Jeremiah Wright - Piece of Puzzle Next Season

toddc

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Haven't really heard much about him this spring.  Would be really nice if he could take over the LG spot

• Like 1

Need someone to step up at LG. Brahms can be ok if he's got good enough guards next to him. But Council was really bad last year after being pretty solid in 2020. Looked like he got really behind S/C wise plus played hurt. And now he's missed this offseason too. That's two in a row. 

• Like 1

Zierer, Wright, Brahms, Jones, Coffey

I love everything about Troxell, especially him being from North AL, but he needs to be 2nd team. Alec Jackson is a guard at best and not a right tackle. 

• Like 2

I think Coffey is more athletic than the other options at RT and now has the size and strength to go with it. We all would have liked to have gotten a transfer or two and a 4* HS recruit or two, but with our situation I doubt if anyone we could have landed would replace this fivesome in the starting lineup.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, autan said:

I think Coffey is more athletic than the other options at RT and now has the size and strength to go with it. We all would have liked to have gotten a transfer or two and a 4* HS recruit or two, but with our situation I doubt if anyone we could have landed would replace this fivesome in the starting lineup.

I like Coffey too, but he's a weird case. Alec Jackson is getting first team RT reps over him with Trox out. Not sure what the deal is because he is probably our best pass blocking tackle outside of Zierer. I'm guessing it's still strength. Still listed at under 300, while Z is now up to 315 or something. 

It would be great if Wright can win the LG spot as that means we would have at least two starters back next year with Jones being a Junior and maybe three as I think but am not sure that Zierer has a Covid year after this year. then if Smith, Langlo, Jernigan, Johnson and Harris are ready we should have a decent starting O-Line next year but we would be severely lacking in depth.  I wish we could get some news on how good  Smith, Langlo, Jernigan, and Johnson have been doing this spring.  To be honest I was hoping at least one of them was pushing for a starting position this year.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It would be great if Wright can win the LG spot as that means we would have at least two starters back next year with Jones being a Junior and maybe three as I think but am not sure that Zierer has a Covid year after this year. then if Smith, Langlo, Jernigan, Johnson and Harris are ready we should have a decent starting O-Line next year but we would be severely lacking in depth.  I wish we could get some news on how good  Smith, Langlo, Jernigan, and Johnson have been doing this spring.  To be honest I was hoping at least one of them was pushing for a starting position this year.

If 2023 season started tomorrow with no adds, my guess is the OL would be something like Smith, Langlo, Tate Johnson, Wright, Eston Harris. Maybe switch Langlo, Wright, and Harris around in any which way. 

Ideally you get a portal RT and C. Got C covered this year, but we need a portal RT for this fall. Trox can't stay healthy, and Jackson is repping with the ones. No way in hell they want to start him at RT. Need a guy with 2+ years because the HS guys we get won't be ready for 2 years most likely. Assuming we can't get one, let's hope that Trox can stay healthy or that Coffey can step up 

Edited by au302
  • Like 1
  • Dislike 1

16 hours ago, au302 said:

Not sure what the deal is because he is probably our best pass blocking tackle outside of Zierer. 

When did he show that? What games?

8 hours ago, au302 said:

If 2023 season started tomorrow with no adds, my guess is the OL would be something like Smith, Langlo, Tate Johnson, Wright, Eston Harris.

Zierer has another year unless we expect him to ball out.  He's still pretty new to football.

K Jones has another year too.  He's our best OL, but I'm not sure he's going to get selected in the top 3 rounds.

Hopefully Wright steps up and starts at a Guard....that could give us 3 returning OL in '23.  To you're point....

8 hours ago, au302 said:

Ideally you get a portal RT and C.

100%.  We need 2 or 3 guys that are ~Sophs and can come and hopefully compete for the a spot and get their feet wet in the system this year.  We still have a chance to get guys next offseason, but we probably need to show some improvement to have a chance.  I'm not sure this staff has enough reputation to just pull guys.

• Like 2