2023 3* QB Jaxon Smolik

Zeek

Need to move quickly on this guy. Get him to big cat and get him in the boat. Too bad that probably won't happen. Hope like hell it does, but not expecting it 

• Like 1

The reason he only played 4 games was due to injury. Don’t know what the injury was. Only played 4 games and still ended up with D1 offers.... damn that’s good

• Like 3

Smolik finished 8th at Elite 11. Brock Glenn was 9th. If he gets a 4th star the Bigs will snatch him away from Tulane.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, autan said:

Smolik finished 8th at Elite 11. Brock Glenn was 9th. If he gets a 4th star the Bigs will snatch him away from Tulane.

I don’t even think it’s about that 4th star. It looks like it’s only a matter of time before Smolik decommits. If Auburn offers then the floodgates gone open

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

I don’t even think it’s about that 4th star. It looks like it’s only a matter of time before Smolik decommits. If Auburn offers then the floodgates gone open

Per the usual

• Like 2

7 hours ago, autan said:

Tulane is excellent University.  Maybe not so much in athletics but definitely as a learning institution. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Tulane is excellent University.  Maybe not so much in athletics but definitely as a learning institution. 

There is no denying that. However, if athletes selected colleges because of their academics, the Ivy League schools would have a bunch of national football championship plaques in their trophy cases. If more prominent football schools offer it's very unlikely that Tulane can keep him.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mikey said:

There is no denying that. However, if athletes selected colleges because of their academics, the Ivy League schools would have a bunch of national football championship plaques in their trophy cases. If more prominent football schools offer it's very unlikely that Tulane can keep him.

I agree that those situations (good athletes choosing their destination based on academics) don’t happen as the norm, but do occur. Just raised the issue as he is/was pretty much under the radar type that has already chose Tulane.

I have to give this staff an A for effort in trying to find a QB in this class. 1st Vizzina, then Brock, now this young man. They were one of the 1st big name schools on Brock and now this young man.  They are working hard but that doesn't count for anything if they don't sign one of them.  They need to get him on campus sooner then later to have a chance. One thing that would not surprise me is if he if he is the type of person who once he commits honors that commitment and stays with Tulane. Academics could be important and he may be realistic enough to know he is very good but won't ever be a Pro QB so getting the right education is more important for the future.

I am old school and if one of my boys had been good enough to get athletic scholarship offers I would have told that boy to choose carefully but once you choose stick by that choice unless something changed like coaching change or going to an offense that did not fit his game.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

12 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Nah. Too humid.

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Nah. Too humid.

Stay out of the French Quarter strip joints and that won't be a problem.

5 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Stay out of the French Quarter strip joints and that won't be a problem.

Isn’t that Bourbon Street during Mardi Gras & Sugar Bowls?

After watching a little film, in my amateur opinion that is likely wrong, this guy seems less athletic than Glenn, but better zip on his ball. I have no clue who to project as the better prospect, but I will say that I don't think there's a huge drop-off or anything between the two right now. Smolik also has very limited experience, which is both worrisome and super intriguing at the same time.

But with our '23 QB possibly being a depth guy between Geriner and hopefully Air Noland, I wouldn't mind a raw but high upside guy like this dude. Depth guy sounds horrible, but it's not. Harsin is super picky and will only bring in a guy if he thinks he can play in the SEC

download.jpg   Tell me he doesn't remind you of DJ Qualls (Road Trip, New Guy)

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:

He was very good in "The Man in the High Castle" he was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma at a early age

• Thanks 1

On 7/15/2022 at 12:52 PM, augolf1716 said:

He was very good in "The Man in the High Castle" he was diagnosed with Hodgkin lymphoma at a early age

Dang that sucks.  I didn't know that about him.  

• Like 1

On 7/13/2022 at 10:56 AM, AuburnNTexas said:

I have to give this staff an A for effort in trying to find a QB in this class. 1st Vizzina, then Brock, now this young man. They were one of the 1st big name schools on Brock and now this young man.  They are working hard but that doesn't count for anything if they don't sign one of them.  They need to get him on campus sooner then later to have a chance. One thing that would not surprise me is if he if he is the type of person who once he commits honors that commitment and stays with Tulane. Academics could be important and he may be realistic enough to know he is very good but won't ever be a Pro QB so getting the right education is more important for the future.

I am old school and if one of my boys had been good enough to get athletic scholarship offers I would have told that boy to choose carefully but once you choose stick by that choice unless something changed like coaching change or going to an offense that did not fit his game.

Forcing a kid to stick to a C tier school when A or S tiers start to offer is insane. 

Especially when those better offers only happen because if happenstance. If the last kid in doesn't drop from the elite11, even with a good senior year he still probably doesn't get the interest he does now. 

I'm today's world, if you are a dime a dozen 3* recruit, if you do not committ early you can easily have an offer rescinded when others make the commitment. 

1 hour ago, GunsmithAU said:

Forcing a kid to stick to a C tier school when A or S tiers start to offer is insane. 

Especially when those better offers only happen because if happenstance. If the last kid in doesn't drop from the elite11, even with a good senior year he still probably doesn't get the interest he does now. 

I'm today's world, if you are a dime a dozen 3* recruit, if you do not committ early you can easily have an offer rescinded when others make the commitment. 

I didn't say force him I said he might be the type of person that once he commits he honors it.  I said if I had a son good enough to have a chance to play college ball. I would want him to be sure before he commits then once he commits stick to it.  He might feel differently then I do and that is fine. I also said if there was a change at the school that the player had committed to like a new system or coach that didn't fit the players style it would be a reason to change schools.

As I said I am old school and you honor commitments but I understand in Todays world schools and players don't and that is fine each person has to live by their own standards on things like that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

Offers are not binding , why in the world should we expect commitments to be?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I didn't say force him I said he might be the type of person that once he commits he honors it.  I said if I had a son good enough to have a chance to play college ball. I would want him to be sure before he commits then once he commits stick to it.  He might feel differently then I do and that is fine. I also said if there was a change at the school that the player had committed to like a new system or coach that didn't fit the players style it would be a reason to change schools.

As I said I am old school and you honor commitments but I understand in Todays world schools and players don't and that is fine each person has to live by their own standards on things like that.

I like your idea in theory, but this is a guy who has very limited experience due to an injury. Nobody knew who he was until this last minute elite 11 invite and performance. Tulane was probably more than he expected at the time. Now he's a rising commodity. Unfortunately schools aren't loyal either. They drop, process, etc. Thus hard for me to say the players should be either

• Like 3

On 7/15/2022 at 11:53 AM, kennypowers said:

Literally was going to post this same thing lmao

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Pretty good evaluation by our coaches I guess.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, toddc said:

Pretty good evaluation by our coaches I guess.

Just hope we go after him. Seems like we're aware of him but not pushing. Even with Geriner and Posse you can never have enough, and I hate to possibly skip a year. This guy would be perfect for that imo

• Like 2