I am an advocate in moving back to the Wing-T spread that Malzahn crushed with. Problem is, you get a guy like Barrett Trotter and then Sean White (love both those guys) but at that point, that offense is going to die on the vine. Enter Chip Lindsey when we really just needed another electrifying Qb but that's okay, im fine with totally flipping the script... as for our current bump... i say it's shear conspiracy to place that hiccup on Gus aside from that which a Head Coach should have to answer for but everyone seems to be saying Malzahn is influencing the x's and o's to an extent that i'm not comfortable agreeing with. I think the current bump has nothing to do with Gus Malzahns former offense and more to do with a new offense that just really isn't very dynamic for reasons i do not know. Could be as simple as losing a guy like Kerryon. 

Sorry, but the offense in this video looks to me like somebody else's offense that has a few Gus Malzahn plays. Our offense this season has looked like a Gus Malzahn offense with a few of somebody else's plays. Eye of the beholder I guess. 

Looks to me like the same offense I’m seeing AU run.   Why can’t AU run the same plays but possible out of a different formation ?   Break some tendencies and see how the defense reacts.    Just a thought because we are four games into the year and no one is going to change the offense at this point and time 

I think the evidence over the last few years (even pre-CCL) is starting to create two camps.  Well, 4 camps when you add the "Gus can do no wrong" camp and the "Fire Gus just cuz he chews too much double-bubble" camp.  But for our purposes, I'm focusing on the two reasonable camps....

Some see what Gus has been recruiting, which looks like Air-raid personnel and wonder "why aren't they running that type Offense?"

Others see that Gus had the most success running the wing/RPO with an exceedingly good running QB and wonder "why are they still running a watered down version of that offense but are recruiting Air-raid personnel?"

What that all boils down to is a performance like last Saturday night where we all scratch our heads and say "I drank what?"

Stidham is like Tom Brady in the sense that when he doesn't feel safe behind his OL his performance is dramatically diminished.

Let me try to encapsulate a bunch of things so that maybe this thread can die and we can talk about something new, a fool's dream I know.

1. Stidham is in all likelihood leaving the program for the NFL regardless of performance and evaluation. Our opinions on the matter really don't matter. If you're dying to voice an opinion we just need a poll with the option A) Stidham will bust and I want to be able to say I told you so B ) Stidham will succeed in the NFL and I want to be able to say I told you so. Until he says otherwise he is g-o-n-e by all accounts. /thisthread
  2. Stidham's performance is disappointing and I don't think anyone can argue against that. Naturally it's partially his fault, partially his teammates, and partially the coaching staff. A lot of the issues aren't a surprise and they're nothing new.
    1. Let's start with the man himself. We saw this last year until the OL became serviceable; Stidham has happy feet and becomes a terribly bad quarterback whenever he no longer feels safe in the pocket. He's not a great scrambler, he'll leave the pocket too soon, he doesn't throw it away, and he won't look downfield after the pocket is broken. This hasn't changed from last year. He has to go through his reads and once he's escaped pressure either tuck and run for a few yards or look downfield; he's currently doing neither of those. We cannot afford more overthrows on would be touchdowns. Those are points left on the field every time and our offense drastically needs big plays to thrive.
    2. Now his teammates. His OL hasn't been great and we expected as much. It wasn't terrific last year and we lost a few starters from an already subpar to average group. The problem has been the interior of the OL. OT are going to occasionally get beat but no one can move the ball if your A gaps are being obliterated. Can't run or pass without amazing pass protection from a HB or RB. I don't buy the narrative of receivers not getting open so really this comes down to the OL for teammate issues. WR are playing well imo and RBs and HBs have been good receivers when targeted.
    3. Finally, the coaching. It's obvious that the coaches have not done JS any good service. The offensive decisions should be, if they're not already, turned over to CL, and he should have shifted this offense into a pass first 4 receiver set offense to open up running lanes. We need routes that aren't just screens and streaks. As a coach you have to acknowledge the timing is off on the deep ball and that's as simple as repetition. Overall the coaching staff has failed to play to the strengths of our offense for this season. The playbook we have can work but we have to use our slants, crossing routes, intermediate patterns, and a variety to the run game.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Stidham is like Tom Brady in the sense that when he doesn't feel safe behind his OL his performance is dramatically diminished.

Let me try to encapsulate a bunch of things so that maybe this thread can die and we can talk about something new, a fool's dream I know.

1. Stidham is in all likelihood leaving the program for the NFL regardless of performance and evaluation. Our opinions on the matter really don't matter. If you're dying to voice an opinion we just need a poll with the option A) Stidham will bust and I want to be able to say I told you so B ) Stidham will succeed in the NFL and I want to be able to say I told you so. Until he says otherwise he is g-o-n-e by all accounts. /thisthread
  2. Stidham's performance is disappointing and I don't think anyone can argue against that. Naturally it's partially his fault, partially his teammates, and partially the coaching staff. A lot of the issues aren't a surprise and they're nothing new.
    1. Let's start with the man himself. We saw this last year until the OL became serviceable; Stidham has happy feet and becomes a terribly bad quarterback whenever he no longer feels safe in the pocket. He's not a great scrambler, he'll leave the pocket too soon, he doesn't throw it away, and he won't look downfield after the pocket is broken. This hasn't changed from last year. He has to go through his reads and once he's escaped pressure either tuck and run for a few yards or look downfield; he's currently doing neither of those. We cannot afford more overthrows on would be touchdowns. Those are points left on the field every time and our offense drastically needs big plays to thrive.
    2. Now his teammates. His OL hasn't been great and we expected as much. It wasn't terrific last year and we lost a few starters from an already subpar to average group. The problem has been the interior of the OL. OT are going to occasionally get beat but no one can move the ball if your A gaps are being obliterated. Can't run or pass without amazing pass protection from a HB or RB. I don't buy the narrative of receivers not getting open so really this comes down to the OL for teammate issues. WR are playing well imo and RBs and HBs have been good receivers when targeted.
    3. Finally, the coaching. It's obvious that the coaches have not done JS any good service. The offensive decisions should be, if they're not already, turned over to CL, and he should have shifted this offense into a pass first 4 receiver set offense to open up running lanes. We need routes that aren't just screens and streaks. As a coach you have to acknowledge the timing is off on the deep ball and that's as simple as repetition. Overall the coaching staff has failed to play to the strengths of our offense for this season. The playbook we have can work but we have to use our slants, crossing routes, intermediate patterns, and a variety to the run game.

He needs to drastically fix number 1 or he won’t make it in the league for very long. He must be able to stand in the pocket when it collapses and furthermore, stand tall and take a dang hit while getting the ball off..I haven’t seen him be able to do something like that yet.

6 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

I think the evidence over the last few years (even pre-CCL) is starting to create two camps.  Well, 4 camps when you add the "Gus can do no wrong" camp and the "Fire Gus just cuz he chews too much double-bubble" camp.  But for our purposes, I'm focusing on the two reasonable camps....

Some see what Gus has been recruiting, which looks like Air-raid personnel and wonder "why aren't they running that type Offense?"

Others see that Gus had the most success running the wing/RPO with an exceedingly good running QB and wonder "why are they still running a watered down version of that offense but are recruiting Air-raid personnel?"

What that all boils down to is a performance like last Saturday night where we all scratch our heads and say "I drank what?"

Pretty dang insightful.   

Knowing what we know about Gus and his pride (or stubbornness), I can't believe he isn't meddling each week.   My honest belief is we have made our "system" so dag gum inconsistent/complicated/restricted,  that Stidham can't read what he is being coached b/c he doesn't have the right pkg of players on the field to check into, or he doesn't have more than a couple of options.   I doubt Gus has ever coached a QB whom is he given latitude to .....and they didn't have Spring ball  to get it down (stidham was hurt).

And the bottom line is we have very, very talented players and playmakers.  So that kinda leaves coaching as a problem and only one guy is making $583,000 per month.   

Leadership: the HC is supposed to help the coordinator be successful, not micromanage him.   That's my guess.

On ‎9‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, TigerFanAU said:

WTF? His post had nothing to do with race in any way. You're the only one that brought race into this thread. 

AU-24 is the only one with a chip on his shoulders.

12 hours ago, grandpajay said:

The real question should be, "Will he survive the season or will the OL get him killed?"

Is he really getting hit that much? He’s having to scramble a good bit, but I don’t see him taking a ton of hits. I do see him missing receiver after receiver though. 

3 minutes ago, jared52 said:

Is he really getting hit that much? He’s having to scramble a good bit, but I don’t see him taking a ton of hits. I do see him missing receiver after receiver though. 

The only time I actually remember him getting hit hard it was when he stayed in the pocket and completed the touchdown pass to Williams. Most of the time he is scrambling out of the pocket to his left.

This was the knock on him last year- you pressure him and he folds like a tent. But knowing this, Chip is not putting him in position to be successful. With a terrible line And a skittish quarterback, we like to call plays that take too long. 

I will say that his NFL stock it taking a beating. 

Archived