Vegas over/under on games won by Auburn: 5.5

homersapien

6 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Attack, attack, attack. You don't see Shorty on the other side of the state rushing 3. He brings corner, safety blitzes.  Twists , turns, stunts. Especially on 3rd down. 

You are spot on. Easier to do when you have elite speed at every position though. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Attack, attack, attack. You don't see Shorty on the other side of the state rushing 3. He brings corner, safety blitzes.  Twists , turns, stunts. Especially on 3rd down. 

So I know what you mean but there is a reason the NFL's base defense is  3-4 and the NFL is a passing league, SEC is increasingly passing league.  Thing is the 3-4 is just the base defense. You can do everything you just talked about with a 3-4 on the field.

Why Mason kept us base sets without showing different pressures, I have no idea but after listening to Schmedding he is still gonna run a 3-4 but its gonna be more like the iron bowl from what I can tell.

Schmedding is all about NFL defense so we will continue to run NFL schemes and fronts.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

You are spot on. Easier to do when you have elite speed at every position though. 

This.  The reason Saban can send pressure so much is because the guys covering on an island due to the blitz leaving them without help are 5* future NFL DBs and Safeties.

If you blitz every down you WILL get burnt for a play action TD unless you are bama. and even then Bama doessn't blitz every down.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Didba said:

So I know what you mean but there is a reason the NFL's base defense is  3-4 and the NFL is a passing league, SEC is increasingly passing league.  Thing is the 3-4 is just the base defense. You can do everything you just talked about with a 3-4 on the field.

Why Mason kept us base sets without showing different pressures, I have no idea but after listening to Schmedding he is still gonna run a 3-4 but its gonna be more like the iron bowl from what I can tell.

Schmedding is all about NFL defense so we will continue to run NFL schemes and fronts.

Nothing is more mind numbing than rushing 3 dropping 8 and having the other QB dink and dunk all the way down the field.

4 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Nothing is more mind numbing than rushing 3 dropping 8 and having the other QB dink and dunk all the way down the field.

Its pretty sound strategy unless the other QB is having a perfect night then it really really sucks

24 minutes ago, Didba said:

Its pretty sound strategy unless the other QB is having a perfect night then it really really sucks

It depends because a team like MSU who offense will take the dink and dunk will kill u. Unless u have rushers to speed them up to disrupt timing. The year Hawaii went to the sugar bowl they nickel and dime teams to death until they meet Georgia, who had elite rushers and just completely disrupted the offense.

Edited by e808

16 minutes ago, e808 said:

It depends because a team like MSU who offense will take the dink and dunk will kill u. Unless u have rushers to speed them up to disrupt timing. The year Hawaii went to the sugar bowl they nickel and dime teams to death until they meet Georgia, who had elite rushers and just completely disrupted the offense.

I agree with you to an extent.

IMO you cannot blitz a team like MSU unless you are like Bama and UGA with their elite rushers and DBs.  MSU's offense is designed to have the ball out of the QB's hands in 2-3 seconds or less, few teams have Dline and blitzers talented/elite enough to get to the QB in two seconds. 

Three teams in the SEC have the talent to straight up blitz MSU and it work. Bama, UGA and maybe A&M, though Aggie fans were telling me last year they tried to run Bama's defense against MSU and they didn't have the talent/speed.

I honestly believe if we had played man and blitzed a bunch against MSU, the first half would have looked as ugly as the second half.

10 minutes ago, Didba said:

IMO you cannot blitz a team like MSU unless you are like Bama and UGA with their elite rushers and DBs.  MSU's offense is designed to have the ball out of the QB's hands in 2-3 seconds or less, few teams have Dline and blitzers talented/elite enough to get to the QB in two seconds. 

Three teams in the SEC have the talent to straight up blitz MSU and it work. Bama, UGA and maybe A&M, though Aggie fans were telling me last year they tried to run Bama's defense against MSU and they didn't have the talent/speed.

I honestly believe if we had played man and blitzed a bunch against MSU, the first half would have looked as ugly as the second half.

I guess ideally minimizing their opportunities to get the ball is always a plus.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Didba said:

What's the answer? If u sit back and rush 3 they dink and dunk and complete 90% of their passes all the way down the field. I think u gotta hit the QB and make him uncomfortable.  Sure, he will complete some passes downfield. It's like  double edge sword

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What's the answer? If u sit back and rush 3 they dink and dunk and complete 90% of their passes all the way down the field. I think u gotta hit the QB and make him uncomfortable.  Sure, he will complete some passes downfield. It's like  double edge sword

I am with u on that. I would rather blitz and take my chances. Otherwise ur defense gonna be worn out like last year.

I guess the answer is  getting better recruits. In 2020 MSU was held in check and Auburn was able to hold that high powered LSU offense to the lowest point total of their season.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

The problem is you can't get to the QB on a two second drop even with a blitz and a good pass rush. so "hitting the QB and making him uncomfortable" is almost impossible to do. The offensive scheme is designed to negate pass rush unless you have straight up elite pass rushers.  Like Bama or UGA level.

The answer is to blanket the field with DBs and run deceptive combinations of zone and man to hopefully fool the QB into a misread and an easy interception. Mike Leach has just perfected it and been doing it forever so it's hard to fool his QBs.  Few teams run it as efficiently as Mike Leach with a QB perfect for his system.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, e808 said:

I am with u on that. I would rather blitz and take my chances. Otherwise ur defense gonna be worn out like last year.

I guess the answer is  getting better recruits. In 2020 MSU was held in check and Auburn was able to hold that high powered LSU offense to the lowest point total of their season.

Did we have DBrown in 2020 or was that 2019? Either way you can blitz all you want but it will get home like 10% of the time.  Dlineman are actually taught to just focus on blocking passing lanes against an air raid team because its almost pointless to pass rush against them at the high school level.

The key is either have Bama level talent on D all over the field and just play man up and blitz or play complex zones and try to force a mistake by their QB.

23 minutes ago, Didba said:

Did we have DBrown in 2020 or was that 2019? Either way you can blitz all you want but it will get home like 10% of the time.  Dlineman are actually taught to just focus on blocking passing lanes against an air raid team because its almost pointless to pass rush against them at the high school level.

The key is either have Bama level talent on D all over the field and just play man up and blitz or play complex zones and try to force a mistake by their QB.

D brown was 2019. I get what u saying. I just prefer to force to issue or at least jam at the line. I guess it’s easier said than done sitting on my couch. The LSU game Steele installed a 3-2-6. Probably was a lot easier to do with Brown and Davidson up front

• Love 1

On 6/19/2022 at 5:49 PM, Didba said:

I mean the development bit has already been proven true last year when we saw players improve over the course of the season.  Saying no development took place last season is disingenuous and really just a showing of bad faith.

Did you happen to see the last five games of the season last year, and the second half versus Alabama state?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, AU-24 said:

Did you happen to see the last five games of the season last year, and the second half versus Alabama state?

Player development does not always equal more wins especially the first year after an offensive system change.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

And unfortunately we had Smoke Monday at the backend, a poor cover safety. We're gonna have to hope that Jeff Schmedding is watching film like crazy and learning off of Mason's failures in the Penn and Mississippi State games.

I remember one play against PSU where we rushed 3 and they weren't even trying to get to Clifford. Just holding their blocks to contain. Clifford literally stood back there for 10 seconds minimum, and eventually found someone downfield for a huge gain. Just embarrassing. Gonna be hard for Schmed to make Clifford and Rodgers look as perfect as Mason did imo.

• Like 2

I prefer an in your face, press man defense. Realizing u can't do that all the time. But I've never understood on 3rd and 5, the WR don't get jammed and runs free on a slant route and gets the 1st down. That happens to more teams than just AU.. Curious to see Schmeddings overall style.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, e808 said:

D brown was 2019. I get what u saying. I just prefer to force to issue or at least jam at the line. I guess it’s easier said than done sitting on my couch. The LSU game Steele installed a 3-2-6. Probably was a lot easier to do with Brown and Davidson up front

I totally forget about Steele's 3-2-6... so good.

• Like 2

Page reminds me of how embarrassing/infuriating that MSU game was. 

Hard to believe we were 6-2 Halloween morning. I knew we lacked talent but I damn sure thought we would only lose one more game maybe two tops. 

This Penn State game is going to be so massive. I really hope Auburn shows up. The program needs it more than ever.