Jamal Johnson to transfer (UAB 3/24/21)

Dunndone414

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This one just doesn't really make sense to me. He'll be a Senior next year and this would be his second transfer. The only thing that would make it make sense is if he sees us going after some of these transfer portal PGs, Scoot might reclassify, and/or he believes Trey will take a lot of his minutes and is worrying he won't see the court much.

1 minute ago, tgrogan21 said:

This one just doesn't really make sense to me. He'll be a Senior next year and this would be his second transfer. The only thing that would make it make sense is if he sees us going after some of these transfer portal PGs, Scoot might reclassify, and/or he believes Trey will take a lot of his minutes and is worrying he won't see the court much.

Yeah, can’t imagine a place with more opportunity than a team with (likely) zero other returning guards. My brain immediately went to either 1) he knows we are going to land transfers/Scoot or 2) NCAA news. 

1 minute ago, Dunndone414 said:

Yeah, can’t imagine a place with more opportunity than a team with (likely) zero other returning guards. My brain immediately went to either 1) he knows we are going to land transfers/Scoot or 2) NCAA news. 

I'm hoping it's 1. From what I've seen there have been a lot of quality guards entering the portal already and we haven't even started the tourney yet.

20 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Wait did the Powell transfer make sense or something to you?! lol. JJ transferring would of made A TON of sense if Powell was coming back. But I def agree it is puzzling since Powell is not there. I think BRUUUUUUUUUCE has something cooking up his sleeve and we will see his vision soon. BUT GOT DANG CAN we get some of our back up bigs to transfer?! We have way way to many!!!! Stretch and Franklin could get more opportunities elsewhere with Bari, Thor, J will and Cardwell all def in front of them and I think Chris Moore has a lot more potential than Stretch and Franklin too.

18 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

I'm hoping it's 1. From what I've seen there have been a lot of quality guards entering the portal already and we haven't even started the tourney yet.

O we def are going to land some transfers. WE HAVE TOO!!! lol. I just want us to fully wait and see who all enters the portal. There will be a lot better and more talented guards (than the COC guard we are really interested in) and wings enter once more teams seasons start ending this weekend.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Wait did the Powell transfer make sense or something to you?!

It was surprising but it made sense considering his injury and him not being from Alabama. I could definitely understand him wanting to be closer to home. But a senior who had already transferred once from a team where he would be the only senior leader is just odd. I honestly think, like you said, Bruce has something coming because it doesn't make sense why he would leave unless he was told by the staff that Coop is staying, Scoot is reclassifying, or we're getting a couple of good guys from the transfer portal.

Just now, tgrogan21 said:

It was surprising but it made sense considering his injury and him not being from Alabama. I could definitely understand him wanting to be closer to home. But a senior who had already transferred once from a team where he would be the only senior leader is just odd. I honestly think, like you said, Bruce has something coming because it doesn't make sense why he would leave unless he was told by the staff that Coop is staying, Scoot is reclassifying, or we're getting a couple of good guys from the transfer portal.

Def bro!!!! Bruce is going all in for next season with Bari and pushing all his chips to the middle of the table!! LETS GOOO!!! I AM EXCITED FAMMY!!!! This year was clearly a abberation because of the post season ban and then it got worse with the injuries and coop not being eligible till a few games in to SEC play. BRUCE AINT PLAYING AROUND BRO!!!!! HE IS READY TO TAKE BACK THE SEC!!! YESSIRRR!!!!

Guys can say what they want about talent, but losing senior experience, great defense and someone who knows the system means alot. This blows 

I don't know what the hell is happening, but if you can keep Cooper, Flanagan, Thor and Jabari, you can afford some level of attrition I guess. 

But yes, there are also other talented guards that also have some experience transferring around. You just gotta pray they can hit the ground running

As of this time 2 weeks ago, you had 4 guys who could play the point guard role, and 3 who have done it decently well, and you've lost 2 of the latter 3. That's a bit worrying regardless 

I'm sure CBP is being completely honest with Jamal. Bruce wants a real PG to back up Coop or Scoot and be ready in case of an injury. I don't think JJ would take minutes away from Flan and Trey. I doubt if Jamal wants to come back for 5th year to ride the bench if he can be starting SG somewhere. Along with others he showed improvement this season. Our staff will probably help him find the right spot. Hope so.  He's worked hard and deserves a shot. So we may have one or two more transfers and maybe one to NBA. What looked like an experienced team coming back will have some new faces for sure.

34 minutes ago, autan said:

I'm sure CBP is being completely honest with Jamal. Bruce wants a real PG to back up Coop or Scoot and be ready in case of an injury. I don't think JJ would take minutes away from Flan and Trey. I doubt if Jamal wants to come back for 5th year to ride the bench if he can be starting SG somewhere. Along with others he showed improvement this season. Our staff will probably help him find the right spot. Hope so.  He's worked hard and deserves a shot. So we may have one or two more transfers and maybe one to NBA. What looked like an experienced team coming back will have some new faces for sure.

Bruce definitely does not seem like the type to just let a talented guy waste away. Don't think this will be the last time this offseason we have this conversation unfortunately. 

I thought this would be a little more expected from Auburn fans.  JJ is finishing his fourth year of college, so I assume he is about to graduate.  He has the ability to transfer without sitting out.  His role at Auburn has been relatively minor despite being an older player, so he might want to explore an opportunity to have a bigger role on a less competitive team.  Best of luck to him!

Javon Franklin is in a similar situation.  I expect him to enter the portal in the coming days as well.

I get it. The portal created the possibility of a free for all. But still. If Coop leaves, practically the entire back court will be flipped. Got 3s,4s,5s for days. Can’t keep 1s and 2s. Not gonna sugar coat it. What is going on with this staff?

34 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Bruce definitely does not seem like the type to just let a talented guy waste away. Don't think this will be the last time this offseason we have this conversation unfortunately. 

Unfortunately? I look at it as a opportunity to improve the talent on our roster. Time for some brutal honesty. There is a few dudes who we gave scholarships too that aren't really sec level player's. We have over recruited them and they will play even less next season than they did this season. Stretch and franklin are not starting over thor and Jabari in the front court and won't be ahead of the others in the rotation.

3 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

I get it. The portal created the possibility of a free for all. But still. If Coop leaves, practically the entire back court will be flipped. Got 3s,4s,5s for days. Can’t keep 1s and 2s. Not gonna sugar coat it. What is going on with this staff?

Jamal saw the writing on the wall. Trey Alexander is damn good. He will start early for us at the 2 guard. If not game 1. We will land some very highly coveted transfers this off season. This staff is awesome at everything. Recruiting has never been a issue with them. Powell was a loss sure but sounds like daddy already had his mind made up and nothing was gonna change it. We have dealt with helicopter parents before when it comes to AU bball with Toney Mitchell leaving after 1 season as well. Though that one was more understandable as he committed to play for Cliff not Lebo. Even though he had a good first season with Lebo.

There is going to be some starters on ncaa tourney teams who will transfer in the coming weeks too. This staff will be able to clean up when they have a lot of minutes to give guard and wings players.

26 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

That’s fine, IF he gets SOMETHING tangible in return. But we haven’t seen much in return lately. It seems like players are willing to split playing time everywhere else but Auburn. Bama and Arky seem to have ball handlers galore. And we can’t keep any.

1 minute ago, slyinsocal said:

That’s fine, IF he gets SOMETHING tangible in return. But we haven’t seen much in return lately. It seems like players are willing to split playing time everywhere else but Auburn. Bama and Arky seem to have ball handlers galore. And we can’t keep any.

A Pg rotation of Harper/davion mitchell and harper/ Mccormick is the exception not the norm. Most college teams do not have 2 capable point guards on the roster. I don't get where this myth got perpetuated that we are the only team that struggles with this.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

Jamal saw the writing on the wall. Trey Alexander is damn good. He will start early for us at the 2 guard. If not game 1. We will land some very highly coveted transfers this off season. This staff is awesome at everything. Recruiting has never been a issue with them. Powell was a loss sure but sounds like daddy already had his mind made up and nothing was gonna change it. We have dealt with helicopter parents before when it comes to AU bball with Toney Mitchell leaving after 1 season as well. Though that one was more understandable as he committed to play for Cliff not Lebo. Even though he had a good first season with Lebo.

There is going to be some starters on ncaa tourney teams who will transfer in the coming weeks too. This staff will be able to clean up when they have a lot of minutes to give guard and wings players.

Douglas Toney.

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I love how we can come up with all kind of reasons for JJ leaving but have no clue if it’s his concern for playing time. 

it could be something totally unrelated to on the court issues. He graduated and he even interned w a local sports radio station. So who knows why he’s leaving? 

This reminds me of the year we lost Mustapha Heron, Davion Mirchell, and Desean Murray. We went to the Final 4 the next year.

I would have rather seen Javon Franklin or Babatunde Akingbola go first, but I trust the coaches to upgrade from Jamal Johnson.

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

I love how we can come up with all kind of reasons for JJ leaving but have no clue if it’s his concern for playing time. 

it could be something totally unrelated to on the court issues. He graduated and he even interned w a local sports radio station. So who knows why he’s leaving? 

It's playing time. It's been said on pay sites by writer's he sees himself as a starter and most likely won't be next season.

Archived