Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

13 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Gundy? Not that turd! Oh fml man. I gotta find a new college team to root for. 

He's a man!!

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

My source said there were a lot of players who were going to transfer. Said a lot of our players were upset about firing Gus.

If only there was something the players could have done this year to help save his job. 

2 minutes ago, shabby said:

Thank you for not tolerating mediocrity with Gus while embracing it with Cristobal

Cristobal hasn't been announced as the coach yet, and even if/when he is, he still will have to coach at Auburn before I could embrace mediocrity with him. Nice try though. Who is it you think we should go after, again?

2 minutes ago, atl-tiger said:

I have noticed a lot of current and former players not liking Gus getting fired on Instagram. Some of them replying to fans that are saying gus sucks etc. 

Recent players. Players that don't have or never had the attitude instilled by coaches like Dye or Whitt

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Which is intriguing considering his follows are pretty much other coaches and recruits.

It's happening Mav! Tell me it's happening right now!!

16 minutes ago, Auburn Tiger said:

Update from my source (the one who told me on Friday that Gus was definitely let go): Oregon ponied up to retain Cristobal, so he's apparently a not coming to Auburn. Our folks don't want the baggage that comes with Freeze, so they're passing on him. They were seriously considering Chip Lindsey, but he's apparently going through some personal issues, so they are passing on him. Our folks were also considering Steve Sarkisian, but they're apparently passing on him as well. Lane Kiffin is under consideration and so is Mike Gundy.

Long story short, my source says that there is no real direction, and there isn't anyone already in place. Source says that this is shaping up to possibly be a bit of a mess.

Side note, my source also said that Gouge and Greene both wanted to keep Gus, but the donors flat out told them they would not contribute another dime until Gus was gone. Basically ham-stringed the president and AD to get rid of Gus.

Source also said a coach from ND is going to Vandy, so Gus is not. Said Gus is now considering Arizona State.

Bro no offense but you said Gus was getting fired after Ellitor had already broke the news lol. And players probably entering the portal is an easy guess if you look at social media 

58 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Grimes was a good coach the first time around. Go look at our OL recruiting, and the number of players we put in the NFL early in Gus's tenure. When he came back, he was kind of a different person. He shouldn't have hired him back, and at a minimum should've let him go a year earlier. But this wasn't what my comment was about. 

My comment was about recruiting. The person I was responding to said Gus is a poor recruiter, specifically calling out 3 positions. I was showing that we had recruited 2 of those pretty well, and that Gus had made a move to improve the recruiting of the third one. 

This goes back to what I've said several times on here. Recruiting was not the main issue. To some extent, we had a development problem. But mostly, it was game preparation. Our guys showed up too many times unprepared to play, and our game plans going into games were often questionable. 

Recruiting was a bigger problem than most think.  Grimes didn’t like recruiting and Gus knew this and rehired him none of the good OL coaches would give Gus the time of day.  Gus signed good classes on the whole but did a poor job of filling his needs.   As the head man it’s all on Gus!

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

You do know that FIU was on probation, losing 4 scholarships a year, from year 2 until the end of his final season, right?

I could care less. People are using FIU as an indicator that Mario was a winner. He was not. The team got worse the longer he was there and he was fired. 

I am not saying Cristobal can't or wobe a good coach. I am however saying that nothing he did at FIU including the greatest indicator of getting fired shows that he would be. Hell Butch Davis has a significantly better record there. Maybe we should hire him 

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

It's happening Mav! Tell me it's happening right now!!

Noticed, I don’t know it’s his mom, or another relative of Tank, but she’s following Mario and only follows 51 people

I’m wanting Mario to be the next HC, and I see that he follows some AU players on Twitter. My only question is, “how do we know that he just followed them? Couldn’t he have followed them before during their recruitment?” Twitter doesn’t have a way to see when someone follows somebody else that I know of. 

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

Noticed, I don’t know it’s his mom, or another relative of Tank, but she’s following Mario and only follows 51 people

He sat down with momma tank and let her know her baby boy is in good hands and will be winning the heisman. 

2 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

I just went to Bro Hamm's twitter. Cristobal isn't listed as one of his followers. The image might have been faked. 

I just looked, and he was following Bro Hamm 

15 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Sounds like he bought some time to have a team meeting before word got out. 

1 minute ago, gctiger said:

Recruiting was a bigger problem than most think.  Grimes didn’t like recruiting and Gus knew this and rehired him none of the good OL coaches would give Gus the time of day.  Gus signed good classes on the whole but did a poor job of filling his needs.   As the head man it’s all on Gus!

Yeah. I think you missed a good portion of that discussion thread. The person I was debating with kept saying we recruited poorly as a whole. My argument was that the poor recruiting was largely just on the OL. 

Archived