Leath on Malzahn

ChltteTiger

So when questioned by B. Marcello about Malzahn's status Leath basically deferred to the comments Greene had made a week or so ago in support of another year. Also said he wants Gus back next year.

Sounds to me like he just does not want to take any more blame for the bad contract. The blame would get much louder if Gus were fired

Also I think Marcello should have asked Leath about the ridiculous contract but nothing I read suggests he did. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

So when questioned by B. Marcello about Malzahn's status Leath basically deferred to the comments Greene had made a week or so ago in support of another year. Also said he wants Gus back next year.

Sounds to me like he just does not want to take any more blame for the bad contract. The blame would get much louder if Gus were fired.

You are exactly right. In fact, hes now passing the buck to Allen Greene. Leath gave Gus the damn contract, now he will put the ball in Greenes court. You know, a guy who had nothing to do with the big, irresponsible contract Gus was given. The more I hear of Leath, the less I like him. 

So what u want him to say...override what Greene said? I mean Greene is over the Athletic Dept and said what he said. Now what happens next no one here knows, but what they want to and wish would happen and that’s Gus being fired. He gave him the contract which in hindsight may not have been ideal, but he can’t back track on it now. Either gotta pay up the 32 or give it another ride next season. 

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Leath equals Carpetbagger

As a Yankee kid that went south for school, I resemble that remark :D

I will feel much better if Greene is making the call without pressure from Leath. I doubt that is the case.
Leath wanted to run off the best basketball coach in AU history and Greene convinced him otherwise. He gave out one of the worst contracts in college football history to Gus. Does anyone want him offering input in another coaching decision?

25 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

So what u want him to say...override what Greene said? I mean Greene is over the Athletic Dept and said what he said. Now what happens next no one here knows, but what they want to and wish would happen and that’s Gus being fired. He gave him the contract which in hindsight may not have been ideal, but he can’t back track on it now. Either gotta pay up the 32 or give it another ride next season. 

I don't want him to say anything forward.  I want him to pay it forward.  

Image result for bad decisions thomas sowell

Leath, Greene or whoever....nobody with authority to terminate Gus is gonna tell a beat writer about it during an interview. 

Just more "click bait" by BM....which serves no useful purpose as far as AU sports are concerned. JMO

12 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

if he had asked him about the contract he might never get a chance to talk to him ever again.   Most journalist walk a fine line 

Marcello would be the guy to do it and didn’t.   That was disappointing.

I don’t care who coaches, just Make Auburn Great Again!!!

"Well, I hired what I think is a first-class athletic director in Allen Greene," Leath told Auburn Undercover on Tuesday. "He’s doing a first-class job, so I stand with Allen — and Allen I think was pretty clear with his comments about Gus being here next year. So, I don’t really have anything to add to that specifically."

Asked whether Leath wants Malzahn to be the coach in 2019, the president responded swiftly: "Yep."

Leath was one of the primary men in the room during Malzahn's contract negotiations following the Tigers' advancement to the SEC Championship in December 2017. Malzahn was receiving overtures from Arkansas at the time, providing the coach leverage in talks with Auburn. Outgoing athletics director Jay Jacobs was not part of the contract talks at the time.

Doesn't sound like an actual interview....just some questions asked/answered while Leath was waiting to go into a meeting as I read it.   Not sure what anyone would expect otherwise from Greene or Leath at this point.   Folks here are always complaining about "meddling" …..and looks like leath is trying not to undercut his AD. ..

The piece is linked from al.com if anyone wants to read all of it.  https://auburn.247sports.com/Article/Auburn-president-Gus-Malzahn-will-be-Auburns-coach-in-2019-124692455/

Neither Allen Greene nor any AD is going to go out on the limb of making a coaching change that involves a $32 million buyout without having the backing of the president.  And the president is not going to go out on that limb of making that change without having the money lined up to support it. 

No matter what happens with this, it reflects poorly on Leath.  

But, but, but....I thought this was all Jay Jacob’s fault?

Also, I’m sure the school president did not brief, discuss or talk to his incoming AD, “whom he hired” at all, about this. I’m sure Greene had absolutely, positively, single-handedly, wholeheartedly, no knowledge, no input and no information, regarding Gus’s contract whatsoever.

BTW: “Sarcasm”

1 minute ago, AU-24 said:

Also, I’m sure the school president did not brief, discuss or talk to his incoming AD, “whom he hired” at all, about this. I’m sure Greene had absolutely, positively, single-handedly, wholeheartedly, no knowledge, no input and no information, regarding Gus’s contract whatsoever.

Anyone suggesting Greene had a heavy-hand in Malzahn's contract simply has an agenda against Greene (you don't hide your agenda very well AU-24, even to us newbies).. There will be plenty to judge Greene on in the future, but the Gus contract isn't one of them. Auburn had a lame duck AD in Jay Jacobs when the contract was finalized.

However, Bruce Pearl would be gone without Green. That's a fact.

I’m not a fan of last years contract, but I’m fairness to Leath, he didn’t sign up to manage yet another AU football coaching debacle. He’s a leader of a major university, and seems to be doing that part of his job pretty well. To me, it’s yet another JJ legacy, and now Greene’s issue to fix. I’m really ready for AU to be ran like a premier organization and not like a dysfunctional county DMV office.

4 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Anyone suggesting Greene had a heavy-hand in Malzahn's contract simply has an agenda against Greene (you don't hide your agenda very well AU-24, even to us newbies).. There will be plenty to judge Greene on in the future, but the Gus contract isn't one of them. Auburn had a lame duck AD in Jay Jacobs when the contract was finalized.

When did I say heavy hand? What is it going to take for people like you to realize Jay Jacobs had nothing to do with Gus’s contract? You haven’t been around long enough to realize, I was no Jay Jacobs fan. But it just amazes me how the crowd of Gus, Jacobs, and now Leath are bad guys, and Greene is the greatest guy in the world, continue to crack me up.

Kind of reminds me of WWF wrestling when we were kids. You had your good guys, who could do nothing wrong, and you had your bad, evil guys!

On another note, if you think the holders of the checkbooks, that are donating millions to the university, we’re letting Bruce Pearl go, you’re crazy. This is Auburn, the good old boy network is alive and well. Gus or Pearl will go, when the check writers tell Greene it’s time for them to go.

10 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Don't think Greene had a "heavy hand" in the contract but to suggest that he did not have input or a position of "no problems" before he was actually hired,  is not to be realistic about it.    Greene came in and expect he and Leath wanted the "football thing" settled...and with understanding that he would handle the Pearl thing. 

Nobody is putting this on Greene as I read it..  He did not negotiate the deal ...but almost certainly could have objected...but more likely saw the need to get the football coach nailed down so he did not have to worry about it for a while.....little did he know.....

A lot of timing and circumstances. As everyone should know by now Gus had just beat, the two best teams in the country in Alabama and Georgia. Arkansas was making a play for Gus, so the administration did what they felt they had to do to keep him. The buy out is large, because Arkansas was willing to pay a lesser amount to get Gus.

Obviously, I’m sure admin is probably regretting that decision, but it is what it is. Still trying to figure out how on earth we beat the turds and thuga, then lose to Central Florida but I guess that is ancient history at this point. 

7 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

What is it going to take for people like you to realize Jay Jacobs had nothing to do with Gus’s contract?

Jacobs didn't have anything to do with the contract, he was a lame duck on his way out and dealing with the softball scandal.

I don't blame Greene or Jacobs for Malzahn's contract.  This is on Leath and the Auburn Board of Trustees. You know, the rich guys that are supposed to be smart and have Auburn's best interest at heart.

It's not on a newbie AD that barely had the moving truck unpacked.

50 minutes ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Can we put substandard performance clauses in these contracts!! The BEST thing that could happen to Malzahn personally would be a firing!!!

Agreed. It is long overdue for college football to get these contracts better balanced. Incentives should work both ways. Do XYZ well, and these bonuses and perks come your way. Fail to do these things (ie, losing record in the conference 2 years in a row) and a huge chunk of your buyout disappears. Right now all of these contracts are favoring the coach and agent. It’s an unsustainable business model and is ruining CFB. 

47 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Jacobs didn't have anything to do with the contract

He may not have been involved with the details of the contract, but notice he stayed and collected his paycheck several months after announcing his resignation. If he had walked earlier, we might could’ve had a new AD in place in time to review and impact the process. Either way, it is another poorly handled mess to be cleaned up. 

55 minutes ago, TigerFanAU said:

Jacobs didn't have anything to do with the contract, he was a lame duck on his way out and dealing with the softball scandal.

I don't blame Greene or Jacobs for Malzahn's contract.  This is on Leath and the Auburn Board of Trustees. You know, the rich guys that are supposed to be smart and have Auburn's best interest at heart.

It's not on a newbie AD that barely had the moving truck unpacked.

AND the baseball (Sunny Golloway) wrongful termination lawsuit AND the softball scandal AND the basketball scandal.  Football was one of the only shining moments in AU athletics at the time Jacobs was walking the Green Mile.  

The timing of CGM leveraging the Arky job (lol Arkansas?) offer couldn't have been any better.

6 minutes ago, keesler said:

AND the baseball (Sunny Golloway) wrongful termination lawsuit AND the softball scandal AND the basketball scandal.  Football was one of the only shining moments in AU athletics at the time Jacobs was walking the Green Mile.  

The timing of CGM leveraging the Arky job (lol Arkansas?) offer couldn't have been any better.

Totally agree.  Gus and Slippin' Jimmy really took advantage of the situation which, incidentally, changed my personal view of Gus.  If he's in it for the money, ok, that's fine.  His team's performance can be commensurate with the Top 5 pay or he can GTFO.

25 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Totally agree.  Gus and Slippin' Jimmy really took advantage of the situation which, incidentally, changed my personal view of Gus.  If he's in it for the money, ok, that's fine.  His team's performance can be commensurate with the Top 5 pay or he can GTFO.

I don’t think Gus is in it for the money, but his agent certainly is in the business of getting the best deal for his clients.

Archived