Gus to be the Auburn f'ball coach next season per Allen Greene

TitanTiger

21 minutes ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I'll take your ticket? Not for the Gus bus but if you have game tickets lol

You won't have to worry too much if you want tickets friend. Another year of Gus, and they will be pretty cheap to obtain. 

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

You a lawyer or something? Suggest to Relax.

I understand his point.  But instead of bitching about it, I was smart enough to put him on ignore.  Now if all of you would stop quoting him or add that feature to the ignore function where you can't see ignored people even when they are quoted, I'd be ecstatic.

Gus will get the Les Miles special next year.

17 minutes ago, WarEagleSteve said:

If you misinterpreted what I said that badly, then your reading comprehension is atrocious and I have no interest in anything else you have to say. If you did understand it and then chose to willfully misrepresent it in order to make your point, then you were arguing in bad faith and I have no interest in anything else you have to say. Your sarcasm leads me to believe it was the latter. Once again, do better. 

I'm outta likes Steveo, big thumbs up!  You're ok man. Some like Gus and some don't(as a coach at our beloved Auburn). I just happen to be on the don't side. It's not something that I loose sleep over. I just happen to think that tPTB could have made a better hire, and then with the 7 year 49 mil on top of that last year with the product on the field this year. I'm just not happy with it. I wasn't to pleased with last year either.  

Guest WarEagleSteve
8 minutes ago, cctiger said:

I'm outta likes Steveo, big thumbs up!  You're ok man. Some like Gus and some don't(as a coach at our beloved Auburn). I just happen to be on the don't side. It's not something that I loose sleep over. I just happen to think that tPTB could have made a better hire, and then with the 7 year 49 mil on top of that last year with the product on the field this year. I'm just not happy with it. I wasn't to pleased with last year either.  

Honestly dude, I'm not a huge fan of the guy either. I just don't like to see Auburn make knee-jerk, emotional reactions when it comes to hiring and firing. The extension was a bad decision and firing him under the current circumstances is probably a similarly bad decision. I don't want to see us go wandering the wilderness for the next decade because we gambled and lost on a coaching hire. 

BTW, I'm not losing sleep over this either. I just happen to be one of those weirdos that really likes debating people. Sorry if I came across like a jerk in those last few posts. 

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

Gus is getting fired. Period.  He will not leave Auburn by choice.  I  say let's go ahead and fire him.   Giving him another year is only delaying the inevitable. 

When the mega millions get back up to 500 million let me know what lotto numbers to play...

9 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:
The definition of insanity, is, doing the exact same  thing over and over again, expecting things to change. That. Is. Crazy.

What's your point? Just because I  choose not to hate everything Gus Malzahn does or doesnt do you have to be insulting ?  Please grow up.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Nope. Money is there to buy him out as WDE has said many times.

Just a FWIW. PTB liked the above post & he's more connected than anyone on this board. Basically verifies the post.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Just a FWIW. PTB liked the above post & he's more connected than anyone on this board. Basically verifies the post.

Raymond Harbert is worth almost 2 billion dollars.  The money has always been there and will be there it just isn’t the right time for a change.  Even for billionaires $32m mistakes aren’t taken lightly.  

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

it just isn’t the right time for a change

Why not? Gus has proven countless times he refuses to adapt to college football in the year 2018, and as bad or worse, refuses to actually let his assistant coaches do their damn jobs on the field & and to some extent on the recruiting trail. The only viable excuse for not the right time would be money if it weren't there, which it is. And I don't want to hear perception crap from Leath reupping Gus last year. Optic metrics is BS.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Why not? Gus has proven countless times he refuses to adapt to college football in the year 2018, and as bad or worse, refuses to actually let his assistant coaches do their damn jobs on the field & and to some extent on the recruiting trail. The only viable excuse for not the right time would be money if it weren't there, which it is. And I don't want to hear perception crap from Leath reupping Gus last year. Optic metrics is BS.

Because Gus is a good Coach.  Disagree or don’t disagree doesn’t matter to me.  His resume stacks up against anyone that would come here and stacks up to all except the top 3-4 coaches.  If on average is 9-4 for a season no I wouldn’t be satisfied with that but that’s not what you get with Gus.  You get highs and you get lows.  But our highs are more regular now then in the past. Like I have mentioned earlier in the thread in Gus’ 10 years minus 1 year away we have played for 3 SEC championships and won 2... played for 2 NCs and won 1.   As long as we aren’t putting out crappy character players, losing to goofy directional teams, or running a corrupt program then the down seasons of 4-5 losses I will take as long as I get the highs of 12 win seasons as well.  

Auburn has been playing football for a long time we’ve had every type of coach imaginable and still have the highs and lows regardless of type of coach... the x and o coach, the ceo type, the recruiting type, the cheating type.  Everything generally stays about the same.  

I want nothing more then to be that 11-1 team every year but I’m not willing to take that chance to roll the dice every 2-3 years to try to find it.  For any successful story of finding the right guy to take a team over the top I can name 20 other failed attempts.

I’m of the opinion that Gus can get us back to SEC championships to the playoffs.   If you feel differently then that’s your opinion and I respect that but disagree.

For every positive I say someone can counter with a negative.  For every negative I can counter with a positive.

And for all of those reason and because He/they are our coaches I will support them until they are gone.  

And for certain our team our players and our coaches need our support this last 3 games and in recruiting.  

13 hours ago, Auburn Kev said:

What Greene is really saying here is that Malzahn may be a poor head coach but I'm going to lie and tell you he's good because there's no way in hell Auburn U. is going to pay for a $32M buy out. 

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2018/11/auburn-chooses-not-to-hold-gus-malzahn-accountable.html

Joseph Goodman knows what's up!

12 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Be careful.  Dude just died 8 years after eating a live slug and contracting worms and meningitis.  Gus isn’t worth that.  😁

He may have proven he could get through Adversity but he hasn't proven he could get through mediocrity.

6 hours ago, cole256 said:

So don't replace him because we're scared that we may not get better? Be content with being mediocre? I hope people in charge don't suffer from that losing mentality

No, dont replace him because we’re scared that we may not get better. Don’t replace him right now, because it involves a $32 million dollar buyout followed by a $10-$20 million dollar investment in a new coach. Who, unless it’s Bob Stoops, is about a 50-50 gamble on being equal or less than what we have. $40-$50 million is a ridiculously huge spend for the uncertainty of a new coach in this market. I’m not opposed to Gus being gone at all, but signing that deal last year was a terrible business decision and one our current AD apparently feels like we are going to have to live with for another year or two. If and when we do fire him, I hope to God we negotiate a contract tied to incentives that emphasize sustained success, as opposed to instant riches for instant success. We are all tired of this treadmill we are on. 

6 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Well it is peculiar for the drawn up contract to be “lying around for months” and then Steele signs it after tbe Tennessee game. 

Agree. I thought that too. Just what I read about it. I mean after the UT game maybe he thought Gus wouldn't survive and he wanted to make sure he got the bigger money if that happened. Who knows for sure?

7 hours ago, corchjay said:

not directed at you at all Jeff since I know you were just posting the article... But what does the writer of the article expect?  That Gus gets grounded?  Spanked at the 50 yard line during the Liberty game at half time?  

Gus knows the deal.  He will make some staff changes, he will try to find a couple linemen the GT route, maybe a QB if Jarrett is gone and try to improve the offense.  Plus he will try to close out a top 5-7 recruiting cycle.  Roll the dice for next year and see what happens in 2019.

I'm still not giving up on 2018.  We still have a 1/4 of the season to go.  Our 2 biggest rivals and I will never go into a game thinking AU has no chance.  Plus we will have bowl practice, spring practice, summer workouts, fall practices and scrimmages.  That's a lot of opportunity to get better at certain positions of need.  

I didn’t approve of the article at all,although I’m sure several loved it. It was the worst article I’ve ever read. It read like GWill wrote the article.

7 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

If you misinterpreted what I said that badly, then your reading comprehension is atrocious and I have no interest in anything else you have to say. If you did understand it and then chose to willfully misrepresent it in order to make your point, then you were arguing in bad faith and I have no interest in anything else you have to say. Your sarcasm leads me to believe it was the latter. Once again, do better. 

We have another PhD here I see

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

No, dont replace him because we’re scared that we may not get better. Don’t replace him right now, because it involves a $32 million dollar buyout followed by a $10-$20 million dollar investment in a new coach. Who, unless it’s Bob Stoops, is about a 50-50 gamble on being equal or less than what we have. $40-$50 million is a ridiculously huge spend for the uncertainty of a new coach in this market. I’m not opposed to Gus being gone at all, but signing that deal last year was a terrible business decision and one our current AD apparently feels like we are going to have to live with for another year or two. If and when we do fire him, I hope to God we negotiate a contract tied to incentives that emphasize sustained success, as opposed to instant riches for instant success. We are all tired of this treadmill we are on. 

So this contract effects your life how? How exactly would buying out the contract and hiring a new coach effect the team? Do we lose more games because of it? 

4 hours ago, corchjay said:

Because Gus is a good Coach.  Disagree or don’t disagree doesn’t matter to me.  His resume stacks up against anyone that would come here and stacks up to all except the top 3-4 coaches.  If on average is 9-4 for a season no I wouldn’t be satisfied with that but that’s not what you get with Gus.  You get highs and you get lows.  But our highs are more regular now then in the past. Like I have mentioned earlier in the thread in Gus’ 10 years minus 1 year away we have played for 3 SEC championships and won 2... played for 2 NCs and won 1.   As long as we aren’t putting out crappy character players, losing to goofy directional teams, or running a corrupt program then the down seasons of 4-5 losses I will take as long as I get the highs of 12 win seasons as well.  

Auburn has been playing football for a long time we’ve had every type of coach imaginable and still have the highs and lows regardless of type of coach... the x and o coach, the ceo type, the recruiting type, the cheating type.  Everything generally stays about the same.  

I want nothing more then to be that 11-1 team every year but I’m not willing to take that chance to roll the dice every 2-3 years to try to find it.  For any successful story of finding the right guy to take a team over the top I can name 20 other failed attempts.

I’m of the opinion that Gus can get us back to SEC championships to the playoffs.   If you feel differently then that’s your opinion and I respect that but disagree.

For every positive I say someone can counter with a negative.  For every negative I can counter with a positive.

And for all of those reason and because He/they are our coaches I will support them until they are gone.  

And for certain our team our players and our coaches need our support this last 3 games and in recruiting.  

I don't understand crappy character players....first of all we've had those.....second that's the one thing I wouldn't blame on Gus.

I think folks are misinterpreting this a lot. Most votes of confidence come with “we expect him to be here a long time” that didn’t happen. I think this was well played by AG. It still gives him an avenue to reverse course by end of year if Gus completely dumps on the last 4 games ( includes bowl). AG did not create this contract issue Leath did. It is clear that Mr. Greene has informed Gus that his work is not satisfactory and will not be tolerated. This is his first year. Good supervisors make their expectations known and give the person a chance to fulfill them before firing them. He let Gus do his Job this year and has now informed him that there are many deficiencies to be corrected and Gus understands that if they are not he will be terminated. The money is not the issue. I have every confidence ( and Gus should too) that he either rights the ship or packs his bag. No more do overs from this point. 

8 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

More like "be careful with firing a pretty good but deeply flawed coach in the hopes of getting a significantly better one because it may backfire on you" but sure let's call it acceptance of mediocrity. Is there some kind of "willfully misinterpreting an argument" class that I missed or something? This happens way too much to be a coincidence. 

No matter how you dress it up, you just said the same thing. Keep a mediocre coach because you're scared things could be worse. That is saying be happy with mediocrity.  I'm sure before uga hired Kirby you could've come up with a million reasons not to. Fact of the matter is nobody was going to find out until they offered him a job. So I guess you took the same class. Looks like you aced it.

1 minute ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Most votes of confidence come with “we expect him to be here a long time” that didn’t happen.

He explicitly said he would be back next season. He also said he thought Gus would continue being a good coach. His words not mine.

Archived