Chip Out As AU OC (thread title updated)

TitanTiger

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Do we really want Golf coaching our team? I mean just look at him...

giphy.gif

Isn't that guy coaching in Baton Rouge?

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Isn't that guy coaching in Baton Rouge?

Yeah. Golf would only accept a bid to the PBR Bowl anyway.

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Why would he come work for gus? That is a career killer.

A 'career killer'. I'm sure you can name a coach or two whose career was 'killed' by coaching at Auburn, under Malzahn.  But I can't think of one.

1 hour ago, aucosby said:

If Freeze is not named in the next day or two then it’s not happening. 

I'd put that timeline by Friday FWIW. Although the sooner would be better.

1 minute ago, SumterAubie said:

A 'career killer'. I'm sure you can name a coach or two whose career was 'killed' by coaching at Auburn, under Malzahn.  But I can't think of one.

Agreed. He's generally been really good at helping fellow coaches move up. 

2 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Yah Chip going from Auburn to Kansas is def moving on up in the world of college football. Rhett had to go to Uconn after Gus sacrificed him. I am sure he really enjoyed storres before SMU came calling. Not exactly living the life of luxury. HMMMM lets see working for Dabo at clemson that is a machine orrrrrrrrr working for Gus and being unemployed in exactly 1 year? Yah I wonder what Streeter would want to do...... It is not like he would be able to call the plays here either. 

2 minutes ago, AUbritt said:

Agreed. He's generally been really good at helping fellow coaches move up. 

I sure hope this is sarcasm. I'm sure every OC would rather be at UConn & Kansas than AU.

Just now, ellitor said:

I sure hope this is sarcasm. I'm sure every OC would rather be at UConn & Kansas than AU.

It's not sarcasm and not just OCs. You may not want to count Muschamp or Bentley or others. But people who've been on the staff (or associated with it) have moved up, as well as down.

Just now, AUbritt said:

It's not sarcasm and not just OCs. You may not want to count Muschamp or Bentley or others. But people who've been on the staff (or associated with it) have moved up, as well as down.

I KNOW you are not about to count Boom as part of Malzahns coaching "tree" haha come on Britt!! You are better than that. Boom was going to leave after 1 year to get away from gus and go be the Georgia DC if he did not get the USC lite job. A lot of why Bentley got hired as on the field role at South Carolina is so he would bring his Star QB son with him.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Yah Chip going from Auburn to Kansas is def moving on up in the world of college football. Rhett had to go to Uconn after Gus sacrificed him. I am sure he really enjoyed storres before SMU came calling. Not exactly living the life of luxury. HMMMM lets see working for Dabo at clemson that is a machine orrrrrrrrr working for Gus and being unemployed in exactly 1 year? Yah I wonder what Streeter would want to do...... It is not like he would be able to call the plays here either. 

How is going to coach at Kansas or at Uconn/SMU a career killer?  It didn't seem to hurt Hand to have coached under Malzahn. Or Muschamp. Or Charlie Harbison. To name three.

2 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

How is going to coach at Kansas or at Uconn/SMU a career killer?  It didn't seem to hurt Hand to have coached under Malzahn. Or Muschamp. Or Charlie Harbison. To name three.

If you cannot see how that is a career killer I cannot help you. Lol CHARLIE HARBINSON?! He had to go to ULL in the sun belt after AU. Him working with the cardinals now has nothing to do with Gus. I know you are not on the Gus Bus. You are just arguing against me right now just to spite me because for some reason you and me never have saw eye to eye. I think it had to do with Gifs! And yah IDK why people keep hiring Herb Hand. He did nothing remotely deserving at AU to deserve the OL coach Job at Texas. He was a fun tweeter here but that was about it.

47 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Just curious. Why do you like Grimes? As a coach and a recruiter I do not think he has brought a lot to the table.

I think he is a good coach but not an elite recruiter. It felt good to have him back after watching Hand's o-lines. But we can do better and Gus must do better if he is going to fix things as he claims.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

I KNOW you are not about to count Boom as part of Malzahns coaching "tree" haha come on Britt!! You are better than that. Boom was going to leave after 1 year to get away from gus and go be the Georgia DC if he did not get the USC lite job. A lot of why Bentley got hired as on the field role at South Carolina is so he would bring his Star QB son with him.

If you just want to count the bad against him and not the good for him, you're cherry picking.

Gus has done a bad enough job that you don't really need to do that.

The main reason for someone not to want to come be Gus's OC is that Gus won't let them run their show. It has nothing to do with it being a career killer. It wouldn't be a career killer for someone like Freeze, nor would it be for someone like Briles (old or young). It might be frustrating as hell, but not a career killer.

Just now, AUbritt said:

If you just want to count the bad against him and not the good for him, you're cherry picking.

Gus has done a bad enough job that you don't really need to do that.

The main reason for someone not to want to come be Gus's OC is that Gus won't let them run their show. It has nothing to do with it being a career killer. It wouldn't be a career killer for someone like Freeze, nor would it be for someone like Briles (old or young). It might be frustrating as hell, but not a career killer.

We are just not going to agree on this. I looking at having to go to Kansas (the worst power 5 job in the country imo) and Uconn as a career killer after previously being the OC at Auburn.

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

We are just not going to agree on this. I looking at having to go to Kansas (the worst power 5 job in the country imo) and Uconn as a career killer after previously being the OC at Auburn.

That's cool, we don't (have to) agree.

1 minute ago, AUbritt said:

That's cool, we don't (have to) agree.

WOOOOO LETS GOOO FAM!!! You still the brodie. It is all gucci here as Duke Williams says! lol.

24 minutes ago, AUbritt said:

Can't count a D coach. Gus has no affect on them. As for Bentley. Analysts like him move up eventually no matter where they are coaching.

5 minutes ago, kd4au said:

I think he is a good coach but not an elite recruiter. It felt good to have him back after watching Hand's o-lines. But we can do better and Gus must do better if he is going to fix things as he claims.

Just do not think we are going to be able to get a elite OL coach to jump under Malzahns current situation unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Just do not think we are going to be able to get a elite OL coach to jump under Malzahns current situation unfortunately. 

Lame duck status.

3 hours ago, homersapien said:

YEA!!!

This has to mean our offensive woes are finally over!!    :bananadance:

You hit the hail on the nad~!

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Can't count a D coach. Gus has not affect on them. As for Bentley. Analysts like him move up eventually no matter where they are coaching.

Look, I'm not trying to suggest Gus is the best coach to coach under. I'm just saying he's not a career killer and shouldn't be tarred with that brush. Does Saban get credit for Kiffin, or only for Kirby? Why is it a good move for Chip to go coach under Les? Not all analysts always move up. Are you going to give Champ credit for Bentley?

Like I said, there's enough valid criticism to lay at Gus's feet that we don't need to suggest he's a career killer (which I happen to think is false).

7 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If you cannot see how that is a career killer I cannot help you. Lol CHARLIE HARBINSON?! He had to go to ULL in the sun belt after AU. Him working with the cardinals now has nothing to do with Gus. I know you are not on the Gus Bus. You are just arguing against me right now just to spite me because for some reason you and me never have saw eye to eye. I think it had to do with Gifs! And yah IDK why people keep hiring Herb Hand. He did nothing remotely deserving at AU to deserve the OL coach Job at Texas. He was a fun tweeter here but that was about it.

I still see no explanation from you on how those two coaches careers are killed  by coaching under Malzahn. Both are OCs at Division 1 schools. There are not many big time schools hiring OCs with as little experience as these two have to offer. Regardless of where they have coached. A career killer would've been only finding a job as wide receivers coach at West Alabama. 

Archived