Josh Moon has some Malzahn info

TitanTiger

Just now, Beaker said:

what leverage could Auburn possibly have to make Gus take a new or amended contract?  It's like, "give us some money back when we fire you at some point in the future."

This still doesn't sound like the full story.

Also, there won't be an agreement to let Chip run the O.   Impractical.   You think a HC won't have input?   That's dumb.     

I think there is a lot more to come out.   Not saying Gus is staying or going, but this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

I agree..just weird.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is where we are.

1. Malzahn has a contract with a huge buyout.

2. "Insiders" are saying Gus is negotiating a lower buyout and no opportunity to fix his staff effectively making him less wealthy and tieing his hands behind his back for next season.

The obvious question.

1. How on Earth does this benefit Malzahn?What is his motivation to take such a deal? He doesn't have to do anything. They owe him if they want him gone. He holds literally every card. 

This doesn't make sense at all and I'm starting to think it's a bunch of crap.

9 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Also,why are we believing the same fools who were telling us Stoops was coming to Auburn, less that 24 hours ago? 

Reading comprehension man.  No one said Stoops was coming to AU.  Reporting was that AU had conversations with Stoops people and they were receptive to the idea of Stoops coming if the price was right.  That's it.  There was never a report of it being a done deal.

Maybe they know he wants to fire Chip bad and blocking that from happening is a way to jam Gus up. I mean, the bare minimum that needs to be done is fire some staff members, the fact that Leath and friends are taking that off the table makes no damn sense

1 minute ago, Beaker said:

what leverage could Auburn possibly have to make Gus take a new or amended contract?  It's like, "give us some money back when we fire you at some point in the future."

Also, there won't be an agreement to let Chip run the O.   Impractical.   You think a HC won't have input?   That's dumb.     

I think there is a lot more to come out.   Not saying Gus is staying or going, but this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

The only leverage I can think of is Gus’ ego.

1 minute ago, PoetTiger said:

It seems to me the guy with the biggest checkbook wants Gus to stay. I mean how damn hard is it to fire someone, especially if everyone says the money is not an issue. Fire him and move on or stop with all this foolishness. 

There's two possibilities there, and neither mean the money wasn't there.

1.  The person(s) writing the checks were only willing to do so if an A-list hire could be made to replace him.  The Stoops thing (or some other A-lister) doesn't appear to be working out, so they aren't willing to pay that kind of money for an up and comer.

2.  You have two opposing sides playing a game of chicken here with leaks to the press trying to muddy the waters enough to get what they want.

6 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

I'm on the Gus Bus! Let's roll. We will have another 10+ win season next year and all of this talk will go away again. I think Gus being willing to negotiate a lesser buyout if he sucks next year will make him take a different approach to the gig.. maybe become that CEO and let the OC run. I look at Chip's past and he has never had an offense perform like this year so it can only get better. 

This is why lead paint was banned

Oh well.  I'm outta humor.

Wake me when something's official.

If it's Gus is staying with no coaching changes, nevermind.  Just let me sleep.

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Here is where we are.

1. Malzahn has a contract with a huge buyout.

2. "Insiders" are saying Gus is negotiating a lower buyout and no opportunity to fix his staff effectively making him less wealthy and tieing his hands behind his back for next season.

The obvious question.

1. How on Earth does this benefit Malzahn?What is his motivation to take such a deal? He doesn't have to do anything. They owe him if they want him gone. He holds literally every card. 

This doesn't make sense at all and I'm starting to think it's a bunch of crap.

Not saying I agree or think it’s true, but this is what BM said. 

7B12B9FC-59BC-4D10-831C-889B5EE1FAA3.png

BM: Gus close to accepting changes to stay at AU

AUBURN, Alabama – Though no agreement has been finalized and changes remain possible, Gus Malzahn is on the verge of accepting a reduced buyout and other limitations to remain for his seventh season as Auburn’s head football coach, sources told AuburnUndercover. Malzahn’s buyout, sources said, would be reduced by an unspecified amount. Any coaching staff moves would have to be revenue neutral, effectively removing the possibility of paying buyouts for assistant coaches and assuring Chip Lindsey would remain as offensive coordinator unless he chooses to leave. President Steven Leath laid out the offer in a Sunday meeting with Malzahn. Leath left Tuesday morning for a meeting in Washington, D.C., and, according to athletic department sources, left negotiations with Malzahn in the hands of trustee Raymond Harbert. Malzahn was on the road recruiting Monday night and left on another recruiting trip Tuesday morning. He is not expected to return until late Tuesday night. After Auburn beat Georgia and Alabama, when both were ranked No. 1 last November, Leath, with strong support from Harbert, reached an agreement with Malzahn on a seven-year contract worth $49 million with 75 percent guaranteed. Since then, Auburn has gone 7-7 overall and 4-7 against power-five conference teams. After starting this season ranked No. 8, Auburn finished 7-5 overall and 3-5 in the SEC, creating a firestorm among Auburn supporters and donors. To buy out Malzahn’s contract and make a change would cost approximately $32 million with some $15 million due in 30 days and the rest to be paid in four annual installments. Auburn coaches, sources said, have faced questions about Malzahn’s future on virtually every stop on the recruiting trail over the past two days. In six seasons at Auburn, Malzahn is 52-27 overall and 28-20 in the SEC. In 2013, his first Auburn team was 12-2 overall, 7-1 in the SEC, won the conference championship and lost 34-31 to Florida State in the BCS Championship team. His 2017 team went 10-2 in the regular season and won the West Division championship before losing 28-7 to Georgia in the SEC Championship Game and 34-27 to Central Florida in the Peach Bowl to finish 10-4. From 2014-2016, the combined record was 23-16 overall and 11-13 in the SEC. The Tigers finished 8-5 and 4-4 in 2014 after a 7-1 start, finished 7-6 and 2-6 in 2015 and 8-5 and 5-3 in 2016, losing to Oklahoma in the Sugar Bowl. Malzahn’s bowl record is 1-4, the only win over Memphis in the 2015 Birmingham Bowl. There remains no word on when an agreement will be finalized.

2 minutes ago, ausburn said:

Still alot of wiggle room.  Freeze has no buy out. 

Freeze's buyout isn't relevant.  Lindsey's is.  They won't pay Lindsey's buyout and a salary for Freeze or anyone else.  So either Lindsey would have to depart on his own and forgo his buyout, or Freeze would have to work for free.

2 minutes ago, ausburn said:

Does reduced buyout factor in?  Let non guarantees go and shuffle titles to make room.  Only makes sense as an admin punishment or slap of control.

The reduced buyout is in addition to the revenue neutral stipulation on assistants.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Reading comprehension man.  No one said Stoops was coming to AU.  Reporting was that AU had conversations with Stoops people and they were receptive to the idea of Stoops coming if the price was right.  That's it.  There was never a report of it being a done deal.

I get it man. I don't mean that they literally said it was a done deal. If Bob Stoops was receptive to the idea of coming to Auburn and we dontake it happen, we really do suck. I don't believe it ever even happened, at this point.

5 minutes ago, Beaker said:

If the reporting about TUF not signing off on the contract last year is true, then the leverage to hold this up in courts is there because they could argue that they aren't on the hook for the money.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Freeze's buyout isn't relevant.  Lindsey's is.  They won't pay Lindsey's buyout and a salary for Freeze or anyone else.  So either Lindsey would have to depart on his own and forgo his buyout, or Freeze would have to work for free.

The reduced buyout is in addition to the revenue neutral stipulation on assistants.

So basically you made your bed lie in it? Don't ask us for any help beyond what were doing?

3 minutes ago, WarEagle2423 said:

Not saying I agree or think it’s true, but this is what BM said. 

7B12B9FC-59BC-4D10-831C-889B5EE1FAA3.png

What a crock of ****. He's a loser! I don't give a damn what Gus believes of himself. Why would they have any faith in him? He never backs it up.

1 minute ago, ausburn said:

So basically you made your bed lie in it? Don't ask us for any help beyond what were doing?

Exactly.  Which to me is the worst of all cases we could have been presented with.  I'd feel better if they came back and said the buyout is reduced to $10 million and he's cleaning house on the offensive side of the ball, hiring either Breeze, Kendall Briles or someone else similarly exciting, maybe stealing Dell McGee from UGA as RB and Asst Head Coach.  That's a plan.  This just feels like a purely financial move and sacrificing next season.

2 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

What a crock of ****. He's a loser! I don't give a damn what Gus believes of himself. Why would they have any faith in him? He never backs it up.

Lol right. "Im gonna give up millions, stick around where im not wanted and prove them all wrong!"

34 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

If CL gets full control of the offense again, I'm not as angry.  When Gus has actually given up control of the O, we've flourished.  This would also give credence to what WDE said earlier that people would be surprised about any staff changes made, as CL was not on the chopping block.

IF CGM could genuinely learn how to relinquish micromanaging his coordinators and position coaches, then and only then do I believe that he has any potential for success. I had no idea he was deciding BOTH whom they recruit ALONG with of course whom they allow to play. I already thought it bad enough that he was definitely dictating specific player choices for each position coach. Maybe he could go somewhere and work as an Assistant for another 10 years and come back later.

32 minutes ago, wareagleguy said:

Why put off til tomorrow what you can do today?

34 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

If CL gets full control of the offense again, I'm not as angry.  When Gus has actually given up control of the O, we've flourished.  This would also give credence to what WDE said earlier that people would be surprised about any staff changes made, as CL was not on the chopping block.

Archived