Welcome to the Plains Coach Harsin (Merged)

mdp5150

• Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I swear. 

We could hire Saban away from Bama and some y’all would say “yeah but he lost to Gus.” Or whatever petty **** y’all come up with. 

Just now, murpjf88 said:

That's commendable but I'm tired of mediocre. Can he lead an SEC team to the college football playoffs on a regular basis? Can he compete on the same field with Alabana and Georgia? Can he recruit?

All of your questions would be relevant for everyone mentioned in the carousel. I think the fact he’s willing to break his comfort zone sends a message that he is ready to compete. 

2 minutes ago, Bo Didley said:

All of your questions would be relevant for everyone mentioned in the carousel. I think the fact he’s willing to break his comfort zone sends a message that he is ready to compete. 

Malzahn sent a message too when he left Arky State because he wanted to compete. Eight years later....

Just now, murpjf88 said:

Malzahn sent a message too when he left Arky State because he wanted to compete. Eight years later....

I think you might be missing my point. Gus got his start in the SEC. ARK state was a stepping stone job for him to come back to the SEC. 2010 and cam Newton was his resume. Gus is a southern guy. 

CBH is born,  raised and played for Boise state. He has a proven record outside of the SEC his resume is better than out last 2-3 hires. The fact he is willing to leave his hometown to challenge himself should speak dividends for the character he is bringing to our team. Again he could stay home and be a millionaire but he’s willing to compete outside his comfort zone. 

13 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Your avatar is remarkably relevant.

Not sure why there are as many Debbie-downers about but Harsin might be the most accomplished (and least JABA) head coaching hire ever made. Dude has been a winner everywhere he goes. Are you really gonna sulk because Auburn hired a guy who coached teams to 6 conference title appearances and won 4 (between two different conferences no less)?

He's decent but there were better options on the table. He's only coached two places and he was 7-5 at Arkansas State ( if you're calling that a success) and he lost at least two games in every season for Boise State in a non power five conference. He has a lot to prove.

9 minutes ago, Bo Didley said:

I think you might be missing my point. Gus got his start in the SEC. ARK state was a stepping stone job for him to come back to the SEC. 2010 and cam Newton was his resume. Gus is a southern guy. 

CBH is born,  raised and played for Boise state. He has a proven record outside of the SEC his resume is better than out last 2-3 hires. The fact he is willing to leave his hometown to challenge himself should speak dividends for the character he is bringing to our team. Again he could stay home and be a millionaire but he’s willing to compete outside his comfort zone. 

Tommy Tuberville was underrated imo. He always lost games he shouldn't have but his record against AP top 5 teams were pretty strong and he was ultra competitive against LSU, Georgia and Alabama.

The staff hires will be extremely important for this to have a real chance of being successful.  We not only have to have good coaches for each position group, but we have to have some excellent recruiters.  As many have said, we are going up against "big dogs" for the best recruits.  Some of the hires will have to come from the south, so I see it being a mix and match of current coaches with some that CBH brings in with him.  I can only think of possibly two current coaches that I would like to see stay (TW & maybe CW, although Dell McGee would be great too).  I have my choices in mind for each position group, but let's just see how it plays out.  I am going to cautiously optimistic until the staff gets filled out.

27 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

That's commendable but I'm tired of mediocre. Can he lead an SEC team to the college football playoffs on a regular basis? Can he compete on the same field with Alabana and Georgia? Can he recruit?

Can any of those other guys that were listed 🧐 no one knows but this guy has had more success than any of the others

27 minutes ago, Taco said:

I swear. 

We could hire Saban away from Bama and some y’all would say “yeah but he lost to Gus.” Or whatever petty **** y’all come up with. 

To be fair... Gus did beat Harsin.

5 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Tommy Tuberville was underrated imo. He always lost games he shouldn't have but his record against AP top 5 teams were pretty strong and he was ultra competitive against LSU, Georgia and Alabama.

Let’s be honest TT got bama at their trying to figure it out years. Gus competed with the sec west at its prime! ( no excuse to lose) however, his play calling and management was suspect at best. 

TT seemed to be able to develop talent and that’s something Gus has failed at. That’s a documented failure on gus’s part. 

CBH needs the chance. I think he’s hungrier than anyone we have ever hired. 

10 minutes ago, The Freak said:

To be fair... Gus did beat Harsin.

as well he should.   Auburn vs Ark State!!...  But have you looked at the stats?   the game was more competitive than the score maked it look.  https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=332500002

4 minutes ago, The Freak said:

duh... it was a joke.  I am stoked about this hire.

I know haha. I’m sure somebody else will quote what you said later on. 

Personally, I was a little meh at first. But the more I read up on him the more I’m all for CBH. 

Boise State fans seem to be 50/50 happy and sad about him leaving though which leaves some concerns. But to be fair, he was filling very big shoes, and I think he did a great job of maintaining the program that was built there. But it does seem like their fan base saw him similarly to how we viewed xCGM. Lost games he shouldn’t have. Never lived up to expectations. Etc. 

1 minute ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

as well he should.   Auburn vs Ark State!!...  But have you looked at the stats?   the game was more competitive than the score maked it look.  https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=332500002

I watched this game. It wasn’t that competitive lol. It was Ellis Johnson’s defense that padded up those stats 

3 minutes ago, Taco said:

I watched this game. It wasn’t that competitive lol. It was Ellis Johnson’s defense that padded up those stats 

I think we were mostly scared after 2012 that this would be closer than it was, lol.

3 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

I’ll be honest. I missed watching xCGM running an offense with a Dual Threat QB in the super uptempo offense. 

3 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I think we were mostly scared after 2012 that this would be closer than it was, lol.

Fall of 2012 is a time in my life I wish to never think of again. 

Harsin was 36 years old and Head Coaching his 2nd game of his life ...  vs a better team.  Ellis Johnson or not   his offense gashed us all night.   ASU just couldn't punch it in.   They had  about 5 or 6  trips into the red zone.  3 FG, turn over,  and two (or 3) 4th down stops.

30 minutes ago, Bo Didley said:

CBH needs the chance. I think he’s hungrier than anyone we have ever hired. 

What's with Boise State fans not being too thrilled with him?

https://247sports.com/college/boise-state/board/103542/Contents/harsin-toauburn-157645559/

12 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

Harsin was 36 years old and Head Coaching his 2nd game of his life ...  vs a better team.  Ellis Johnson or not   his offense gashed us all night.   ASU just couldn't punch it in.   They had  about 5 or 6  trips into the red zone.  3 FG, turn over,  and two (or 3) 4th down stops.

Okay. Cool. I get that. 

But you’re talking about a defense that gave up 420.7 yards per game. Ranked 12th in the SEC that year. They had the “bend but not break” mentality. That game was the norm for any team that had an offense. 

Archived