Trump calls for delay to November election

McLoofus

He's made it official. Please, Trump supporters, you have to do the right thing. Please. 

Donald Trump has called for November's presidential election to be postponed, saying increased postal voting could lead to fraud and inaccurate results.

He suggested a delay until people can "properly, securely and safely" vote.

There is little evidence to support Mr Trump's claims but he has long railed against mail-in voting which he has said would be susceptible to fraud

US states want to make postal voting easier due to public health concerns over the coronavirus pandemic.

In a tweet, Mr Trump said "universal mail-in voting" would make November's vote the "most inaccurate and fraudulent election in history" and a "great embarrassment to the USA".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53597975?fbclid=IwAR3ZkntX4OhGyWYkUD5gJnAUnKdgw8G3ch6DZ43C3Ub8BsLOkHbnpVMJT5c

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

He's made it official. Please, Trump supporters, you have to do the right thing. Please. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53597975?fbclid=IwAR3ZkntX4OhGyWYkUD5gJnAUnKdgw8G3ch6DZ43C3Ub8BsLOkHbnpVMJT5c

we're doomed hardy we will never make it...........remember that old cartoon?

That was hardly a "call" for a change. For the record, us Trump supporters can't get to election day fast enough.  None of us wants to delay the election at all.  My guess is that when it gets close to November, and Biden is exposed as the blithering idiot that you all know that he is, democrats will be begging for a delay, in the interest of FAIRNESS, so they can replace him with a sane person. 

15 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

That was hardly a "call" for a change. For the record, us Trump supporters can't get to election day fast enough.  None of us wants to delay the election at all.  My guess is that when it gets close to November, and Biden is exposed as the blithering idiot that you all know that he is, democrats will be begging for a delay, in the interest of FAIRNESS, so they can replace him with a sane person. 

Want to wager a six pack of your beer of choice on it?  I'm not a gambling man generally speaking, but I'll put a friendly $20 on the line that Biden wins in November.  It'll probably tighten up some from where it is now, but Trump isn't winning.

Given that Trump is 74 and Biden is 77, I'll put a stipulation in that the bet is off if either candidate dies.

15 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

For the record, us Trump supporters can't get to election day fast enough. 

You cool with everyone voting next week?  Cause I would LOVE that.

1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

Want to wager a six pack of your beer of choice on it?  I'm not a gambling man generally speaking, but I'll put a friendly $20 on the line that Biden wins in November.  It'll probably tighten up some from where it is now, but Trump isn't winning.

Suburbs.  Suburbs.  Suburbs.  I keep saying it and people don't want to hear it.  The election will be decided by the suburbs and right now, Trump is doing terribly in those areas.  He knows it too based on his direct appeal to the suburbs the other day.

10 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Suburbs.  Suburbs.  Suburbs.  I keep saying it and people don't want to hear it.  The election will be decided by the suburbs and right now, Trump is doing terribly in those areas.  He knows it too based on his direct appeal to the suburbs the other day.

I agree.  And while I'm with jj3jordan on it not exactly being a "call" to delay the election, he's definitely floating it out there because he's worried.  He knows he can't actually delay the election.  But it'll rile up the libs which gets his base frothing at the mouth cheering him on.  And it serves to seed the eventual argument of the election being "stolen" if it plays out like the polling suggests right now.  Because if the last four years have taught us anything, it's that the man almost never simply admits he was wrong about something or that he got beat.  The normal go-to's are to act like it didn't happen or to deflect blame and make excuses.  This is no different.

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I agree.  And while I'm with jj3jordan on it not exactly being a "call" to delay the election, he's definitely floating it out there because he's worried.  He knows he can't actually delay the election.  But it'll rile up the libs which gets his base frothing at the mouth cheering him on.  And it serves to seed the eventual argument of the election being "stolen" if it plays out like the polling suggests right now.  Because if the last four years have taught us anything, it's that the man almost never simply admits he was wrong about something or that he got beat.  The normal go-to's are to act like it didn't happen or to deflect blame and make excuses.  This is no different.

He laid the groundwork for a "rigged" election four years ago and people ate it up.  But when he won, magically, the election wasn't "rigged" anymore.  Funny how that works.

42 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I thought about you when I read that he'd promised the suburbs that poor POC won't move out and burn them down. 

As for "call" vs "float", the question marks at the end might provide plausible deniability from a legal standpoint but not a practical one. 

Hell, delay it until Jan. 19 for all I care.

Even if Congress voted to delay the general election, the electoral college is still required to elect a president under federal law. If for some reason that didn’t happen, Trump and Vice President Pence would still be required to leave office by noon on Jan. 20. With no successor, the speaker of the House of Representatives, currently Pelosi, would be next in line.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-floats-idea-of-delaying-the-november-election-as-he-ramps-up-attacks-on-voting-by-mail/2020/07/30/15fe7ac6-d264-11ea-9038-af089b63ac21_story.html

This was a stupid thing for Trump to do - it just calls more attention to the fact he's going to try to steal the election one way or the other.

States need to be getting their administrative act together like, yesterday.

I read somewhere that 30 million mail-in votes are expected.  It will take time to tabulate those. One of the things that bothers me is the potential for violence in the weeks following election day.  There's no doubt in my mind that Trump and/or his supporters will be fomenting it. 

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I thought about you when I read that he'd promised the suburbs that poor POC won't move out and burn them down. 

As for "call" vs "float", the question marks at the end might provide plausible deniability from a legal standpoint but not a practical one. 

I live in the fastest growing suburb in America.  It also happens to be in a traditionally red state.  I'm surrounded by other suburbs.  People who live these suburbs are pretty highly educated, have household incomes easily over $80k+ (usually 6 figures), and I'm telling you, the distaste for Trump is palpable.

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I live in the fastest growing suburb in America.  It also happens to be in a traditionally red state.  I'm surrounded by other suburbs.  The distaste for Trump is palpable.

That's good to hear. Evidently the Atlanta suburbs are also growing weary. Although I think they might've actually gone blue in 2016, too. 

The Lowcountry is still on fire with stupidity. Mostly wealthy retirees that live behind gates and really, truly don't encounter anything other than golf courses, beaches, Fox news and each other. 

7 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'm absolutely not for delaying the election. I do believe mail in voting is likely to increase fraud though. 

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

He laid the groundwork for a "rigged" election four years ago and people ate it up.  But when he won, magically, the election wasn't "rigged" anymore.  Funny how that works.

Very ironic isn't it.  Hillary blasted him because he never said he would automatically accept the results if he thought the election was rigged (not that it mattered whether he accepted it or not).  Then went she lost; the election was suddenly rigged by the Russians according to her.  

1 minute ago, SocialCircle said:

Very ironic isn't it.  Hillary blasted him because he never said he would automatically accept the results if he thought the election was rigged (not that it mattered whether he accepted it or not).  Then went she lost; the election was suddenly rigged by the Russians according to her.  

She never once contested the results.  Literally have a concession speech the day after the election.

And the intelligence community plus a Republican led U.S. Senate has stated on multiple occasions that Russia did disseminate misinformation in an attempt to help Trump.

However, it was ultimately Comey and her supreme unpopularity that did her in.

2 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

She never once contested the results.  Literally have a concession speech the day after the election.

And the intelligence community plus a Republican led U.S. Senate has stated on multiple occasions that Russia did disseminate misinformation in an attempt to help Trump.

However, it was ultimately Comey and her supreme unpopularity that did her in.

Hillary even today claims the election was stolen from her by the Russians. I would suggest to you her lack of work ethic during the campaign cost her the election more than anything. She took too many states for granted. 

4 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Given that Trump is 74 and Biden is 77, I'll put a stipulation in that the bet is off if either candidate dies.

I have a dream: During the debates, a meteor strikes whatever stage in, whatever town they agree to debate in,  killing everyone on stage: Trump & Biden. 

A man can dream though | Futurama | Know Your Meme

3 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

I would suggest to you her lack of work ethic during the campaign cost her the election more than anything. She took too many states for granted. 

This I agree with mostly, though it wasn't a lack of work ethic.  She put her efforts in the wrong places, spending too much time in places like Arizona and Nevada that were likely to go Republican and not shoring up support in the Midwest.

By all accounts, Biden is not making the same mistake.

Just now, DKW 86 said:

I have a dream: During the debates, a meteor strikes whatever stage in, whatever town they agree to debate in,  killing everyone on stage: Trump & Biden. 

A man can dream though | Futurama | Know Your Meme

Hey man, we only get one meteor.  Bama and UGA play each other this year.  Use that thing wisely.

Isn't Biden planning to reconfigure the makeup of the suburbs with regulated ratios of certain people allowed to move into them?  I believe that just might dampen support for him with the affluent suburbs in and around medium to large cities. Anybody else heard of this?

23 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

This I agree with mostly, though it wasn't a lack of work ethic.  She put her efforts in the wrong places, spending too much time in places like Arizona and Nevada that were likely to go Republican and not shoring up support in the Midwest.

By all accounts, Biden is not making the same mistake.

Things can change but right now I think Biden will win. I think this election has very little to do with Biden actually and is all about Trump. I think Trump would have likely won had we not had this virus. 

27 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Isn't Biden planning to reconfigure the makeup of the suburbs with regulated ratios of certain people allowed to move into them?  I believe that just might dampen support for him with the affluent suburbs in and around medium to large cities. Anybody else heard of this?

Ummm, no.  There was a law passed several years ago regarding fair housing practices.  There's no regulated ratios though.

22 minutes ago, SocialCircle said:

Things can change but right now I think Biden will win. I think this election has very little to do with Biden actually and is all about Trump. I think Trump would have likely won had we not had this virus. 

Agree about it being all about Trump.  But even pre-pandemic, I'm not sure Trump wins.  The midterm revolt of the suburbs in 2018 spoke volumes.  I do think the pandemic has put more states into play though.

1 hour ago, jj3jordan said:

Where do you find this stuff?  Is it your own creative work or should we credit someone else?

8 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

it's that the man almost never simply admits he was wrong about something or that he got beat.  

Noticed the same and of course I am an accused "trumpbot". Agree that this is "hardly a call to delay". With that said no way I can agree with the "mail in voting".

Archived