College Football 2020 (merged threads again)

KnightTiger

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

We will have much bigger issues if, by the time the season should be starting, we're still not able to gather in groups. There is currently talk that our school system might not be meeting in person for the rest of the school year. Thankfully, the governor has already clarified that (if we return at all) students won't be expected to take the state standardized tests.

You are right. This from WaPO sure presents a scary case. I pray to God it doesn't happen.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/a-chilling-scientific-paper-helped-upend-us-and-uk-coronavirus-strategies/ar-BB11jVNP?ocid=spartandhp

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, GoAU said:

And there are absolutely people (that won’t openly admit it) but are thrilled this will have an economic impact and that’s the only thing that would have potentially derailed Trumps re-election.  

You don't think this reeks of paranoia at all? I would think even if someone was happy this ended Trump's regime, they'd still be thinking of the human disaster first and foremost. 

I believe that's where the focus should be and has been for the normal population

52 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You don't think this reeks of paranoia at all? I would think even if someone was happy this ended Trump's regime, they'd still be thinking of the human disaster first and foremost. 

I believe that's where the focus should be and has been for the normal population

I absolutely agree that is where the focus SHOULD be. It IS where the focus is for me.  Do I feel it is the focus for everyone, sadly not.  

I think, as wrong as it is, that there are people in both parties that put their political parties ahead of the greater good of our nation.  

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

And it shouldn't matter what someone's political views or even religious views are. The person who can take that attitude in  something that is hurting so many, is a really sad and lost person. 

It's just time to help others if they are down and practice what we like to preach. Do unto others...those who can financially help need to. Every single time I've given something meaningful it always comes back to me in one way or another. The return is not my motivation but it's definitely my blessing. 

Agree with you - we’ll said. 

57 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

No, I don’t think it is paranoia at all. It is unfortunate for sure, but it is realistic.  I guess you can call me paranoid if you’d like, but I’d just reply your naive if you think all people are altruistic and pure in motive.  

4 hours ago, AUFriction said:

MODS! This thread is getting political!

Yes, apologies for my part. It's distracted driving, I need sports and the replay of games from the past doesn't do it for me. Overcoming and recovery from this will take everyone. We all take things for granted and then when we lose the simple freedoms we go from enjoying a basketball tournament to a different kind of March Madness that we are living each day. If the world wants to get through this sooner than later we will all have to take it seriously and take the steps needed. It's uncomfortable to break habits but it's a lot easier if we all make the conscious choice to do so. This is a pay now or pay later situation as it stands. As with most things paying up front is so much cheaper. Hopefully we have football and all the other enjoyments we would like but it will take serious effort by everyone. 

Personally I would not see it affect the football season.  In speaking with one of my clients who is an anesthesiologist, and my lady friend, who is an ICU nurse currently working with the COVID-19 patients needing respirators, they independently think the peak will be behind us by August.  Now, they also said the virus will still be alive and well all year though.  This may cause a drop in attendance at games but I do not think it will stop them.

Just as some friendly advice to the Auburn Family that is completely unrelated as I get asked this a lot with my profession almost every single day:  Do NOT pull out any of your investments at this time.  Even if we are headed into a recession (that was are severely overdue for and that is a good thing), you do not want to touch any of it in your accounts.  Not to mention if you are not 59 1/2 or older you get hit with a 10% penalty.  I give the analogy to clients all of the time:  It is like some taking air out of your tires when it is really cold outside.  You actually took out a lot more air than you think when it warms up as the molecules were condensed when cold.  In fact, our firm is investing a good portion of our clients' cash positions that are over 3%.  👍

The economy will be so toast by May that football won't even be a thought. Providing for your families will be.

Don't take this lightly- we're in this for 6-8 more months at least until a vaccine or treatments can be found. As long as the virus is alive we can't go back to normal and it can't be killed at the moment.

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

The economy will be so toast by May that football won't even be a thought. Providing for your families will be.

Don't take this lightly- we're in this for 6-8 more months at least until a vaccine or treatments can be found. As long as the virus is alive we can't go back to normal and it can't be killed at the moment.

Excellent point.  Even if one believes "our" reactions are just media generated hysteria, the fact that the US & world economies are in a danger zone should at least be taken seriously.  Even if you're one of the immortal ones, we ALL are affected by an economic disaster, regardless of where the blame for it may lie.

Guest lurtz
14 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

There is no outlet for us to escape and get away from the crappines of the world. Especially now that it's worse than ever.

Not so fast my friend!   Check out this website https://www.humanprogress.org/index , it may cheer you up.

The mission of HumanProgress.org is to collect articles from a great variety of mainstream sources which demonstrate empirically that life is getting better for most people, almost everywhere.

Links to lots of great articles (not all of which are free unfortunately) about advances in science, technology, medicine, and education.  And some really good free original content as well.

There are several articles linked on today's front page about the race to create a covid-19 vaccine. A Boston biotech firm has a candidate vaccine set to enter human trials imminently according to the Guardian: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/when-will-a-coronavirus-vaccine-be-ready

See for yourself! :yes:

8 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Personally I would not see it affect the football season.  In speaking with one of my clients who is an anesthesiologist, and my lady friend, who is an ICU nurse currently working with the COVID-19 patients needing respirators, they independently think the peak will be behind us by August.  Now, they also said the virus will still be alive and well all year though.  This may cause a drop in attendance at games but I do not think it will stop them.

TBH I think if we do get football season it may cause it to be shortened

a doc on inside edition this A.M.  said things could possibly be settled down a bit by mid-may if everyone does their part in taking precautions during the quarantine/lockdown

I’d be okay with them playing on schedule if it required no fans and only essential personnel. I’m going to just put it down, our students aren’t very hygienic. And there’s a ton of Alabamians that aren’t very hygienic. There doesn’t need to be 87K of us together, shoulder to shoulder, until there is a vaccine to this thing 

2 hours ago, KnightTiger said:

a doc on inside edition this A.M.  said things could possibly be settled down a bit by mid-may if everyone does their part in taking precautions during the quarantine/lockdown

And you watch....  If the situation (in the US, at least) ends relatively quickly BECAUSE of the precautions, of those who actually care, and the retail, industrial, entertainment & gov't shutdowns and you'll hear a lot of "see, it was no big deal" by the immortals.

...sorta like how they like to compare this to the H1N1 flu and the millions affected and thousands who died (and how it was all chill during that situation) but completely overlook the fact that those numbers were over a year+ period of time vs the few weeks covid has been in the US so far.

Curious to know how many cases & deaths occurred in the US the first few weeks of H1N1 vs the numbers after the same number of weeks today...

1 hour ago, AUsince72 said:

Curious to know how many cases & deaths occurred in the US the first 2-3 weeks of H1N1 vs the numbers after 2-3 weeks today...

It can be hard to compare COVID-19 and H1N1.  We have seen an H1N1 outbreak happen twice in a century so it is a virus that has been known.  The coronavirus is also a virus that has been around, but not this variation.  The majority of deaths (if not all) with this virus are people whose immune systems were compromised.  Both deaths in Georgia were from people who had compromised systems.

I am in the camp that is not panicking (our office is still open for now).  I guess you could call it cautiously optimistic.  Taking the outbreak very seriously, but not panicking.

Here is a chart I think everyone could benefit from for their knowledge:

History-of-Pandemics-Deadliest-3.jpg

1 hour ago, abw0004 said:

It can be hard to compare COVID-19 and H1N1.  We have seen an H1N1 outbreak happen twice in a century so it is a virus that has been known.  The coronavirus is also a virus that has been around, but not this variation.  The majority of deaths (if not all) with this virus are people whose immune systems were compromised.  Both deaths in Georgia were from people who had compromised systems.

I am in the camp that is not panicking (our office is still open for now).  I guess you could call it cautiously optimistic.  Taking the outbreak very seriously, but not panicking.

Here is a chart I think everyone could benefit from for their knowledge:

Yeah, I've looked to find the comparable numbers between the viruses (bird, swine, Ebola, covid) in the first few weeks of being confirmed in the US....instead of comparing months/years' worth of numbers.... vs the few weeks covid's been confirmed here (no luck so far), for apples to apples comparisons.

Also, keeping an eye on Italy as northern Italy is not exactly a 3rd world country but they are getting HAMMERED by this virus and I'd say anyone who thinks it's a joke should just look at Italy as a cautionary tale.  They had 475 deaths....just yesterday.

9 hours ago, abw0004 said:

Just as some friendly advice to the Auburn Family that is completely unrelated as I get asked this a lot with my profession almost every single day:  Do NOT pull out any of your investments at this time.  Even if we are headed into a recession (that was are severely overdue for and that is a good thing), you do not want to touch any of it in your accounts.  Not to mention if you are not 59 1/2 or older you get hit with a 10% penalty.  I give the analogy to clients all of the time:  It is like some taking air out of your tires when it is really cold outside.  You actually took out a lot more air than you think when it warms up as the molecules were condensed when cold.  In fact, our firm is investing a good portion of our clients' cash positions that are over 3%.  👍

Hey we need a Financial Forum. I would love that.

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I’d be okay with them playing on schedule if it required no fans and only essential personnel. I’m going to just put it down, our students aren’t very hygienic. And there’s a ton of Alabamians that aren’t very hygienic. There doesn’t need to be 87K of us together, shoulder to shoulder, until there is a vaccine to this thing 

What about the players/coaches? Look at what's happening in the NBA.

31 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Hey we need a Financial Forum. I would love that.

I would be more than happy to start a thread with a Q&A with myself and anyone else in the financial industry answering questions you guys have.  I will leave it up to the mods if they think that is a good idea or not.

I have learned a lot of people who are not financial literate are too embarrassed to ask so they never do and put themselves in a hole.  I hope people know by now I am not one to judge and enjoy helping those that need help.  That’s how I got started with my own practice before it was bought my my current firm: helping people get out of debt.

If the mods don’t want a thread, any and all are welcome to send me a PM with questions.  I welcome it to anyone in the Auburn Family!  Seriously. 

It's been a wild ride the last few weeks on the COVID response. I feel like I should do an AMA thread on the outbreak - I'm anonymous enough here I'd probably not get in trouble.

Whether or not I do so: take this seriously. I think the seriousness is finally sinking in with people, but I don't think the public has a good grasp of how long this is going to be until it gets back to normal.

On 3/18/2020 at 5:48 PM, Auctoritas said:

I don't think the public has a good grasp of how long this is going to be until it gets back to normal.

Because no one knows the contagion rate (or even specifically how it's transmitted), the death rate, if it will dissipate in warm weather as the flu does, if herd immunity will occur over time, when a vaccine will be available, if antiviral drugs currently are effective, if effective antiviral drugs will be quickly developed, etc.  It's all speculation based on the minuscule amount of evidence we have and you can't trust about 90% of what the Chinese report. Chill with the panic mindset and take prudent precautions.

It will be interesting to see if these extreme measures end up harming more people (by crushing the economy, reducing medical care for other conditions, etc) than it ends up saving from the coronavirus aka CoVid 19.

Long read, but I'll link it anyway for the curious and those looking for an objective look at data.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/a-fiasco-in-the-making-as-the-coronavirus-pandemic-takes-hold-we-are-making-decisions-without-reliable-data/

2 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

What about the players/coaches? Look at what's happening in the NBA.

Im putting this in scenario in a world 6 months down the line where it's largely gone out of America, we just dont have a vaccine. Assuming we tightened up airplane travel, had way better airport checks than we do/did, we shouldn't get it back, I THINK. thats not a certainty but just a thought.

But while typing this out Ill certainly admit its a yuge stretch. IDK if they made an ebola vaccine or a H1N1 vaccine (which I think they did and would be a way better comparison), but we're not going back to "normal" global living until that's here. Bc whatever intermediary from the wet markets that gave it to humans (some say it was pig), they could still be passing it around even right now

2 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I would be more than happy to start a thread with a Q&A with myself and anyone else in the financial industry answering questions you guys have.  I will leave it up to the mods if they think that is a good idea or not.

I have learned a lot of people who are not financial literate are too embarrassed to ask so they never do and put themselves in a hole.  I hope people know by now I am not one to judge and enjoy helping those that need help.  That’s how I got started with my own practice before it was bought my my current firm: helping people get out of debt.

If the mods don’t want a thread, any and all are welcome to send me a PM with questions.  I welcome it to anyone in the Auburn Family!  Seriously. 

Mods are you listening?

Archived