Things I Think I Saw: AU vs Florida

JMR

It sounds like a setup.  For them to cross the 50 and approach him talking sh-- and for somebody to have a camera ready to go the second Worm retaliated to them and the clip doesn't show the instigation by the UF players.  I think the SEC should investigate this incident. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Momma Worm said:

This was in response to the person stating that someone tried to tell him something.... when I quoted it, it took your part instead of what he said.... so the comment was for him. 

There is no guilt by association on my part.... unless you were directing this to someone else. 

Again, it wasnt directed towards you, it was for the person you responded too....but when I quoted the statement your  name came up. I dont know you all personally to know who’s name is who. My apologies 

I am so tired of having to say that I mean no harm in what I say.... when nobody gives me the same courtesy when these issues come up. Once I respond then Im the bad guy, pretty much what Worm is going through now. Whats funny is that the person that sought out to destroy Worms character Saturday, is by someone we know personally.... so that support thing isnt in my favor at this time. What I know about life is that every one isnt gonna like you, whether your the good guy or the bad guy. Many pretend! But at the end of the day it is what it is. 

No need to apologize........I have quoted someone and had different name show up........I admire your son for standing his ground.........I teach my boys they will never be punished for standing their ground or standing up for one another.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, atl-tiger said:

If it was any other player there would be multiple people posting "oh thats not the Auburn way, blah blah", but because his mom said they called him short its now OK for Auburn players to punch other teams?  Personally, I don't mind it, I like the showing a little fire, but the double standards on this forum are funny. 

Right or wrong it endeared him more to me.

• Like 2

This is a mans game.  Sec football is gladiator sport.  There is right/wrong in sports.  There are written/unwritten rules.  And in all sports, particularly contact sports, there is the gray area that tough men play by.

worm stood up for himself and by extension, his team.  If he’s my teammate, I’m going to run through hell for a guy like that.

(fwiw, any ref worth his salt either let’s it go (like they did) or at worst throws offsetting unsportsmanlikes - and everyone goes on their way.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Momma Worm said:

This was in response to the person stating that someone tried to tell him something.... when I quoted it, it took your part instead of what he said.... so the comment was for him. 

There is no guilt by association on my part.... unless you were directing this to someone else. 

Again, it wasnt directed towards you, it was for the person you responded too....but when I quoted the statement your  name came up. I dont know you all personally to know who’s name is who. My apologies 

I hope you didn’t mean me, and if so I apologize if I came across wrong.  I was only trying to tell everyone what you told me in the other thread so you didn’t have to intervene and post.

It's ALMOST too bad that Bo was as accurate as he was against Mrs. State because as accurate as he was that game is how inaccurate he was against Florida. I guess it only adds fuel to how disappointed I was and how high my expectations were. I know mine were that we would eat their defense up with slants and deep throws. No way they were going to be able to defend the dropped dime long balls and the slant missiles the way he was putting it out there vs moo state. Unfortunately, reality was a bitch. Most of his passes were off. I guess he was due for a bad (true freshman) game. I just wish it wasn't this one. Even the completions were just a shade off. 6 inches less on the throw to Seth Williams and he scores. Hit him with the wide open slant and again, he scores. Hit Sal on the crossing (instead of a foot behind) and the drive stays alive. Hit Hastings on any of the passes where he was open (overthrows) and we are in business as well. It was just that kind of night. Not just for him either. Derrick doesn't trip over his own feet and we probably get a scoop-n-score TD with all those blockers around him. Tutt trying to make sure no one gets in front of the ball had a bounce that launched it straight at him. KJ Britt with a missed tackle that goes house. That guy doesn't miss tackles he missile tackles. I'm sure there were a few more that I forgot because I remember thinking all through the game how much it was not going right for us.

Gus is not without blame either for reasons other than the play calling too. How do you not remind your TF QB not to take a loss and dump the ball when we are in field goal range? I can't think that he did remind him and Bo went ahead and ran backwards anyways so that has to be on Gus. Also, how do you not play DJ Williams as good as he showed in the limited time he played last game? How do you not put Gatewood in on any of the 3rd and 1's or 2's? Or put him in at some point just to settle Bo down a little and/or see what he could do? Did Steele ever recognize how they were forcing our LBs to cover wideouts, because I didn't notice if he ever made a change for it?

As bad as all that was I'm still amazed we were in that game (down only 4 points) all the way until the 88 yarder that went house. And even then it was not an impossible task (see Oregon game) with 9 minutes left if we could've just stopped shooting ourselves in the foot. Alas, it was not to be and the pedo-targeting continued until the end. I just hope the team can use this as a learning experience, especially Bo but not just him. Everyone, including the coaches, has a lot they can learn from this and they have an extra week to get to it. Lets get the bad Mo out of the way. I know we can and I think we will. It's all still out there but the margin of error just got a lot thinner.

Edited by AuJoe
add

13 hours ago, bigbird said:

For me, after seeing that fire, there is no way he's not the 1st back out there. He was on a mission and ready for battle.

Exactly. It blows me away that we have fans who have a problem with this. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, kevon67 said:

No need to apologize........I have quoted someone and had different name show up........I admire your son for standing his ground.........I teach my boys they will never be punished for standing their ground or standing up for one another.

Good work, Dad. :thumbsup:

• Love 1

13 hours ago, Momma Worm said:

I am so tired of having to say that I mean no harm in what I say.... when nobody gives me the same courtesy when these issues come up. Once I respond then Im the bad guy, pretty much what Worm is going through now. Whats funny is that the person that sought out to destroy Worms character Saturday, is by someone we know personally.... so that support thing isnt in my favor at this time. What I know about life is that every one isnt gonna like you, whether your the good guy or the bad guy. Many pretend! But at the end of the day it is what it is. 

Feel you, Momma. Sorry that Worm Fam is having to deal with this crap now in addition to everything else. Your son exemplifies what we should all want in an Auburn football player and he's just not being rewarded for it. I really hope that changes. He's already earned a lot of lifelong fans here. 

• Love 2

On 10/6/2019 at 6:49 PM, augolf1716 said:

Here you go

Good catch Golf!! I am looking forward to seeing  how FL makes out in Baton Rouge. I think they will get a big dose of their own medicine or at least I hope they do. The incident with Worm just shows what kind of coach mullen is to allow that to happen. He is a total dirt bag and I hope LSU beats the crap out of them.

WDE!!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Slammer1 said:

Good catch Golf!! I am looking forward to seeing  how FL makes out in Baton Rouge. I think they will get a big dose of their own medicine or at least I hope they do. The incident with Worm just shows what kind of coach mullen is to allow that to happen. He is a total dirt bag and I hope LSU beats the crap out of them.

WDE!!

Yep he is a total D-bag always will be

• Like 5

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Feel you, Momma. Sorry that Worm Fam is having to deal with this crap now in addition to everything else. Your son exemplifies what we should all want in an Auburn football player and he's just not being rewarded for it. I really hope that changes. He's already earned a lot of lifelong fans here. 

Well put Loof, I watched 1 interview with him and knew he was a class act.......cant imagine having a son playing football on a large stage in this day and age where people say stupid s*** just to harass and antogonize  proud parents and family. 

• Like 1

On 10/6/2019 at 3:19 PM, abw0004 said:

I wonder if Shivers was held out due to his incident in warm-ups with the Florida players?  I have no idea, I’m just wondering. 

I hope so! Just a silly mistake and he should have been held out.

• Dislike 2

On 10/6/2019 at 2:42 PM, JMR said:
These things are fun to write when AU plays well, not so much when they don't.  Like most fans, I've been pleasantly surprised with the progress made by Bo Nix from game to game.  But in the dark corners of my old football mind, I've been wondering whether it would last.  It did not.  Bo was hardly the only AU player who didn't have a great day yesterday, but because of the position he plays, his bad days are more impactful than most.  This game was a bad one for our rookie QB, and the impact was huge.

I was not impressed with the offensive game plan (if there was one). But to be fair, I have thought our plans going into the other five games this season have been pretty darn good.  Sometimes as a coach you guess wrong; some coaches can quickly adjust to the circumstances, and some can't.  It's never easy, as you've spent all your preparation time working on what you went into the game believing would work.  Enough of my rambling.  Here are some of the Things I Think I Saw.....

• The first offensive play was a real head-scratcher.  Pretty much identical to the play we opened the Texas A&M game with a few years ago, which resulted in a huge sack by Myles Garrett.  We faked to the tailback, then to a WR going behind the QB (requiring the QB to turn his back to the defense), and pulled the backside guard to block the DE.  Same result as the one we all remember.  Rough start, and equivalent to pouring gasoline on the raging fire that was the Florida home crowd.

• The second offensive play was a bad shotgun snap that inadvertently went to Boobee Whitlow instead of Bo Nix.  We were fortunate that Whitlow was watching the ball.

• On Florida's second offensive play, Dan Mullen managed to get his fastest wide receiver covered by one of our linebackers. K.J. Britt (not unexpectedly) was beaten badly in coverage, Auburn safety Daniel Thomas overran the play, and the result was an instant score for Florida.  More gasoline on the Florida Field fire.

• Auburn fans love Defensive Coordinator Kevin Steele.  He is no doubt one of the better ones in the SEC.  But more than once yesterday, the AU defensive front was on their knees, looking to the sideline for a signal, when Florida snapped the ball.  The secondary was playing man coverage, expecting a strong pass rush, and because the front was not ready, there was none. I like Steele as much as anyone, but that was not good coaching.  No matter how good you are, there are always things that need work.

• Christian Tutt has been terrific on punt returns, but he has taken some risks, fielding punts on the bounce, etc. That finally caught up with him yesterday.  A punt returner is coached to *field the ball in the air* if he can do so without leaving his feet. Tutt lets too many punts hit the ground. Usually that results in a favorable roll for the punting team but yesterday it resulted in even worse, with Tutt touching, then losing a key punt, setting Florida up deep in AU territory.

• Tutt did make a great play on a safety blitz, executing a perfect tackle that resulted in a fumble by the UF quarterback.

• Huge hit by K.J. Britt on Florida running back Dameon Pearce.  Britt unfortunately offset that great play with a missed tackle on Lamical Perine that resulted in an 88-yard, "nail-in-the-coffin" Florida TD.

• Dan Mullen's comment to the CBS reporter at halftime about "dirty play" on the part of Marlon Davidson was typical Dan Mullen.  Had Florida offensive tackle Stone Forsythe not pulled Davidson down by the shoulder pads on the play, Trask would have been untouched.  In point of fact, by my unofficial tally, Forsythe was Florida's leading tackler in the game. Amazing that he was only called for it twice.

• Auburn struggled mightily to convert third downs in the game.  That's even more disappointing when considering that Towson was 8-of-15 on third down conversions against Florida last week.

• Derrick Brown was, as always, held over and over in the game.  A few were actually called.  Brown is an incredible player, and will be a millionaire very soon.

• Marlon Davidson was also held multiple times but played with great effort as he has all season.

• Though I dislike the man, Dan Mullen is an outstanding game planner.  His use of 6-4 tight end Kyle Pitts as a wide receiver was a brilliant move.  Auburn was forced to cover Pitts with a defensive back, meaning another Florida wide receiver had to be covered by a safety or a linebacker.  Those matchups proved disastrous for Auburn.

• The Florida wide receivers got the better of the Auburn secondary yesterday.  Auburn played lots of man coverage and the receivers were too good, and too well-coached on route-running for Auburn's DBs to handle without interference.  Ugly day for that group.

• Was glad to see T.D. Moultry step up his effort on the pass rush yesterday.  That effort did garner him a key sack.

• I can't emphasize enough how poorly Bo Nix played in this game.  Missed throws, overthrows, terrible interceptions.  Just one or two less of any of those, and the game likely would have had a different outcome.  I think Bo is going to be great and unfortunately, part of getting to that point is enduring painful lessons and not repeating them.

• Disappointed that the staff didn't give more of our Florida players opportunities to be a part of the game yesterday.  Joey Gatewood, D.J. Williams, Shaun Shivers. W ould have been nice for them to get some action against the flagship team in their home state.  If you don't think that means anything to those kids, you need to tweak your thinking.

• On the bright side, Anders Carlson looked great on his two field goal attempts. Hopefully, he is on track for a great season.

• The Auburn OL got whipped most of the time by the Florida DL.  I'm still not sure how good Florida's defensive front is but they definitely looked the part yesterday.

• The crowd was indeed a factor, resulting in some key false start penalties on Auburn. Gus said he was surprised by that. What???

This was a bitter loss, and I'm not gonna try to pump any sunshine.  But the world has not ended, the season is not in ruins. There are dang sure some stiff challenges down the road, but unlike most fans, players are exceptionally resilient. They have an open date to heal bumps and bruises and make needed corrections before taking on a desperate Arkansas. Got to use this one as a learning tool, and get back to work.

WAR EAGLE!!

Gee, thanks.  You could have just said "I'm no analyst (which you're clearly not), but we just got beat badly and Bo Nix sucked", and saved yourself all that typing.

• Facepalm 5
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 15

On 10/6/2019 at 3:42 PM, JMR said:

I can't emphasize enough how poorly Bo Nix played in this game.  Missed throws, overthrows, terrible interceptions.  Just one or two less of any of those, and the game likely would have had a different outcome.  I think Bo is going to be great and unfortunately, part of getting to that point is enduring painful lessons and not repeating them.

I have observed his footwork getting worse over the last couple of games, even on some throws he completed. Very surprising considering how much training he has had to this point in his career. Not sure what to think about it except maybe it is a by product of the defense not respecting our running game. CGM's passing offense has historically only worked when he had a very effective running game forcing the defense to think "stop the run" first. The best example of this I can remember was late in the 2013 Alabama game with us trailing 28-21. We got the ball back and CGM called three straight running plays barely getting a first down. The clock was running down and I was furious with CGM. What was he thinking? Then Nick Marshall pulled the ball on the hand-off fake and ran to his left showing the Alabama corner back exactly what he was looking for, Nick Marshall to keep the ball and run down field. The cornerback released his coverage and came up to get Marshall except it wasn't a QB run, it was a pass to Sammy Coates that went for a touchdown and tied the game. Most people remember the Kick-6 play but to me this was the play of the game.

I am old enough to remember some bad games or portions of games that Pat Sullivan had but I honestly don't remember him getting worse as the game progressed. The thing I find most disturbing about the Florida loss was our young QB playing worse late in the game.

Thanks for writing these articles. They help guys like me understand more about the game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, JMR said:

Thank you. It’s people like you who make me feel like spending time on something like this is worthwhile. If there is a next one, please feel free to not read it. 

JMR I am a fan of your analysis. I look forward to each and every one. Please consider continuing them despite the occasional grump.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

JMR I am a fan of your analysis. I look forward to each and every one. Please consider continuing them despite the occasional grump.

Ditto! 

@JMRYou have the podcast too, right? If so, I’ve been listening each week this season. It calms me and stresses me out all at once. 😂

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JMR said:

Thank you. It’s people like you who make me feel like spending time on something like this is worthwhile. If there is a next one, please feel free to not read it. 

I look forward to your posts every week JMR.  Appreciate you posting these. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JMR said:

Hey man, I can walk you through the ignore feature.  It's awesome and I highly recommend it for a lot of the $$$clowns on this site.;)

• Love 4

32 minutes ago, JMR said:

Thanks for the time and effort you spend on this post.  I look forward to the information and expertise you bring each week.  

• Love 1

On 10/7/2019 at 3:16 PM, Momma Worm said:

Another lie! I didn't not say the reasoning for what happened.... But stop running your mouth if your looking at a video that didn't record the confrontation from the very start until the finish. Who said that your reasoning is accurate. Yall are always looking to have a problem with him for whatever reason or another. Had it been one of your favorites on the team, you wouldn't have opened your mouth! I hate this whole thing happened because, it gives you people more things to bash him about. if he would have just stood there and let them push him around, you would bashed him for that too....Miss me with that BS and keep my name out of your mouth. 

momma trust me when i say there are goobers on here that will smear anyone to make gus look bad. most of the folks on here know you are a class act and raised worm to be the same. you and worm are much loved and respected by those on here with those who have no agenda. let em eat fish heads and drown in their own hate. they do not rep the mostly great people on here.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2019 at 9:49 PM, OrionXavier said:

The doom and gloom in here after one game is ridiculous.  Doubt you were saying the same thing the first 5 weeks.  If Auburn had made a few plays and won, you wouldn't be saying the same thing.  Game plan was fine (as Coach said, sometimes  it works and sometimes it doesn't), but Bo Nix is a true freshman and this result is likely in a hostile environment like Gainsville.  I was there and it was pretty rowdy.  Nix looked rocked and made many poor decisions.  The pick in the endzone was a game changer as well as all of the poor throws to open receivers.  Coach is right and this team will rebound.  I think this will be a good leaning experience for Nix.

War Eagle!

the debbie downers are so bad on here they actually got a write up on al.com. some have hoped gus would die so he would be gone. some hoped we would get busted by the ncaa to get gone. one cat even threw mrs gus under the bus as well. if you hang around long enough you will find out..........

• Like 1