2019 4* SF Isaac Okoro Commits to AU!

ellitor

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

? ? Boomin 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

For those wondering, on the composite he needs about a combined 20 spot jump on the 3 sites to be a composite 5*. He just had an 18 spot jump on Rivals but near the same drop on 247.

What 4-star small forward Isaac Okoro's commitment means for Auburn basketball

Auburn basketball received a midnight surprise Tuesday night, when four-star small forward Isaac Okoro announced his commitment to the program via Twitter.

The 6-foot-5, 200-pound wing became the second member of Auburn's 2019 recruiting class, joining McEachern High (Powder Springs, Ga.) teammate and three-star power forward Babatunde Akingbola -- though the 6-foot-8 big man could still reclassify and join the Tigers ahead of the upcoming season. That gives Auburn two of the top-11 players in Georgia for the 2019 class.

Okoro's commitment is impactful for Auburn, which now has the No. 8 recruiting class in the nation thanks to the two Georgia stars. That would give the Tigers their highest-ranked recruiting class under head coach Bruce Pearl, surpassing the 12th-ranked 2016 class that included five-star prospects Mustapha Heron and Austin Wiley, as well as Jared Harper and Anfernee McLemore.

It's particularly meaningful for an Auburn team that did not have any players sign to the 2018 class in the aftermath of the FBI investigation into former associate head coach Chuck Person -- which cost the program the commitment of five-star forward E.J. Montgomery.

Since the dust has settled, however, Auburn has picked up commitments from both McEachern stars, with Okoro's recent commitment being of particular note, as he held offers from most of the SEC's top programs, save for Kentucky.

Okoro is rated as the No. 1 player in Georgia in the 2019 class, the nation's No. 8 small forward and a top-35 player overall in the country. According to the 247Sports Composite rankings, his .9872 ranking would be the second-highest ranked recruit under Pearl at Auburn, behind only Heron (.9911) and just ahead of Wiley (.9861).

After a strong junior campaign at McEachern, which ended in the Class 7A quarterfinals, the 6-foot-5 Okoro has been on a tear this summer, making waves with his athleticism on the Nike EYBL circuit for the Athletes of Tomorrow Running Rebels and earlier this month at the Peach Jam. On the Nike EYBL circuit, Okoro averaged 17.7 points, 8.4 rebounds and 4.1 assists per game while shooting 51.7 percent from the field. In the Peach Jam, he averaged 17.8 points, 11.2 rebounds, five assists and 3.5 steals over his team's final four games.

Prior to that, Okoro competed with Team USA at the FIBA-U17 World Cup in Argentina, where Auburn coaches were reportedly the only ones to make the trip to watch him play, according to USA Today. While playing for Team USA, which took home its fifth title at the event, Okoro averaged 4.3 points, 1.9 rebounds and 1.3 assists per game in 12.5 minutes per contest.

While Okoro's athleticism and ability to play above the rim is his strong suit, there are certainly areas he can improve upon before he arrives on campus, particularly with his shooting. In the Nike EYBL circuit, he shot just 28.1 percent (9-of-32) from 3-point range and just 68.8 percent (66-of-96) from the free-throw line.

Still, the addition of Okoro will be welcome for Auburn after this upcoming season, when the Tigers will lose seniors Horace Spencer, Malik Dunbar and Bryce Brown, and could see a potential exodus of underclassmen for the NBA Draft, including Wiley and possibly sophomore forward Chuma Okeke, among others. Okoro would join a presumed rotation of wings that includes Danjel Purifoy, Samir Doughty and Jamal Johnson, the first of whom must sit out 30 percent of Auburn's games this season and the latter of whom will be eligible in 2019 after sitting out the year due to NCAA transfer rules.

So am I right that Cooper, Okoro & Akingboa all play for the same highschool team (McEachern)?  Holly cow.  That seems almost unfair.

E, thanks for adding all this good info today. Crazy we have 2 commitments for 2019 and they are from the same HS.  I like this kids build. Looks like he can handle some rough SEC play.

Welcome to the Family Issac! War Eagle.

BTW, reading the posts in this thread today, I knew when I read GwillMac's post without even looking at the name. Ya gotta love Gwill's excitement!

5 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

So am I right that Cooper, Okoro & Akingboa all play for the same highschool team (McEachern)?  Holly cow.  That seems almost unfair.

Yea, it is unfair. Tons of recruiting in HS Basketball. Most all the really good kids want to play for the same teams and dominate the scene.

Bruce is pulling in talent that will have us contending for the SEC championship and beyond for years to come!  I love Bruce and think he is the best coach in the SEC!

Bruce is ELITE. AU would not have been even an afterthought for these players before he arrived.

17 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

What were his top 5 other offers?

article said he was offered by every SEC school except Kentucky. Not sure who offered outside of SEC.

18 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

What were his top 5 other offers?

The last time he had a recruiting interview was in mid June. Then the other schools on him the most were Oregon, Texas, Georgia, Georgia Tech, NC State, Bama, & South Carolina

23 hours ago, gravejd said:

article said he was offered by every SEC school except Kentucky. Not sure who offered outside of SEC.

What I liked about this is that he was not offered by Kentucky but was by all other SEC schools. This means he is really good but not one and done good. I like players who are just below one and done good as we get to keep them for 2-4 years and as they get better so do we. This is a huge Pickup. We now have two in this class even though one may graduate earlier and count in last years class. With the numbers who will leave after this coming year we need two more. I have faith in Pearl and his coaches to find the right two.

Archived