Zeek

I'm bored and in a writing mood so come indulge me in discussion for all things 2020 Auburn Football. The first thing I wanted to discuss is our rather peculiar schedule for next season. There's reason for concern and optimism when looking at how things might shake out. For some, I know you don't even want to think about next season until this one is over but for others it's important to always keep an eye on what's ahead.

2020 Schedule

Alcorn State

North Carolina @ Atlanta

@Ole Miss

Southern Miss

Kentucky

@Georgia

Texas A&M

BYE

@Mississippi State

Arkansas

UMass

LSU

@Alabama

Alcorn State - is a nice break from our killer opening schedule the last few years. We'll drastically need the opportunity to figure out a few positions and I'm extremely thankful we're not playing an Oregon/Washington/Clemson type team in week one next year.

North Carolina - Auburn fans should show up in Atlanta enough to make it feel like a home game. This isn't one to sleep on and it might just be prime time television. Mack Brown is recruiting well and he has a young dangerous signal caller. This is a game Auburn should be able to control and win but the Tarheels are on an upward trajectory while we seem primed for a minor rebuild.

Ole Miss - They don't particularly scare me. Their offense has looked good at times this year but overall the program is and will remain a dumpster fire. I would wager they'll be in their first year under a new head coach. We should enjoy a relatively easy road win here and continue to break in a lot of new and young starters.

Southern Miss - BRETT FAVRE AIN'T COMIN OUT THAT TUNNELL PAWLLLLL

Kentucky - We're going to stop this weird habit we have of struggling with Kentucky. Let's clap them and head into our oddly timed Georgia game relatively healthy and rested. The Wildcats have been better than some years but still seem to be trending down. Could be a 'trap' game if we're caught looking ahead but we should handle them and put up easy points.

Georgia - The Bulldogs are slipping and I'm not sure why. Not following their program closely, or at all, means I'm not sure why they don't seem to be the juggernauts Smart had them destined to become. Fromm has regressed in what's likely his final year with the Dawgs and the team has looked awful in a number of games (compared to their Saban like performances from previous seasons). Fromm's current backup is a 5'10" 190 lbs. JUCO transfer... they have a 4* kid committed currently with a much bigger build.

Texas A&M - this year's game against the Aggies has me feeling like they're not going to be the next juggernaut of the SEC West. Kellen Mond has been playing really well but the Aggies are still only 'good' and not 'great'. Jimbo will undoubtedly continue to recruit well but he still should be held responsible for the current quality of FSU's program. Aggies will be tough but I like how we looked against them this year at their home with a young QB.

Miss State - even less sold on Moorehead and I already didn't think much of him. They have a young quarterback who will be tough to contain moving forward; still the program shouldn't be able to compete with us and we have a bye beforehand (which Gus actually does a good job utilizing).

Arkansas - they want Morris out even though I believe he's making some improvements from the dumpster fire that team is. Regardless of what happens, they still shouldn't be ready to compete against us this season.

UMass - boring typical easy matchup at this time of year.

LSU - Burrow will be gone which will help in a sense. They don't have that Fournette level running back. With both of these factors it'll be interesting to see how they look next season. If the assistants all stay in place they might be just as tough. However, it seems to me that with the year they're having some coaches might get their chances elsewhere. Aranda should be a head coach next year. This will be an extremely tough matchup but at least it's at home and after playing UMass.

Alabama - it's going to be awful playing LSU before Alabama with no break in-between. Thankfully Alabama plays Texas A&M before our matchup so they won't have a cake opponent. Quite frankly, I think they're going to struggle after Tua leaves. Like LSU, they don't have that dominant RB to lean on and the next man up at QB is far from proven. It's likely they'll have 5* true freshmen Bryce Young competing for their starting spot. Signing Tua's little brother isn't going to be the second coming like they hope. This will be a tough away game nonetheless.

Now, after the schedule my attention turns towards players that won't be here next season. I'll keep this list updated as players transfer or declare for the draft. So for now (10/25) I'll just list seniors.

1. Marlon Davidson DE
  2. Derrick Brown DT
  3. Kam Martin RB
  4. Javaris Davis DB
  5. Wil Appleton QB
  6. Jeremiah Dinson DB
  7. Daniel Thomas DB
  8. Sage Ledbetter K
  9. Sam Sherrod DB
  10. Will Hastings WR
  11. Jacob Rogers DB
  12. Jay Jay Wilson HB
  13. Craig Carter LB
  14. Kaleb Kim OL
  15. Mike Horton OL
  16. Bailey Sharp OL
  17. Jack Driscoll OL
  18. Trent Kelley OL
  19. Prince Tega Wanogho OL
  20. Marquel Harrell OL
  21. Sal Cannella WR
  22. Pace Ozmint WR
  23. Phelps Gambill TE
  24. Gary Walker DE
  25. Spencer Nigh FB

Funny to me that we have a distinction between FB/TE/HB. Obviously the OL is the area where we lost the most talent and DL is a close second if Nick Coe really ends up declaring and leaving; if Coe somehow returns we just might be a little more steady at the position.

My watch list for declaring early or transferring:

1. Nick Coe - after this season he might need an additional year
  2. Big Kat Bryant - I don't think he will leave early but we've seen guys leave early before that shouldn't have
  3. Joey Gatewood - could transfer but it keeps sounding like he's committed to Auburn regardless
  4. Matthew Hill - he might not but I can't imagine him staying with his current usage and role. Especially with the group of receivers coming in next year.
  5. Harold Joiner - I'm not sure which RB will transfer but it seems likely that at least one will with only Kam Martin leaving

Our biggest loss is the OL. We have 6 OL currently committed that will come in and try to fight for a spot. We keep our starting quarterback, skill players, linebackers, and some key positions in our secondary. We have the potential to avoid dropping off too far but the adage about winning up front is true and we're going to be much younger on both sides of the ball.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

I see 9 wins at the minimum. 

Honestly, me too. The OL will be more raw but Bo’s growth and the returning skill players should help. We lose some absolute studs on defense but Steele has yet to let us down (season-wise, he’s had a bad game or two).

New Oline and Dline could cause problems early.  That UNC game could be your typical bump in the road while we reload.

Ole Miss on the road could be tricky especially if UNC goes poorly

Kentucky has trap game written all over it

UGA will be good but will depend on QB

Texas A&M should be better with the recruiting Jimbos done and it’s at home 

Schrader will keep Miss State annoying

Chad Morris might finally have enough guys to do what he wants to do

Bama and LSU gonna be Bama and LSU.

I don’t expect that big of a drop off on the Oline actually.  Brahms, Stutts, Troxell, and the Jucos May provide some stability.

Interior of the Dline scares me a bit.  Truesdell, Newkirk, and Coynis with Big Kat, Hand, and Moultry on the outside?  Am I missing anyone?  Need more depth inside.  

Will need a couple young WRs to step up

May be a breakout year at RB

Will Bo progress or sophomore slump it?

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

I think everyone is underestimating how much we’re going to miss Derrick Brown and Davidson next year. It’s gonna look rough

I don’t think anyone is underestimating that. What people are underestimating is the amount of time it takes to field an effective offensive line unit. They need time to build the strength, they need time to learn the position, then they need time to learn to play as a unit, then they need experience as a unit. No one coming in this recruiting class should be expected to start on the oline and we are going to be leaning heavy on them, not good, not good at all

16 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

I don’t think anyone is underestimating that. What people are underestimating is the amount of time it takes to field an effective offensive line unit. They need time to build the strength, they need time to learn the position, then they need time to learn to play as a unit, then they need experience as a unit. No one coming in this recruiting class should be expected to start on the oline and we are going to be leaning heavy on them, not good, not good at all

Yep. And people think it’s bad this year. Next year could be even worse for our OL

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

Wait, wait, wait we flipped Georgia for LSU wtf how does that help!?!?!?

As far as strength of opponent it doesn't but LSU will be a home game before a road game with Bama where Georgia would have been a road game.

Next year looks to me like  the season rests on the 3 rivalry games. UGA at Athens, LSU at Jordan-Hare, and Bama at Tuscaloosa. IMO, all the other games are Auburn's to lose. Even with the losses in the OL and DL, Auburn will still have more talent than the others -- except the 3 rivals.

With Burrow gone and playing at home, I think Auburn has a pretty good shot a beating LSU. As for UGA and Bama -- ??????

5 hours ago, CAReeves2010 said:

I'm not a fan of the current cross division schedules. Why are we playing UK next year when we played them in 2015? USC should be next up going by the latest changes in scheduling.

Because we played USC in 2014 at home.  If we played them next year, it would also be at home.  Have to stagger them by a year to get the road game in.

I heard a high school coach a few years ago say, "the only thing that is going to help this team next season is graduation." That could hold true for our OL. While they are improved this year, it's one of the worst senior led units I've ever seen. 

16 hours ago, Zeek said:

I'm bored and in a writing mood so come indulge me in discussion for all things 2020 Auburn Football. The first thing I wanted to discuss is our rather peculiar schedule for next season. There's reason for concern and optimism when looking at how things might shake out. For some, I know you don't even want to think about next season until this one is over but for others it's important to always keep an eye on what's ahead.

2020 Schedule

Alcorn State

North Carolina @ Atlanta

@Ole Miss

Southern Miss

Kentucky

@Georgia

Texas A&M

BYE

@Mississippi State

Arkansas

UMass

LSU

@Alabama

Alcorn State - is a nice break from our killer opening schedule the last few years. We'll drastically need the opportunity to figure out a few positions and I'm extremely thankful we're not playing an Oregon/Washington/Clemson type team in week one next year.

North Carolina - Auburn fans should show up in Atlanta enough to make it feel like a home game. This isn't one to sleep on and it might just be prime time television. Mack Brown is recruiting well and he has a young dangerous signal caller. This is a game Auburn should be able to control and win but the Tarheels are on an upward trajectory while we seem primed for a minor rebuild.

Ole Miss - They don't particularly scare me. Their offense has looked good at times this year but overall the program is and will remain a dumpster fire. I would wager they'll be in their first year under a new head coach. We should enjoy a relatively easy road win here and continue to break in a lot of new and young starters.

Southern Miss - BRETT FAVRE AIN'T COMIN OUT THAT TUNNELL PAWLLLLL

Kentucky - We're going to stop this weird habit we have of struggling with Kentucky. Let's clap them and head into our oddly timed Georgia game relatively healthy and rested. The Wildcats have been better than some years but still seem to be trending down. Could be a 'trap' game if we're caught looking ahead but we should handle them and put up easy points.

Georgia - The Bulldogs are slipping and I'm not sure why. Not following their program closely, or at all, means I'm not sure why they don't seem to be the juggernauts Smart had them destined to become. Fromm has regressed in what's likely his final year with the Dawgs and the team has looked awful in a number of games (compared to their Saban like performances from previous seasons). Fromm's current backup is a 5'10" 190 lbs. JUCO transfer... they have a 4* kid committed currently with a much bigger build.

Texas A&M - this year's game against the Aggies has me feeling like they're not going to be the next juggernaut of the SEC West. Kellen Mond has been playing really well but the Aggies are still only 'good' and not 'great'. Jimbo will undoubtedly continue to recruit well but he still should be held responsible for the current quality of FSU's program. Aggies will be tough but I like how we looked against them this year at their home with a young QB.

Miss State - even less sold on Moorehead and I already didn't think much of him. They have a young quarterback who will be tough to contain moving forward; still the program shouldn't be able to compete with us and we have a bye beforehand (which Gus actually does a good job utilizing).

Arkansas - they want Morris out even though I believe he's making some improvements from the dumpster fire that team is. Regardless of what happens, they still shouldn't be ready to compete against us this season.

UMass - boring typical easy matchup at this time of year.

LSU - Burrow will be gone which will help in a sense. They don't have that Fournette level running back. With both of these factors it'll be interesting to see how they look next season. If the assistants all stay in place they might be just as tough. However, it seems to me that with the year they're having some coaches might get their chances elsewhere. Aranda should be a head coach next year. This will be an extremely tough matchup but at least it's at home and after playing UMass.

Alabama - it's going to be awful playing LSU before Alabama with no break in-between. Thankfully Alabama plays Texas A&M before our matchup so they won't have a cake opponent. Quite frankly, I think they're going to struggle after Tua leaves. Like LSU, they don't have that dominant RB to lean on and the next man up at QB is far from proven. It's likely they'll have 5* true freshmen Bryce Young competing for their starting spot. Signing Tua's little brother isn't going to be the second coming like they hope. This will be a tough away game nonetheless.

Now, after the schedule my attention turns towards players that won't be here next season. I'll keep this list updated as players transfer or declare for the draft. So for now (10/25) I'll just list seniors.

1. Marlon Davidson DE-huge loss
  2. Derrick Brown DT-biggest blow, but CKS and CRG have done great at getting guys reps so I think Truesdale and hopefully Coe, Newkirk and Miller will step up along with BKB and TD Moultry. Plus we have the young Bucks from last year's class.
  3. Kam Martin RB
  4. Javaris Davis DB- JD is fast but I like some of the guys we have behind him honestly. I like length on DBS
  5. Wil Appleton QB
  6. Jeremiah Dinson DB-experience loss, but I love Sherwood and Smoke as a S tandem. 
  7. Daniel Thomas DB - See above^^^^^^^will end up better off with Smoke
  8. Sage Ledbetter K
  9. Sam Sherrod DB
  10. Will Hastings WR - Not very productive this year. Love the kid though, but isn't going to kill us 
  11. Jacob Rogers DB
  12. Jay Jay Wilson HB
  13. Craig Carter LB
  14. Kaleb Kim OL
  15. Mike Horton OL
  16. Bailey Sharp OL
  17. Jack Driscoll OL
  18. Trent Kelley OL
  19. Prince Tega Wanogho OL
  20. Marquel Harrell OL
  21. Sal Cannella WR - will be a bigger loss than some expect. Sal vastly improved this year and has been a staple in perimeter blocking
  22. Pace Ozmint WR
  23. Phelps Gambill TE
  24. Gary Walker DE
  25. Spencer Nigh FB - Big loss. Nigh has been a nice blocker. We usually do a good job of feeling this role. Enter Deal, Brown? 

Funny to me that we have a distinction between FB/TE/HB. Obviously the OL is the area where we lost the most talent and DL is a close second if Nick Coe really ends up declaring and leaving; if Coe somehow returns we just might be a little more steady at the position.

My watch list for declaring early or transferring:

1. Nick Coe - after this season he might need an additional year-Thats the brightside of his lackluster season is maybe he returns. Would rather he turn it on today and never look back though.
  2. Big Kat Bryant - I don't think he will leave early but we've seen guys leave early before that shouldn't have -Jeff Holland left and had 10X the season BKB is having his jr year. BKB should come back
  3. Joey Gatewood - could transfer but it keeps sounding like he's committed to Auburn regardless -I think we get one more year and he graduates before doing anything 
  4. Matthew Hill - he might not but I can't imagine him staying with his current usage and role. Especially with the group of receivers coming in next year. This one is huge. I agree he could easily go and it wouldn't surprise me. I think he could be a monster, but we have some dudes here 
  5. Harold Joiner - I'm not sure which RB will transfer but it seems likely that at least one will with only Kam Martin leaving - I agree. I hope he doesn't. 

Our biggest loss is the OL. We have 6 OL currently committed that will come in and try to fight for a spot. We keep our starting quarterback, skill players, linebackers, and some key positions in our secondary. We have the potential to avoid dropping off too far but the adage about winning up front is true and we're going to be much younger on both sides of the ball.-Dline I think we will be ok. I think The DL takes a step back for sure, but LBS will be monsters, and I think our secondary may actually be better with Iggy, Tutt, McCreary, Sherwood, and Monday. I like that group.

First off, Thank you for doing this thread. Yes we are still very much alive (as of 7:00AM LSU gameday) for everything we want this year, but I alway appreciate a good thread.  I bolded some notes in your OP.  

As far as the 2020 season. I honestly am more optimistic than most. Assuming we hold on to all the recruits we currently have, and maybe snag a surprise DL or 2, I think we have a good chance of a 10 win minimum season. Of Course D-wreck Brown and Mar-boro Davidson are going to be huge losses as well as the Off Line. I don't worry about Defense under Coach Steele nor will I until he gives me a reason to. As for the Offense, I think we may have a chance to be pretty special. The schedule sets up nice to let our new OL time to gel before the meat of our schedule. I think it could be a situation of addition by subtraction. Yes experience is irreplaceable, but these guys just aren't nasty. I think some of the people we are bringing in plus some on the current depth chart have some meanness to them. I am excited for that. 

We also have Bo coming back and our best 2 WRS in Williams and Schwartz. We lose Sal who has been a key piece blocking this year and made some nice grabs, too. Shed Jackson will be back though and he is one of the best perimeter blockers. We also have a stud WR class as well as the guys we brought in last class ( J. Johnson, J. Sheffield, the to TEs Fromm and Deal )

All in all, everything will hinge on our OL next season. We will have an experienced QB and a ton of weapons. If the OL can come in and play mean to start with and get some continuity and start to gel within the first 3-4 games without us taking an L......It could set up nicely for a run. I actually think Gus may be ok if he can continue to recruit OL and QBs like he has this year. 

Simpson Bowl week 2 jumps out at me 😉. Get ready for BSPN, Al.com and Saturday Down South to grind on our weak schedule if we dont play 5 top 10 teams. 

You don’t replace Brown and Davidson.  They are both team leaders and first rounders in my book.  Brown should win the Outland.  But Rodney always seems to come up with guys so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt that he will find some anchors on the DL.  

P.S.  If we had better O linemen they would be playing.  This may be the biggest problem area going into next year.

9 hours ago, AURex said:

Next year looks to me like  the season rests on the 3 rivalry games. UGA at Athens, LSU at Jordan-Hare, and Bama at Tuscaloosa. IMO, all the other games are Auburn's to lose. Even with the losses in the OL and DL, Auburn will still have more talent than the others -- except the 3 rivals.

With Burrow gone and playing at home, I think Auburn has a pretty good shot a beating LSU. As for UGA and Bama -- ??????

Yup Bama, Georgia, and LSU having new quarterbacks shouldn’t hurt us

49 minutes ago, weagl1 said:

You don’t replace Brown and Davidson.  They are both team leaders and first rounders in my book.  Brown should win the Outland.  But Rodney always seems to come up with guys so I have to give him the benefit of the doubt that he will find some anchors on the DL.  

P.S.  If we had better O linemen they would be playing.  This may be the biggest problem area going into next year.

A few posters here, who are typically informed to some degree, seem to believe that seniority has be a big reason why others aren’t starting FWIW

12 hours ago, gr82be said:
13 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Wait, wait, wait we flipped Georgia for LSU wtf how does that help!?!?!?

As far as strength of opponent it doesn't but LSU will be a home game before a road game with Bama where Georgia would have been a road game.

Also, instead of bammer having Western Carolina as this year, next year they have Texas A&M, so the PTB did, at least, even that out.

32 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Also, instead of bammer having Western Carolina as this year, next year they have Texas A&M, so the PTB did, at least, even that out.

Do we atleast have a bye week between LSU and Bama? I don’t want our schedule at the end of the year to be LSU, Bama, Sec Championship (Best team from East likely Georgia or Florida), then Semi Final top 4 team, then championship top 2 team. I’d rather spread it out and not have that gauntlet all at the end, very likely going to slip up with that schedule.

56 minutes ago, sevenlee36 said:

Do we atleast have a bye week between LSU and Bama? I don’t want our schedule at the end of the year to be LSU, Bama, Sec Championship (Best team from East likely Georgia or Florida), then Semi Final top 4 team, then championship top 2 team. I’d rather spread it out and not have that gauntlet all at the end, very likely going to slip up with that schedule.

I agree.

Unfortunately, no.  But they don't have a bye either.  So there's that at least...

Archived