My Thoughts From the Stadium (Alabama)

abw0004

2 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Ah you also forget people also thought we would lose to Oregon.

Losses to 4 of O, aTm, UF, LSU, UGA and uat would end us at 4 losses.  <---- See the O  right there?  Stands for Oregon.  Should have spelled it out for you.

Let me explain what I clearly wrote in a way that, hopefully, you can understand it.

When AUFamily posters looked ahead at the upcoming 2019 season.  (This 'looking ahead' occurred in the past, before we played any games yet in the 2019 season.)  They most likely asked themselves, "Knowing what I know about Auburn's players and coaching staff, what games are we likely to win this season?"

The usual SEC weaklings?    Yes, I think we can win those.

Charity case games?  Yes, I think we'll win those.

Oregon:  Yes, I think we can win this game.

aTm:  Yes, I think we can win this game.

UF:   Nope. We'll likely lose this game.

LSU: Nope.  Coach O win win this one again.

UGA: Nope.  Kirby is serious.

uat: I hope so, but I'm afraid we won't be able to beat them plus the refs.

Doing the simple math, that's four losses out of the six games Auburn might understandably lose in the 2019 season.   

That is why many thought Auburn would win 8 games this season.  I don't see why you pointed that out as though that expectation was somehow unreasonable.

Please explain how games in other seasons relate to giving people grief this season for not including Tua going out in the above calculations and that believing Auburn would only win 8 games.

15 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Losses to 4 of O, aTm, UF, LSU, UGA and uat would end us at 4 losses.  <---- See the O  right there?  Stands for Oregon.  Should have spelled it out for you.  I understood very clearly what you meant although I missed the "O" so that one I will admit fault.

Let me explain what I clearly wrote in a way that, hopefully, you can understand it.  Yes please write in abbreviated words and incomplete sentences to make it "clear."

Doing the simple math, that's four losses out of the six games Auburn might understandably lose in the 2019 season.  Yes I understand mathematics.  They might have lost those, but didn't lose all of those.  We are instead at 9 wins, so I mentioned that.

That is why many thought Auburn would win 8 games this season.  I don't see why you pointed that out as though that expectation was somehow unreasonable.    Where did I point out that the expectation was unreasonable?  Please go back and find that.  Speaking of not clearly reading things, I said "Most of you thought we would only win eight games this year."  That is all I said.

Please explain how games in other seasons relate to giving people grief this season for not including Tua going out in the above calculations and that believing Auburn would only win 8 games.  Okay so I am apparently the one that needs to further water this down.  When AUFamily posters say on this site that we had zero excuses for losing the 2017 SEC game when our starting quarterback, middle linebacker, cover corner, and starting running back were all injured and/or out of the game completely in the same breath you cannot take the importance of this win away by saying Alabama lost their Heisman quarterback.  That is what is called hypocritical, which means talking out of both sides of your mouth.

You are taking one small sentence out of the entire post and blowing it up into something that was not meant to be.  

25 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

"Most of you thought we would only win eight games this year."

You are taking one small sentence out of the entire post and blowing it up into something that was not meant to be.  

This is likely the case.  I am not the only one who read that as a stating that expecting an 8 win season was somehow unreasonable.  However, I'll accept that this has been a case of my inference, rather than your implication.  

I never said Auburn lost all the games they could have lost.  I said 'four of' those games.  We seem to agree we didn't lose all the games some thought we could lose.

I don't equate leaving out possible, as yet unrealized, injuries in predicting a win or loss with claiming a win isn't a win after the fact.  That seems like a different subject and a different argument to me. 

We didn't beat a bama team running at 100% efficiency on Saturday.  People can make of that whatever they choose.  Some will probably say we're a terrible team and squeaked by tuscaloosa roadkill while others will think Gus is a genius.  Whatever.  As far as I'm concerned, any win over bama is a good win.  I'm not going to draw any larger conclusions from it.  I'm going to just enjoy the win.  

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

This is likely the case.  I am not the only one who read that as a stating that expecting an 8 win season was somehow unreasonable.  However, I'll accept that this has been a case of my inference, rather than your implication.  

I never said Auburn lost all the games they could have lost.  I said 'four of' those games.  We seem to agree we didn't lose all the games some thought we could lose.

I don't equate leaving out possible, as yet unrealized, injuries in predicting a win or loss with claiming a win isn't a win after the fact.  That seems like a different subject and a different argument to me. 

We didn't beat a bama team running at 100% efficiency on Saturday.  People can make of that whatever they choose.  Some will probably say we're a terrible team and squeaked by tuscaloosa roadkill while others will think Gus is a genius.  Whatever.  As far as I'm concerned, any win over bama is a good win.  I'm not going to draw any larger conclusions from it.  I'm going to just enjoy the win.  

Thank you.  That was all I meant, that we were performing a little better than many had anticipated.  No malice ever intended.  

Auburn performed better this year than expected based on the coaching, personnel and schedule.  The expectation should be for us to compete for championships.  Every year.  No one expected it this year.  That's sad and lies at the feet of the coach (in my opinion).

I don't see the point of all the chest beating over 9 wins.  Yeah, we beat expectations.  Expectations that have been lowered for years based on the #butgus principle.

I am SO STOKED we beat the turds, but the future has not changed after one game.  I don't think Gus has turned the corner but I do think that once again he has earned another year.  I hope we can win another bowl game, make a few appropriate staff changes, finish recruiting strong and head into next season with hope springing eternal.

4 hours ago, AURealist said:

So Auburn fans were unable to predict bama's best player, the Heisman candidate, would suffer a season-ending injury.

Definitely something to gloat about.   

I don't buy the Tua thing. The Jones kid played a hell of a game and did stuff that Tua doesn't do. Like stepping into a hit to throw a pass and lowering his head to truck and hit players to get a first down. If you watch Tua, and Hurts was/is the same way, when they get pressured they turn the ball over and they make mistakes.

Also injuries are part of the game. If Auburn would of loss do the early season prediction people get a break cause we didn't play with Schwartz? Why predictions should also include depth of roster.

5 hours ago, AURealist said:

I'm going to just enjoy the win.  

Weird way to express enjoyment, but whatever. WDE!!!

On 12/2/2019 at 4:21 PM, Texan4Auburn said:

I don't buy the Tua thing. The Jones kid played a hell of a game and did stuff that Tua doesn't do. Like stepping into a hit to throw a pass and lowering his head to truck and hit players to get a first down. If you watch Tua, and Hurts was/is the same way, when they get pressured they turn the ball over and they make mistakes.

Also injuries are part of the game. If Auburn would of loss do the early season prediction people get a break cause we didn't play with Schwartz? Why predictions should also include depth of roster.

Would Tua have thrown 2 pick sixes?

Saban’s Thoughts from the Stadium 

E90C462A-82BC-4829-B915-BD205CBC447B.jpeg

Archived