Linebacker Play

AUght2win

3 hours ago, bigbird said:

There is a good reason DL run screenand retreat drills. 

Here is a good example of a DL playing under control and defending the screen.

CoordinatedNarrowBlesbok.gif

The DL is taught to fight to pressure but when they feel the release of the OL to retreat and get their eyes on the back and pursue.

It all means nothing if the LBs aren't in a position to make the tackle. Which was my original, original point. The most you can ask from a DL on a screen is to restrict space for the back. That's what the End is doing in the OSU clip (which, not a bright offensive call to run a swing screen to the short side of the field). But if no LBs or DBs are home to actually make the tackle, it doesn't matter.

In this Dolphins-Pats clip, the defensive line does all you ask. They recognize quickly and pursue, but it's the backer who scrapes, gets through blockers, and makes the tackle. All goes back to my original point that KJ and the gang were not in position Saturday to actually make the tackle.

Screen6.gif

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I don’t recall having said I was talking about you but if you’re that insecure maybe you should think about it...

Good grief, buddy. At least stand by what you posted.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It is when other things happen on the field that are dead giveaways that they're running a screen.

Respectfully, are you familiar with the credentials of the person with whom you're arguing? 

Another wrinkle to consider is that double screens are really common now. Here's one from our own playbook. The D linemen even recognize screen early here. But do you think they can process screen, stop, figure out where the ball's going, and then catch up to a back running in stride? In this clip, even a guy as athletic as Nkemdiche can't run down the back. The LBs are ultimately the guys who are supposed to make the stop on screens. 

DoubleScreenVsMiss.gif

36 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Good grief, buddy. At least stand by what you posted.

Look man, I made a pledge to be more positive this week. So Im gonna start with this post...I’m POSITIVE I don’t wanna talk to you anymore. I’m POSITIVE you think you know it all and no one can tell you anything. Im POSITIVE this will be my last response to your nonsense.

7 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

Look man, I made a pledge to be more positive this week. So Im gonna start with this post...I’m POSITIVE I don’t wanna talk to you anymore. I’m POSITIVE you think you know it all and no one can tell you anything. Im POSITIVE this will be my last response to your nonsense.

"Ain’t but one poster I’ve seen so far who is consistently wrong...and it ain’t Cole..."

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I have played D-line (not that that means anything other than I at least know the frame of mind). It's the simplest position in football.

Just curious, but what was your base defense and what technique were you playing in it?

It all means nothing if the LBs aren't in a position to make the tackle. Which was my original, original point. 

Watch it again. The LBs get washed by the OL. It was the DE and safety that made the play. Even if the safety hadn't come up, the DE had him.

No I'm not, nor does it particularly matter. I have played D-line (not that that means anything other than I at least know the frame of mind). It's the simplest position in football. Not the easiest, but the simplest. Gap responsibility and penetration. Your eyes aren't anywhere but the backfield. On passing downs you fight desperately to cause pressure because you know the entire defense is predicated on it. There is no such thing as an "over aggressive defensive lineman", unless you're talking about guys who leave their feet, jump offsides, or fly upfield passed the QB. 

Screens are to take advantage of undisciplined linebackers or blitz heavy teams who leave nobody home to stop the play. Not "over aggressive defensive linemen" (an oxymoron). 

There's no reason to further our conversation. Wow...

tenor.gif?itemid=10448176

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Watch it again. The LBs get washed by the OL. It was the DE and safety that made the play. Even if the safety hadn't come up, the DE had him.

The RB stutter stepped when he saw the safety. Idk that the end catches him otherwise. Either way, like I said, I don't get why offenses call screens to the short side. Just going to run out of space like this example. 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There's no reason to further our conversation. Wow...

tenor.gif?itemid=10448176

Hey man, I'm just lucky to get to talk to an expert. That going for the PAT up 5 in the 4th strategy is something only the truly innovative coaches are onto. Learn something new every day.

3 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Hey man, I'm just lucky to get to talk to an expert.

I only look like an expert compared to some. Thanks for making that possible.

25 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Just curious, but what was your base defense and what technique were you playing in it?

Honestly our DC was new and notttt very good. We changed schemes dramatically every week. But it was always a 4 front. I was a 5 technique lined up on tackle's outside shoulder.

On 9/15/2019 at 7:46 AM, bigbird said:

Screens were on the DL, IMO

Yep when nobody blocks you a D-lineman has to sort of feel it and peel back. Brown is only one I saw do that before he left for the day. I think so many people had gotten on them for not getting sacks that they  laid back their ears and just charged regardless of what the O-line did. 

13 hours ago, AUght2win said:

Honestly our DC was new and notttt very good. We changed schemes dramatically every week. But it was always a 4 front. I was a 5 technique lined up on tackle's outside shoulder.

Evidently he taught you a LOT about D line play, though. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Evidently he taught you a LOT about D line play, though. 

It's amazing how above-it you and Bird are. You guys prefer to scoff without actually talking X's and O's. Wonder why that is. 

It's amazing how above-it you and Bird are. You guys prefer to scoff without actually talking X's and O's. Wonder why that is. 

I love talking Xs and Os. I tend to learn from those conversations. It's pretty amazing. All you have to do is listen.

Just now, McLoofus said:

I love talking Xs and Os. I tend to learn from those conversations. It's pretty amazing. All you have to do is listen.

Then, schematically, tell me how the D Line is on the hook for this play. Pics encapsulate just over 1 second of real-time. 

20190917_120126.jpg

20190917_120041.jpg

20190917_120055.jpg

20190917_120107.jpg

1 minute ago, AUght2win said:

Then, schematically, tell me how the D Line is on the hook for this play. Pics encapsulate just over 1 second of real-time. 

Did somebody say that it's always the DL's fault or that one play in particular was on the DL? I didn't. 

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Did somebody say that it's always the DL's fault or that one play in particular was on the DL? I didn't. 

Me and Bird have been discussing the concepts of screen responsibility this entire thread. He believes DL. I believe LB. His opinion was Saturday's screens were on the DL.

4 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I just can’t believe this discussion is till going on...wow. 

"Look man, I made a pledge to be more positive this week. So Im gonna start with this post...I’m POSITIVE I don’t wanna talk to you anymore. I’m POSITIVE you think you know it all and no one can tell you anything. Im POSITIVE this will be my last response to your nonsense."

21 hours ago, bigbird said:

I only look like an expert compared to some. Thanks for making that possible.

Did someone call for an expert? I'm here. My expertise is in eating deep dish pizza. I'm also considered an expert at eating hot wings but I like to think I have something to offer in anything fat

3 minutes ago, nixtosanders94 said:

I like how he thinks I’m responding directly to him. I think he’s a narcissist.  Everything’s about him. Oh well. C’est la vie. 

You are genuinely a very strange person. 

Archived