Cha Cha Slide

RunInRed

6 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I have zero issue with this. These were just some guys having some little bit of fun on the sidelines on the bench during a meaningless bowl game in a meaningless season after the head coach they signed under was fired. Some of you folks ought to get a grip.

Having fun on the sidelines is no problem.

Having fun while being down 14-3 is a problem.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Having fun on the sidelines is no problem.

Having fun while being down 14-3 is a problem.

I see. What exactly would you have these college aged young men do? Would it make you happier if they all took out ritual swords and committed sepku? Rip their hair from their heads? Maybe just sobbing openly would be enough?

It was a meaningless game. And here's the thing.  Bowl games are supposed to be a reward for the players. They're supposed to have fun. I'm glad they did. 

I have a GREAT idea! Let’s just slam our own players who have been through the weirdest, most stressful, and most difficult season ever, ending with the firing of the head coach and probably all the rest of them. 🙄 This is a little bit of  stress relief, I imagine.  Let’s see what Harsin does next year, but let it rest for now.  

13 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I have a GREAT idea! Let’s just slam our own players who have been through the weirdest, most stressful, and most difficult season ever, ending with the firing of the head coach and probably all the rest of them. 🙄 This is a little bit of  stress relief, I imagine.  Let’s see what Harsin does next year, but let it rest for now.  

I have a great idea. Let's imagine those guys on a sideline at Clemson, or Ohio State, or UAT. Try hard to imagine. You can't. And whatever culture said this was OK while you're losing big is what BH has to correct. That is all I am saying. NOTHING is the fault of the players. But the players are a product of their environment. I hope that environment changes. For the players sake. 

31 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I see. What exactly would you have these college aged young men do? Would it make you happier if they all took out ritual swords and committed sepku? Rip their hair from their heads? Maybe just sobbing openly would be enough?

It was a meaningless game. And here's the thing.  Bowl games are supposed to be a reward for the players. They're supposed to have fun. I'm glad they did. 

I'm glad they had a good time too considering what they have endured this season. 

Posters on this board have become negative about every aspect of Auburn football and the negativity is completely out of control. Leave the players alone and stop being so mean-spirited and petty about college kids having a moment of fun. These kids are not responsible for whatever fans feel about Gus and the other coaches. The players behaved themselves and worked hard, and they do not deserve to be called out for being what they are.....mostly teenagers....trying to have a good time despite the circumstances. 

33 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

To be honest the seasons where players were murdered were much more stressful and difficult for the teams than missing a few practices because of COVID.    

Some of you werent  around to see it but I remember when Auburn played Ohio State in a bowl game back in the 80's under Pat Dye. We were not playing well and looked very lethargic. (kind of like the Citrus Bowl. Stacy Danley ( if I remember correctly) gets his head knocked off and is laying on the ground. Coach Dye walked across the field and told him to get his A$$ up off the ground and man up. (Paraphrasing from the story I was told by a player as I was at home watching).

The whole team took notice and we ended up beating them. We were in for a long day before that. Just to share the mentality of back in the day.

Life is hard, dont be a wuss when life gets tough. 

51 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

God this is exactly why we needed a change 

11 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

God this is exactly why we needed a change 

I’m glad you think I’m so influential that I control the emotions of the players, 🙄 but honestly, I was just giving my opinion as someone who tends to look more emotionally at things.  I happen to be a mom and a kindergarten teacher, so that’s where my viewpoint comes from.  But hey, I didn’t realize it was bleeding over into the team.  So sorry. 😂

4 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I’m glad you think I’m so influential that I control the emotions of the players, 🙄 but honestly, I was just giving my opinion as someone who tends to look more emotionally at things.  I happen to be a mom and a kindergarten teacher, so that’s where my viewpoint comes from.  But hey, I didn’t realize it was bleeding over into the team.  So sorry. 😂

Im a dad and a coach. My kids (both situations) would know what was coming if I seen this happen. After the game and before the game, sure no problem, lets be loose and enjoy each other but when the whistle blows, everybody has to be laser focused. Even if you are on the bench. Because you may be called up at any moment. Especially in football. 

25 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

Some of you werent  around to see it but I remember when Auburn played Ohio State in a bowl game back in the 80's under Pat Dye. We were not playing well and looked very lethargic. (kind of like the Citrus Bowl. Stacy Danley ( if I remember correctly) gets his head knocked off and is laying on the ground. Coach Dye walked across the field and told him to get his A$$ up off the ground and man up. (Paraphrasing from the story I was told by a player as I was at home watching).

The whole team took notice and we ended up beating them. We were in for a long day before that. Just to share the mentality of back in the day.

I was around. He leaned over and said if you don't get up, we're toast, or something to that effect. Different times.

People aren’t trying to down the players, what people are downing is that specific team Attitude is something we’ve seen over the past several years and it’s a culture problem. Could you imagine players doing that on Alabama or Clemson sidelines? People want hard nosed, physical football and I guarantee you players will have a lot of fun along the way when they are consistently well prepared and winning. That is also way better for these kids careers than losing and roster mismanagement. Let some of these guys show out and get solid starting contacts and make life changing money.

43 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

What I remember was a bit more caring. I heard he told him if he was able to run off the field to stay down until he felt able to do that, which he did. He was down a while.

Some of y'all want the wins but aren't willing to hold the team accountable to the little things necessary to be a championship level squad.  There are most definitely times to have fun, being down 14-3 is not one of them.

Winning demands focus and attention to detail, which part of their bench dancing enhanced either of those? There's a reason we couldn't ever really come from behind, adjust, or take over and put games away the last few years. We have been mentally weak for the last 7+ years. 

And for those that chalk it up to a "meaningless" game, no game is meaningless to a true competitor. Every opportunity you have on the field to enforce your will and dominate another should be taken. Period. If you don't want to or are unable, then go play intramurals.

7 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Some of y'all want the wins but aren't willing to hold the team accountable to the little things necessary to be a championship level squad.  There are most definitely times to have fun, being down 14-3 is not one of them.

Winning demands focus and attention to detail, which part of their bench dancing enhanced either of those? There's a reason we couldn't ever really come from behind, adjust, or take over and put games away the last few years. We have been mentally weak for the last 7+ years. 

And for those that chalk it up to a "meaningless" game, no game is meaningless to a true competitor. Every opportunity you have on the field to enforce your will and dominate another should be taken. Period. If you don't want to or are unable, then go play intramurals.

Im giving you a virtual hug right now Bird. Embrace it...

I’ve heard that a team often takes on the personality of its head coach and I suspect that may have what happened this season.  To me, a loss never appeared to matter much to Gus, and I think that much of the team had the same attitude.  I’ve never seen Bama or any other quality team playing grab azz on the bench when down 14-3. 

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I'd like to see a table of acceptable performative response by score margin. I imagine this is okay with a 28+ point lead, right? What if it was tied? At what point do scowls, tears, towels over head become required because of such a large deficit?

Championship level performance requires these levels of details. So let's see them. That would head off some arguments. Don't just assume everyone understands your beliefs on how sideline behavior results in, or is reflective of, on-field results. You know how that goes.

This so much.

Anyone excusing this behavior has apparently never seriously played a sport, or at least were never as serious about it as I was. I literally despise losing. I remember moving up to Pony league baseball as a young teen. I was drafted onto a team to had won the championship the prior year, but all the best players had moved up to the next older league. Well, we didn't win a single game, but I promise you that if any of my teammates had so much as cracked a smile in the dugout while we were losing they would have been short some teeth. 

This is exactly it. I agree that Gus failed to give the guys toughness.  My husband always says we need “biters”.  I guess my point is that this kind of behavior is to be expected from what these guys have been through and what has been expected of them in the past.  I liked Gus for his leadership in terms of character, but I do think the players became too comfortable with him.  The family atmosphere is a good thing, no doubt, but there needs to be tough live, too.  I wasn’t disagreeing, I just do t think the blame should all be put in the players. 

Yeah, the "meaningless game" got to me also.  It implies that it doesn't require your best effort.

A lackadaisical effort - aka as standing around - is a good way of getting your clock cleaned physically on a football field. It's no way to play the game. 

Remember when our fan base was calling NS a meanie when he would go off on his players and coaching staff up 5 Tds against non power 5 squads ?

20 minutes ago, bobzmuda said:

I'd like to see a table of acceptable performative response by score margin. I imagine this is okay with a 28+ point lead, right? What if it was tied? At what point do scowls, tears, towels over head become required because of such a large deficit?

Championship level performance requires these levels of details. So let's see them. That would head off some arguments. Don't just assume everyone understands your beliefs on how sideline behavior results in, or is reflective of, on-field results. You know how that goes.

If you have to ask...

Archived