Practice News & Notes: 8/14 (Scrimmage #2)

ellitor

7 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I'm def a Boobie man.

Me too- He was super cool to my kid @ A-Day this year. He was getting mobbed and still took the time to make her feel special.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Boobie seems to be the vocal leader of the offense regardless of who starts at QB

I hope he can maintain that level of leadership throughout the season!

6 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

I hope he can maintain that level of leadership throughout the season!

While definitely vocal, I'm not sure it's leadership yet.

Maybe I took what he said wrong but Marcello on JOX just now didn’t sound overly optimistic about the offense being potent.  Said either Qb would have to be elite to make the offense work.  Maybe he’s just being conservative.  Also used the phrase the QBs are going to have to figure it out.  Just reading between the lines.  

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Maybe I took what he said wrong but Marcello on JOX just now didn’t sound overly optimistic about the offense being potent.  Said either Qb would have to be elite to make the offense work.  Maybe he’s just being conservative.  Also used the phrase the QBs are going to have to figure it out.  Just reading between the lines.  

Don't trust anything Marcello says. He's usually wrong, and he actually uses this forum as one of his key sources.

4 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I mean they are freshmen. Of course they are going to struggle at first.

10 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Marcello is just kind of a downer all the time. He could win the Powerball tonight and would say, "It was ok I guess." 

4 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Marcello is just kind of a downer all the time. He could win the Powerball tonight and would say, "It was ok I guess." 

See the source image=See the source image

5 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Not to mention we were without arguably our 4 most reliable receivers (3/4 who would’ve played if it was gameday). It sounds like the o-line improved and that’s the biggest takeaway from today imo. 

20 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Sounds about right with the struggles on the OL and back up wide receivers who may have to play more than the staff would like.

19 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Don't trust anything Marcello says. He's usually wrong, and he actually uses this forum as one of his key sources.

He definitely has his issues but he isn’t saying anything we haven’t already learned from other info the past couple of weeks.

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

A pumped up Boobee is always better than a deflated Boobee!

....I just....I'm sorry.  Low hanging fruit is just hard to resist...

Low Hanging Fruit is my Cher cover band.

Gus Malzahn on QB battle: ‘I can’t really tell you any more than I did last time’

Updated Aug 14, 1:27 PM;Posted Aug 14, 1:26 PM

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Bo Nix Auburn Football practice on Monday, Aug. 12, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

10 shares

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

The season starts in 17 days, so at some point soon, Auburn will have to name a starting quarterback. But according to head coach Gus Malzahn, nothing changed between from the end of the first scrimmage six days ago, to the end of the second scrimmage on Wednesday.

“Sitting here today I can’t really tell you any more than I did last time, other than the fact we have two scrimmages now,” Malzahn said. “And we’re getting more and more information.”

Auburn has purposefully been tight-lipped about the quarterback battle. Every player, when asked, has, on cue, said that “both” have been really good. Every player, to a man, has not said a word about separation, even with Auburn nearly two full weeks into fall camp.

Senior RB Kam Martin was even asked if their is separation, but they are choosing not to say.

“Nah, it’s really close,” Martin said. “Because both of them can do different things, you know what I mean?”

DB Noah Igbinoghene was even asked if they’d been instructed not to talk about the QB leaderboard.

“No. I promise,” Igbinoghene said. “They’re both doing their thing. If you come out to practice, they’re both doing their thing.”

But of course, the media is barred from all about an hour total of fall camp, including the scrimmages. So we’ll have to take their word for it. The battle is, of course, between redshirt freshman Joey Gatewood and true freshman, Bo Nix.

It’s been Nix that’s typically gone out first in practices. But Malzahn was careful to point out on Wednesday that they’re both getting equal opportunities in different drills — specifically two-minute drills that the team has been focusing on the last couple of days.

Malzahn wouldn’t commit to having a QB named by the time classes start on Aug. 19, or the first day of practice after that on the 20th.

""I’m not ready to say that today," Malzahn said. “Like I said at the very first -- whenever it feels right, you want to be, like, really clear. That’s when we’ll name it. That’ll be two weeks away -- when you start school, that’s really when you start the emphasis on them.”

Perhaps the QB battle is as close as everyone has stated publicly. Perhaps Auburn will send out a Friday afternoon press release. For right now, at least on the surface, all we know is that they gathered more information on Wednesday, but there’s no telling what that information is.

“This next week will be a little bit of the first, and a little bit of keep developing the finer tuned things," Malzahn said. "Not ready to say that yet, but we will have our base plan in for Oregon so we can really start stressing things.”

Rewinding Gus Malzahn’s press conference following 2nd scrimmage

Updated Aug 14, 12:36 PM;Posted Aug 14, 11:36 AM

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn watches his team scrimmage Saturday. Auburn football scrimmage on Saturday, March 30, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

6 shares

By Sam Blum | SBlum@al.com

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn spoke with the media on Wednesday morning about his team’s second scrimmage. Malzahn was asked about the quarterbacks, the offense in general, as well as which players were limited by injury.

Follow along below to hear what he has to say.

Live Updates:

-- They went live on the field goal attempts today.

-- They did some sky kicks, Malzahn said. They also eight two-minute situations with SEC officials.

-- Both quarterbacks rotated equally the last two days with the two-minute situations.

-- There was more emphasis throwing the ball. Malzahn said there “were a couple of big drops” but that the offense rebounded.

-- The last three days were extremely hot, and Malzahn said there were no complaints and the team is building character.

-- Sitting here today, I can’t tell you anymore about QBs than last week, Malzahn said.

-- “Both those guys did some good things.” -- Gus on QBs.

-- Jay Jay Wilson stood out for Auburn, Malzahn said.

-- Zach Farrar is doing well.

-- “The defense did a good job. What I like is you can tell we’re an experienced defense.”

-- “Whenever it feels right, you want to be really clear, that’s when we’ll name it.” -- Gus on QBs.

-- Matthew Hill is getting most of the reps with the 1s at WR so far.

-- Seth Williams was limited in practice.

Inconsistency an issue for Auburn wide receivers without top playmakers in 2nd scrimmage

Updated Aug 14, 1:58 PM;Posted Aug 14, 1:48 PM

Will Hastings Auburn football first practice on Friday, Aug. 2, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

1 share

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Nearly 45 minutes after Auburn wrapped up its second scrimmage of the fall, the Tigers’ wide receivers ambled off the field and through the tunnel at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

The heat index was about 104 degrees, and there was a Kona Ice shaved-ice truck awaiting them on Heisman Drive just outside the stadium. It was a hard-earned treat after an otherwise uneven day for Auburn’s receiving corps, which had its share of issues Wednesday morning and stayed long after the scrimmage to run sprints on Pat Dye Field.

“Our receivers were a little inconsistent,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. “We had a couple of big drops that really would have kept drives alive and probably would have put points on the board as far as that goes.”

The drops hindered what was overall an improved offensive effort for the Tigers following last week’s opening scrimmage, when the defense absolutely dominated — limiting first downs, allowing just one touchdown against the first-teamers and picking off three passes. Malzahn wanted to see the offense respond on Wednesday, and it did, even if the receivers didn’t put forth their best performance collectively.

It was the second straight scrimmage with some notable struggles from the receiving corps. In last week’s scrimmage, one receiver had a pass deflect off his hands before cornerback Javaris Davis corralled it and returned it for a pick-six.

Malzahn on QB battle: "I really can't tell you any more than I did last time"

The season starts in 17 days, and Auburn is still looking to name its starting QB.

While Malzahn didn’t mention if there were any of those this time around, the drops are still a concern for the group with a little more than two weeks remaining before the season opener against Oregon — even if the Tigers were largely without their top-four receivers on Wednesday.

Sophomore Seth Williams was limited to just the 2-minute drill period of the practice, though Malzahn said he would have been available if it was an actual game. Sophomore Anthony Schwartz is still recovering from surgery on a broken left hand, while the coaching staff is still being cautious with Eli Stove and Will Hastings following their ACL surgeries last year. Auburn was also without sophomore Shedrick Jackson, who has not practiced this week with an undisclosed injury.

"Yeah, you know, there's a couple guys we're just trying to be smart with,” Malzahn said. “It'll be fine. You know, for the first game, we're trying to develop some depth…. Because we're going to need everybody. The way we've been looking at it is a great opportunity to develop depth…. We've got to continue to improve, get consistent and catching the basic balls at this point.”

Sal Cannella said Monday that there has been an added emphasis on the rest of the receiving corps to step up with those key players out or limited, and while there have been inconsistencies, running back Boobee Whitlow said “a lot of them” have taken strides with their increased opportunities in fall camp. Malzahn said the team is specifically looking to the likes of Cannella and redshirt junior Marquis McClain to take on bigger roles this preseason.

“I know they have a few drops — but just coming out there and working and grinding every day, a lot of them have that ‘it’ factor,” Whitlow said of the receivers. “Everybody is on their grind. Everybody on the team is on their grind. Everybody’s hungry. Everybody wants it. Everybody just wants more than just for themselves.”

Even if it means staying long after practice and running sprints in the sweltering August heat after an up-and-down scrimmage performance.

“We’re starting to look like an Auburn offense,” Malzahn said. “If we get out the inconsistencies with a few drops, I think we would have felt a little bit better about that, but overall, it was a really good day.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

While definitely vocal, I'm not sure it's leadership yet.

Yeah that’s what I’ve been hearing lately. Hoping he can keep the work effort as high as he is vocal! 

3 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Hoping he can keep the work effort as high as he is vocal! 

Yup!

Offense shows 'flashes' of improvement in scrimmage

by Brandon Marcello

88 minutes ago

AUBURN, Alabama – Auburn’s offense didn’t explode out of the gate in the second scrimmage of preseason camp, but the Tigers did find more success Wednesday than the first scrimmage dominated by the defense.

One problem, however, continued: backup receivers continued to drop passes. The Tigers held out their top four receivers — Anthony Schwartz(hand surgery), Eli Stove (knee), Will Hastings (knee) and Seth Williams(back) — as temperatures surpassed the 90-degree mark on the field at Jordan-Hare Stadium.

Still, there were moments of celebration for the offense.

“We had a couple of big drops that really would have kept drives alive and probably would have put points on the board as far as that goes,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. “The offense overall really rebounded. We’re starting to look like an Auburn offense. If we get out the inconsistencies with a few drops, I think we would have felt a little bit better about that, but overall, it was a really good day.”

Malzahn wasn’t ready to provide any hint as to which way he’s leaning with the quarterbacks, but true freshman Bo Nix was once again the first quarterback on the field in the scrimmage. Joey Gatewood played with the first-team offense, too, but also saw time with the backups.

The biggest plays for the offense: a long pass play to running back JaTarvious Whitlow and a 60-yard touchdown run by Malik Miller with Gatewood at quarterback. Running back DJ Williams also scored on a 5-yard run, according to sources.

The scrimmage Wednesday was closed to the media and public.

“Yeah, I feel like we’re just getting closer and closer every day, you know?” Whitlow said. “It takes time, you feel me? We still got a couple weeks left before we go see Oregon, so we got enough time to focus on ourselves right now.”

*** Get 30% off an annual subscription  to receive the latest Auburn recruiting and team scoops ***

*** Get FREE Auburn breaking news in your inbox ***

Auburn is 17 days away from its season opener against Oregon in Arlington, Texas. The Tigers have yet to name a starting quarterback, and injuries continue to be an issue at key spots.

Overall, it appeared Auburn’s defense once again won the scrimmage that included 2-minute drills.

“We gave up a play early, but rallied after that,” linebacker Chandler Wootensaid. “We just finished strong.”

Malzahn even threw in a new wrinkle on offense to test the defense. The Tigers had an explosive play, Malzahn said. They ran it again later in the scrimmage, but attempted to disguise the play to confuse the defense.

“They sniffed it out,” Malzahn said. “The veteran group can make adjustments, which is so important, you know, over the course of games."

Confidence is not in short supply for Auburn’s running backs, despite the struggles with the backup receivers. One running back fumbled, but managed to recover it during the scrimmage. Still, expectations are high for the offense, especially when the Tigers regain their top four receivers on the field.

“Oh yeah, we made a lot of progress today,” senior running back Kam Martinsaid. “We just came out fighting. That's the game, you know, we come out fighting, I feel like we can be unstoppable.”

23 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Funny, I heard the same interview and didn’t take it negatively, just realistically. The question asked Brandon was did he feel like Auburn had a better chance at appearing in the Texas bowl like a website predicted, or a New Year’s Day bowl. He replied Texas bowl because of our difficult schedule. He said it would take an elite offense to get through that schedule. I hope  we can develop a 2013 or 2010 offense, but we will have to get great quarterback play.

40 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

It sounds like the o-line improved and that’s the biggest takeaway from today imo. 

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Sounds about right with the struggles on the OL ...

Okay....

Which is it?!

Archived