War Eagle Everywhere

WarEagle1982

I have spent the last few days in NYC.  My wife and I took a trip, without kids, for our 15th anniversary.  It’s our first time in the Big Apple.  I have been shocked at the number of “War Eagles” I have had the privilege of sharing while here.  It truly shows that Auburn people can connect anywhere!  Flying back home to North Alabama tonight.  It definitely has made me appreciate my little country corner of the world even more.  WDE!

We have received three War Eagles’s in London England this week. Actually one in Manchester, two in London.

And getting a War Eagle in the UK, was certainly a bit of a jolly!

Love it! My most surprising have been on the streets of San Francisco and in the Neuschwanstein Castle parking lot! Every time it never fails to delight!

Closer to home, you often get blank stares. I think some forget what they're wearing....

31 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

We have received three War Eagles’s in London England this week. Actually one in Manchester, two in London.

And getting a War Eagle in the UK, was certainly a bit of a jolly!

24...did you fly into Manchester or London? We're looking at both for this summer,  whichever ends up being the most economical. It's been too long...

Safe travels and enjoy every moment!

42 minutes ago, WarEagle1982 said:

I have spent the last few days in NYC.  My wife and I took a trip, without kids, for our 15th anniversary.  It’s our first time in the Big Apple.  I have been shocked at the number of “War Eagles” I have had the privilege of sharing while here.  It truly shows that Auburn people can connect anywhere!  Flying back home to North Alabama tonight.  It definitely has made me appreciate my little country corner of the world even more.  WDE!

I'm so glad you got to go! Happy anniversary to you both! NYC grows on you in a "terribly wonderful, gotta return soon" kind-of-way...though the first day terrified me decades ago! Adore Central Park...

I got a war eagle in Montepulciano, Italy a couple of weeks ago at a restaurant.  Turns out the couple's daughter went to vet school there.  They were from NJ.  Pretty neat.

8 minutes ago, Weagle98 said:

I got a war eagle in Montepulciano, Italy a couple of weeks ago at a restaurant.  Turns out the couple's daughter went to vet school there.  They were from NJ.  Pretty neat.

A town we missed that I heard incredible things about!  Our first trip was this past June.  Was it your first?  Would love to return.

Oh I have gotten a War Eagle in the middle of the Costa Rican jungle and at Pompeii.  Best feeling in the world!

I was wearing my Auburn sweatshirt in Walmart in Fairbanks Alaska and a guy gave me a War Eagle. We struck up a conversation and he asked when I graduated from Auburn and I told him I did not but my father did. He asked when my father graduated and I told him and he then asked if he was in a fraternity. Turns out this guy and my dad were fraternity brothers at the same time. He was in Fairbanks managing the building of the new airport terminal. My father was flying up that week and they were able to get together at my house to watch the Iron Bowl. They had not been in touch for some 40+ years. 

1 minute ago, abw0004 said:

Oh I have gotten a War Eagle in the middle of the Costa Rican jungle and at Pompeii.  Best feeling in the world!

I also got a War Eagle in Pompeii.. as well as pretty much all over Italy. 

34 minutes ago, AlaskanFAN said:

I was wearing my Auburn sweatshirt in Walmart in Fairbanks Alaska and a guy gave me a War Eagle. We  struck up a conversation and he asked when I graduated from Auburn and I told him I did not but my father did. He asked when my father graduated and I told him and he then asked if he was in a fraternity. Turns out this guy and my dad were fraternity brothers at the same time. He was in Fairbanks managing the building the new airport terminal. My father was flying up that week and they were able to get together at my house to watch the Iron Bowl. They had not been in touch for some 40+ years. 

What frat? Just curious

This summer while in Kauai, HI we were at the Kauai Coffee plantation and I ran into 2 Auburn fans one from ATL and the other from Anniston and one even had the same hat on as me.   We stood there and talked a while, pretty cool.   

My big "War Eagle"  came from Bo Jackson at Chicago O'hare. Mid 90's catching a return flight to Atlanta and home to Auburn. He was with wife and said he wished they were going to Auburn with me. 

45 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

What frat? Just curious

Sigma Nu 67’ - also historical note Peewee Jordan (Shugs son) and Larry Blakeney (long time Troy Football HC) we’re also EN’s at that time

4 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

A town we missed that I heard incredible things about!  Our first trip was this past June.  Was it your first?  Would love to return.

Beautiful little town.  We stayed in the AirBNB below, it was one of the best on our whole trip.  The main square had a Christmas market going on and a laser light show around Christmas that was displayed on all four walls surrounding us.  Didn't expect that in this quaint little town.  This was our first trip to Italy and we went to Venice, Bolognia, Florence, Pisa, Montepulciano, Orvieto, Rome, Naples, with day trips to Sorrento, Amalfi, and Pompeii.  No war eagles in Pompeii but it was raining and the place was almost empty except for some Asian tourist.  We just got back 2 weeks ago and some would say it is the off season.  I think it was the perfect time.  Cold at times, but not too cold.  Would rather be cold than hot and I hear the summers can be really hot.  With the amount of walking around we did it was better to be on the cool side.  Crowd size was minimal everywhere we went except the sisetine chapel. 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/24409630?source_impression_id=p3_1577760770_jvAdKThkeYN9ea62

13 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

24...did you fly into Manchester or London? We're looking at both for this summer,  whichever ends up being the most economical. It's been too long...

Safe travels and enjoy every moment!

Thanks for the nice wishes. It will be more economical to fly round-trip to London. (Delta was the best deal for us)  We flew to Manchester first to watch a Manchester United versus New Castle soccer match.

Manchester United won 4 to 1.

Only bad thing is we had to sell our Outback Bowl tickets. 🙁

11 hours ago, AlaskanFAN said:

Sigma Nu 67’ - also historical note Peewee Jordan (Shugs son) and Larry Blakeney (long time Troy Football HC) we’re also EN’s at that time

Theat Chi here our house was across the street from your Dads knew/friends quite a few Sig Nu's back in the day. Funny thing is Peewee was a Sig Nu but Shug was a Theta Chi

My most interesting was when I was filling my car up at a gas station in Ocala Florida, sometime around midnight. Of course, the Auburn decal on my car was prominent. This was before the day of cell phones. Anyway, somebody yells "War Eagle" from a phone booth about 25 yards away and it was Auburn Athletic Director David Housel. Twilight zone stuff!

39 minutes ago, Mikey said:

My most interesting was when I was filling my car up at a gas station in Ocala Florida, sometime around midnight. Of course, the Auburn decal on my car was prominent. This was before the day of cell phones. Anyway, somebody yells "War Eagle" from a phone booth about 25 yards away and it was Auburn Athletic Director David Housel. Twilight zone stuff!

That's neat! And midnight! I remember seeing him each week from Auburn UMC growing up, but yes, to see him out and about outside the Loveliest Village, like Salty seeing Bo in Chicago...these are the moments we never forget. 

Nice man. His wife, Susan, was an elementary teacher, eventually counselor I think, at Wrights Mill Road, where Cam volunteered a couple of decades later. Very well-respected. 

Archived