Practice News & Notes: 8/14 (Scrimmage #2)

ellitor

19 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Wrong. Like I said, a trying concept. Until they play this year and until they finish as one of the best DL in the country, then it's all potential. 

2018: Auburn has one of the best DL in the country. Unrealized potential

2018: Pre-season rank #3

2019: Auburn has one of the best DL in the country. Potential

2019: Pre-season #8

I don't consider a defensive line the best until they are disrupters in the backfield a majority of the time, especially on passing plays.  Until we get a consistent pass rusher, I will be un satisfied. 

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Auburn’s returning starters are actual evidence that the DL will be a strength.

Wrong.

It's evidence that they have potential to be a strength.

A compressed spring has a lot of potential energy. Until it is released that energy won't be actual or realized. Right now, out DL is the compressed spring.

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Moultry wasn’t very far off last year he just needed a year to acclimate. 

So his potential wasn't actualized

11 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Preseason rankings are pointless anyway. 

Because they are all based on potential, not the actual performances.

6 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I don't consider a defensive line the best until they are disrupters in the backfield a majority of the time, especially on passing plays.  Until we get a consistent pass rusher, I will be un satisfied. 

The DL disrupted enough into forcing offenses into mass protect. Just like against LSU. The defense as a whole didn’t take advantage. 

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Mmk pumpkin

:waveoff: :waveoff:

Great retort. I especially like the part where you ignored the facts because you couldn't argue against them.

Like I said, a trying concept. Apparently more trying for some.  It's okay to admit you don't know or are extremely confused by the difference between potential and actual. Your attempt to argue against it is comical. 

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Great retort. I especially like the part where you ignored the facts because you couldn't argue against them.

Like I said, a trying concept. Apparently more trying for some.  It's okay to admit you don't know or are extremely confused by the difference between potential and actual. Your attempt to argue against it is comical. 

Please, please, PLEASE stop using logic and common sense! It has no place in an Auburn football discussion...😝

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

:waveoff: :waveoff:

5 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Please, please, PLEASE stop using logic and common sense! It has no place in an Auburn football discussion...😝

Auburn was second in the SEC in sacks last year without a true pass rusher. Auburn’s DL mostly owned the line of scrimmage. Holding teams like LSU to 2.8 yards per carry. 

We also have an All American in Derrick Brown who is the highest graded interior DL by PFF in the last two years. 

We can stop pretending that last year’s DL wasn’t a strength and won’t be one this year. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

All I’ve heard is Bo Nic this, Bo Nix that. I hope he is right, but I’m skeptical. 

Bo Nix was apparently considered a DT QB by just one recruiting service and that apparently makes him a DT guy. lol 

So was Stidham. In fact he was the #2 DTQB out of high school and the #1 DTQB out of JUCO. But that's conveniently ignored... 

Screenshot_2019-08-15-06-59-32.png

Screenshot_2019-08-15-06-59-58.png

9 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

So was Stidham. In fact he was the #2 DTQB out of high school and the #1 DTQB out of JUCO. But that's conveniently ignored... 

That wasn’t  ignored lmao. In fact @AU64 in his wisdom told us to be weary of this and many including myself told him how wrong he was. Boy was he right lol. With that being said, Bo Nix seems to move better then Nix ever did in the pocket. I don’t necessarily care if the QB has Nick Marshall athleticism. To me a guy like Baker Mayfield, who can make all the throws and navigate the pocket well enough to escape pressure is good enough dual for me. Also Baker Mayfield was recruited as a pocket passer , same as Aaron Rodgers, so the recruiting sites shouldn’t be seen as gospel.

4 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Stidham must’ve got fat. lol

He ran a laser timed 4.66 in high school.

4.81 at the combine. 

If we can’t call actual QB runs, then the  QBs shouldn’t be considered DT.

Had this same conversation with Sean White. 

There is dual threat, and then there is escapeability. I’d say Nix is the latter which is not a knock as Rodgers is the same way, but I wouldn’t want to call designed runs.

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

4.81 at the combine. 

If we can’t call actual QB runs, then so called QBs shouldn’t be considered DT.

Who said SW was a dual threat QB? 

Just now, DAG said:

Who said SW was a dual threat QB? 

little Bigbird compared him to Baker Mayfield 🤣

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

What?! Lol. I mean I can’t see that, it definitely could be true but I need to see some proof for that one. Like I said we all have been wrong before. 

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

4.81 at the combine. 

If we can’t call actual QB runs, then so called QBs shouldn’t be considered DT.

White was considered a pro style by all the major services (247, Rivals, and ESPN.) 

But I do remember people saying he could run like he was a DTQB though.

Edit*

I keep telling people Nix will slow down a bit when he has multiple years of FBS S&C under his belt. 

Just now, DAG said:

What?! Lol. I mean I can’t see that, it definitely could be true but I need to see some proof for that one. Like I said we all have been wrong before. 

There was a yuuuuuge argument on why SW can’t run a 4.5 if he applies himself in the offseason and that gem was deposited there 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

There was a yuuuuuge argument on why SW can’t run a 4.5 if he applies himself in the offseason and that gem was deposited there 

Hmm well like I said I definitely don't agree with that assessment. However, hindsight is 20/20.

Just now, tigeraddikt said:

If I recall correctly, Sean White wasn't afraid to run. And he got prison smashed accordingly.

True. He was not afraid to get hit, which was not smart of him. Probably was not smart of our coaches to put him in that position, either but that is in the past. Go Gus Go.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

1 minute ago, DAG said:

Hmm well like I said I definitely don't agree with that assessment. However, hindsight is 20/20.

I said SW was more Baker than Cam. I also said SW was similar in his ability to move in the pocket and keep his eyes down field. Jeffy just latched on to me using Baker as a comparison. 

Just now, bigbird said:

I said SW was more Baker than Cam. I also said SW was similar in his ability to move in the pocket and keep his eyes down field. Jeffy just latched on to me using Baker as a comparison. 

Ahh context is everything. 

17 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Auburn was second in the SEC in sacks last year without a true pass rusher. Auburn’s DL mostly owned the line of scrimmage. Holding teams like LSU to 2.8 yards per carry. 

We also have an All American in Derrick Brown who is the highest graded interior DL by PFF in the last two years. 

We can stop pretending that last year’s DL wasn’t a strength and won’t be one this year. 

The DL definitely had some bad games last year (Moo St.), but at times is absolutely dominate.  Washington had a really good and experienced O-Line last year, watch this video and you can see how dominate the line can be.

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

Auburn’s DL stats last year wasn’t all on them. 

Auburn’s returning starters are actual evidence that the DL will be a strength.

Moultry wasn’t very far off last year he just needed a year to acclimate. 

Truesdell will potentially be a low 3* hero. 

Preseason Top 8? Can go up or down. Preseason rankings are pointless anyway. 

"Moultry wasn’t very far off last year he just needed a year to acclimate. "

Explain this for me. TIA.

Archived