Joey Gatewood

twilli13

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

My wife is one as well. It's took a while for me to really comprehend how much it affects her.

We prefer not to talk about it, of course, being introverts and all. Sympathy is just another form of attention that we'd rather not call upon ourselves. :laugh:

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great pix and examples..... can identify.    I was in sales/marketing for about 15 years and really had to psyche myself up to make a sales call....any gathering of more than a half dozen people was awful.   Now...many sales calls and meetings later and years later.....nothing has changed.    I guess we are who we are....and most of us do the best we can with what we have. 

Gus and BP are very different people and no point in wishing otherwise.  Maybe it is the sport they find themselves in......can't think of too many really extroverted football coaches....most of the better known ones seem to be contemplative type guys...planners, schemers, etc. and just go through the motions with media alum groups.    

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Gus and BP are very different people and no point in wishing otherwise.  Maybe it is the sport they find themselves in......can't think of too many really extroverted football coaches....most of the better known ones seem to be contemplative type guys...planners, schemers, etc. and just go through the motions with media alum groups.  

Many of them do more than go through the motions. But most of them at least go through the motions. Gus won't even do that and it has hindered our program. 

People think the media hate Auburn. No, they just hate having to try to cover Auburn football with Gus as head coach. This is not me bashing Gus. This is something that is widely known and has been spoken about at length. 

I'm glad that Greene is doing what he can to let Gus play to his strengths, or at least try to alleviate his weaknesses. 

By the way, here's a great piece on how being more open- and dispensing with needless paranoia- is an asset to a program. It's also a piece about how the best coach in the game does a lot more than go through the motions. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Many of them do more than go through the motions. But most of them at least go through the motions. Gus won't even do that and it has hindered our program. 

Gus makes some appearances, he recruits, he attends basketball games, etc. He’s not ever going to be Bruce Pearl but he’s at least trying. 

People think the media hate Auburn. No, they just hate having to try to cover Auburn football with Gus as head coach. This is not me bashing Gus. This is something that is widely known and has been spoken about at length. 

I'm glad that Greene is doing what he can to let Gus play to his strengths, or at least try to alleviate his weaknesses. 

By the way, here's a great piece on how being more open- and dispensing with needless paranoia- is an asset to a program. It's also a piece about how the best coach in the game does a lot more than go through the motions. 

Good linked article...JMO but that's what staff is for...and I think staff has been the weakest area of our athletic department and football program.  Lots of changes in those roles this year and hopefully we can see some improvements in the relationship area.    Greene has brought a new look to the department which I'm happy to see.

From what I have seen for years,   NS is no charmer with the media either....but has a much more sympathetic media to deal with....especially after he reamed  a couple of them out publicly in front of their peers.   

As for the media...start wherever you want...AP, Yahoo, SI, BSPN etc. etc.  and see how they are treating BP these days....his likability is not getting him too much deference as they drag up his history and hang CP around his neck too.   Gus still dealing with the hangover of the Cam years so I don't blame him for being a bit paranoid…..and I think Joseph Heller probably had it right. 

Then we have successful coaches like Bill Belichick who is at introvert level max with the media. So I guess there is no 'one way' to do things, whatever works.

21 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Good linked article...JMO but that's what staff is for...and I think staff has been the weakest area of our athletic department and football program.  Lots of changes in those roles this year and hopefully we can see some improvements in the relationship area.    Greene has brought a new look to the department which I'm happy to see.

From what I have seen for years,   NS is no charmer with the media either....but has a much more sympathetic media to deal with....especially after he reamed  a couple of them out publicly in front of their peers.   

As for the media...start wherever you want...AP, Yahoo, SI, BSPN etc. etc.  and see how they are treating BP these days....his likability is not getting him too much deference as they drag up his history and hang CP around his neck too.   Gus still dealing with the hangover of the Cam years so I don't blame him for being a bit paranoid…..and I think Joseph Heller probably had it right. 

1. I know. You always blame Gus's underlings and never the man himself. As for what staff is for, they're there to implement the coach's vision. saban's is complete and successful. That's why he has major staff turnover every season and the results are always the same. Gus is still figuring his out. Or at least we hope he's trying and not truly just doubling down on the same old same old. 

2. saban makes the press's job very easy. He's interesting. He offers opinions. Those tirades make great soundbytes and make the journos' jobs easier. Not to mention, they successfully deflect attention away from whatever they're meant to.

3. The national media overall has been quite cordial to Bruce. They strongly prefer a guy with a personality and a checkered past to milquetoast. Of course there are a few axes to grind (the always dependable Forde) and nobodies trying to make names for themselves (the chick who literally wrote a hit piece one day and then put out a praise piece the next) out there, but they do not represent the overall narrative. 

It's true that comparisons are useless because Gus will never have the tools for that part of the job that most other big time coaches have. No disagreement there. What some folks have to accept is that many other folks are going to keep hoping we get a coach that does have all the tools. We'd all prefer that the current guy become that kind of coach, but the clock is ticking and his hourly rate is obscene. 

9 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

Then we have successful coaches like Bill Belichick who is at introvert level max with the media. So I guess there is no 'one way' to do things, whatever works.

Belichick is an NFL coach. Completely different job description. 

Edit: "Very" different job description. Not "completely". I failed there. 

I am not an introvert but I have to say the older I get the less I like people. You can only hear the same bs from them so many times. Dogs and cats can carry on a better conversation than some people I know and they're better company, lol.  

6 minutes ago, IronMan70 said:

I am not an introvert but I have to say the older I get the less I like people. You can only hear the same bs from them so many times. Dogs and cats can carry on a better conversation than some people I know and they're better company, lol.  

certainly more loyal and non-judgmental....

45 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Gus makes some appearances,

Don't know what his calendar looks like but we frequently see him at the golf events, fund raisers, pushing issues like tornado relief....stuff like that and likely alum events too.    Considering what players and families say about him I'd say he's much better in smaller groups which is good for recruiting perhaps..   Not sure what he's supposed to do that he is not doing but I'm pretty sure AG will let him know what's expected?   :dunno:

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Belichick is an NFL coach. Completely different job description. 

Naa, the level doesn't matter. It's the same comparison and all part of the same profession. Coaching personality type vs the media.  

1 minute ago, IronMan70 said:

Naa, the level doesn't matter. It's the same comparison and all part of the same profession. Coaching personality type vs the media.  

Agree to disagree. 

I will agree that it wouldn't matter if we won like the Patriots do, but I can't agree that we wouldn't have a better shot at winning like they do if our coach managed the media better. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

certainly more loyal and non-judgmental....

That’s why I prefer to talk to kids instead of adults. My wife says it’s creepy but kids just like to have fun and adults are.........well adults. 

1 hour ago, IronMan70 said:

Kindred spirits we are...

56 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Agree to disagree. 

I will agree that it wouldn't matter if we won like the Patriots do, but I can't agree that we wouldn't have a better shot at winning like they do if our coach managed the media better. 

Am I reading this right? If CGM managed the media better the football team would have a better shot at winning?

1 minute ago, WaynesAUworld said:

Am I reading this right? If CGM managed the media better the football team would have a better shot at winning?

Do you disagree that media relations are an important part of a major athletic department? 

Did you know that Auburn has 4 SIDs just for football?

Do you not think that the way the media perceives our football program matters at all? If you don't think it does, then we can agree to disagree. If you do think it matters, then why?

25 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Do you disagree that media relations are an important part of a major athletic department? 

Did you know that Auburn has 4 SIDs just for football?

Do you not think that the way the media perceives our football program matters at all? If you don't think it does, then we can agree to disagree. If you do think it matters, then why?

Who is influenced by the media that matters?  Future players?  I seriously doubt it.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Who is influenced by the media that matters?  Future players?  I seriously doubt it.

You don't think it matters at all to a prospect what they see about one of their suitors in the media? Again, I'll just have to let you think that. I disagree.

If media doesn't matter, then there are a LOT of coaches and ADs out there wasting a LOT of time. 

5 hours ago, bigbird said:

My wife is one as well. It's took a while for me to really comprehend how much it affects her.

There is a great book called "Quiet" that nicely explains us  introverts- what makes them tick, why they aren't "anti-social", etc. I gave it to my extroverted Dad so that he might understand me after all of these years....he never read it, lol (probably too busy talking to people).

Any chance we can piggyback on this and get a misophonia support group going? 

Y'all just let me know when you're done eating and I'll come back to discuss options.

54 minutes ago, fredst said:

There is a great book called "Quiet" that nicely explains us  introverts- what makes them tick, why they aren't "anti-social", etc. I gave it to my extroverted Dad so that he might understand me after all of these years....he never read it, lol (probably too busy talking to people).

It makes sense that this board is full of intros but you didn’t strike me as one. Next am I going to hear that Gwill is like sober Raj on Big Bang Theory?

1 hour ago, fredst said:

YOU ARE A INTROVERT?!?!??!!!!! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?????????????????????????????? YOU WOULD BE THE LAST PERSON I WOULD OF GUESSED!!!!!!! NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't you put that evil on us RICKY BOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. I WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS!!!!! GIF bro's do not let other gif bro's BE INTROVERTS! lmao

sad.gif

leo.gif

9 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

YOU ARE A INTROVERT?!?!??!!!!! WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?????????????????????????????? YOU WOULD BE THE LAST PERSON I WOULD OF GUESSED!!!!!!! NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't you put that evil on us RICKY BOBBY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol. I WILL NOT ACCEPT THIS!!!!! GIF bro's do not let other gif bro's BE INTROVERTS! lmao

sad.gif

leo.gif

I'd ask what's wrong with being an introvert, but then it would turn into a whole thing, and who's got the bandwidth for that on a Friday afternoon, amirite?!?!

Nah, it's just about time to go home, put on some sweatpants, and not answer phone calls*. Crippling anxiety about our carefully curated social obligations for the weekend can wait til the morning. 

*Not answer phone calls, but totally respond to text messages! Once we've recharged and had a drink or two, of course.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'd ask what's wrong with being an introvert, but then it would turn into a whole thing, and who's got the bandwidth for that on a Friday afternoon, amirite?!?!

Nah, it's just about time to go home, put on some sweatpants, and not answer phone calls*. Crippling anxiety about our carefully curated social obligations for the weekend can wait til the morning. 

*Not answer phone calls, but totally respond to text messages! Once we've recharged and had a drink or two, of course.

BECAUSE I AM TERRIFIED that if someone is a Introvert that they will *gulp* have the personality of Arthur Gustavo Malzahn III !!!!!!!!!! lol. That is the scariest thing in the world to me! One in my life is enough! lmao. But in all seriousness  Mr Fred is one of the LAST people I would of guessed would of been a introvert. I thought we were kindred spirits. Instead we were just 2 ships passing in the night!!! hahaha sighhhhhhhhhh. It will take some getting used to since I feel BAMBOOZLED LOOFY!!!!! 

gus.png

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

It makes sense that this board is full of intros but you didn’t strike me as one. Next am I going to hear that Gwill is like sober Raj on Big Bang Theory?

I’m a lot more interesting on a message board than in person, lol. As for the question about @GwillMac6....no chance

Archived