Chizik weighs in on gus

aubiefifty

14 hours ago, Weagle98 said:

Not sure I agree with this.  Sure those two games are very obvious but what about all the other games where we hardly ever threw mid range passes, never called slants when the LBs were crashing, continued to run up the middle when it was obvious they were stuffing it?  Those are bad play calls and I would say there have been dozens of games that bad play calling was the norm, just not as in your face as those 2 games.

In 2013 & 2014 Auburn averaged around 39 pts/game and close to 500yds/game.  2015 was a step back with 369yds/game 27pts/ game with JJ and a freshman SW.

If you look at this year with a much more talented offense the numbers weren’t much different than 15.

Running up the middle worked great in 13,14 because he had the threat of Marshall outside the tackles.  I can’t speak on slants and mid range passes but passing was more to complement the running game than lead the offense as was attempted this year.  

If you take the 13,14 offense with 16,17,18 defenses you’d have a pretty good team.

13 hours ago, around4ever said:

When do you ever see Gus talking to the players on the sidelines?  Come to think of it, when do you ever see any coaching being done on the sidelines by any of our coaches? 

When Willis makes the wrong read on the read-option down on the goal line, other than that - never by an AU coach

The problem is our expectations. Not in the form of what some of you are thinking when I say that, but the fact that we expected a guy to keep his OC prowess while now dumping an entire promotion's worth of job duties onto his plate.

It's just not possible without help, and Gus doesn't trust anyone enough to actually truly help.

Unless we give Gus a prescription of adderall and say "screw your sleep and family life. Take these meds and prep for the games like you did when you were a full time OC once you complete your HC duties for the day" I don't think we will ever see a team with Gus as HC have a devastating offense anymore. He simply doesn't have the time to be the gameplanner or playcaller that he was able to be as OC. 

"Well, what about 2013???" I'm glad you asked! We were doing the same thing over and over again. Once we figured out nobody could defend our lethal and literal unstoppable personnel combination of Nick Marshall/Tre Mason/Greg Robinson/Jay Prosch with the occasional Ricardo Louis or Corey Grant sweep for variation I don't think it's a stretch to say we didn't need Gus to put in those OC hours he once was putting in to run an offense because we were just doing the same thing over and over with little regard to who our opponents were and like to do.

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

I don't think it's a stretch to say we didn't need Gus to put in those OC hours he once was putting in to run an offense because we were just doing the same thing over and over with little regard to who our opponents were and like to do.

Execution baby! Run 4 or 5 plays, but run them perfect.:laugh:

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

In 2013 & 2014 Auburn averaged around 39 pts/game and close to 500yds/game.  2015 was a step back with 369yds/game 27pts/ game with JJ and a freshman SW.

If you look at this year with a much more talented offense the numbers weren’t much different than 15.

Running up the middle worked great in 13,14 because he had the threat of Marshall outside the tackles.  I can’t speak on slants and mid range passes but passing was more to complement the running game than lead the offense as was attempted this year.  

If you take the 13,14 offense with 16,17,18 defenses you’d have a pretty good team.

Right, but we are talking about offensive play calling and I think you can easily see in the last three years many, many games where the play calling has been horrific.  Not Clemson 2016 horrific but bad play calls in the red zone when we should be scoring TDs and settling for FGs.  Refusal to pass to TEs and running the dang up the middle on first down over and over to where it became a so predictable.  When the majority of people at home can call 60% of the plays, even if they are good plays, isn't a well called game.

18 hours ago, DAG said:

Yes that handsome young fella is me. No, I am nowhere near as rich or savvy as Ivey.

Did you shave your mustache??. 

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Execution baby! Run 4 or 5 plays, but run them perfect.:laugh:

You laugh.   But there is absolute truth to this statement.   If the same formation and same personnel are on the field, and you run those plays to perfection a defense can not defend everything at the same time.  

Auburns problem is they don’t have 5 or 6 plays in the same formation with the same players on the field.   

2 hours ago, aubaseball said:

You laugh.   But there is absolute truth to this statement.   If the same formation and same personnel are on the field, and you run those plays to perfection a defense can not defend everything at the same time.  

Auburns problem is they don’t have 5 or 6 plays in the same formation with the same players on the field.   

I agree to an extent. But once they're figured out, perfect execution only happens when you have better Jimmy's and Joe's.

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 10:16 PM, Gowebb11 said:

Play calling is obviously a game day activity. I’ve come to the conclusion that Gus believes you win or lose a game on what you do on game day. But it is becoming increasingly clear to me that we are entering games out scouted and out schemed by opponents. Scouting and scheming take place well before the game. Weeks before, in todays game. Think about how Gus approaches early season and early parts of games. We are 3-5 games into a season before we settle into starters at some positions. Come game day, we are halfway into the second quarter before Gus figures out what an opponent is doing on defense. Gus needs to realize that whatever plays you call or whoever calls them, results are better when you have properly prepared well before kickoff. 

just now seeing this? Auburn has been so well scouted by the opponent they know our game plan better than our own players and coaches. Auburn is poorly prepared beyond the first couple series of scripted plays. After that its maybe it will work maybe not. Gus approach of taking what the defense gives you never works because the defense adjusts.

What Auburn does in practice doesn't carry over to the game day or how to beat the opponent. Clemson, Tennessee glaring examples.

On 12/12/2018 at 5:26 PM, DAG said:

So another Rhett Lashlee ? Hopefully it will at least play dividends from being of a different mindset.

Think it's really really premature to call Dillingham another Rhett. I do believe that Dilly is a rising star in coaching. Have to see if Gus, Horton and Kodi will listen to Dilly is the question that should be asked. 

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Think it's really really premature to call Dillingham another Rhett. I do believe that Dilly is a rising star in coaching. Have to see if Gus, Horton and Kodi will listen to Dilly is the question that should be asked. 

Yet another OC brought in who wasn't allowed to decide the position coaches. We have seen that a few times before. It didn't work so well for Tony Franklin or Chip Lindsey.

4 hours ago, TigerOne said:

just now seeing this? Auburn has been so well scouted by the opponent they know our game plan better than our own players and coaches. Auburn is poorly prepared beyond the first couple series of scripted plays. After that its maybe it will work maybe not. Gus approach of taking what the defense gives you never works because the defense adjusts.

What Auburn does in practice doesn't carry over to the game day or how to beat the opponent. Clemson, Tennessee glaring examples.

Been this way for years and years.  This is another sign of a coach that's in over his head for this level of college coaching.  He'd do great a a G5 level program, but SEC is too much for him.

3 hours ago, keesler said:

Been this way for years and years.  This is another sign of a coach that's in over his head for this level of college coaching.  He'd do great a a G5 level program, but SEC is too much for him.

Yup. Ellis Johnson didn't like the way we practiced. Will Muschamp apparently didn't like how we practiced and went even further and voiced his displeasure with how we were even going about recruiting. And these are just the things that have made their way out. I imagine when we eventually let Gus go a plethora of other head scratching moments will be made public through random quotes.

Archived