Jake Crain bringing the heat

RunInRed

14 minutes ago, cbo said:

I've seen more complaining about "I told you so's" than actual "I told you so's."

I've seen "you guys must be so happy now that you were right." Which is absurd. Everybody wanted Auburn to win. 

I've also seen people who were condescending for half a year about how "Harsin will prove you wrong," very quickly shift to "it doesn't matter who's wrong or right." Funny stuff. 

This.

• Like 1

I didn't like the sound of the hire when it was made, but like many, Harsin's initial remarks had me hopeful. But when it became clear recruiting wasn't a priority with him and then the firing of coaches began, I feared we had made a mistake. I don't really consider an "I told you so". College football has become such a different game, I can't be happy when things aren't working out because I've seen so many other programs like Tennessee, FSU, Arkansas, Texas struggle to get into any semblance of normalcy and although I really didn't like Auburn football under Gus, up until the last few years we were at least competitive. 

Not all of this is Harsin's fault. Gus was a poor evaluator and was not good at building a roster, despite his high recruiting rankings. Any coach that comes into Auburn is going to have to deal with a sub-SEC offensive line, depth issues across the board and a lack of playmakers at key positions. We are in the position of really needing a program builder, and Harsin sold that well... but if you don't prioritize recruiting, you might as well not be talking at all. Other than his initial introduction, he didn't really sell himself to the fans, obviously not the PTB and tried to run a walled in Saban-esque ship with none of the strategic relationship building that Saban made his name on. 

Taking the Auburn job means you are fighting with the top two programs in the country on and off the field from day one. You're sharing the state with a legendary coach who has a machine already built to perfection. It probably is the toughest coaching job in college football. But if we can stop trying to "find our Saban", get someone in who is high energy, can excite the fanbase and build a roster, I don't think it will take forever to get back to where we're accustomed to being. 

18 minutes ago, cbo said:

I've seen more complaining about "I told you so's" than actual "I told you so's."

I've seen "you guys must be so happy now that you were right." Which is absurd. Everybody wanted Auburn to win. 

I've also seen people who were condescending for half a year about how "Harsin will prove you wrong," very quickly shift to "it doesn't matter who's wrong or right." Funny stuff. 

Here's the thing. There are plenty on here that weren't fans of Harsin, however most would post their feelings, and those were all viable. One thing they didn't do that a "few" did, and let me reiterate, a few, is they were the first to post with a sky is falling mentality on every single thing, and with the added sarcasm that came off as wanting to see someone fail, it got annoying and turned into back and forth after back and forth. Which is one reason I and others didn't frequent this board as much, and why some still haven't returned. Also the fact that those same posters post counts tripled at the tail end of last season, creating threads hashing short comings, etc. When certain people defend and defend for 8 years and won't let a guy get into his second season without the constant bashing it gets annoying. However, I think many of us after Saturday see that the writing is on the wall and that it is only a matter of time.

Edited by Maverick.AU
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, DAG said:

Yes and he failed in that retrospect of getting us ready. You cannot win at any level without quality line play from borne sides. You have to prioritize that big time.

For whatever reason , this coaching staff did not have the skill set to relate to these young men across the spectrum. People like to bitch and whine about Dabo, NS and CKS, exclaiming they are not good coaches, only good recruiters. That is silly. It takes a special person to not only lead young men form various backgrounds to your program but also help them achieve their very best. 

I've been saying this for a while. You can't win football games without upfront help it's the bloodline of CFB without good offense lineman you get what happened to Bo and now TJ and Robby. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cbo said:

Yea it’s not about the being right about Harsin for me. It’s how the people that dared to highlight his issues were treated. We were called negative, Gus sympathizers, Harsin haters, anti Auburn, etc. When the truth is, we all wanted Auburn to succeed. Some of us just saw the writing on the wall. So I’m chest pounding a little bit, because the forum know it alls we’re wrong again. So to all you people out there who trashed us. I got two words for ya!😂

image.gif.f2e066948be45fa655d536b618a565c0.gif

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Here's the thing. There are plenty on here that weren't fans of Harsin, however most would post their feelings, and those were all viable. One thing they didn't do that a "few" did, and let me reiterate, a few, is they were the first to post with a sky is falling mentality on every single thing, and with the added sarcasm that came off as wanting to see someone fail, it got annoying and turned into back and forth after back and forth. Which is one reason I and others didn't frequent this board as much, and why some still haven't returned. Also the fact that those same posters post counts tripled at the tail end of last season, creating threads hashing short comings, etc. When certain people defend and defend for 8 years and won't let a guy get into his second season without the constant bashing it gets annoying. However, I think many of us after Saturday see that the writing is on the wall and that it is only a matter of time.

Completely fair. Everyone is different and there are levels to any group. I was responding to someone who said only one person gets a pass. Seemed like a weird comment to me. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

The truth of the matter is some people just don’t mess with each other . Man that’s okay. We could win 3 NCs at Auburn and some people aren’t going to jive. That’s totally fine. There is too many extremes on this crap . Me and @e808 went at it hard core when CBH got hired. He stuck to his guns and I did until last weekend. We are still cool. Some of these people aren’t going to ever get along even when things are going right. It is what it is.

Now the next thing we will argue about is who is the right coach. Been that way since 2010. The problem I have is re-hashing the same arguments in every thread. I think that is a major reason a lot of people left. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

I've been saying this for a while. You can't win football games without upfront help it's the bloodline of CFB without good offense lineman you get what happened to Bo and now TJ and Robby. 

and Joe Burrow , can’t forget about him haha . Did you see that Cincy game? Bro was done. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

You don’t get to being a freaking head coach at an SEC program without work ethic. Come on man?

I don’t care who you are. You might fail at this level but to get to this point you have had to work your ass off. 

Truth. No matter what yes he failed but somewhere along the line he has worked his ass off he didn't just get lucky and win at Bosie you still have to work at it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

I mean… you really believe that? We had a head coach (Tubberville) who famously wouldn’t go the extra mile in recruiting, and it ended in his demise when Saban arrived.

Does CBH work hard in relation to the average lay person? Absolutely. But that doesn’t matter. The question is does he work hard in relation to Kirby Smart and Nick Saban? Does he put in the hard work required by this specific job? It doesn’t appear so. 

Bro stop that's not what he was saying and you know it. Good God dude you would argue with a brick wall. 🙄😒

• Haha 1

Just now, The Colonel said:

so the Craine is even saying Sweep the Leg!  

Crane has been on Harsin’s a** since Corn was canned. Pun intended….

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, autiger88 said:

Bro stop that's not what he was saying and you know it. Good God dude you would argue with a brick wall. 🙄😒

Yeah we cleared it up. Lol. That wasn’t my intention . My point was the blanket statements I tend to see. He failed badly in the SEC. This does not indicate he will be a failure as a coach. He just failed at this level. It is what it is. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah we cleared it up. Lol. That wasn’t my intention . My point was the blanket statements I tend to see. He failed badly in the SEC. This does not indicate he will be a failure as a coach. He just failed at this level. It is what it is. 

I know y'all did but he gets on my nerves picking at somebody for the smallest detail knowing or atleast he should know that's not what you or anybody meant.  Sorry I got involved just couldn't stand it. 🤣

Edited by autiger88
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

The truth of the matter is some people just don’t mess with each other . Man that’s okay. We could win 3 NCs at Auburn and some people aren’t going to jive. That’s totally fine. There is too many extremes on this crap . Me and @e808 went at it hard core when CBH got hired. He stuck to his guns and I did until last weekend. We are still cool. Some of these people aren’t going to ever get along even when things are going right. It is what it is. Now the next thing we will argue about is who is the right coach. Been that way since 2010. 

We do agree on Hugh Freeze

8 minutes ago, DAG said:

and Joe Burrow , can’t forget about him haha . Did you see that Cincy game? Bro was done. 

Yeah I did and I feel bad for Cincy right now but I think they will be fine. It's early for them. 

2 hours ago, bigbird said:

Oh, you're one of those guys. Thanks for the heads up 

You're right, he ran a clean program and was an excellent ambassador for Auburn.  He, however, was an average head coach.  

As far as recruiting goes, he was and he wasn't.  Go back and see how many of his classes were all smoke and mirrors.  Sure, they were highly ranked, but they rarely filled the need of the roster.  That's not a good because it hurts more than it helps by unbalancing your roster and having to play catch-up at certain positions.

If you say yourself he was an average head coach, how do you call him an abject failure?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Yep and it got annoying a lot of times especially on topics that it didn't make a lick of sense to be downing the coach but I digress on that it is what is now. 

1 minute ago, zeroforwinger said:

If you say yourself he was an average head coach, how do you call him an abject failure?

Because I judge coaching on W/L, program stability, and recruiting.  IMO, with what he had to work with, he failed in all three areas 

• Like 1

I was very patient with CBH. Last year, with more proven coaches, we showed glimpses of improvement than with Malzahn. I loved that we weren't going 3 and out over and over. I liked that we could take time off the clock and keep our defense fresh. We played Georgia fairly well (considering how other teams played them), and we came very close to beating Alabama (with TJ Finley!). 

Fast forward to the off season... We lose our OC and DC... replaced with CBH's friends of Boise.. Bo Nix leaves..  and we fail to bring in quality OL transfers (or recruits). We needed a lot of help at the OL, and didn't get much. 

Now were are in a new season.. our OL is bad. Our receivers aren't running quality routes (IMO). We don't have a QB that can win the big games. We failed to take advantage of Penn State pinning their ears back. Barely any screens to the RBs.. no quick passes.. we did absolutely nothing to make Penn State pay for their defensive scheme. Horrible play calling. Horrible misuse of our talent at RB. Laziness from a blocking standpoint by our TEs and receivers. I saw so many times (this Saturday) where once the ball carrier passed one of our players.. they quit. No downfield running to help.

Go to the defense.. Our defensive backs act like they don't even have the ability to turn around and defend the pass. Not getting much push on the line. LBs out of place - not reading the play very well.. 

Huge drop off from a scheme/playcalling standpoint on both sides of the ball. Recruiting is not good enough to be in the top half of the league. 

We bring in Calzada and apparently he sucks so bad that even TJ Finley and Ashford beat him out. 

Just a lot of bad bad bad.. recruiting may be the worse of it all. 

We need a big hire - or I am afraid we are in for a Tennessee like depression.

16 minutes ago, DAG said:

The truth of the matter is some people just don’t mess with each other . Man that’s okay. We could win 3 NCs at Auburn and some people aren’t going to jive. That’s totally fine. There is too many extremes on this crap . Me and @e808 went at it hard core when CBH got hired. He stuck to his guns and I did until last weekend. We are still cool. Some of these people aren’t going to ever get along even when things are going right. It is what it is.

Now the next thing we will argue about is who is the right coach. Been that way since 2010. The problem I have is re-hashing the same arguments in every thread. I think that is a major reason a lot of people left. 

All I want is for Auburn to win and be better off. That's it nothing more nothing less lol 

This dude is lost. 

https://auburn.rivals.com/news/bryan-harsin-done-some-really-good-things-in-practice-auburn-football

Bryan Harsin on what Auburn is doing well this season... “All the prep and all the things that we've been doing, I think there's some really good things that we've done.

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Because I judge coaching on W/L, program stability, and recruiting.  IMO, with what he had to work with, he failed in all three areas 

What? That's how you determine if a coach is successful I would have never guessed that.