Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Doesn't Stoops live in Florida?

He still has a home in Norman.  But I'm also with WarDamnEagleWDE, I don't think that particular plane was for Stoops/Auburn.

2 hours ago, tbone1430 said:

Hope I’m terribly wrong but this is gonna end up a dumpster fire worse than going to the Birmingham bowl. Buckle your seatbelt folks it’s about to get crazy. We are gonna have to eat gus’ contract then hire a nobody that takes us back 8 years or worse have a lame duck this coming up year and go 4-8. 

E53151D5-3D1E-471D-8E32-411180975D24.gif

So AUGolf’s going to be the next Head Coach?  I knew it would end badly, but not that bad,,.

8 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

Doesn't Stoops live in Florida?

I didn't say we would hire Stoops. I actually think that's over with at this point. But something is def happening behind the scenes with Malzahn. 

No way anyone (media) will know if, where or when any contacts are made. There will be a herd of rabbits released to throw the dogs off the trail.

2 minutes ago, TigerOne said:

No way anyone (media) will know if, where or when any contacts are made. There will be a herd of rabbits released to throw the dogs off the trail.

there are no rabbits being released right now...just silence from everyone.

I just dont think there is any way Gus will be here next year. At this point it is too toxic. He'd be the most disliked coach we've ever had. Record low approved rating. Haha

28 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

That’s how we got in trouble before w SACS...letting athletics wag the dog.

Absolutely wrong . I suggest you go back and review it. This has nothing to do with it.The SACS or the NCAA could care less who we fire and who we hire as a football coach . SMH

7 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Absolutely wrong . I suggest you go back and review it. This has nothing to do with is . The SACS or the NCAA could care less who we fire and who we hire as a football coach . SMH

The comment was about firing Leath, not Gus.

IMO opinion it gets in that grey area once again where the BOT would be firing Leath for not firing Gus and hiring a particular coach...the micromanaging that the BOT was accused of.

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Who is the next "Diamond in the Rough" head coach?

Probably Aranda, Venables, or Brohm but we won't shell out around 100 million for an unknown/unproven HC.

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Who at LSU would have thought a 57.6% winning head coach from Michigan State would get the Bengal Tigers a Conference Championship in two years and National Championship in four?

Anyone who watched football knew Saban was a winner by watching his Michigan State team. He just needed a school with the money and clout to bring in big time recruits. Plus LSU was tired of being a laughing stock after the debacles that were the Archer, Hallman, and DiNardo years. I remember being a teenager and watching Michigan State on ESPN thinking man I'd give anything for that Saban guy to be Auburns coach.

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Where is the guy with a lot of experience as an assistant under a several different coaches at several different schools who then overachieved as a head coach? Where is the guy with 20 years of total coaching experience, but only about 5 years of head coaching experience?

Gene Chizik. 

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Who would have thought a coach with only FCS and non-Power 5 FBS experience, with a 2-1 record against ranked teams (and modestly ranked at that, with wins over #25 and #20, and a loss to #23), would get Florida a National Championship in only two years, and in four years a second Natty, doubling Spurrier's count?

Again, anyone who watched football during the 2004 season knew Meyer was for real. Anyone who could turn Alex Smith into the #1 draft pick was an amazing coach. Now anyone who says they expected Meyer to double Spurriers titles is lying. But anyone who watched college football in 2004 knew Meyer was for real and would do amazing things given the right opportunity. And he got the right one.

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Dabo Swinney is even more different. 16 years as an assistant (are we seeing a trend yet?), but a more limited coaching tree, and a successful transition from interim head coach to average head coach to elite program head coach.

Dabo is even more different because he was never a coordinator. He coached TEs and WRs and had never been more than a position coach when he got his gig at Clemson.

1 hour ago, meh130 said:

Did anyone at Oklahoma expect 14 ten-win seasons out of 18 years when they hired Stoops? Did anyone expect Swinney to produce 8 ten-win seasons and a National Championship out of 11 years when Clemson decided to remove the "interim" label"?

Yes and Yes. Oklahoma is a football blue blood. They expect to contend for championships every year. They have had some bad hires, the 3 hired before Stoops was hired were lackluster (Gibbs, Schnellenberger, and Blake) but they absolutely don't make hires unless they are confident can win championships. Clemson isn't a blue blood. They are "new money" if you will. But even Troy and South Alabama hire coaches they think can bring them conference championships. So inevitably the same was thought about Dabo. Although no one could predict he would be as successful as he has been. 

Look all contracts can be scrutinized and loop holes found. Gus and Sexton know that . They could also regulate Gus to an off field job and replace him with someone else and totally embarrass and humiliate him. Also would cost himnever to coach again because he would not be wanted. Believe me it is in Gus’s best interest to consider a negotiated deal and walk away clean.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

The comment was about firing Leath, not Gus.

They could fire Leath for several reasons like his over- spending on his residence upgrade. Heck they could even fire him for his gross mismanagement of the HC contract.

31 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

That’s how we got in trouble before w SACS...letting athletics wag the dog.

Yeah if it was totally a case of him being on a hot seat because of athletics, I would be with you. But Leath has done nothing to make friends with the academic side either. He is catching heat from all sides. He isn't in hot water ONLY because of his boneheaded extension of Gus. There are other things at play. His own personal additions that have caused the presidents mansion going months over and millions of dollars over budget has made him no friends either. 

He is in a hot soup of his own making. The extension is just another brick in the wall, so to speak.

43 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

I was just about to post this as well.  Tubs coming with straight fire and some bitter truth.  Whoever is in charge of this mess better stick his landing.  Heads will roll if this gets into Tennessee territory.

Remember this fact Leath negotiatedthe contract then presented it to the board with his recommendation they accept it. By the way it’s my understanding that more than one board member frowned on the price tag. Leath pretty much put his career on the line to get the boards approval. So “yes” the board has more than ample reason to fire Leath.

Some of y’all seem to think that if this doesn’t happen with any noise it’s a “mess”. I don’t agree, it’s just a part of the process. Most coaching searches aren’t clean cut. 

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Some of y’all seem to think that if this doesn’t happen with any noise it’s a “mess”. I don’t agree, it’s just a part of the process. Most coaching searches aren’t clean cut. 

Again the problem happened last year with the contract. The majority of AU folks knew it was playing Russian roulette with no empty chambers. Gus is Gus and if there is a way he can screw it up he will. That’s a bet you can put the farm on.

2 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

They could fire Leath for several reasons like his over- spending on his residence upgrade. Heck they could even fire him for his gross mismanagement of the HC contract.

Who approved the residence upgrades? And who's approving the payments for the upgrade?  Leath as to answer to a finance committee, and business managers for large projects like this.   Hell, Leath doesn't have autonomy relative to fully executing CGM's contract extension last year - he reports to a BOT and they have to approve expenditures that run up into the millions.  

Listen, I understand the frustration with the existing contract and the irritation with Leath's approval and recommendation to grant CGM the extension and buyout.  But at the end of the day, some of the very same people that 12 months ago approved that contract are very well the same folks working deals behind the President/Athletic Director and the current HC.

The Auburn Athletic Department and even the damn AU Presidency is still under the thumb of 1-2 boosters.  Are they rogue Boosters?  IDK   But this latest leak to the media does nothing to help Auburn -- and if you aren't helping then your harming at this point.

I love Tubs, but his comment that Auburn can't catch Bama and UGA is hilarious. Tubs is saying AU can't compete with Smart and Saban because HE couldn't compete with Smart and Saban.

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

When you get called out by the National media for trying to hire a coach before you fire your current coach with a $32 million buyout it’s a mess.

7 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

Remember this fact Leath negotiatedthe contract then presented it to the board with his recommendation they accept it. By the way it’s my understanding that more than one board member frowned on the price tag. Leath pretty much put his career on the line to get the boards approval. So “yes” the board has more than ample reason to fire Leath.

What are they waiting on?

Just now, keesler said:

What are they waiting on?

I don’t know only those folks in the circle know. My guess is Leath is trying to limit the damage in his reputation by talking Gus into negotiating. And yes I do believe in the end Gus would negotiate some to protect his pride and future.  Sexton won’t like it but Gus calls the shot. My belief is if he doesn’t they are still prepared to pull the trigger. I can’t belive folks don’t understand keeping Gus will cost us “MORE “ money not less. We have to pay him 100% of his pay if we keep him and only 75% the moment we release him. That’s not even including the damage it will do to ticket sales, donations and business for Auburn businesses.

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

I love Tubs, but his comment that Auburn can't catch Bama and UGA is hilarious. Tubs is saying AU can't compete with Smart and Saban because HE couldn't compete with Smart and Saban.

We left him with a lingering case of Little Brother Syndrome.

Archived