Will SEC allow Freeze to Auburn

provibe

Why on earth would we want another coach on this staff who has signed #1 QBs, #1 OTs, #1 WRs and beaten Saban multiple times?

Oh, because this is a gazillion-dollar business where only winning matters?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, CR said:

How did today affect Gus's future at AU?

50/50 if he was coming back before the game. After, probably more like 85/15 especially if we change OC to Freeze and get a new oline coach.

Dumb question:  how can the SEC "block" a hire?   Freeze isn't banned from college football like Chip Kelly was.   If the SEC prevented Freeze from getting a job, certainly that opens them up for a liable suit by Freeze.  

Sounds incredulous to me.  

Also, I suspect saban has enough pull, he could have hired whomever he wanted.  I suspect there is more speculation to this story than fact.

Anyone "in the know" here?

23 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

It doesn't matter who our OC is. If Gus won't give them full control of the offense, we're gonna be scratching our heads much the same every year wondering why the offense looks the exact same.

Hard to argue with that, folks!

23 hours ago, caleb1633 said:

It doesn't matter who our OC is. If Gus won't give them full control of the offense, we're gonna be scratching our heads much the same every year wondering why the offense looks the exact same.

His offense is stale and the defenses have long passed him in scheme. He doesn't have the talent to run his offense but he still tries.  He won't change.  

No respectable OC would come to Auburn to run Gus's offense.  

Why is anyone still even talking about Hugh Freeze? Nick Saban tried to hire HF last year as co-OC. Sankey said NO, that it would be inappropriate to have HF in any coaching capacity in the SEC as long as Ole Miss is on probation. HF will not be at Auburn next season in any capacity.

16 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Why do you think it won’t be Freeze? 

In your opinion, would Gus actually back off and let Freeze run the O as he sees fit?  HF's choice of coaches too?

13 minutes ago, AURex said:

Why is anyone still even talking about Hugh Freeze? Nick Saban tried to hire HF last year as co-OC. Sankey said NO, that it would be inappropriate to have HF in any coaching capacity in the SEC as long as Ole Miss is on probation. HF will not be at Auburn next season in any capacity.

Sankey also said he’d reconsider in a “year or two.” Gus has been running a clean program, so that might factor into Sankey’s decision. 

8 minutes ago, AURex said:

Haven’t thought about it that way.  Good post

7 minutes ago, AURex said:

Link please and I’m not sure how last year relates to this year but whatever. 

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:
5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Haven’t thought about it that way.  Good post

Is it though? 😉

Yeah, no disrespect to Rex but I'm inclined to trust WDE a little more at this time, with the info he has at his disposal.

I'm just not sure it's going to matter if Gus still insists on some Frankenstein offense where he still has a lot of control.

3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Why do you think it won’t be Freeze? 

I trust your read on things and know you are often right and not wrong.  Do you think he can get approved & why? I think it would be a great move imho. Do you think we have a reasonable chance ?

Look he cheated big time...and not to mention the call girls. On one hand I just can’t see it happening but on the other hand Gus and Freeze are friends you never know. I’d prefer the Briles kids minimal baggage over Freeze..

9 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Is it though? 😉

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Yeah, no disrespect to Rex but I'm inclined to trust WDE a little more at this time, with the info he has at his disposal.

I'm just not sure it's going to matter if Gus still insists on some Frankenstein offense where he still has a lot of control.

Oh I trust WDE 100% and have a lot of respect for what he says.  And I have told him this.  I was really referring to the fact that it wouldn’t be the best move to have Freeze employed in the SEC while Ole Miss is on probation.  That would be the biggest kick in the face.  While Ole Miss is on a ban, Freeze is carrying on in the SEC like nothing happened.  But the ban would be up next season correct?  So it would be a tad better. 

Freeze would be the only hire of note I could see coming here. He and Gus have history and a similar view of offense. Really, I don't think it matters. Gus isn't going anywhere, Chip will be cut loose as a scapegoat and we'll still be moving ahead with a really bad offensive line, continued questions in the backfield , a new QB and a very predictable and stubborn head coach. There's going to be probably multiple mediocre years ahead so we might as well promote Burns and just wait this thing out one way or the other. Freeze would likely be gone in a year anyway, so our gains would be minimal with him. 

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Oh I trust WDE 100% and have a lot of respect for what he says.  And I have told him this.  I was really referring to the fact that it wouldn’t be the best move to have Freeze employed in the SEC while Ole Miss is on probation.  That would be the biggest kick in the face.  While Ole Miss is on a ban, Freeze is carrying on in the SEC like nothing happened.  But the ban would be up next season correct?  So it would be a tad better. 

Some or most of Ole Miss’ penalties are lifted after this season. They will be bowl eligible next season. 

Freeze would be a moron to try to pull some s*** in his first year back at CFB. 

Gus had a 10 win season with the Ark State team Freeze built. Freeze's O & D were physical at Ole Miss.  If we decide to keep Gus (I pray not) Freeze could toughen up our O like Boom did with our D. We have to prop Gus up with someone if we retain him.    

5 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

Freeze would be the only hire of note I could see coming here. He and Gus have history and a similar view of offense. Really, I don't think it matters. Gus isn't going anywhere, Chip will be cut loose as a scapegoat and we'll still be moving ahead with a really bad offensive line, continued questions in the backfield , a new QB and a very predictable and stubborn head coach. There's going to be probably multiple mediocre years ahead so we might as well promote Burns and just wait this thing out one way or the other. Freeze would likely be gone in a year anyway, so our gains would be minimal with him. 

You’re probably wrong on a lot of this imo. 

25 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

You guys don’t think Troxell, Kim, Prince, Brahms can’t get better? I know Trox and Brahms had some pretty tough injuries to overcome. This year of growing pains plus another off season of training can pay dividends for them next season. Btw if the SEC clears him I can get behind his hire...

20 minutes ago, NCTiger1982 said:

Gus had a 10 win season with the Ark State team Freeze built. Freeze's O & D were physical at Ole Miss.  If we decide to keep Gus (I pray not) Freeze could toughen up our O like Boom did with our D. We have to prop Gus up with someone if we retain him.    

And how did he get some of that talent @ Ole Miss....He Cheated and never sniffed the SEC west title....I don’t see this lack of toughness in Gus’s offense....maybe not as talented/inexperienced at some spots but Gus believes in a physical hard nosed running attack with play action.

Besides Freeze was more finesse. His offense was not physical in the run game but great in the passing game...that’s where I see him being and asset and how he can help Gus.

Archived