do we cover caddy in the new hire?

aubiefifty

Auburn is not a “university of” school. Georgia, ala, ect. The “big boy pants” crowd always go nuts on this and will throw out counter examples why it doesn’t matter. But it is what it is. It’s denying gravity exists.  We can’t out-Georgia being Georgia. But we can out-Auburn them. And it can win. Saturday nights game is the road map. Even in a NIL/NFL money is king world - fun, passion  and loyalty is a brand and differentiator that can also help dominate. In recruiting and games. Pearl has learned better than anyone how to weaponize it.

It’s fair that caddy creates a handcuffs issue for any new coach. I get it. And I still don’t give a damn. Figure it out, a unique role if necessary. Because while the new coach may be brilliant and can align and execute a great program, imo caddy has reminded us of the fire that makes AU AU - and how we can kick rear with it.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 2

caddy is parents ace in the hole that their kids will be treated right. no one has stopped to think of all the kids that maybe were mistreated and left the team auburn has an investigation and harsin was found innocent? i am not sure but i think auburn dropped the ball in their investigation and i would bet my butt against third base there are parents poor mouthing us and i can only imagine it is just another issue recruiters can bring up. it is a very dirty business and folks will use any edge they can get to out recruit us.

I apologize for the long post in advance, I always have too much to say it seems!  Assuming Caddy is not hired as the next head coach at Auburn, I see absolutely nothing wrong with Auburn putting a non-negotiable clause in the new head coach's contract that requires Coach Caddy to be retained.  This would need to specify that his salary and position on the staff has to be equal-to or better-than what he got under Harsin, and this requirement should be communicated to each and every one of the serious contenders for the job from the very start! You have to keep in mind that this particular situation is more unique than most, as the interim head coach is a native Alabamian and Auburn graduate that is very beloved across most of the entire state of Alabama and large portions of Florida from his time as a Buc. Carnell "Cadillac" Williams is a highly-accomplished former student-athlete at Auburn, universally considered among the top 3 running backs to EVER wear an Auburn jersey and an Auburn Football record holder many times over.  His Auburn statistics and records are pretty incredible, particularly so when you consider that he missed almost half of BOTH of his first two years at Auburn in 2001 and 2002 due to season-ending injuries, and then had to share the backfield when he came back in 2003 with another top-5 NFL draft pick in RB Ronnie Brown AND another future NFL draft pick in RB Brandon Jacobs.  Caddy was an integral part of the undefeated 2004 team that should have played for a national championship, a year in which he was both a first team All-American AND 1st Team All-SEC.  Coach Caddy currently ranks as the #1 all-time leader in rushing touchdowns at Auburn as well as #1 in career rushing attempts, #1 in number of plays from scrimmage, and #2 all-time in both career rushing yards and career total yards from the line of scrimmage behind only Bo Jackson!  In addition to the numerous records he holds, Coach Caddy is considered a true Christian and "Auburn Man" by virtually everyone at Auburn that knows him, he is an Auburn graduate, a former top-5 draft pick, a former NFL player who won "Rookie of The Year" in the first year of his 7 year career in the NFL, and a man that has rightfully earned a reputation as a superb RB coach, a players' coach that is loved by his team, and one of the best recruiters of talent in the SEC in just 4 short years since he was hired as part of Gus Malzhan's staff 2019.  This guy was already a VERY important and valuable man for both the football program AND the entire university in many ways even BEFORE he was the RB coach or the interim head coach.  Carnell has further increased his importance and value to Auburn many times over in just the last 3 weeks alone.  You could very easily argue that naming him the interim head coach 3 weeks ago has completely changed the national narrative about both the Auburn football program and Auburn University.  The near-constant negative press that the Auburn Football Program has been getting for the last 4 or 5 years has almost completely stopped, and we are now seeing quite a few local, regional, and national news stories and editorials that are very positive about both Coach Caddy and the Auburn Football program as a whole.  You don't have to have a great memory to remember the countless negative things that have been said and written about this program on the TV, radio, and internet.  When Gus Malzhan was fired, the vast majority of sportswriters across the country labeled the Auburn Head Football Coach job as a terrible place to coach football, where good coaches are shown little patience then chewed up and spit-out , where un-named rich and powerful boosters like to meddle and cause conflict within the program, where the fans are unrealistic in their expectations, and a program where it is impossible to win consistently because it shares the state with Alabama and it is in close proximity to UGA.  I have not seen anyone saying those very negative things about the job thus-far, rather most of the stories I have read are very positive and are most certainly a result of the amazing coverage Auburn football received on Saturday by the SEC network. Most pundits are now calling it a top destination for coaches, where everything you need to build a program that can compete for conference and national championships on a yearly basis is already in-place and the position comes with a huge salary to match these huge expectations.  Just as whoever is hired will have some non-negotiable clauses added to the contract for things that they require, Auburn is just as free to have specific requirements put in the contract as well.  This can be anything for either side, ranging from important things like compensation, term length, performance clauses that trigger additional compensation, buyout terms, and staff salary requirements, to smaller insignificant stuff like dedicated parking spots and memberships at local country clubs and golf courses, etc.  I don't think having a "Caddy-clause" in the head coaching contract at Auburn will scare off any of the coaches rumored to be in consideration.  Honestly, given everything that Coach Caddy means to Auburn Football and the Auburn family (which I have thoroughly laid out above....LOL), we should not even consider any head coach candidate that has a problem with keeping Caddy on staff to some degree.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless the next head coach seriously misreads the room, Caddy will get an interview.  He recruits well, players love him, his RBs produce, and he knows the environment.  Caddy is obviously a valuable asset.  Aside from that, no sane coach wants to kick off their tenure by firing an Auburn legend.

There is no need to make demands, or put retaining Caddy in the contract, his work speaks for itself.

• Like 3

If the PTB at Auburn tell the new coaching hire that he has to retain Caddy on his staff, I'll be very pissed. I love Caddy but Auburn has got to allow the new coach to have full autonomy. The new coach may look at Caddy like we all do the backup QB; when things get a little sideways and we struggle a bit, the fans will be calling for Auburn to fire the new HC and give the job to Caddy. That's why the backup QB is always the favorite amongst fans.

Auburn HAS to get this hire right or we are in big trouble and fall further behind. Cohen stated that he has 58 checkpoints to go over with each HC candidate. That means whoever gets the job will have really impressed Cohen in every facet of the game and his personal life. A coach that checks that many boxes deserves to make his own decisions, especially who he wants for a staff.

• Like 4

On 11/14/2022 at 8:34 AM, aubiefifty said:

i would love there to be guarantees he will not be kicked to the curb with the new hire. we were so down and he gave us hope. i am not sure we bought in so much since we hired dye. i think it would be a bad look for us to allow caddy to leave after he pretty much resurrected our program. plus he can recruit and he genuinely loves auburn. i do not think auburn would let him get away. i wonder how many kids caddy talked out of leaving when harsin was spewing his poison. and i still think harsin thinks southerners are stupid as hell.

When Caddy was first mentioned as the potential hc hire I dismissed the thought, not even thinking twice.  Today, after a few days of reconsidering, I adamantly support Caddy as the next hc of AU.  Caddy IS AU, through and through.  We are all probably groomed to think of the coach's resume', at least I am, but I want Caddy representing AU on and off the field.  Caddy will bring life to the AU program that no other candidate could.  I want him to be the one to lead AU in making men out of high schoolers.

Forget LK, HF and whoever else may have been seriously considered.

CADDY FOR COACH !!!

WDE !!!

• Love 2
  • Facepalm 2

On 11/17/2022 at 1:21 AM, TeamZero77 said:

If the PTB at Auburn tell the new coaching hire that he has to retain Caddy on his staff, I'll be very pissed. I love Caddy but Auburn has got to allow the new coach to have full autonomy. The new coach may look at Caddy like we all do the backup QB; when things get a little sideways and we struggle a bit, the fans will be calling for Auburn to fire the new HC and give the job to Caddy. That's why the backup QB is always the favorite amongst fans.

Auburn HAS to get this hire right or we are in big trouble and fall further behind. Cohen stated that he has 58 checkpoints to go over with each HC candidate. That means whoever gets the job will have really impressed Cohen in every facet of the game and his personal life. A coach that checks that many boxes deserves to make his own decisions, especially who he wants for a staff.

are you serious clark? one of cohens questions is do you eat brown M&M's?

Best thing for Caddy and his career is to use this interim experience and leverage it into a HC position outside of Auburn. Not what a lot of fans want but this would help him the most in the long run. 

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

On 11/16/2022 at 10:09 PM, BHDAU1 said:

I apologize for the long post in advance, I always have too much to say it seems!  Assuming Caddy is not hired as the next head coach at Auburn, I see absolutely nothing wrong with Auburn putting a non-negotiable clause in the new head coach's contract that requires Coach Caddy to be retained.  This would need to specify that his salary and position on the staff has to be equal-to or better-than what he got under Harsin, and this requirement should be communicated to each and every one of the serious contenders for the job from the very start! You have to keep in mind that this particular situation is more unique than most, as the interim head coach is a native Alabamian and Auburn graduate that is very beloved across most of the entire state of Alabama and large portions of Florida from his time as a Buc. Carnell "Cadillac" Williams is a highly-accomplished former student-athlete at Auburn, universally considered among the top 3 running backs to EVER wear an Auburn jersey and an Auburn Football record holder many times over.  His Auburn statistics and records are pretty incredible, particularly so when you consider that he missed almost half of BOTH of his first two years at Auburn in 2001 and 2002 due to season-ending injuries, and then had to share the backfield when he came back in 2003 with another top-5 NFL draft pick in RB Ronnie Brown AND another future NFL draft pick in RB Brandon Jacobs.  Caddy was an integral part of the undefeated 2004 team that should have played for a national championship, a year in which he was both a first team All-American AND 1st Team All-SEC.  Coach Caddy currently ranks as the #1 all-time leader in rushing touchdowns at Auburn as well as #1 in career rushing attempts, #1 in number of plays from scrimmage, and #2 all-time in both career rushing yards and career total yards from the line of scrimmage behind only Bo Jackson!  In addition to the numerous records he holds, Coach Caddy is considered a true Christian and "Auburn Man" by virtually everyone at Auburn that knows him, he is an Auburn graduate, a former top-5 draft pick, a former NFL player who won "Rookie of The Year" in the first year of his 7 year career in the NFL, and a man that has rightfully earned a reputation as a superb RB coach, a players' coach that is loved by his team, and one of the best recruiters of talent in the SEC in just 4 short years since he was hired as part of Gus Malzhan's staff 2019.  This guy was already a VERY important and valuable man for both the football program AND the entire university in many ways even BEFORE he was the RB coach or the interim head coach.  Carnell has further increased his importance and value to Auburn many times over in just the last 3 weeks alone.  You could very easily argue that naming him the interim head coach 3 weeks ago has completely changed the national narrative about both the Auburn football program and Auburn University.  The near-constant negative press that the Auburn Football Program has been getting for the last 4 or 5 years has almost completely stopped, and we are now seeing quite a few local, regional, and national news stories and editorials that are very positive about both Coach Caddy and the Auburn Football program as a whole.  You don't have to have a great memory to remember the countless negative things that have been said and written about this program on the TV, radio, and internet.  When Gus Malzhan was fired, the vast majority of sportswriters across the country labeled the Auburn Head Football Coach job as a terrible place to coach football, where good coaches are shown little patience then chewed up and spit-out , where un-named rich and powerful boosters like to meddle and cause conflict within the program, where the fans are unrealistic in their expectations, and a program where it is impossible to win consistently because it shares the state with Alabama and it is in close proximity to UGA.  I have not seen anyone saying those very negative things about the job thus-far, rather most of the stories I have read are very positive and are most certainly a result of the amazing coverage Auburn football received on Saturday by the SEC network. Most pundits are now calling it a top destination for coaches, where everything you need to build a program that can compete for conference and national championships on a yearly basis is already in-place and the position comes with a huge salary to match these huge expectations.  Just as whoever is hired will have some non-negotiable clauses added to the contract for things that they require, Auburn is just as free to have specific requirements put in the contract as well.  This can be anything for either side, ranging from important things like compensation, term length, performance clauses that trigger additional compensation, buyout terms, and staff salary requirements, to smaller insignificant stuff like dedicated parking spots and memberships at local country clubs and golf courses, etc.  I don't think having a "Caddy-clause" in the head coaching contract at Auburn will scare off any of the coaches rumored to be in consideration.  Honestly, given everything that Coach Caddy means to Auburn Football and the Auburn family (which I have thoroughly laid out above....LOL), we should not even consider any head coach candidate that has a problem with keeping Caddy on staff to some degree.

Don't apologize for a long post. Apologize to your [Enter] key for abandoning him.

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2022 at 1:06 AM, autan said:

I can't think of a case where the interim coach was retained by the incoming coach although I would I would think it has happened a few times….

Luke Fickell

17 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

Tubbs is either, dumber than we thought or doing a solid for his former player. Probably the latter. 

On 11/23/2022 at 5:49 PM, Mims44 said:

Don't apologize for a long post. Apologize to your [Enter] key for abandoning him.

Oof, that’s impossible to read. 

On 11/23/2022 at 5:49 PM, Mims44 said:

I had an anxiety attack just looking at the wall of text.

• Love 1

3 hours ago, Didba said:

Caddy is covered. Will be retained. 

I hope you’re right. We just flipped a 4 star DE from LSU today and if I’m not mistaken, I believe we got another good one a week ago, obviously through no help from Harsin. I love watching Caddy coach. He’s humble and knows and truly realizes he is in a position he was not prepared for. He’s run with it and it’s truly due to his love for AU. I am definitely not against giving him a chance to be full HC, but if he is not retained on staff, if not getting the job, I believe that borders on a complete travesty. I would also take a VERY LONG look at what Trovon Reed has done for recruiting. AU needs all the help it can get at this point. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

We just flipped a 4 star DE from LSU today and if I’m not mistaken, I believe we got another good one a week ago, obviously through no help from Harsin.

Perhaps this means we’ve already locked someone in place.

Find a good coach and let him run his own show. 

No diktats. 

No caveats.

Funny (and sad) that we have yet to figure out this simple winning formula.