2021 Recruiting Board (Finished 5/19/21)

Zeek

20 minutes ago, auol72 said:

For you guys that know if this was a normal year and those three spots were filled with High School recruits, just say two more high 3* guys and one low 4* guy where would we sit in the composite if we are at no.20 now with our transfers and Chapman not counting at all in our composite score?

@auol72 Using Zeek’s scenario above we would be 18th.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

@ellitor have you heard of any Olineman we’re looking at in the portal? I figured we were gonna take one more 

After spring practice when more transfers will announce 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

@ellitor have you heard of any Olineman we’re looking at in the portal? I figured we were gonna take one more 

@AuburnTiger4Life No & not really expecting to until after Spring ball when the portal will hit its peak. Plan is to get 2 more last I saw.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Tennessee releases four-star DT KaTron Evans from National Letter of Intent

BySAM MARSDALE 23 hours ago 

Share0 Comments

Tennessee had a highly-ranked signee officially part ways with the program on Wednesday afternoon. Four-star defensive tackle KaTron Evans was officially released from his National Letter of Intent, according to 247Sports director of recruiting Steve Wiltfong and GoVols247. Evans becomes the fourth Tennessee signee to be released from his LOI since the program's transition from Jeremy Pruitt to Josh Heupel in January.

Evans, a 6-foot-4, 320-pound interior defensive lineman out of Baltimore (Md.) St. Frances Academy, joins a list of highly-touted recruits to do so. Four-star defensive end/linebacker Dylan Brooks of Roanoke, Ala., four-star running back Cody Brown of Lilburn, Ga., and offensive lineman J'Marion Gooch of Gallatin, Tenn., also have parted ways with Tennessee since February. 

Evans has been the highest-ranked defensive lineman in the Vols' 2021 recruiting class since announcing his commitment to them almost a year ago. He never showed any signs of second-guessing his choice, and he signed with Tennessee in December on the first day of the Early Signing Period.

He was ranked the No. 196 overall prospect and No. 17 defensive tackle in the 2021 class and the No. 9 senior from the state of Maryland, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

A Norfolk, Va., native who transferred to St. Frances during his high school career, Evans named a top eight in April 2020 that also included Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, USC, TCU and Arizona State before announcing his commitment to the Vols on May 9. His decision came during Tennessee’s nearly month long commitment spree under Pruitt's staff that started almost a year ago, a run during which the Vols added 14 commitments and climbed to No. 2 nationally in the 247Sports Composite team rankings.

At the time of his commitment, Evans told 247Sports' Northeast region recruiting analyst Brian Dohn that "the culture and the coaching staff" were major factors in his choice. He made two trips to Tennessee's campus after getting his first SEC scholarship offer in March 2018 from the Vols, most recently traveling to Knoxville in June 2019.

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

“Thick, strong build. Can play at 300 pounds,” Dohn wrote of Evans in his player evaluation in February 2020. ‘Explosive and physical. Gets off at snap well. Uses power to overwhelm blockers. Can handle double teams and be disruptive. Strong at point of attack. Quick hands and disengages well. Re-directs down line of scrimmage well against run. Bends at the waist and needs to bend more at knees and keep flat back. Improved pad level at point of attack a must. Needs to improve lateral movement. Adding flexibility is important. Multi-year starter at Top 20 program.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Share0 Comments

Tennessee had a highly-ranked signee officially part ways with the program on Wednesday afternoon. Four-star defensive tackle KaTron Evans was officially released from his National Letter of Intent, according to 247Sports director of recruiting Steve Wiltfong and GoVols247. Evans becomes the fourth Tennessee signee to be released from his LOI since the program's transition from Jeremy Pruitt to Josh Heupel in January.

Evans, a 6-foot-4, 320-pound interior defensive lineman out of Baltimore (Md.) St. Frances Academy, joins a list of highly-touted recruits to do so. Four-star defensive end/linebacker Dylan Brooks of Roanoke, Ala., four-star running back Cody Brown of Lilburn, Ga., and offensive lineman J'Marion Gooch of Gallatin, Tenn., also have parted ways with Tennessee since February. 

Evans has been the highest-ranked defensive lineman in the Vols' 2021 recruiting class since announcing his commitment to them almost a year ago. He never showed any signs of second-guessing his choice, and he signed with Tennessee in December on the first day of the Early Signing Period.

He was ranked the No. 196 overall prospect and No. 17 defensive tackle in the 2021 class and the No. 9 senior from the state of Maryland, according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite.

A Norfolk, Va., native who transferred to St. Frances during his high school career, Evans named a top eight in April 2020 that also included Auburn, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, USC, TCU and Arizona State before announcing his commitment to the Vols on May 9. His decision came during Tennessee’s nearly month long commitment spree under Pruitt's staff that started almost a year ago, a run during which the Vols added 14 commitments and climbed to No. 2 nationally in the 247Sports Composite team rankings.

At the time of his commitment, Evans told 247Sports' Northeast region recruiting analyst Brian Dohn that "the culture and the coaching staff" were major factors in his choice. He made two trips to Tennessee's campus after getting his first SEC scholarship offer in March 2018 from the Vols, most recently traveling to Knoxville in June 2019.

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

“Thick, strong build. Can play at 300 pounds,” Dohn wrote of Evans in his player evaluation in February 2020. ‘Explosive and physical. Gets off at snap well. Uses power to overwhelm blockers. Can handle double teams and be disruptive. Strong at point of attack. Quick hands and disengages well. Re-directs down line of scrimmage well against run. Bends at the waist and needs to bend more at knees and keep flat back. Improved pad level at point of attack a must. Needs to improve lateral movement. Adding flexibility is important. Multi-year starter at Top 20 program.”

We could definitely use another true DT

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toddc said:

Eason would love to get his hands on this guy. Could be the perfect coach for Evans.  Thanks Todd

• Like 2

On 9/18/2020 at 1:12 PM, Zeek said:

The plan now is to fill all 25 spots and add some transfers that will count against the 2022 class as well.

Here are our current commits/signees:

Quarterback

• 4* Dematrius Davis | 6'0" 200 lbs. | Houston, TX | #219 Nationally
    • Listed as 5'10.5" on 246 but 6'0" on Auburn's roster so I went with AU's listing

Running Back

• 3* Jarquez Hunter | 5'10" 190 lbs. | Philadelphia, MS | #707 Nationally

Wide Receiver

• 3* Hal Presley | 6'3" 190 lbs. | Arlington, TX | #380 Nationally
  • 3* Tar'varish Dawson | 5'10" 175 lbs. | Lehigh Acres, FL | #375 Nationally
    • It is worth noting Dawson is listed as an athlete and could play either DB or WR but our staff views him as a slot-receiver

Tight End

• 3* Landen King | 6'5" 220 lbs. | Humble, TX | #590 Nationally
    • Really is built like a large WR but has been adding mass according to beat writers

Offensive Tackle

• 3* Garner Langlo | 6'7" 270 lbs. | Ocala, FL | #631 Nationally
    • 247 has him listed as an OG but at 6'7" I'd be absolutely amazed if he's not slid outside. You don't see a lot of guards that tall.
  • 3* Colby Smith | 6'7" 315 lbs. | West End, NC | #622 Nationally

Offensive Guard

• None currently

Center

• None currently

Defensive Tackle

• 4* Lee Hunter | 6'5" 292 lbs. | Eight Mile, AL | #76 Nationally
  • 4* Marquis Robinson | 6'3" 300 lbs. | Milton, FL | #326 Nationally
  • 3* Ian Matthews | 6'5" 290 lbs. | Columbus, GA | #671 Nationally
  • Former 3* Tony Fair | 6'3" 255 lbs. | transferring from UAB | has one year remaining to play

Defensive End / Edge

• 4* Dylan Brooks | 6'5" 250 lbs. | Roanoke, AL | #76 Nationally
  • 3* Tobechi Okoli | 6'5" 255 lbs. | Kansas City, MO | #523 Nationally
  • Former 3* Andrew Leota | 6'3" 220 lbs. | transferring from Northwestern | has three years to play

Linebacker

• Former 3* Joko Willis | 6'3" 215 lbs. | transferring from Independence Community College | has four years to play

Safety

• 4* Ahmari Harvey | 5'11" 171 lbs. | Tallahassee, FL | #211 Nationally
  • 3* Juwon Gaston | 5'11" 187 lbs. | Montgomery, AL | #623 Nationally
  • 3* Cayden Bridges | 6'2" 192 lbs. | Magee, MS | #150 at his position

Cornerback

• Former 4* Dreshun Miller | 6'2" 192 lbs. | transferring from West Virginia | has two years to play though he claims to want to be 1-and-done
  • 3* Armani Diamond | 5'11" 171 lbs | Eight Mile, AL | #116 at his position

Oscar Chapman - counts against this class

Kamal Hadden - he signed with the 2021 class and has transferred but he still counts against our total

We're currently sitting at 22 new players counting against the 2021 class leaving 3 spots remaining in the 2021 class. The plan is to add more transfers than we have spots with some counting against the 2022 class. Below are some of our transfer prospects we're either pursuing, evaluating, or shown interest in pursuing.

• QB | TJ Finley | LSU | 6'6" 250 lbs | 4 years to play I believe
  • QB | Kevin Doyle | Arizona | 6'4" 210 lbs | 3 years to play after redshirting one year, opting out a year, and serving as a backup another year
  • RB | Jordan Ingram | Central Michigan | 6'1" 195 lbs | 4 years to play opted out this season
  • LB | Ke'shun Brown | Texas A&M | 6'1" 230 lbs | 4 years to play after opting out one year and redshirting another
  • DE | Marcus Harris | Kansas | 6'2" 280 lbs | 4 years to play after redshirting and then playing this past season
  • S | Donovan Kaufman | Vanderbilt | 5'10" 197 lbs | 4 years to play after appearing in two games last season
  • S | Bydarrius Knighten | Southeast Missouri State | 6'0" 200 lbs | 1 year to play
  • OG | Dillan Gibbons | Notre Dame | 6'4" 294 lbs | not sure how many years he has left

We are still in the hunt for OTs and a WR but no names have leaked

Rearranged things a little bit and added transfer targets (remember once this class is filled the other transfers will roll over to the 2022 class).

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Rearranged things a little bit and added transfer targets (remember once this class is filled the other transfers will roll over to the 2022 class).

Still disappointing there are no lineman left in that transfer target list. I hope there are more but they just haven't been leaked. I expect most have already been gobbled up, but we have to know we need some depth and if possible an improvement with at least 1 or 2 transfers.

1 minute ago, steeleagle said:

Still disappointing there are no lineman left in that transfer target list. I hope there are more but they just haven't been leaked. I expect most have already been gobbled up, but we have to know we need some depth and if possible an improvement with at least 1 or 2 transfers.

Yeah, I expected to get a bit of a recruiting bump with Coach Will Friend, but it feels like we don't get much of a look with the OL transfers that pop up. I'm feeling a lot better about our transfer portal efforts, but we really need an OT (and maybe a center),  IMHO.

• Like 1

Don’t give up on OL transfers! Auburn has some out there we’re looking at and more names will get “leaked “ out in the near term  I believe.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Keith said that Auburn isn't sharing that information because the battle for those guys is so competitive and they don't want to show their hand. Says there are undoubtedly guys in the works.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, toddc said:

Don’t give up on OL transfers! Auburn has some out there we’re looking at and more names will get “leaked “ out in the near term  I believe.

Hopefully that's the case.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

So the article that was post said differently.  I think i misread it earlier.   It says they don't count to any class.

To qualify for a blueshirt a player must have been “unrecruited” meaning they did not take an official visit to the school, the coaching staff did not visit the player’s home, no National Letter of Intent was signed, and the athlete was given no form of athletic aid. If a player meets those standards then they can be put on scholarship on the first day of practice in August without that scholarship counting against the 25 limit for each recruiting cycle.

18 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

So the article that was post said differently.  I think i misread it earlier.   It says they don't count to any class.

I'm not sure of the wording. I just know we plan on using 2022 spots on transfers per Keith lol.

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'm not sure of the wording. I just know we plan on using 2022 spots on transfers per Keith lol.

Yeah, it's interesting.  Might have been a bad article, but I've seen it both ways too

32 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Did you mean to post this in the '21 thread?

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Did you mean to post this in the '21 thread?

I did lol should be a transfer counting towards this class.

Edited by Zeek

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I did lol should be a transfer counting towards this class.

smh, we've got a portal thread for that.

I wasn't sure if it was possibly a '22 commit

• Like 1

Lol at people complaining about folks posting stuff for them but not doing it in the thread they wanted

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, fredst said:

Lol at people complaining about folks posting stuff for them but not doing it in the thread they wanted

Had some pretty obvious sarcasm there.  I was trying to figure out if it was a transfer or maybe even a HS recruit.

• Haha 1