Supreme Court Slaps Down the NCAA Unanimously

AUGoo

My take on this whole NIL thing is this:

It will morph over time as it tries to find a level to really work. What we see now will be different in 5 years for sure.

Even though 85% of the student athletes will not make much off of NIL, they will still have the opportunity too, and that is the most important aspect of allowing to earn money even for a short time at school.

And even if only a few will make lots of money off of NIL, and some will make less, those that don't still get a free ride in school and a degree if they stay, to help them in there future job opportunities.

I only see good things for student athletes, and trouble down the road for those that still will use it to manipulate players...

• Like 3

5 hours ago, DAG said:

You don't. That is why instead of staying on topic, you either revert to attacking an age group, trying to prove that you swing a big stick, or just plain go on diatribes about things that don't even matter at this point. WHO IS GOING TO SIGN WITH NETFLIX?!

Who gives a crap.

"Revert to attacking an age group"...see your post below on June 18 jackass...

On 6/18/2021 at 4:13 AM, DAG said:  You can’t win with these boomers.

I believe you started attacking an age group in another thread that I had the misfortune to share with you.  You could start with a simple apology for doing something you apparently can't take...

Oh, thanks for confirming you don't know anything about marketing.  I'll let the Mckenzie guys know to back down on that offer.  Perhaps if you don't understand a topic; rather than going "all hat and no cattle" you could try to learn from those that do.  For example, provide me a unique perspective or insight and I'll listen...but making loud noises isn't insight.   

I think we agree on the NIL topic on about 90% of the elements.  Not sure why you're so hot and bothered with anyone that doesn't see everything 100% the way you do.  

The guidelines are:

1. Deals cannot serve as recruiting inducements.
  2. Athletes cannot receive benefits without services given.
  3. Agents or representation are allowed for NIL benefits.
  4. Schools cannot be involved in creating opportunities for their athletes.
  5. Players cannot promote alcohol, legal drugs like cannabis, tobacco products, adult entertainment or gambling.

I've got nothing against the kids making $$ but I can't fathom any way to monitor the above "guidelines" to keep the playing field even remotely level. 

1. Prove that the kid got that sponsorship as part of an inducement deal and/or that the school was involved. We already know this shady stuff went on with the outmoded amateurism rules. Now it will be applied even more liberally. 

2. Services given...this is wildly vague and open to broad interpretation.  

3. Agents will be necessary for any serious athlete. It's not just their likeness they are representing, they are also de-facto representatives of the institution they play for. Someone has to look out for the interests of the institution and the athlete. We'll see how this plays out. 

4. See #1

5. How can they outlaw this but allow anything else. If the athlete is 21, so what if they promote a Vodka? This seems like more of the same crap that started all this to begin with. Someone will lobby / sue to change this. There's too much money at stake. 

The below is a hypothetical, but given what I've seen it could happen...

Boosters pool resources and funnel through a business to "sponsor" desired student athletes. They agree to pay exorbitant sums to these athletes for "services given" should they "decide" to attend the local preferred university. The student attends. The athletes do an appearance once per month for an hour at the business for a substantial payout. This would be so easy to coordinate between the School and boosters with zero paper trail and plausible deniability.

In this scenario the schools with the richest willing boosters and that can work this system will get the premium athletes. Smaller schools may be able to field teams, but they will not be competitive due to a lack of resources. 

I'm not saying this will happen, but what's to stop it? 

• Like 4

RIP “college” football. It was good while it lasted. Hope these “student athletes “ will at least go to a financial responsibility course and not blow their money on pot, rims, and gold chains

• Haha 2
  • Facepalm 2
  • Sad 1
  • Dislike 2

19 hours ago, DAG said:

This is just the tip of the iceberg. 

I'm glad the kids get some money, but this looks destined to spiral out of control.

• Like 1

I think an interesting impact of this NIL may be that funds previously sent to schools for use (booster donations, etc.) may bypass the school and head directly to the athletes.  I suspect the U guy was previously spending some of that money on the U's athletic department.  Going to be an interesting ride for a few years until this settles down.

If I ran AU's sports marketing department, I would be trying to figure out how to make the athletes more visible.  The more visible the more opportunities for them to earn money.  Then the schools with the athletes earning the most money will have a significant recruiting advantage over the others.  

1 hour ago, jluvah said:

RIP “college” football. It was good while it lasted. Hope these “student athletes “ will at least go to a financial responsibility course and not blow their money on pot, rims, and gold chains

Post less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

This is just the tip of the iceberg. 

I'm glad the kids get some money, but this looks destined to spiral out of control.

Its could very well spiral out of control. But i'm interested to see what happens. Building a football team is not as easy as writing a check. Just because you pay people money does not mean they will be good football players. I don't think businesses will be willing to shell out 500k per year for a football team that is not at the very top of the standings. 

And then if the strategy does work then others will try it. And the cost to field highly competitive teams goes up. And then what happens when one of these kids who you are sponsering posts  videos of themselves killing baby rabbits on tik tok?? 

Its going to be a interesting next few years. But atleast the payments are going on where everyone can see them now. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Luther Campbel: true visionary,  born before his time.

Yes sir!! This is why I have been saying there would be money to be had by all scholarship players. It may night be 10,000 dollars but you could definitely make some pocket change, if you find the right resources. 

• Like 2

Wait till the NIL is used in talking a recruit or transfer to use and come to their program as a walk-on. Said program would have the NIL lined up to cover all costs similar to a scholly. I've heard some schools have already been talking about this 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, DAG said:

SAw where Alabama Defensive backfield are all S. FL. players. This type of recruiting tool could keep these kids instate when you have this type of offering to ALL players.

It's the wild wild west until there are put in place some guidelines that don't let it get out of hand.

I'm all for these young athletes to get as much as they can. They all work hard enough for all us fans to enjoy college football every year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Yes sir!! This is why I have been saying there would be money to be had by all scholarship players. It may night be 10,000 dollars but you could definitely make some pocket change, if you find the right resources. 

For some programs, the resources have just been waiting to unleash a ton of cash to players and now they can do it in plain view with no NCAA hurdles to clear. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

SAw where Alabama Defensive backfield are all S. FL. players. This type of recruiting tool could keep these kids instate when you have this type of offering to ALL players.

It's the wild wild west until there are put in place some guidelines that don't let it get out of hand.

I'm all for these young athletes to get as much as they can. They all work hard enough for all us fans to enjoy college football every year.

Good for them, I say! They can stay locally and make money. No more gatekeepers like Dabo or NS. If I am non power 5 schools like UCF, I am trying to rub shoulders with guys like this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jluvah said:

So is that what you blew your first money on? Don't you think we should give them an opportunity to show how responsible they can be? Pretty sure that a young man who is balancing a school workload and practice/ workouts etc. deserves at least that from us before we assume the worst. If their priority is rims and gold chains then that's their business and it doesn't mean they are irresponsible if they have no other financial obligations. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, jluvah said:

Just a touch racist

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Just a touch racist

Lol. Dude just IMed me with "#triggered". I'm sure he's here for intelligent conversation.

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Lol. Dude just IMed me with "#triggered". I'm sure he's here for intelligent conversation.

lol

Yay!! I wonder if I get a message too!  Can't wait to hear from this triggered boomer thinking college football is over

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Wait till the NIL is used in talking a recruit or transfer to use and come to their program as a walk-on. Said program would have the NIL lined up to cover all costs similar to a scholly. I've heard some schools have already been talking about this 

Kinda makes the 85 schollie rule kaput

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

Kinda makes the 85 schollie rule kaput

Hmm people paying the full cost of college so guys don't count against the 85 limit? Thats a new angle I had not thought about. They may have to do away with the walk on status to counter that. Maybe increase the limit a bit but schools must start the season with say 95 guys on roster that are available to play in games. A school can have as many people available for practice as they want but players in game have to come from the list of 95 submitted at the beginning of the season. 

54 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Hmm people paying the full cost of college so guys don't count against the 85 limit?

I can tell you for certain bammer is looking into this

21 hours ago, Butthead said:

I think an interesting impact of this NIL may be that funds previously sent to schools for use (booster donations, etc.) may bypass the school and head directly to the athletes.  I suspect the U guy was previously spending some of that money on the U's athletic department.  Going to be an interesting ride for a few years until this settles down.

If I ran AU's sports marketing department, I would be trying to figure out how to make the athletes more visible.  The more visible the more opportunities for them to earn money.  Then the schools with the athletes earning the most money will have a significant recruiting advantage over the others.  

Auburn needs coaching staff that can arm players with a scheme and the proper tools to prepare them to show out on the field/court.

I think companies/businesses who agree pay athletes for endorsement deals or autographs will expect the athlete to perform at a high level.  The NIL $$ will pour in at first, but if that athlete stinks it up on the court I'd venture to those funds will back off considerably.  If the overall team doesn't appear to be able to go toe to toe with the elite programs on game day then who's going to continue to pay for the autographs, apparel, endorsement deals?  

The name Auburn University will provide the visibility, it's up to the player to take that opportunity and excel to a level where they become a brand all their own.  They will market themselves with their on-the-field performance.  We may see team competition get jacked up a notch or two, which is a good thing. 

5 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I can tell you for certain bammer is looking into this

Why wouldn't they?  Why wouldn't every HC in the big time conferences be canvassing this option?  The old rules have been kicked to the curb and it's free reign for every team.  :gofig:

• Like 1