Cooper Draft Talk (4/2/21 Update: Enters Draft)

ellitor

21 minutes ago, lutzcammed said:

it bothers me more that at the present time we will not have a point 

@lutzcammed Did you see the Zep Jasper thread?

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

The opportunity to actually accomplish something in college basketball? If money doesn't matter then he should stay. Unless, of course, he hasn't been enjoying college life.

that has been undervalued for decades, in both sports, but esp in basketball. 

5 hours ago, lutzcammed said:

it bothers me more that at the present time we will not have a point than it does him actually leaving.

Eh I would be more bothered about not having him. Even if they get a quote unquote good point guard, the majority of these guys had new, higher ceilings bc of this guy. Some of these guys were specifically recruited, in part, bc of their chemistry with Cooper. He's a really integral piece in the puzzle

now maybe natural development and new pieces can gel fast enough to where that's limited, but I dunno. 

The Cooper/Powell backcourt had the potential to lead AU to another final four as early as next season. Anybody that thinks one or both of these leaving doesn't hurt the program is fooling themselves.

• Like 5

Ugh. So our bball program is back in the cellar...this could be a really dark decade for Auburn athletics, especially when you look across the state.

• Facepalm 4

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Ugh. So our bball program is back in the cellar...this could be a really dark decade for Auburn athletics, especially when you look across the state.

we are a long way from the cellar.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Really? One average season due to us being very young while having one of our best classes coming in and we're in the cellar? Step away from the ledge.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Man your on a roll counting your Barfield post these are two of the dumbest posts I've seen in a while

• Love 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

What are you talking about? Have you not heard we’ve recruited all time highly ranked players at Auburn  in the CBP era. And the highest ranked player ever I think is coming next year in Jabari Smith. This statement is off the charts ridiculous! 😝 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Smh. What happened to make anybody feel like we are so woe is me?

I feel like this is just the way with Auburn fans. They constantly look at what everyone else is doing and expect to always be that good or better. Anyone realistically could have looked at this season and knew that we were going to struggle because of our youth and inexperience. Those same people also knew that Cooper leaving after one year was a pretty likely outcome.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I feel like this is just the way with Auburn fans. They constantly look at what everyone else is doing and expect to always be that good or better. Anyone realistically could have looked at this season and knew that we were going to struggle because of our youth and inexperience. Those same people also knew that Cooper leaving after one year was a pretty likely outcome.

I just don't understand it man

• Like 1

I would expect that maybe Cooper gets told by a team they will pick him up if he falls to them, like Chuma, before he would just stay in draft.  Is Jabari eligible to go pro now?  If Cooper leaves, I hope that doesn't change Jabari decision.  My gosh I feel we will be a final 4 contender if we would keep Cooper and add Jabari. 

Edited by AUBwins
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, toddc said:

What are you talking about? Have you not heard we’ve recruited all time highly ranked players at Auburn  in the CBP era. And the highest ranked player ever I think is coming next year in Jabari Smith. This statement is off the charts ridiculous! 😝 

Even beyond Jabari, JT Thor and Trey Alexander are among our top 15 all time recruits from the rankings era. 

• Like 3

On 3/13/2021 at 12:44 PM, CameronCrazy said:

I don’t understand how someone can be that blind - the kid has so many things he needs to work on. His shot, his defense, finishing at the rim, mid-range shot, floaters, etc. 

Big mistake if he goes pro

。。。 too early.      He will go pro in 2022 anyway

On 3/12/2021 at 10:44 PM, CameronCrazy said:

I don’t understand how someone can be that blind - the kid has so many things he needs to work on. His shot, his defense, finishing at the rim, mid-range shot, floaters, etc. 

Big mistake if he goes pro

It is a mistake if he comes back. And I obviously say that as someone who selfishly wants him to. It would put more tape out there on his weaknesses. He is who he is at this point. He is not going to dramatically improve his 3 point shot in 1 off season. Might as well get paid millions and let a professional organization work on fixing it around the clock without the distractions of class.  And I do not think his defense will ever improve tbh. He is the same build and roughly the same athletic ability as Trae Young and he has not gotten 1% better as a defender and he is in his third season in the NBA. 

He is getting mocked in the middle of the first right now in almost every NBA Mock draft. He needs to take that and run straight to the bank with it.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2

On 3/12/2021 at 11:41 PM, Aubie the Tiger said:

I'm still undecided on if it's best for Cooper to leave.  He has undeveloped parts of his game, but Auburn basketball fans have never understood that you can still be drafted high if NBA teams think that you have potential.  Mid to late first round picks usually don't contribute their first year anyway, so it gives the team some time to develop the player in the manner they see best.

So does Cooper have enough potential to still be drafted pretty high after only one year?  He certainly shows it in his court vision, but he lacks it in physical measurables (height, wingspan, leaping ability, etc.).  I'm currently not optimistic about him developing into a starting-caliber PG; if NBA teams agree with me, I don't think they'll want to use a high pick on an undeveloped player with his ceiling.  

I guess he should stay, but if he goes, I hope he proves me a fool.

Me, @Tiger, @cole256 @fredst and @McLoofus have been screaming from every skyscraper in America about this very issue and annoying AF problem since Auburn started to have guys getting serious looks at in the draft. IT IS SO FRUSTRATING to see about 9039034049034 different posts regurgitating the same talking points every season since Chuma started to get NBA buzz mid way through his freshmen season. Listen I get it. Auburn fans do not NBA and are the least likely college fan base to be NBA fans but it still really overcooks my grits!!!! lmao

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/13/2021 at 3:52 PM, cole256 said:

I'm going to make another handle and start posting and when the thanks for the knowledgeable post come lift the mask joker style and just run off 😂

You wouldn't be the first person on this forum to be using a burner account.

tenor.gif

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Me, @Tiger, @cole256 @fredst and @McLoofus have been screaming from every skyscraper in America about this very issue and annoying AF problem since Auburn started to have guys getting serious looks at in the draft. IT IS SO FRUSTRATING to see about 9039034049034 different posts regurgitating the same talking points every season since Chuma started to get NBA buzz mid way through his freshmen season. Listen I get it. Auburn fans do not NBA and are the least likely college fan base to be NBA fans but it still really overcooks my grits!!!! lmao

I think what you are seeing is what I mentioned to Cole the other day.  Auburn fans historically have not paid much attention to Auburn basketball, which in turn makes college basketball not as much fun.  So, as fans, we are not used to this success and pulling top-level prospects.  With all new things, it will take time to get used to one and done players as we are used to our players staying four or five years.  So what you are saying is correct, but everyone on this forum simply has not been in tune to what you, Cole, and Tiger have been in tune to for years as you three have followed college basketball for years.

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think what you are seeing is what I mentioned to Cole the other day.  Auburn fans historically have not paid much attention to Auburn basketball, which in turn makes college basketball not as much fun.  So, as fans, we are not used to this success and pulling top-level prospects.  With all new things, it will take time to get used to one and done players as we are used to our players staying four or five years.  So what you are saying is correct, but everyone on this forum simply has not been in tune to what you, Cole, and Tiger have been in tune to for years as you three have followed college basketball for years.

I’m one of the people on here that doesn’t watch any b-ball (since the 80’s) but Auburn, and I still know it’s a great thing for our players to go pro at the first chance. It’s great for your program, and it also attracts players who might need to play 2-3 years in a college system like CBP has built before going pro. That’s a system set up  to win a lot of games in the NCAA tournament! Common sense really and doesn’t take a high b-ball IQ to understand it.

Edited by toddc
  • Like 2

He will be a colossal bust in the NBA of epic proportions.  He's not athletic, and his driving ability which is somewhat effective in college will have zero impact in the NBA.  He's an out of this world passer and his court vision is amazing but he has limited athletic ability.  He can barely dunk a basketball.

Any team that takes him high will regret it.

Also, to whoever made that bet with me, its not looking good for you. This team next year will be lucky to be .500.

And it's pretty sad that Oates has already passed us in what, two years.  

We've pooped the bed in the post Final Four run, just like we did after the NC in football.  We never capitalize.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 2