2020 5* OT Broderick Jones (UGA)

Auburn Kev

SIAP but people connected to the program on the bunker still expect Jones in sometime today for a UOV. Even if he does come in today I’m not sure it would be made public knowledge.

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ellitor said:

SIAP but people connected to the program on the bunker still expect Jones in sometime today for a UOV. Even if he does come in today I’m not sure it would be made public knowledge.

If he signs with us next week it will be done in DeAngelo Benton style where he had to drive to the closest Kinko's a few towns over to fax his NLI! Lol.

27 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

But WE are Auburn!!! Quite frankly, if he has no interest in us any more, I'd rather him not come. I guess that's kind of rude. If he's coming with an open mind, then fine. Is there a chance that Kirby told him that if took anymore OVs that UGA wouldn't take him, but he still is interested in Auburn and wants to unofficial to make up his mind? I hope we play lights out tonight and has the time of his life and tells Kirby to shove it.

Apparently “hope” is the only OL recruiting strategy we have.  

I guess imo if he’s still going on an uov that means he’s either there just for the game or wants to soak in the experience without all the coaches around. Either way a strange event if he shows up.

50 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Lol. Sighhhh smh. This has happened back to back years. Wanya Morris cancelled his OV to us after his Tennessee OV. If we got him to campus that next weekend we most likely get him. We can't win for losing. Strategically placed visits are crucial in crutin. Timing is everything. We are on a historically bad run at recruiting high school OT. There are way lesser programs who have done better in OT and OL crutin than us lately. We somehow top ourselves years after year on digging a even bigger hole.

It’s great to get the last visit - if you get the last visit!  The better strategy is to get the 2nd to last visit so that you can get the recruit to cancel his last visit (ala, UGA & UT). Unfortunately our coaches either don’t try that strategy or they are unable to recruit (and/or negative recruit) well enough to ever convince a big time recruit to not take his last visit.

58 minutes ago, ellitor said:

So you’re telling us there’s a chance 

38 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

Sorry if this is in the thread way back, but has this kid ever visited Auburn?

Yes plenty of times. Last visit was the iron bowl.

We will be fine at Tackle. All that has to happen is for Troxell to be at 100% after his third knee surgery,  or for Zeirer to fully recover from his knee surgery a few weeks ago, master our playbook, and get acclimated to SEC football in 3 weeks of fall camp. If those don’t fall into place, Coffey can gain 20 pounds, master our playbook, and get acclimated to SEC football in 3 weeks of fall camp. Gus has got a great plan for this. 😒

6 minutes ago, doug3020 said:

When was the last time we signed a sought after HS OT (serious question)?

Calvin Ashley a few years ago was a 5 star... we saw how that one turned out. That dude honestly killed our future recruiting on the OL. 

We may have gotten CA because other programs did enough research to know what might happen there.  I don't know. We just seem OT snakebit right now.

In KN’s article 100 minutes ago about 10 Juniors visiting today.

Five-star offensive tackle Amarius Mims, Cochran. (Ga.) Bleckley County: The No. 3 tackle in the country for 2021, he has visited the Tigers at least three known times. With Auburn now unlikely to land 5-star tackle Broderick Jones in the 2020 class, that makes Mims an even bigger target for the Tigers in the next cycle.

16 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Five-star offensive tackle Amarius Mims, Cochran. (Ga.) Bleckley County: The No. 3 tackle in the country for 2021, he has visited the Tigers at least three known times. With Auburn now unlikely to land 5-star tackle Broderick Jones in the 2020 class, that makes Mims an even bigger target for the Tigers in the next cycle.

I wouldn’t consider missing out on BJ a mark against Gus. It seems like the staff has worked their asses off trying to get him to Auburn. I also wouldn’t necessarily blame the Calvin Ashley bust on him either - things like that just happen. 

But all the others? The lack of recruiting at the position? For several years now? Taking other skill position players over a position of perhaps 2nd or 3rd most importance on any team (if not 1st)? There’s no excuse for that. 

If this were 2010 or 2011, it wouldn’t sting as badly since Auburn was pretty much killing it with OL recruiting, taking both high rated and avg rated players in big numbers during Chizik’s tenure with regularity. Because we just now apparently remembered we need to recruit the position and are having to seek out JC players to fill out a depth chart, this sucks. Shortsighted personnel management by the staff for a couple of years now, and now they’re desperate to try and catch up

42 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

He will be no less of a target regardless of what happens with Jones. I can't see where the two are even related.

13 minutes ago, lca408 said:

I wouldn’t consider missing out on BJ a mark against Gus. It seems like the staff has worked their asses off trying to get him to Auburn. I also wouldn’t necessarily blame the Calvin Ashley bust on him either - things like that just happen. 

But all the others? The lack of recruiting at the position? For several years now? Taking other skill position players over a position of perhaps 2nd or 3rd most importance on any team (if not 1st)? There’s no excuse for that. 

If this were 2010 or 2011, it wouldn’t sting as badly since Auburn was pretty much killing it with OL recruiting, taking both high rated and avg rated players in big numbers during Chizik’s tenure with regularity. Because we just now apparently remembered we need to recruit the position and are having to seek out JC players to fill out a depth chart, this sucks. Shortsighted personnel management by the staff for a couple of years now, and now they’re desperate to try and catch up

It’s a mark against Gus that we are in such poor shape at OT that this kid is that huge of a priority. 

Jones has been offered by uga 10k not to visit AU. uga has gone off the reservation the past two years. People are fed up and want this out. Yep you read this right, 10k not to visit. Directly from and by Kirby. 

Whoever signs this kid, good luck. Kid is a talent but damn. Enough is enough. 

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

It’s a mark against Gus that we are in such poor shape at OT that this kid is that huge of a priority. 

This can be said every year for the past four years. It is remarkable

This topic has been beat to death, but OL is perhaps the worst spot to screw up your pipeline. Most guys just need a couple of years to develop.  At almost every other position, you can get immediate help from incoming freshmen.  Overall, Gus and his staff have been killing it on the recruiting trail.  I think this year is their best effort. We are running out of scholarships before we run out of high quality guys to fill them. Still, we are going to pay the price next year for past mistakes.  We need to find a transfer or two who is ready to play now.

6 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Jones has been offered by uga 10k not to visit AU.

If that's just not to visit, what's the total price to sign this kid?

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

We will be fine at Tackle. All that has to happen is for Troxell to be at 100% after his third knee surgery,  or for Zeirer to fully recover from his knee surgery a few weeks ago, master our playbook, and get acclimated to SEC football in 3 weeks of fall camp. If those don’t fall into place, Coffey can gain 20 pounds, master our playbook, and get acclimated to SEC football in 3 weeks of fall camp. Gus has got a great plan for this. 😒

Depth!

Absolutely right @WarDamnEagleWDE. Hearing the same exact thing. I’m all for honor among thieves, but damn. They’ve gone to the next level. Last two or three years, Kirby has gone to a level that would make Saban blush. It’s gonna blow up in his face eventually. 

14 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Jones has been offered by uga 10k not to visit AU. uga has gone off the reservation the past two years. People are fed up and want this out. Yep you read this right, 10k not to visit. Directly from and by Kirby. 

Well, if this is common knowledge, IS this getting out to the right people?

10 minutes ago, mcgufcm said:

Absolutely right @WarDamnEagleWDE. Hearing the same exact thing. I’m all for honor among thieves, but damn. They’ve gone to the next level. Last two or three years, Kirby has gone to a level that would make Saban blush. It’s gonna blow up in his face eventually. 

Yep. This isn’t some message board stuff I was posting. “Burn it down” is the term I was told. 

Archived