Joey Gatewood

twilli13

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some may think this is going to be a Captain Obvious post but.....I  think with the overall lack of experience coming back numbers 1 and 2 are a wash until we get several games into the season. Unless the starter plays GREAT and and pulls miles ahead of number 2 the QB battle could go on for several weeks into the season and not be decided on GameDay but whoever has the hot hand during the week of practice. This would be worst case but very possible. I think we will be ok with jg or bo. I  hope it's a close race because that would mean that we should have a pretty good backup. 

Thoughts. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

On 4/2/2019 at 1:21 PM, bg5 said:

Personally I hope we don't find out until the game starts. I would love for them to have a clear cut starter at the end of Spring training but not tell anyone who it is. the le the other teams know about who is starting the better. As long as the team knows I'm fine. We will need some advantages this is one place we can have one.   

Do you think it would matter?  

Isn't anyone gonna have film on any of them.  

The rest is Gus O.  GOK's which Gus shows up this year.

On 4/2/2019 at 5:48 PM, doc4aday said:

I see references of Gatewood being compared to Jeremy Johnson. Joey is faster, a better passer, and does not mind running over defenders if needed. JJ was very gun shy and an overall slower runner than Joey. Joey is an all around more athletic QB than JJ. I do not think there really is much comparison between the 2 of them. JJ could not stomach being hit. However, Joey seems to relish running over defenders of which is what is needed  

I don't think I want anyone being compared to JJ.

High expectations promoted by the Head FB coach only lead to me increasing my antidepressant dose after reality set in.

1 hour ago, SlocombTiger said:

Some may think this is going to be a Captain Obvious post but.....I  think with the overall lack of experience coming back numbers 1 and 2 are a wash until we get several games into the season. Unless the starter plays GREAT and and pulls miles ahead of number 2 the QB battle could go on for several weeks into the season and not be decided on GameDay but whoever has the hot hand during the week of practice. This would be worst case but very possible. I think we will be ok with jg or bo. I  hope it's a close race because that would mean that we should have a pretty good backup. 

Thoughts. 

WAR EAGLE!!!

All of this would just be so like CGM and is what I am expecting. I will be shocked and pleasantly surprised if a starter is picked this spring. Honestly, I don't even expect an official depth chart for QB's.

I wish we could get more information about the QB race. I guess the spring ball game will give us a better read on the QB job. I am excited to see how Joey & Bo perform.  I think all of us are waiting to see how the spring game plays out. If the O-line play continues to improve, whoever wins the QB job will benefit greatly. I think last season, the O-line was probably our greatest weakness.  If they play like they did in the bowl game, we could see some good games in 2019. If the O-line goes to crap, superman will not be able to take snaps and make good yardage.

38 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I don't think I want anyone being compared to JJ.

High expectations promoted by the Head FB coach only lead to me increasing my antidepressant dose after reality set in.

SSRIs, SNRIs, Tricyclics, MAOIs, or Atypical antidepressants?   😎

14 hours ago, Sizzle said:

lol even LSU's QB had success running the ball. Running wouldn't be Nix's problem if he had to do it

👌 We shall see.

10 hours ago, aucom96 said:

Cam threw for nearly 3000 yards in the air. That's more than Stidham last season. Marshall was less, but still had 14 TDs in the air. In 2014, it seemed defenses had less respect for Marshall as a passer and crashed the line, attacking the exchange point. Against better defenses, I don't see being a one-dimensional read option team as a winning strategy, but we will see. In either case, I hope Gatewood can make some throws beyond screens if he gets the job. 

Cam threw for 2800 yards over 14 games or roughly 200 yards on average.  Against LSU he had 86 passing yards.  That game was close in score but not on the field.  Most of the SEC games he had 150 yards or less passing.  I wouldn’t say the 2010 offense was a zone read offense in the same breath as the 2013 offense.  Auburn did do a good job spreading the carries around that season.  Mike Dyer didn’t start getting significant carries until later in the season.  To start out it was Mario and Onterrio.  With Worm, Kam, Schwartz, Boobie, DJ, Stove, and maybe Hill you have a lot of options for sweeps and the play action pass on the reads.  That should keep defenses honest if run correctly.  As Gus has always said he runs a run first play action offense.  While there maybe rules that weren’t around in 2010/2013 that slow down offenses and defenses have “figured out” how to stop it there are still plenty of successful teams running it ex: Syracuse.  My final point is while passing is important in a Gus Malzahn offense see: 2015 JJ and 2016 Vandy 1st half, the best offenses have been run heavy with the pass used strategically to keep the defense honest.

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Hopefully Malik transfers

Or changes positions. He'll never be in the NFL as QB but he might be at some other position.

This might come back to bite me but I’m confident with either Nix or Gatewood at QB. I don’t think this is a Sean White/JJ situation. I believe both are really good QBs. I’m much more worried about the RB position than the QB honestly 

5 hours ago, doc4aday said:

SSRIs, SNRIs, Tricyclics, MAOIs, or Atypical antidepressants?   😎

Yes.

8 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

Or changes positions. He'll never be in the NFL as QB but he might be at some other position.

Agreed. I don't understand the notion of wanting him to transfer. We could give him some value to our team and give him a future at another position, especially with Woodson and McGriff coaching the DBs. 

8 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

This might come back to bite me but I’m confident with either Nix or Gatewood at QB. I don’t think this is a Sean White/JJ situation. I believe both are really good QBs. I’m much more worried about the RB position than the QB honestly 

Agree...SW was a good QB on the rare occasions when he was healthy and JJ looked the part....but just never got it figured out.  Those were some bad years. 

Nix and Gatewood look the part ...so the question to be determined is whether one or both figure out the SEC.  I'm optimistic about both and hope it's a tough decision to select the starter. 

8 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

So the thing about Auburn is that something crazy is going to happen just about every season. And we're talking, like, crazy. 30 for 30 would have to do a 120 for 120 on all the bizarre stuff that has gone down in this program just going back to the 80s.

Thing is, those things are crazy because they don't happen more than once. Jeremy Johnson had the worst 3-game start to a season of any SEC QB going back like 15 years or something. We still talk about him because that was crazy. It's probably not going to happen again, not even under Gus. (I consider the Kiehl Frazier thing to be quite different.) Now, the Sean White story isn't all that crazy by itself, but happening at the same time as the JJ story? That's Auburn crazy. And it's super duper unlikely to happen again. 

I won't go as far as to say that I'm confident with either Nix or Gatewood, but I am confident that one of them will be serviceable and that both of them are better options than Sean and JJ. 

I do still get mad about Sean. He had the stuff to be a winner. 

13 hours ago, AUGoo said:

Do you think it would matter?  

Isn't anyone gonna have film on any of them.  

The rest is Gus O.  GOK's which Gus shows up this year.

Every QB this year brings something different to the table. We always show very little in the spring game so there really isn't any film of these guys in the Auburn Off.. Making a team practice for two different QB's means they have to take time away from something else. Gus's O doesn't run the same with different QB's. The running game may look similar but with JG it will have a very different look than it did last year with JS. 

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

So the thing about Auburn is that something crazy is going to happen just about every season. And we're talking, like, crazy. 30 for 30 would have to do a 120 for 120 on all the bizarre stuff that has gone down in this program just going back to the 80s.

This is the one thing that gives me hope for this season.  We have a coach we tried to get rid of during the offseason, who is now doubling down on himself.  We have a TF and RSF battling it out to be our starter behind an OL returning all 5 starters from an embarrassingly bad year in 2018 (although they showed improvement towards the end of the year).  We ended on a promising note, completely destroying an outmatched Purdue team in the Music City Bowl.   Winning it all this coming year would just be the Auburn thing to do!   War Eagle!

1 hour ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

This is the one thing that gives me hope for this season.  We have a coach we tried to get rid of during the offseason, who is now doubling down on himself.  We have a TF and RSF battling it out to be our starter behind an OL returning all 5 starters from an embarrassingly bad year in 2018 (although they showed improvement towards the end of the year).  We ended on a promising note, completely destroying an outmatched Purdue team in the Music City Bowl.   Winning it all this coming year would just be the Auburn thing to do!   War Eagle!

As crazy as Auburn is, if I think too much on the situation it makes me nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

We have a HC we tried to can last yr (some say he's a lame duck) entering his 7th season.  He's doubling down on that scatter brained, inconsistent, stubborn, weird ass play calling offensive scheme that's been hot 'n cold for 5 yrs AND he's backing his play with either a TF or RSF QB neither of which has college/SEC experience and without a solid/sure fire RB to carry the load.😟

7 minutes ago, keesler said:

As crazy as Auburn is, if I think too much on the situation it makes me nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

We have a HC we tried to can last yr (some say he's a lame duck) entering his 7th season.  He's doubling down on that scatter brained, inconsistent, stubborn, weird ass play calling offensive scheme that's been hot 'n cold for 5 yrs AND he's backing his play with either a TF or RSF QB neither of which has college/SEC experience and without a solid/sure fire RB to carry the load.😟

What’s your point? ;)

11 minutes ago, keesler said:

Yeah sounds like the makings of a championship year

giphy.gif

I understand most on this forum are pulling for Joey to win the job. And he may very well be the candidate that gives us the best chance to be successful in 2019. None of us fans really know. It could be any one of the four.  It will be a Gus/Dilly decision. I hope the fan base will support that decision. We have to trust Gus to make the right decision. It is critical for AU in 2019 season and for the next three or four years and also for the careers of our coaches. I'm afraid the backup QB could  possibly end up in transfer portal after fourth or fifth game.  If we've learned anything in the last couple of years it's that 5* quarterbacks do not come to a school to be backup QBs. If Willis transfers he would likely have to step down a notch if he still wants to fulfill his QB dream. So he might decide to stay on as a backup.  And starting QBs still do get injured or sick and have bad games.  But most importantly we're going to have to support these players and coaches if we have the kind of year we all want to have. The talent is there in place.

On 4/2/2019 at 12:34 PM, ellitor said:

Likely won't be done, at least publicly, till around 2 or so weeks before the 1st game.

Correct and probably the best route to go. Maybe pick the top two but wait till fall to decide unless you have one head and shoulders above the other. Remember we will need a good backup at some point of for nothing else than resting the primary. Also both BO and Joey and Malik as well are still young. There will be more maturing over the summer. I know us fans want a name now but we would be much better to wait till closer to starting time. I do believe Gus and Dilly can go into summer with #1 and 2 and start looking at packages both ways and be ready for either.

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I’m hearing Whitlow is greatly improved and Kam also. Worm is not here  at the present but I’m sure he is ready to deliver also. The freshman (DJ) could also be in the mix but I think he needs  time. Throw in our speed guys on the sweep and Miller and or FB in short yardage and goal line formations and I think we can have stellar run game. Also I’m not at the top of the Gus bus list but I do think it’s possible that resorting back to OC might improve the offense. The past couple of years his other duties kept him from being much involved in the offensive preparations each week but then he would interject himself into it on Saturday. That is a recipe for disaster anywhere. I said all along if he wants to call plays on Saturday then call them all week in practice as well. Just my two cents. WDE

14 minutes ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

resorting back to OC might improve the offense. The past couple of years his other duties kept him from being much involved in the offensive preparations each week

Honest question: Has he delegated any head coaching responsibilities in order to make room on his plate for additional/full play-calling responsibilities? 

Archived