Lior Berman

toddc

• Like 4
  • Love 2

image.png.d27041477d5677de8185689515ca05a7.png

image.png.96cf97e270fe2bf2f03849edd4a06039.png

Coach Pearl was a guest on the baseball radio broadcast for most of the second inning yesterday. He spoke a good deal about Berman and the team's impending trip to Israel. It was interesting and informative.

• Like 2

Im not going to pretend to be some expert, but there were times I questioned if the team would have been better off playing Berman over Flan or Cambridge. Berman might not have been as good on defense and wasnt as athletic (off. Rebounds come to mind), but he could provide that much needed consistent outside threat and didnt turn the ball over as often. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, SumterAubie said:

I've no idea what this means. Did Berman graduate? Or just leave the team to play on the team mentioned above?

He's playing on a summer league team in Israel. He'll be back in class and on the AU team come fall.

• Thanks 1

Berman had one of the best shots on the team. Solid ball handler but not really an SEC PG type just not athletic enough to be a SG.  That said his hustle, shot and work ethic last year and he earned the minutes he got.  Working out with a summer league in Israel will only improve his game.  

He has gotten better every year he has been at Auburn and I would bet he has worked on  getting quicker and stronger this year and I would not be surprised to see him get even more PT this year. He understands the game. Defense was the area he was weakest in but he used his anticipation to hold his own if he is little quicker and stronger this year he might become a solid defender. He also has a knack for getting some rebounds by being in the right place at the right time. He will never be an elite player but he is capable of helping this team if used properly and we saw how Bruce used him last year.

Congratulation is due for making the Maccabi US Open team. 

• Like 2

On 6/4/2022 at 10:28 AM, KansasTiger said:

Im not going to pretend to be some expert, but there were times I questioned if the team would have been better off playing Berman over Flan or Cambridge. Berman might not have been as good on defense and wasnt as athletic (off. Rebounds come to mind), but he could provide that much needed consistent outside threat and didnt turn the ball over as often. 

You're not alone with that question. I trusted his 3 point shooting over anyone, other than Jabari of course. Lior had an injury at the wrong time and it's very difficult for a walkon to get back in the rotation after missing a lot of practice time.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2022 at 10:28 AM, KansasTiger said:

Lots of folks questioned it. At least with Lior you aren’t left in utter frustration with all the clanking shots we got from the other 2. 

• Like 2

Lior is a good kid.  He’ll never be more than a 2-4 minute a half guy.  He has to play at his limit while in the game.  His job is to give those minutes, pester his man physically and give a Couple useful assists or shots or rebounds.  I love the role he provided last year.

• 4 weeks later...

• Like 4

Our walk-ons got some juice to em. Berman is a bit higher than Cook on the totem pole, who was a bucket every time I saw him at the rec. would not be shocked to see Berman have a good career in the euro league if he wanted to continue ball after college 

• Like 3

This should give him a huge confidence boost for this season!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Playing in these games then in the Auburn games in Israel should sharpen his game.

49 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Playing in these games then in the Auburn games in Israel should sharpen his game.

He's doing both?!?

Wow

JERUSALEM, Israel – Auburn rising senior guard Lior Berman (Birmingham, Ala.) and the Maccabi USA Open Men's Basketball team defeated France, 81-70, to win the gold medal at the 2022 World Maccabi Games on Sunday at Malha Arena.

Berman recorded 11 points, four rebounds and three steals versus France. It marked his second gold medal after being a member of the 2017 Maccabi USA U16 squad. He started in five of the six games and tallied 13 points against Argentina, 21 points and six rebounds versus France, 13 points against Australia and 16 points versus Israel.

It was the fourth-straight Gold for Team USA since the 2009 Maccabi USA Open Men's Basketball squad, coached by Auburn Head Coach Bruce Pearl, beat Israel. His son Steven Pearl, an assistant coach at Auburn, was also a member of that team during his collegiate career at Tennessee.

The Tigers will face some members of the same Israel squad (U-20 National Team) that Berman faced in their opening game of the "Birthright for College Basketball" preseason foreign tour to Israel on Tuesday, Aug. 2 at Malha Arena in Jerusalem. The game will be televised live on SEC Network at Noon (CT).

• Thanks 1

Congrats to Lior on the great play! I thought he should have gotten more minutes this past season. Hope he can get and stay in the rotation a bit more this coming season. 

On 7/15/2022 at 9:04 PM, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Our walk-ons got some juice to em. Berman is a bit higher than Cook on the totem pole, who was a bucket every time I saw him at the rec. would not be shocked to see Berman have a good career in the euro league if he wanted to continue ball after college 

I wish people could all get to see the difference in talent as far as basketball goes. A walk on that doesn't get too much play is a super star against regular talent. I know when I was there I could sometimes go a week without losing a single game in the rec.....that's how good some of the players are. 

So imagine the talent of the actual stars of teams......that's why when a player like this guy can get so many people saying I don't know why he didn't play more.....because the truth is there's a very big gap as far as talent goes. 

• Facepalm 1