Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

3 minutes ago, wcware said:

It’s definitely not what I want but to hear E say that we didn’t even give MC a reasonable offer, I don’t even know what to say 

Since E is best buddies with Greene and sits at the table with the search committee, I am confident he KNOWS everything that has gone on.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AURex said:

Since E is best buddies with Greene and sits at the table with the search committee, I am confident he KNOWS everything that has gone on.

I’m sure he doesn’t know everything but @ellitoris someone I trust on here.

6 minutes ago, AURex said:

Why isn't anyone clamoring for this experienced head coach who surely could be lured to Auburn?

1 National Championship won
1 other appearance in the national championship game
77% winning percentage overall
69% winning record in the SEC
Beat Auburn over and over and over
Beat Bama and UGA

He's only making $2.7 Million, so Auburn could afford him.

And if you don't know who I'm referring to, it's because no one has mentioned him. It's a mystery -- or not?

We don't want Les eating our natural grass.😀

27 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Hope USC waxes Oregon tonight.. that is all

I’ll be pulling for Oregon. I can’t stand USC and the way things turned out with us and Mario has nothing to do on Mario’s end.

9 minutes ago, AURex said:

Why isn't anyone clamoring for this experienced head coach who surely could be lured to Auburn?

1 National Championship won
1 other appearance in the national championship game
77% winning percentage overall
69% winning record in the SEC
Beat Auburn over and over and over
Beat Bama and UGA

He's only making $2.7 Million, so Auburn could afford him.

And if you don't know who I'm referring to, it's because no one has mentioned him. It's a mystery -- or not?

Les Miles? I think his better days are behind him. Just my opinion.

2 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I think we can finally put KS to bed... I’m 90% confident now he won’t be HC. Auburn twitter is undefeated 

I wish that were the case but his Candidacy is very much alive.

I love an Auburn coaching search. From exciting to frustrating to soul-crushingly pathetic to sublimely ridiculous in the course of 5 days. Few things on this Earth can match it 😀

12 minutes ago, AURex said:

@AURex what are you getting at? I’m not posting as a know it all. I’m just passing on from other people who are connected to what’s been going on as best I can.

I would be ok with a Sark hire. There is really only one reason I don’t want him to come here, and it doesn’t have anything to do with him, his coaching abilities, his recruiting ability, or anything really even relevant to his qualifications. It has to do with the classless portion of our fan base. The moment he under performs, even for just one game, the boo birds will come out and start making jokes about his alcoholism. That not even remotely something to joke about and makes make sick that we have “fans” that will jump on the opportunity. Go check out Twitter. Just the mention of him interviewing has already brought out more classless comments than I even care to count from the Auburn “family”.

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Don’t believe it 

You can choose not to. I don’t like it either but the only info that panned out so far is pointing to that direction. For example. Most people I’ve seen connected are saying his chances are still at 50% or better.

4 minutes ago, VegasEagle said:

I don't understand why we can't offer MC $6.5 to $7 million.  Are they saying he would so no to that now?

No. We’ve just never been on the same page as a group to make that offer official and for Mario to feel like it was a real offer.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

You can choose not to. I don’t like it either but the only info that panned out so far is pointing to that direction. For example. Most people I’ve seen connected are saying his chances are still at 50% or better.

They’ve seen the stop Steele movement, and they wouldn’t be interviewing Sark to just hire Steele. 

1 hour ago, tsande07 said:

If Greene can walk the tightrope to 1) pull in a quality hire, 2) keep booster money flowing in, and 3) set the stage for the boosters to be less directly involved in hiring/firing decisions going forward, then his could be an incredible legacy in the making.

Reminds me of what Don Meredith used to say.

48 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Can’t go into that unfortunately.

As a public university, minutes from the advisory committee meetings should be subject to FOIA correct?

4 minutes ago, VegasEagle said:

I don't understand why we can't offer MC $6.5 to $7 million.  Are they saying he would so no to that now?

The way I see it:

If you're making $50,000/year salary and you get an offer for $1 million/year, you would likely do whatever it takes to bend over backwards to take that job, because it would be literally life changing money. 

If you're already making $4 million/year then although an increase of 2-3 million per year would be significant, you certainly wouldn't be as motivated to do things or make moves you might not necessarily want to do as you are likely already living a very comfortable lifestyle and the extra money wouldn't have near the same impact on your life.

I'm just throwing crap out there. I have no idea if or why MC would or wouldn't want the AU job, but if he likes it in Eugene, I can see 'more money' not necessarily being the 'be all end all' of the discussion for him or his family. 

3 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

They’ve seen the stop Steele movement, and they wouldn’t be interviewing Sark to just hire Steele. 

I've seen some pretty decent candidates "interviewed" at Auburn before a head scratcher hire. 

2 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

The way I see it:

If you're making $50,000/year salary and you get an offer for $1 million/year, you would likely do whatever it takes to bend over backwards to take that job, because it would be literally life changing money. 

If you're already making $4 million/year then although an increase of 2-3 million per year would be significant, you certainly wouldn't be as motivated to do things or make moves you might not necessarily want to do as you are likely already living a very comfortable lifestyle and the extra money wouldn't have near the same impact on your life.

I'm just throwing crap out there. I have no idea if or why MC would or wouldn't want the AU job, but if he likes it in Eugene, I can see 'more money' not necessarily being the 'be all end all' of the discussion for him or his family. 

Ever been to Eugene? I would take a lateral transfer.

Archived