Love Pearl but not a fan of the shirtless look

Scribe Tiger

13 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

As an older guy I understand why it bothers you to see a coach doing this type behavior. I would probably agree with you if most coaches did it because I would think it was a put-on a fake act for attention. Pearl is a different type of coach who relates to his players he has their respect even while doing something that I would have done in college but would not do now. I have no problem with Pearl doing this as it is a natural act for him, it is part of his outgoing personality and it is one of the reasons his players love him and respect him as do most of us Auburn fans.

Look at the reaction of players and fans around him and see the comments on various message boards. Pearl is a one in a million type coach who can pull this off. 

Beautifully stated as usual, sir. 

If Bruce Pearl slapped my mom, i'd ask my mom what she did to upset the man. Go Bruce Pearl!!!

Edited by gravejd
  • Haha 9

On 10/10/2021 at 7:57 PM, TexasTiger said:

I’m mostly offended he didn’t drop a few pounds and paint AU on himself. Give us your all, Bruce. Like you did…them.😉

3261EC00-F65D-481F-9620-45548F86FA03.jpeg

He did bulk up though! 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with the OP opinion. I don't see it that way, though. Would this be acceptable behavior in the gym of a 5* recruit during a game to cheer his team on? Surely not. But there, at that particular football game, in that specific instance? I just wasn't surprised when I scrolled across it on Twitter. I smiled and thought, "Wow, these kids gotta love playing for him!" In my opinion it was the appropriate time for him to do something like that, but under other circumstances I probably would have thought differently.

I also don't see him "trying" to act like the kids at the expense of not being the adult in the room, though I get the point of the other poster. The product on the court indicates to me that he is absolutely respected by his players, he is their leader they trust completely, and these moments let them know he can relate to them and he loves being around them. You can't fake that with the players, they'd see right through him. He is absolutely what the basketball team needs and I'm so glad we have him!!! WDE!!!

• Like 2

I love the fact that our BB coach brings the energy and excitement to other sports. He loves this school and it shows. Anytime you have a coach with that enthusiasm and spark people will gravitate to them, especially young people. I say keep showing the love and keep doing what you are doing. Thanks for being such a great ambassador of our program! 

• Like 1

I look at this in terms of being a parent.  I can act and do things with, for and around my kids.  They still love and respect me because they understand who I am and what I’m about and what my values are.  They respect me.

A coaches relationship can be similar to that of a parent… particularly with a smaller group like you have with a bball team whose relationships can probably be a bit more intimate that say a head football coach.

bit like said before ..: this can’t be faked… kids will see through it if disingenuous.

Bruce has literally worked his ass off to lose a ton of poundage this year.  He looks great and wants to show off the new bod.  

Go Bruce!  WDE!

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I Loved it.  Very few high school kids are old fashioned, they wanna raise a little hell.

The next coach in line for a visit from the said recruit is really going to have to up his game for that WOW factor.

I love that AU coaches support their colleague's teams. That culture doesn't occur at every university. UT fans still talk about their desire to see him come back and to me, that is impact. Recently, I came across an article on UGA basketball's desire to find a "Bruce Pearl-like personality". Per the article, a Coach who can fire up the recruits, fan base, and donors. Bruce is definitely a one-man PR machine and not only for AU Basketball but for AU athletics, and AU. 

One of my nieces, who is an undergrad at Auburn, has stated many times that Bruce comes out to the student entrance and thanks them for their support.  One game in particular he was making his way down the line of students, shaking their hands and posing for pictures, and his administrative assistant kept nudging him to not be late for a meeting and he told her "these people are more important, they make us who we are". 

I have no doubt that Bruce can be a polarizing individual but I am grateful for what he has done for AU Basketball. Over the years, each sport the SEC hosts has been getting more competitive and I am glad we have him. Remember when SEC basketball was all UK and maybe a little blip from UF and then in the far far far distance was everyone else? UGA sees the need to upgrade their basketball game to keep up with peers, I am glad he is on our sideline, even shirtless and dancing, and not the competition. 

Edited by AU_Canoe
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

49 minutes ago, AU_Canoe said:

I love that AU coaches support their colleague's teams. That culture doesn't occur at every university. UT fans still talk about their desire to see him come back and to me, that is impact. Recently, I came across an article on UGA basketball's desire to find a "Bruce Pearl-like personality". Per the article, a Coach who can fire up the recruits, fan base, and donors. Bruce is definitely a one-man PR machine and not only for AU Basketball but for AU athletics, and AU. 

One of my nieces, who is an undergrad at Auburn, has stated many times that Bruce comes out to the student entrance and thanks them for their support.  One game in particular he was making his way down the line of students, shaking their hands and posing for pictures, and his administrative assistant kept nudging him to not be late for a meeting and he told her "these people are more important, they make us who we are". 

I have no doubt that Bruce can be a polarizing individual but I am grateful for what he has done for AU Basketball. Over the years, each sport the SEC hosts has been getting more competitive and I am glad we have him. Remember when SEC basketball was all UK and maybe a little blip from UF and then in the far far far distance was everyone else? UGA sees the need to upgrade their basketball game to keep up with peers, I am glad he is on our sideline, even shirtless and dancing, and not the competition. 

Great post Canoe ........................

56 minutes ago, AU_Canoe said:

One game in particular he was making his way down the line of students, shaking their hands and posing for pictures, and his administrative assistant kept nudging him to not be late for a meeting and he told her "these people are more important, they make us who we are". 

The cynic in me thinks this could have been a set up. But that's not criticism. It was genius if it was. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AU_Canoe said:

As long as Pearl only takes off his clothes ABOVE his waist, I'm good with it....

Everyone knows Pearl and his passion,,,so this type of emotion and energy should be normal for those that support Pearl...

11 hours ago, AU_Canoe said:

I agree. To me, the best part was that this was at a football game. He and his players were showing school spirit. I think that's great 🙂

13 hours ago, McLoofus said:

The cynic in me thinks this could have been a set up. But that's not criticism. It was genius if it was. 

The fact that he has been able to pull us out of the dungeon in spite of all that we have going against us right now?

Dude is a f'in genius.

I freaking love CBP.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 2
  • Love 2