Portal Talk

toddc

Auburn Football Recruiting: Portal Talk

Breaking down what Auburn has lost to the portal this off-season and who they could add in the near future.

By AUNerd@AUSportsNerd  May 10, 2021, 8:00am CDT

Share this story

Share this on Facebook (opens in new window)

Share this on Twitter (opens in new window)

SHAREAll sharing options

Photo by Bryan Lynn/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images

No matter where you fall on the scale between “college athletes should do whatever the hell they want without any penalty” to “scholarships are blood contracts binding a player to an institution until death”, the transfer portal has become and will continue to be a central part of the college football world. 

Auburn fans became intimately aware of the portal this past week when four Tigers announced their intentions to enter it and find a new home. In fact, Auburn has lost a total of 15 players so far to the portal with their being a decent likelihood that a couple of more could enter in the coming weeks. Here’s a quick rundown on who has all departed.

QB Cord Sandberg (Eastern Kentucky)

QB Chayil Garnett

RB D.J. Williams (Florida State)

RB Harold Joiner (Michigan State)

RB Mark Antony-Richards (UCF)

WR/S Matthew Hill (USF)

OG Kamaar Bell (FAU)

OL Justin Osborne (SMU)

DT Daquan Newkirk (Florida)

DT Coynis Miller (Jackson State)

DT Jay Hardy

OLB Jaren Handy

LB Octavius Brothers (Purdue)

LB Josh Marsh

CB Kamal Hadden

S Chris Thompson Jr.

That’s a lot of attrition especially when you also add Auburn’s NFL Draft departures in Seth Williams, Anthony Schwartz, Jamien Sherwood, Christian Tutt, and Jordyn Peters. 

LATEST VIDEO FROM SB NATION

Bill Belichick's legacy-altering beef w/ Eric Mangini

The good news is just as players can use the portal to find homes elsewhere, Auburn can use the portal to find talented players who can make an immediate impact for the Tigers this fall. Especially now that it’s being reported that Auburn has more than 3 spots remaining in this class.

Both AuburnUndercover’s Keith Niebuhrand AuburnSports’s Jeffery Lee reported over the weekend that Auburn plans to add more than 3 players from the portal in the coming days. In fact, that number might be as high as 7 or 8.

How can that be?

I’ll admit that I don’t know for sure but I believe that Auburn (and many other programs) will be utilizing the blueshirt rule to go over the 25 initial counter limit. To qualify for a blueshirt a player must have been “unrecruited” meaning they did not take an official visit to the school, the coaching staff did not visit the player’s home, no National Letter of Intent was signed, and the athlete was given no form of athletic aid. If a player meets those standards then they can be put on scholarship on the first day of practice in August without that scholarship counting against the 25 limit for each recruiting cycle. The 85 scholarship limit still applies but this is a creative way teams in the past have been able to add extra players to a class, usually a special teams player like a long snapper or punter, without that scholarship counting against the class’s 25 limit.

Now think about how this transfer portal recruiting is going down. Official visits aren’t allowed so no players are meeting with coaches on campus. Coaches aren’t allowed to meet with recruits in person at the moment. None of these transfers need to sign a National Letter of Intent to join the program and given the semester is coming to an end, aid is unlikely to be needed. So my best guess is Auburn and other programs are using that qualification to add more transfers than would typically be allowed in order to back fill spots lost to the portal or fill important needs heading into the 2021 season.

It should be noted that those spots will then be lost for the next cycle. So if Auburn were to add 7 players via the portal, they would only have 21 spots available in the 2022 class. But I also suspect that there will be some rule changes in regards to the initial counter rule and how it is applied to the portal. At minimum, with virtual visits becoming standard practice in recruiting, teams could use this strategy again next year to add more transfers after signing 21 high school players.

All of that speculating and rambling is a long way of saying, Auburn is planning to add some more players from the portal in the very near future.

The Tigers already have two transfers committed in Northwestern defensive end Andrew “Eku” Leota and West Virginia cornerback Dreshun Miller. Both have very good chances at earning starting gigs for this 2021 season.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I hope we can adopt Bama math when it comes to scholarships. 28-30 per year, every year. 😏

• Like 6

Amazing what happens we a staff gets created with the rules

4BFF6084-B246-4169-A3B5-8AB55924D2A6.gif.b130931780e92022a1ab945115361695.gif

F59C22B2-7B18-4715-9D46-0129929A7114.gif.92738dac8c1f50344b0d0ce760e3db48.gif

Edited by AUBwins

Go figure.

How is this a big change? Maybe I'm missing something, but we only have 3 spots open for this cycle, right? And if filled, we can't use them next year to sign 28 high school guys, right? Now the difference is it allows you to burn even more slots from next year's class with transfer guys who most likely won't have 4/5 years on the team, right? Now if a team was contending, and really needed to add some immediate help, I could see the benefit of it. But, if you want it done right, as opposed to "right now" why would you mortgage your future to look slightly better immediately? I hope we don't go this route unless we're getting some quality players with at least 2 and preferably 3 years of eligibility.

This would be very situational for sure. Definitely need a roster management position though. And, I don't think anyone ever knows how many players Bama has on scholarship or how many they can sign.

Just now, JDUBB4AU said:

What’s our salary cap?

:largeAU:💰

57B5C5CB-1283-47A2-B760-553A5EF58F76.jpeg

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

How is this a big change? Maybe I'm missing something, but we only have 3 spots open for this cycle, right? And if filled, we can't use them next year to sign 28 high school guys, right? Now the difference is it allows you to burn even more slots from next year's class with transfer guys who most likely won't have 4/5 years on the team, right? Now if a team was contending, and really needed to add some immediate help, I could see the benefit of it. But, if you want it done right, as opposed to "right now" why would you mortgage your future to look slightly better immediately? I hope we don't go this route unless we're getting some quality players with at least 2 and preferably 3 years of eligibility.

This would be very situational for sure. Definitely need a roster management position though. And, I don't think anyone ever knows how many players Bama has on scholarship or how many they can sign.

There are a few things going on.  With covid, we're pretty limited meeting HS kids.  Maybe that changes but the first HS kid we'll meet will be about 6 months before NSD.  So, maybe we take 3 transfers, then take 3-4 more as blue-shirts to help beef up our roster.  I'd assume a good bit of these kids will have 2-3 years.  So, it could help soften a tough recruiting situation.  It might be really hard to sign 28 really good players.  Why not fill some of those with quality transfers?

Additionally, I think we have a massive Sr class next year and we'll need some experienced guys that aren't TrFr, could help soften the blow.

I also don't think we are lacking talent that some do.  Taking a soph/Jr transfer could be the difference between winning 8 games and 10.  Or this year the difference between 6 and 8 games.  Winning will help more than anything getting kids to Auburn.  I don't see taking some transfers as mortgaging the future.  It's not like all the kids will be Grad transfers with 1 year to play

• Like 4

On 5/10/2021 at 12:41 PM, toddc said:

The Tigers already have two transfers committed in Northwestern defensive end Andrew “Eku” Leota and West Virginia cornerback Dreshun Miller. Both have very good chances at earning starting gigs for this 2021 season.

Yes, and both of those are scholarship players, signed to the class of 2021. Would they have chosen AU if they had to be walkons who paid their own way with the promise of a scholarship next year? I don't think so.

While "blueshirting" sounds good to some fans, no school is going to get quality athletes by bringing in walkons who were unrecruited prospects. We're talking about guys who weren't offered scholarships to Troy, Jax State and so forth. You may have the occasional guy who simply wants to be at AU because his mom went there, but there aren't many even 3* prospects out there who will pass on a scholarship elsewhere to walk on at AU.

12 hours ago, W.E.D said:

There are a few things going on.  With covid, we're pretty limited meeting HS kids.  Maybe that changes but the first HS kid we'll meet will be about 6 months before NSD.  So, maybe we take 3 transfers, then take 3-4 more as blue-shirts to help beef up our roster.  I'd assume a good bit of these kids will have 2-3 years.  So, it could help soften a tough recruiting situation.  It might be really hard to sign 28 really good players.  Why not fill some of those with quality transfers?

Additionally, I think we have a massive Sr class next year and we'll need some experienced guys that aren't TrFr, could help soften the blow.

I also don't think we are lacking talent that some do.  Taking a soph/Jr transfer could be the difference between winning 8 games and 10.  Or this year the difference between 6 and 8 games.  Winning will help more than anything getting kids to Auburn.  I don't see taking some transfers as mortgaging the future.  It's not like all the kids will be Grad transfers with 1 year to play

Exactly my take on it. 

People really need to remain cognizant that we aren't working within normal parameters right now, and traditional wisdom doesn't apply in all scenarios. 

I am concerned about talent at certain positions, but I couldn't tell you that last time I wasn't. It's not like we were on some mountaintop staring down into the abyss. We have a new coach for a reason. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, W.E.D said:

True on the SR class. I checked and we have over 25 Srs this coming year with about 18 being starters or strong contributors, so we will need a transition group this year AND next year from solid transfers that may have to be plugged in as starters, as well as possibly a lot of freshmen....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Yes, and both of those are scholarship players, signed to the class of 2021. Would they have chosen AU if they had to be walkons who paid their own way with the promise of a scholarship next year? I don't think so.

While "blueshirting" sounds good to some fans, no school is going to get quality athletes by bringing in walkons who were unrecruited prospects. We're talking about guys who weren't offered scholarships to Troy, Jax State and so forth. You may have the occasional guy who simply wants to be at AU because his mom went there, but there aren't many even 3* prospects out there who will pass on a scholarship elsewhere to walk on at AU.

It's not the next season for a scholarship, it's August.  So you either workout on your own and come in August like most Fr kids or you get an apartment for 2 months and workout in Auburn over the summer.  This like grey shirts where they have to wait until the following year.

I honestly think you'll see a good bit of these b/c most schools are at or near the 25 cap and we have a ton of kids in the portal

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

True on the SR class. I checked and we have over 25 Srs this coming year with about 18 being starters or strong contributors, so we will need a transition group this year AND next year from solid transfers that may have to be plugged in as starters, as well as possibly a lot of freshmen....

Yeah I hadn't look at the numbers yet, but it is a mix of covid srs and real seniors.  I'm not sure how many 4th year guys can get a 5th covid year, so that could possibly impact it to.

But you're right we need guys that can fill out our middler/upper ranks.  Hopefully starters for a year or two.  Lets say we have sign 6 more transfers meaning we can sign 22 next year.  I wouldn't be shocked if that was 18 Fr and 4 more transfers.  Then possibly some more blue shirts.  It'll eventually even out.  I'd like to see them adjust the 25 cap and do a limit with HS/Transfers or something like 5 transfers then an extra for every 2 you lose over some number.  Idk, just spit balling 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, W.E.D said:

It's not the next season for a scholarship, it's August.  So you either workout on your own and come in August like most Fr kids or you get an apartment for 2 months and workout in Auburn over the summer.  This like grey shirts where they have to wait until the following year.

I honestly think you'll see a good bit of these b/c most schools are at or near the 25 cap and we have a ton of kids in the portal

The early signing date for the class of 2022 will be in December.

13 minutes ago, Mikey said:

The early signing date for the class of 2022 will be in December.

Ok.  You're smarter than all the Mods & football coaches talking about doing it.

’ll admit that I don’t know for sure but I believe that Auburn (and many other programs) will be utilizing the blueshirt rule to go over the 25 initial counter limit. To qualify for a blueshirt a player must have been “unrecruited” meaning they did not take an official visit to the school, the coaching staff did not visit the player’s home, no National Letter of Intent was signed, and the athlete was given no form of athletic aid. If a player meets those standards then they can be put on scholarship on the first day of practice in August without that scholarship counting against the 25 limit for each recruiting cycle. 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Ok.  You're smarter than all the Mods & football coaches talking about doing it.

23 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

’ll admit that I don’t know for sure but I believe that Auburn (and many other programs) will be utilizing the blueshirt rule to go over the 25 initial counter limit. To qualify for a blueshirt a player must have been “unrecruited” meaning they did not take an official visit to the school, the coaching staff did not visit the player’s home, no National Letter of Intent was signed, and the athlete was given no form of athletic aid. If a player meets those standards then they can be put on scholarship on the first day of practice in August without that scholarship counting against the 25 limit for each recruiting cycle. 

That is correct. The only thing the writer failed to mention is that those players can't play until the '22 season. So, if a school wants to use a dozen of its '22 scholarships on unrecruited players, they are free to go straight to the bottom of their league. Those slots will count against the '22 limit of 25.

Edited by Mikey

46 minutes ago, Mikey said:

That is correct. The only thing the writer failed to mention is that those players can't play until the '22 season. So, if a school wants to use a dozen of its '22 scholarships on unrecruited players, they are free to go straight to the bottom of their league. Those slots will count against the '22 limit of 25.

Again, that isn't correct.  They would be on scholarship August, 2021 and be able to play in the 2021 season.

They would not count against any recruiting class.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

The only thing the writer failed to mention is that those players can't play until the '22 season.

The writer failed to mention it because it isn't true. Oscar Chapman was blueshirted last year, counting toward this year's total, and he played.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/oscar-chapman-tigers-punter-australian-kicker-blue-shirt/

The early NSD is in December...but blueshirts don't sign an NLI. They just enroll and are put on scholarship.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Rednilla said:

The writer failed to mention it because it isn't true. Oscar Chapman was blueshirted last year, counting toward this year's total, and he played.
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/oscar-chapman-tigers-punter-australian-kicker-blue-shirt/

The early NSD is in December...but blueshirts don't sign an NLI. They just enroll and are put on scholarship.

Did Chapman go on scholarship before December? The article quotes Chapman as saying he will be on full scholarship but it fails to say when that scholarship takes effect.

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Did Chapman go on scholarship before December? The article quotes Chapman as saying he will be on full scholarship but it fails to say when that scholarship takes effect.

Gonna die on this hill, aren't you?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

"A blueshirt can pay his own way for summer classes and then his scholarship will go into effect in August."

https://www.al.com/sports/2017/01/what_is_a_blueshirt_alabama_sc.html#:~:text=What's the catch%3F,player limit per signing class.

• Like 1