Joey Gatewood

twilli13

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

We threw the ball 7 times vs Tennessee and 9 times vs Arkansas in 2013.  Scored a combined 90 points in those games.  I'd do dirty things to have that offense back.

That offense was a beautiful dream. lol

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That offense was a beautiful dream. lol

I'd rather have a Lincoln Riley OU offense.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Amen. Why not be elite at both instead of just 1 phase of the game? Oklahoma is impossible to stop because they are elite at running and passing the ball. 

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Amen. Why not be elite at both instead of just 1 phase of the game? Oklahoma is impossible to stop because they are elite at running and passing the ball. 

It’s an elite passing offense. Auburn’s peak rushing offense blows their offense out of the water.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

I don’t give a crap about that offense to be honest.

On 4/3/2019 at 11:59 AM, bigbird said:

The ZR can't be a primary offense anymore.  It can be used periodically to keep defenses off balance, but it can't be the staple of the offense. It has been figured out.

The ZR is based off reading an unblocked DE but today DCs makes QB make multiple reads with flipping linebackers or pulling safeties down to make reads more difficult and reducing the effectiveness.  A counter would be for a coach to pull another running back in backfield and if quarterback keeps ball he has another trailing back to pitch to like the wishbone or veer.

12 hours ago, Sizzle said:

You can't coach football like basketball. It just doesn't work that way. 

I’ve seen football coaches that could do it. Tubs was always a guy that could get the most out of his guys just wouldn’t spend the time recruiting. The coach at UCF that beat us with his 3 stars. What Bruce did was convince them if they went all in they could beat anyone. Doesn’t matter if you’re coaching 3 or 100. You have to be a salesman just like Bruce.

34 minutes ago, James Howell said:

The ZR is based off reading an unblocked DE but today DCs makes QB make multiple reads with flipping linebackers or pulling safeties down to make reads more difficult and reducing the effectiveness.  A counter would be for a coach to pull another running back in backfield and if quarterback keeps ball he has another trailing back to pitch to like the wishbone or veer.

Doesn’t matter what your system is someone will find an answer to it. If your not improving your plan each year then you will be getting beat.

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

I would take it

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

It’s an elite passing offense. Auburn’s peak rushing offense blows their offense out of the water.

Yah you do mean our peak rushing offense...

We could barely run through water last year and had to rely on the pass to set up the run. It finally clicked against purdue. We need a decent offensive line to lean on this year.

I think why everyone likes Oklahoma s and Lincoln Riley's offense is that he's okay to mix up his tendencies. His goal is to score and put the pressure on the other teams defense.

Back to back Heisman trophy winners. Not too bad

Just because the OU run game isnt an all time anomaly like the 2013 Auburn offense doesn't mean it isn't elite lol. Their peak offense blows that out of the water just to follow it out of the water and finish it off. In no capacity would I pick having an elite running game and a hardly there passing game over having an unstoppable passing game with a top 11 running game like OU has. Just the margin of error required to make that 2013 system work, and the fact it hasnt worked since, should dissuade you from picking against the notion 

5 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

Yah you do mean our peak rushing offense...

I said this right? 

Whenever Lincoln Riley coaches as an OC (not HC) in Auburn, consider me on board. 

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Just because the OU run game isnt an all time anomaly like the 2013 Auburn offense doesn't mean it isn't elite lol. Their peak offense blows that out of the water just to follow it out of the water and finish it off. In no capacity would I pick having an elite running game and a hardly there passing game over having an unstoppable passing game with a top 11 running game like OU has. Just the margin of error required to make that 2013 system work, and the fact it hasnt worked since, should dissuade you from picking against the notion 

Lincoln Riley as a head coach has now groomed two Heisman caliber QBs and has an offense that has been to the playoffs two years in a row. There is a reason his name keeps getting placed in NFL rumors. This honestly shouldn't even be a debate.

51 minutes ago, DAG said:

Lincoln Riley as a head coach has now groomed two Heisman caliber QBs and has an offense that has been to the playoffs two years in a row. There is a reason his name keeps getting placed in NFL rumors. This honestly shouldn't even be a debate.

Also, the 2010 AU offense was dependent on Cam

10 hours ago, DAG said:

I would take it

Does it come with a QB who can run it to perfection?  

1 hour ago, DAG said:

Lincoln Riley as a head coach has now groomed two Heisman caliber QBs and has an offense that has been to the playoffs two years in a row.

But Gus cannot win without transfers. Amirite?

4 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Does it come with a QB who can run it to perfection?  

Yep! And that is another thing. The guy goes out and gets those QBs! I know quite a few people on here like to think that getting the best prospects to win doesn't take a skillset, but yes it does. That is another reason why I consider him to be a very good coach.  He does have to eventually get over the hump though.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Yep! And that is another thing. The guy goes out and gets those QBs! I know quite a few people on here like to think that getting the best prospects to win doesn't take a skillset, but yes it does. That is another reason why I consider him to be a very good coach.  He does have to eventually get over the hump though.

His own QB that he recruited and developed is gonna play for West Va.....hoping he has a career day against the sooners.... I'm not saying that he lucked into his two Heisman QBs but they were right for him and because of their size, most schools did not take much of a look.   Should be fun to see what happens this year with Hurt….a different type of QB from the last two. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

His own QB that he recruited and developed is gonna play for West Va.....hoping he has a career day against the sooners.... I'm not saying that he lucked into his two Heisman QBs but they were right for him and because of their size, most schools did not take much of a look.   Should be fun to see what happens this year with Hurt….a different type of QB from the last two. 

Now Baker Mayfield was groomed into a Heisman QB. Let's not get carried away. Baker transferred to OU as a walk-on. Granted he played as a true freshman at Texas Tech. However, Lincoln shouldn't be slighted in his development. The same way Gus shouldn't be slighted into taking a chance in getting Cam Newton, who was a 5 star back up to Tim Tebow. Same thing with Kyler. He played his freshman year with the Aggies but relied way too much on his athleticism.  He grew as a player at OU. I expect the same from Jalen.

2 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Mayfield was in his 3rd year starting at OU when he won the Heisman and Riley won 12 games in year 1. (And also taught a masterclass on balanced, creative offense against some SEC team in their bowl game that year.) Guess who was Mayfield's OC for those first 2 years? Riley developed Mayfield. 

Murray was in his 2nd year and 1st year starting. Riley didn't develop him to the extent that he developed Mayfield, but he did plug Murray in after having him for a year in the program and immediately went to the CFP playoff and won another Heisman. 

Also, you say "His own QB that he recruited and developed and is gonna play for" another P5 school as if it's a bad thing. You do realize that his leftovers being good enough to start at a decent D1 program looks fantastic on his resume and is a big feather in his cap, yes?

1 minute ago, DAG said:

He grew as a player at OU. I expect the same from Jalen.

No doubt about it.....but Jalen is more "developed" than the previous two but toward a different offensive style....and does not have the speed of the previous guys. Just saying, I don't think we see the same offense....maybe the same video point totals in the Big 12 where defense is an afterthought but ???.

Just now, AU64 said:

No doubt about it.....but Jalen is more "developed" than the previous two but toward a different offensive style....and does not have the speed of the previous guys. Just saying, I don't think we see the same offense....maybe the same video point totals in the Big 12 where defense is an afterthought but ???.

I don't think we will either. I do think that Lincoln Riley will adapt and prove to continue to have success on the offensive end, however.  Hmm, Iono. Defense is bad in the big 12 but they put up 45 points against UGA in 2017 and 34 against Bama last year. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Also, you say "His own QB that he recruited and developed and is gonna play for" another P5 school as if it's a bad thing. You do realize that his leftovers being good enough to start at a decent D1 program looks fantastic on his resume and is a big feather in his cap, yes?

could be....but maybe he screwed the guy...getting him to hang around and waste his career with promises that he would get to play...and then hiring Jalen to come in.       Unfortunately, the guy transferred based on potential and not accomplishments...played very little at OU despite the sooners running roughshod over most opponents ...at a time when Mayfield and Murray were able to pad their stats.   JMO

As I say....will be interest to see what Hurts does. and what happens to the 5* QB freshman. 

Archived