Portal Talk

toddc

4 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Go back and read the damn OP.  It's literally described for you

Jeremiah 5:21

‘Hear now this, O foolish people, and without understanding; which have eyes, and see not; which have ears, and hear not’.  

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, toddc said:

This is what I’ve seen and heard because everyone wants a good offensive tackle .

Any idea if we are just looking at one OT or maybe another one or an interior? I know a lot of folks are concerned about LT (I am too) but after watching the spring game I think we need to find someone at RT as well lol

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Still targeting:

• TJ Finley, QB, LSU
    • Between Auburn, Penn State, and Texas
  • Jordon Ingram, RB, Central Michigan
    • Seems like an AU lock once his academic situation is squared away
  • Ke'Shun Brown, LB, Texas A&M
    • Also seems like an AU lock and will announce within the next week or two
  • Marcus Harris, DE, Kansas
    • Another one that seems like an AU lock with a decision coming next Friday (21st)
  • Donovan Kaufman, S, Vanderbilt
    • Down to Auburn & Texas. He's said in all of his interviews he wanted to decide in mid-may so he can be on campus before June.

Where are we on the 85?  I thought we might be around 78 or so, maybe higher after the recent commits.

Finley I'm interested in.

Don't care about Ingram.  Brown doesn't really excite me, IDK.

Like Harris & really want Kaufman.

So Take QB/DE/S.  Then get some money to some decent OT out there so he enters to the Portal and hopefully the S. Alabama WR really enters the portal.

That puts us close to 85 and 21 commits for the '22 class.  I expect a smaller HS class and leave 2-3 spots open for transfer kids

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Where are we on the 85?  I thought we might be around 78 or so, maybe higher after the recent commits.

Finley I'm interested in.

Don't care about Ingram.  Brown doesn't really excite me, IDK.

Like Harris & really want Kaufman.

So Take QB/DE/S.  Then get some money to some decent OT out there so he enters to the Portal and hopefully the S. Alabama WR really enters the portal.

That puts us close to 85 and 21 commits for the '22 class.  I expect a smaller HS class and leave 2-3 spots open for transfer kids

I have us at 82 if Traivon actually returns (some assume he won't). With super-seniors that don't count against the count we're closer to 78.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, au302 said:

Any idea if we are just looking at one OT or maybe another one or an interior? I know a lot of folks are concerned about LT (I am too) but after watching the spring game I think we need to find someone at RT as well lol

I’m not sure but there’s a lot of buzz that’s not been reported on publicly yet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Rednilla said:

what the rule regarding something that you might have caught in passing somewhere along the way could possibly have been at the time.

There's no might or maybe to it. That was the rule, and recently. Unrecruited meant unrecruited by anybody. It may still mean that or it may have changed. Al.com's take on something such as this is the last place I'd put my trust in.

7 hours ago, Mikey said:

There's no might or maybe to it. That was the rule, and recently. Unrecruited meant unrecruited by anybody. It may still mean that or it may have changed. Al.com's take on something such as this is the last place I'd put my trust in.

An Athlete is Only Recruited if He:

• Was provided an official visit to the campus;
  • Had arranged, in-person, off-campus contact with a coach; or
  • Was sent an NLI or other written scholarship offer.

The status of recruited or un-recruited is also school specific. So a school could call an athlete an unlimited number of times, have them on campus for unlimited unofficial visits, and evaluate them as many times as possible without changing the athlete’s status to recruited.

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

The status of recruited or un-recruited is also school specific. So a school could call an athlete an unlimited number of times, have them on campus for unlimited unofficial visits, and evaluate them as many times as possible without changing the athlete’s status to recruited.

This. “Unrecruited” doesn’t mean nobody talked to or recruited the kid. If that was the definition then the only place a school would find a “blue shirt” would be stumbling around in the wilds of sub-Saharan Africa looking for potential players (or maybe looking at Australian rules football videos). 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

Why anyone of us would fight so hard against something that benefits Auburn is just strange.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, fredst said:

in the wilds of sub-Saharan Africa looking for potential players (or maybe looking at Australian rules football videos). 

Great reference but I do love me some sub-Saharan Africa music

• Like 1
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Why anyone of us would fight so hard against something that benefits Auburn is just strange.

Just Auburn folks being Auburn folks. 😞 Been this way since the 60's.  We've always been our own worst enemy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Kind of odd the seemingly lack of effort and/or lack of interest in/from a lot of OTs that already transferred. 

We know it's a massive need. Coaches are apparently being quiet about one's potentially hitting the portal. I'm not sure a good OT has hit post spring. ND OL was more of a guard. 

Why didn't we go after both of UTs tackles? With Friends connections you'd think we would have some access to those kids. Wayna Morris especially. 

We essentially have two starting OT spots on a good SEC program. The lack of interest is surprising. 

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Kind of odd the seemingly lack of effort and/or lack of interest in/from a lot of OTs that already transferred. 

We know it's a massive need. Coaches are apparently being quiet about one's potentially hitting the portal. I'm not sure a good OT has hit post spring. ND OL was more of a guard. 

Why didn't we go after both of UTs tackles? With Friends connections you'd think we would have some access to those kids. Wayna Morris especially. 

We essentially have two starting OT spots on a good SEC program. The lack of interest is surprising. 

Wanya Morris definitely was a head scratcher. OK was a surprise in that they were not even his finalist when he was recruited out of HS. Auburn was one of his finalist along w/ LSU, so surprised we were not in it during his transfer recruiting. Tells me that somebody on the OK staff really did well it convincing him to come there.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Wanya Morris definitely was a head scratcher. OK was a surprise in that they were not even his finalist when he was recruited out of HS. Auburn was one of his finalist along w/ LSU, so surprised we were not in it during his transfer recruiting. Tells me that somebody on the OK staff really did well it convincing him to come there.

Or our current staff knew to stay away from Wanya

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

Why was that a head scratcher? I believe he's draft-eligible next season and it seems he took an offer to essentially step in as a starter on an already established team that will sleep-walk to 10+ wins. Their OL will also get a ton of NFL eyes on them because of what they have at QB and at their skill positions. Why would he come here into a rebuild-type situation when he has the opportunity to step in and play at a much "safer" school? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aublaise said:

Or our current staff knew to stay away from Wanya

It could have been a horrible evaluation by Friend. But that seems off

1 hour ago, metafour said:

Why was that a head scratcher? I believe he's draft-eligible next season and it seems he took an offer to essentially step in as a starter on an already established team that will sleep-walk to 10+ wins. Their OL will also get a ton of NFL eyes on them because of what they have at QB and at their skill positions. Why would he come here into a rebuild-type situation when he has the opportunity to step in and play at a much "safer" school? 

I thought he was a Fr for some reason. Makes some sense 

1 hour ago, metafour said:

head scratcher only in the sense that these guys are familiar with the teams recruiting them in the first place, and when he picked UT, they certainly were no established winning program, far from it.

But I thought about it more, and you are right, in that if he is looking at it from wanting an existing winning upper level program, then OK was one of the best.

I also realized he was recruited by old staff back then, and other than Friend, he knew nothing about Harsin, or whether we will be back to an upper level team.

Just burn my last post...and enjoy. :)

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

It could have been a horrible evaluation by Friend. But that seems off

Thought Friend recruited him to Tennessee 

38 minutes ago, toddc said:

Thought Friend recruited him to Tennessee 

Believe he did. 

I can get some going to Oklahoma over r a new coach, but we really haven't even been connected to an

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I'm worried because while I do think that Friend and co will bring in some good high school OT prospects this coming signing class, we desperately need two guys that can hold the fort for probably two years while these guys develop. As bad as this year's situation is, what will happen next year? This staff seems very forward thinking. I don't think we have any sophomores or jr's on the roster right now in the wings once Hamm/Jackson/Trox/Coffey are gone next year. Thus, I wonder if the staff is waiting for guys that could come in and start for two years or so while the '22 recruits develop instead of biting at some of the one year grad transfers out there. Gus left us in a hell of a bind with this position group. I do trust that Harsin, Bobo, and Friend will come up with a plan to salvage this until the high school guys are ready to take over.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, au302 said:

I'm worried because while I do think that Friend and co will bring in some good high school OT prospects this coming signing class, we desperately need two guys that can hold the fort for probably two years while these guys develop. As bad as this year's situation is, what will happen next year? This staff seems very forward thinking. I don't think we have any sophomores or jr's on the roster right now in the wings once Hamm/Jackson/Trox/Coffey are gone next year. Thus, I wonder if the staff is waiting for guys that could come in and start for two years or so while the '22 recruits develop instead of biting at some of the one year grad transfers out there. Gus left us in a hell of a bind with this position group. I do trust that Harsin, Bobo, and Friend will come up with a plan to salvage this until the high school guys are ready to take over.

I think Jernigan and Johnson from the '20 class will be really good, but again the lack of tackles is a huge issue.

Finley - announcing in "the last week of the month."

Ingram - no update

Ke'Shun Brown - Auburn hasn't officially offered yet but they believe he'll commit if/when we do

Marcus Harris - deciding Friday 

Kaufman - deciding Wednesday

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeek said:

Finley - announcing in "the last week of the month."

Ingram - no update

Ke'Shun Brown - Auburn hasn't officially offered yet but they believe he'll commit if/when we do

Marcus Harris - deciding Friday 

Kaufman - deciding Wednesday

Give me Finely, Harris, Kaufman, find an OT and a WR.  That takes our 22 class down to 21.   Sign 18 and find 3, hopefully elite, transfers in January of 22 for the '23 season.

Hopefully we show some good progress on the field, get a few players in decent draft spots and can be attractive.