2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Believe it or not it still may end up the best numerically on paper. At .9180 this is by far the best class numerically Gus has had in his tenure. Need some bumps on some guys & gotta finish on guys like MAR & Putnam.

I’m very impressed that our recruits didn’t run for the hills. Gus’s staff is doing a phenomenal job of holding onto what we got.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m very impressed that our recruits didn’t run for the hills. Gus’s staff is doing a phenomenal job of holding onto what we got.

That’s why it’s frustrating when people say he can’t recruit.  If recruits aren’t decommitting with all of this noise and negative recruiting programs are doing, these guys respect Gus more than anyone could imagine.  Good for him.

For what it’s worth, I think last years class is the most impressive of a class as I have seen as far as contributors.  Very underrrated.  

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

That’s why it’s frustrating when people say he can’t recruit.  If recruits aren’t decommitting with all of this noise and negative recruiting programs are doing, these guys respect Gus more than anyone could imagine.  Good for him.

For what it’s worth, I think last years class is the most impressive of a class as I have seen as far as contributors.  Very underrrated.  

It’s an issue with specific positions. OL, LB, and RB to be exact. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Haven't seen anyone say he can't recruit. Now he's not as good of a closer as Nick, Kirby, & Dabo but he can recruit. The biggest knock on him in the recruiting area is his talent evaluation can be questionable at times. See taking JF3 & deciding not to go after legacy Jonah Williams as examples.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, jared52 said:

It’s an issue with specific positions. OL, LB, and RB to be exact. 

Steele has full control of the D players we take FWIW as long as they don't have character issues for Gus to override on.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Haven't say anyone say he can't recruit. Now he's not as good of a closer as Nick, Kirby, & Dabo but he can recruit. The biggest knock on him in the recruiting area is his talent evaluation can be questionable. See taking JF3 & deciding not to go after legacy Jonah Williams as examples.

I may actually disagree slightly in the fact I think he has been able to find sleepers.  Last year was full of them.   With JFIII, my impression was Gus was pressure to get him.  Is that incorrect?

Just now, abw0004 said:

With JFIII, my impression was Gus was pressure to get him.  Is that incorrect?

Who would pressure Gus to take a juco QB who only had 1 start his 1 Juco season? Most people were wanting him to go after the Evans kid who went to Va. Tech instead but he chose JF3.

As for the Sleepers Worm (more underdog than sleeper because of his size), Shedrick, Stuts & Irvin were the only sleepers on O in that class. Worm is the only one from that group we have seen potential from so far. As for the sleepers on D Steele gets credit for evaluating them.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Who questions Malzahns ability to recruit? That is the one positive I can say he has consistently succeeded at. My gripe is on the OL crutin. This has been a problem going back to JB Grimes first stint here. Herb Hand was supposed to be the recruiter and he was just meh. We needed a much better hire than Grimes last year and Gus when for the safe hire like he always has done on the offensive side of the ball since his initial staff besides the Porter Hire. This has been going on for way too long and we are about to get to a point where there is no more band aids and we will be looking as awful with that position group as FSU has for the past 2 seasons. This is a problem that will take a few recruiting classes to turn around not just 1. And it has the potential to completely wreck a generational talent in Bo Nix because he will be having to deal with this more than anyone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Believe it or not it still may end up the best numerically on paper. At .9180 this is by far the best class numerically Gus has had in his tenure. Need some bumps on some guys & gotta finish on guys like MAR & Putnam.

WOW!!! WAR DAMN Travis Williams, Marcus Woodson, Rodney Garner, MUHHHH boy Larry Porter, Kevin Steele and YES Gustav Arthur Malzahn!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO!!!! Love it. This would be a class to really be excited about if WE. COULD. JUST. GET. SOME. QUALITY. OT's.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Football/CompositeCoachRankings/ 

THE OG Rodney Garner still doing work coming in at number 6 on the list as of right now!!! Shout out to Coach Woodson the newbie on the staff being the only other AU coach to be in the top 100 coming in at number 39!!! LETS GOOOO!!!!!!!!! WAR EAGLE COACH!

57 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Who would pressure Gus to take a juco QB who only had 1 start his 1 Juco season? Most people were wanting him to go after the Evans kid who went to Va. Tech instead but he chose JF3.

If I remember correctly after 2016 Gus was told he needed to go get a dual threat QB, so he went and got JFIII but apparently I am misremembering.  My apologies.

53 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Who questions Malzahns ability to recruit? That is the one positive I can say he has consistently succeeded at. My gripe is on the OL crutin. This has been a problem going back to JB Grimes first stint here. Herb Hand was supposed to be the recruiter and he was just meh. We needed a much better hire than Grimes last year and Gus when for the safe hire like he always has done on the offensive side of the ball since his initial staff besides the Porter Hire. This has been going on for way too long and we are about to get to a point where there is no more band aids and we will be looking as awful with that position group as FSU has for the past 2 seasons. This is a problem that will take a few recruiting classes to turn around not just 1. And it has the potential to completely wreck a generational talent in Bo Nix because he will be having to deal with this more than anyone. 

If you look on the football side of the forum there are a bunch of people saying that.  Mostly new, bandwagon people saying that though.  Regarding Grimes, I actually felt the OL did pretty well the last three games against top talent in Georgia and Alabama.  I think with the OL, it takes time to develop properly, which is why most OL freshmen do not start.  I think Hand could not develop at all, just using guys that Grimes developed before him.  I think this rang true this year seeing Hand’s guys he was supposed to develop tanking.  Not saying we keep Grimes, but I think we started to see Grime’s efforts pay off at the end of the season.

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

If I remember correctly after 2016 Gus was told he needed to go get a dual threat QB, so he went and got JFIII but apparently I am misremembering.  My apologies.

If you look on the football side of the forum there are a bunch of people saying that.  Mostly new, bandwagon people saying that though.  Regarding Grimes, I actually felt the OL did pretty well the last three games against top talent in Georgia and Alabama.  I think with the OL, it takes time to develop properly, which is why most OL freshmen do not start.  I think Hand could not develop at all, just using guys that Grimes developed before him.  I think this rang true this year seeing Hand’s guys he was supposed to develop tanking.  Not saying we keep Grimes, but I think we started to see Grime’s efforts pay off at the end of the season.

Regardless Gus either has to do a better job of evaluating OL talent  or trust his OL coaches to do it. He’s the one that made the call on who Hand and Grimes were supposed to go after on the recruiting trail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

WOW!!! WAR DAMN Travis Williams, Marcus Woodson, Rodney Garner, MUHHHH boy Larry Porter, Kevin Steele and YES Gustav Arthur Malzahn!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO!!!! Love it. This would be a class to really be excited about if WE. COULD. JUST. GET. SOME. QUALITY. OT's.

Greg Brown

04D48A26-7476-4E40-93BC-C75DA4BF356F.jpeg

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Maybe we should go after this guy, # 13 OL coach

Gotta have an opening first & at this point not sure there's going to be one. Regardless such talk probably is best for the football forum.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Steele has full control of the D players we take FWIW as long as they don't have character issues for Gus to override on.

Not what Tate says. He said Josh Marsh was a Gus Guy.

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

Not what Tate says. He said Josh Marsh was a Gus Guy.

I love JGT. He's great with team stuff but he knows next to nothing when it comes to AU recruiting.

• Like 1

@ellitor   Is Porter the guy who is keeping the offensive recruits committed?  I have been hearing a lot about him as he has settled in to the area and made relationships.

By the way, could not agree with you more about talent evaluation.

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Is Porter the guy who is keeping the offensive recruits committed?

I'm sure he's playing a big part but as aloof as Gus is to most people & the media he can turn it on with recruits for some reason. One thing he is doing to help hold the O guys is sell what he did as an OC in 2010 now that he is "publically" going to be the play caller. Never mind the fact Ds can sub anytime now an O subs unlike 2010.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'm sure he's playing a big part but as aloof as Gus is to most people & the media he can turn it on with recruits for some reason. One thing he is doing to help hold the O guys is sell what he did as an OC in 2010 now that he is "publically" going to be the play caller. Never mind the fact Ds can sub anytime now an O subs unlike 2010.

I am amazed that they are holding on to the guys, big time props to them.

Football is an evolving game and we are in an era where offenses need to adapt to take advantage of the weaknesses of the defense.  Defenses are now in a position to disguise their coverage as long as they can before the snap.    Watch Fangio with the Bears and his D as an example and look what Chip Kelly was doing in UCLA this last year towards the end.   If a staff is not doing this they are gonna lose games by being out coached, IMO

10 hours ago, aujohnson said:

Saw where Richie Pettibon (OG/OT) is planning to transfer from uat. Sounds like could be a decent pickup for us as much help as we need on the Oline. 

Really, really agree with this.

It is pretty damn hard when you have a blue chip recruit like Bo Nix committed at QB like we have had for a long time and struggle so mightily to get quality OL for him. You know he is working his tail off as well trying to recruit for us. It is just not working for whatever reason and that falls squarely on the coaches shoulders. Those guys just do not want to come here. It is a problem and has been for a few cycles. It will be the death of this team on offense moving forward.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Sad 1