What’s next for Joey?

aubiefifty

5 hours ago, WarTim said:

What will Joey do? Hmmmm. My guess is he will continue to work towards a degree at Auburn University and also play some football. He seems to be a great young man. Don’t sell him short. 

This. IMO, perhaps a naive opinion, is anyone supposing Gatewood will cut and run is doing him a disfavor. He did not transfer to a different high school to play quarterback only. Seems he committed to Auburn fairly early and stayed committed. And last year, when the staff was on his a$$ to the point of taking his number away, he did not quit. So why presume the young man will bail now.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does an OC call a different game when he has a capable backup at qb vs when he doesn't have one? To lessen the chance of injury to the only qb option he has.

My understanding is that Joey is on track to graduate in May.  Assuming things go as planned and Bo retains the starting QB job all this season, it would make sense for Joey to stay at Auburn and get his degree in May.  This would allow him to be a graduate transfer with 2 years of eligibility remaining, thereby avoiding having to sit out a season.  I’m sure there are a ton of teams that would be clamoring for him to sign with them under those circumstances.

Of course, selfishly, I would like him to stay at Auburn for his full eligibility, but he needs to do what’s in his own best-interest.

9 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

Does an OC call a different game when he has a capable backup at qb vs when he doesn't have one? To lessen the chance of injury to the only qb option he has.

It occurs to me that letting Bo get out of the pocket and force defenses to play us a little more honest might actually take a lot of pressure off of him while he's in the pocket. Which would have the same result?

Sorry. Not really an answer to your question. 

52 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

My understanding is that Joey is on track to graduate in May.  Assuming things go as planned and Bo retains the starting QB job all this season, it would make sense for Joey to stay at Auburn and get his degree in May.  This would allow him to be a graduate transfer with 2 years of eligibility remaining, thereby avoiding having to sit out a season.  I’m sure there are a ton of teams that would be clamoring for him to sign with them under those circumstances.

Of course, selfishly, I would like him to stay at Auburn for his full eligibility, but he needs to do what’s in his own best-interest.

Not sure about this . At this point Joey has only been at AU a year and a half. And by the way this is his redshirt freshman year if he did graduate and move on he would have 3 years of eligibility left. 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

#81, I'm just saying...

I'm always yammering on about Trey Burton, but I forgot about Jordan Reed starting out as a QB on that team. I wonder what he's up to now...

...oh, I see here that he's up to almost $10 million a year. 

22 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I don't care how we use him. I just care that we use him. 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Leave it to this guy to say more with less.

giphy.gif

This is the first year Gus has had two capable QBs (one is not head and shoulders above the other) in his Auburn career.  I don’t think anything is really settled at the position until the T A&M game. I think both will play a great deal until the 4th game.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:
19 minutes ago, ellitor said:

giphy.gif

16 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

giphy.gif

One of the more compelling bromances on the board TBQH

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, AUsince72 said:

giphy.gif

All my coworkers who were already pretty sure I'm over here goofing off on the internet are now 100% sure that I'm over here goofing off on the internet.  I just laughed a little too hard at my screen. 

I like Joey and think he has such a wide skill set that he could help the team in many ways. So much so that he deserves to be utilized in a much bigger role than back up QB. We should put him on the field in many capacities. Doing so does not limit him from being backup QB or implementing his QB packages. 

By the time Joey is a RS-JR or so he's going to be scary good. He's very inexperienced due to his HS QB rep count. He has a lot of room to grow and develop.

13 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I like Joey and think he has such a wide skill set that he could help the team in many ways. So much so that he deserves to be utilized in a much bigger role than back up QB. We should put him on the field in many capacities. Doing so does not limit him from being backup QB or implementing his QB packages. 

I’m all in on this scenario and I have a hunch that CGM is thinking the same way! You could line this kid up at qb, TE, out wide, even in the backfield and wildcat, and then let him go. War Eagle 🦅 to the @bigbird baby!!!

12 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Okay, so that's something that I and maybe some others haven't been sure about. And that's exciting to hear. 

We've had a few guys who could handle a lot of responsibilities. Hopefully he's another one. 

41 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Can you imagine a defense always having to defend against the threat of a halfback pass (but being performed by a QB) on every play? It's basically like having a skilled ball handling SG. 

If Gus really is a mad scientist and runs with it to save his job, I can see having two QBs with those different skill sets on the field at one time being the biggest innovation in FB since the forward pass.

Hey, a guy can dream, right?

Edit: sorry, forgot to include a gif.

200w.gif

50 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

Can you imagine a defense always having to defend against the threat of a halfback pass (but being performed by a QB) on every play? It's basically like having a skilled ball handling SG. 

If Gus really is a mad scientist and runs with it to save his job, I can see having two QBs with those different skill sets on the field at one time being the biggest innovation in FB since the forward pass.

200w.gif

I would definitely draw up some 2 RB packages with Joey as 1 RB and give him a run/pass option if I was in charge.

11 minutes ago, SphyNxXx said:
1 hour ago, Auctoritas said:

200w.gif

I would definitely draw up some 2 RB packages with Joey as 1 RB and give him a run/pass option if I was in charge.

Keep in mind, one of the things Gus gets accused of (even by the Sunshine Crew) is overthinking things & getting too cute, thinking he's outsmarting everybody.

Please don't overthink for him, lest we end up with another Whirlybird disaster.

tumblr_ojs25lFsKv1qmob6ro1_500.gif

Archived