Portal Talk

toddc

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

You got to remember, that more than likely our 21 and 22 recruiting haul will not be the best it can be, just bc this staff is so new, and just now getting to develop HS coaches and player relationships that seem to be a key factor in these top recruits decision making. 

So Harsin is smart, and in bringing these transfers who have played, and even started and succeeded, with multiple years left to play college ball that gives HArsin some players that can compete in 21 and 22. That's better than bringing in lower HS recruits that we settled on.

Now 2023 is the biggest recruiting year for Harsin, to see if thus group of coaches can deliver in bringing in a top 10 recruiting class..

But for now, just look at these transfers as a blessing for a team that needs depth and possible starters for this and next year.

I agree with your first part and it looks like we could take 4 or so kids from the 22 class. But you have to remember, we'll have an entire portal cycle next winter.  That's why I'm saying we need to be selected vs taking bodies.

2 hours ago, steeleagle said:

You got to remember, that more than likely our 21 and 22 recruiting haul will not be the best it can be, just bc this staff is so new, and just now getting to develop HS coaches and player relationships that seem to be a key factor in these top recruits decision making.

I think you nailed it on that. Plus, changing defensive schemes, and I think the new staff may have evaluated the players we have/had a little differently than the previous staff. I wouldn't want a bunch of one and dones except in special situations, but adding even serviceable players in areas of need makes sense in the short term. Depending on how the transfer portal/eligibility plays out, it could become an important part of recruiting/roster management in the future. It's a new era to put it mildly.

Any interest in Chez Neal from Florida State?  Offensive lineman.  Not sure if guard or tackle.  I know we need tackles more.

46 minutes ago, roe4christ said:

Any interest in Chez Neal from Florida State?  Offensive lineman.  Not sure if guard or tackle.  I know we need tackles more.

Not impressed after reading this article

FSU OT Chaz Neal enters transfer portal

by Brendan Sonnone

9 hours ago

Florida State offensive tackle Chaz Neal has entered the transfer portal, Noles247 has learned. The redshirt sophomore has played in 19 games at FSU, primarily working on special teams.

Neal was a three-star recruit from Zephyrhills, Fla. who finished his prep career at Wesley Chapel. The 6-foot-7 prospect was originally a defensive end when he committed to the Seminoles, but a change in coaching staffs prompted a move to offensive tackle. He bulked up from 286 pounds to 316 pounds during his time in Tallahassee, but struggled to crack the lineup as an offensive tackle.

FSU has added six prep offensive linemen the past two recruiting cycles as well as two transfers (Devontay Love-Taylor in 2020 and Dillan Gibbons in 2021) in an attempt to turn around a position group that was among the worst in the Power Five from 2018-2019. The line made some strides in 2020, but is still working to get back to a serviceable level. Neal was expected to compete for a reserve tackle spot during the 2021 season, but didn't figure to be a major factor in FSU's attempted rebuild up front

39 minutes ago, Paladin said:

Not impressed after reading this article

FSU OT Chaz Neal enters transfer portal

by Brendan Sonnone

9 hours ago

Florida State offensive tackle Chaz Neal has entered the transfer portal, Noles247 has learned. The redshirt sophomore has played in 19 games at FSU, primarily working on special teams.

Neal was a three-star recruit from Zephyrhills, Fla. who finished his prep career at Wesley Chapel. The 6-foot-7 prospect was originally a defensive end when he committed to the Seminoles, but a change in coaching staffs prompted a move to offensive tackle. He bulked up from 286 pounds to 316 pounds during his time in Tallahassee, but struggled to crack the lineup as an offensive tackle.

FSU has added six prep offensive linemen the past two recruiting cycles as well as two transfers (Devontay Love-Taylor in 2020 and Dillan Gibbons in 2021) in an attempt to turn around a position group that was among the worst in the Power Five from 2018-2019. The line made some strides in 2020, but is still working to get back to a serviceable level. Neal was expected to compete for a reserve tackle spot during the 2021 season, but didn't figure to be a major factor in FSU's attempted rebuild up front

Makes sense.  Thanks for the information.  Doesn't seem to be too many good options for OL transfers in the portal.  The few good ones have already been snatched up. 

Auburn supposedly interested.

Seems to be more talk around some unnamed WR I can't find anything on currently.

Might be a WR from South Alabama? Not sure.

We really are trying to run that 0-0-11 defense aren't we? 😅 DB recruiting has been no-holds-barred this off season

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Auburn supposedly interested.

Seems to be more talk around some unnamed WR I can't find anything on currently.

Might be a WR from South Alabama? Not sure.

Another DB doesn't make sense. I'd love that S. Alabama WR to pop. 

Starting WR and starting OT then be done 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

We really are trying to run that 0-0-11 defense aren't we? 😅 DB recruiting has been no-holds-barred this off season

I was a little surprised to see that. Just the evaluation stage though no clue on full out interest yet.

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Another DB doesn't make sense. I'd love that S. Alabama WR to pop. 

Starting WR and starting OT then be done 

Agreed unless someone else gets processed out. I'd like to see a WR, RB, and OT for sure. I think we're good on defense unless a game changer pops up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1