SIAP Auburnundercover article "Meyer Connection"

WDE!

Phillip's blog: The Urban Meyer connection

Phillip Marshall, Senior Editor

50 minutes ago

Comments:19Add a comment14

ShareIt is becoming increasingly clear that Florida coach Urban Meyer is a central player in the controversy that surrounds Auburn quarterback Cam Newton.

Phillip Marshall, Senior Editor, AuburnUndercover.comJohn Bond, who was quoted by ESPN.com saying that he was approached by former teammate Kenny Rogers about getting money in exchange for delivering Newton to Mississippi State last December, has told people close to him a startling story.

Here is gist of it as told by Bond:

Bond was on a three-way telephone call with Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen and Meyer to discuss the situation. Both Mullen and Bond said that they believed the matter was closed. They had done what they were supposed to do, passed it on to the league office, and nothing else needed to be said.

But Meyer strongly disagreed, saying it needed to be public and that he was going to call The New York Times. Meyer and Pete Thamel, the reporter who wrote the story for The New York Times, are close friends.

A source close to Bond told AuburnUndercover.com that Bond talked to ESPN.com reporters only after it became obvious the story was going to break and that he is distressed about the reaction, particularly the attacks on Newton’s character.

Meyer, Bond has said privately, “is behind the whole thing.”

Newton spent two seasons at Florida, playing for Meyer and for Mullen, who was then Florida’s offensive coordinator.

As Newton has become a superstar and the leading candidate for the Heisman Trophy, Meyer has faced questions about letting him get away. Within hours of the ESPN story breaking Thursday, columnists in Florida were writing that it was a good thing Newton left.

Meyer is expected to deny any involvement, perhaps as early as this afternoon.

“If he does, he’s telling an outright lie,” the source said.

So there you have it.

Meyer’s involvement doesn’t shed any light on what did or didn’t happen, but it certainly is a strange twist to a strange story.

What’s most telling about where Newton and Auburn stand is the fact that, not only is Newton eligible, but head coach Gene Chizik and athletics director Jay Jacobs are forcefully saying he’s eligible.

Here’s something people need to know:

Rich McGlynn, Auburn’s senior associate athletics director for compliance, is a tough guy. He doesn’t play around. He came to Auburn after spending five seasons working at the NCAA. If a player’s eligibility is in question in any way, McGlynn will not let him play.

Until the SEC or NCAA says something to clear things up, the astonishing attacks on Newton’s character, made without any evidence at all, will certainly continue.

And, according to what Bond has said, it all started with Newton’s former coach.

What a sad story.

glad I read it, cause I don't know how long it'll stay up here in word for word form since it's a premium story from another site...

Awesome article though...sound pretty cut and dry who the culprits in this one are.

Mr. Cryer and Mr. Bond.

If Bond is "distressed about the reaction", he needs to man up, step up and straighten out this mess.  Does he owe any loyalty to Meyer?  What about Mullen, he could do a lot to put an end to this.  A good kid and a good family, as well as Auburn, are being put through hell.

Meyer needs be taken out to the woodshed on this one...

It's one thing to be competitive.  It's another thing to use unsubstantiated rumors THROUGH THE MEDIA in an effort disparage a player..This speaks as much to Meyer's character as ANYONE'S...

If I was an MSU fan, I would p.o.'ed that Mullin is still having three ways with Meyer........three way phone calls I mean. I tsounds like Meyer and Mullin were in collusion together.

Why was Meyer in on a 3-way call with Mullen and Bond?

Was wondering the same thing myself

and WHEN did this phone call happen? If it occurred as the season has progressed, it makes Meyer look even worse...

Urban Meyer is a scum bag....I was actually happy when he called it quits...Finally in rhe words od Urban's wife...get up Urban..get up Urban and please get out of the SEC  :believe:

If I was an MSU fan, I would p.o.'ed that Mullin is still having three ways with Meyer........three way phone calls I mean. I tsounds like Meyer and Mullin were in collusion together.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Was wondering the same thing myself

and WHEN did this phone call happen? If it occurred as the season has progressed, it makes Meyer look even worse...

Last week apparently.  Might explain why Florida has been a no-show in so many games.  Meyer was off scheming ways to slow down the Cam train.  :o :o

Seriously, why would Meyer talk to the NYT.  Auburn can't comment further but Meyer is clearly commenting further about an NCAA investigation.

All I can come up with is the want to crack down on rogue agents.  I don't seriously think he is trying to slow down Cam or get another SEC team in trouble.  Just my opinion.

Anyone else feel like they are watching a Martin Scorsese film over the message boards  :dunno:

That's funny as H#ll, but very true.

Feels like a fumblerooskie and were hanging with the camera man that followed the running back.  Hopefully we'll get back to the person actually carrying the ball.

Exactly, who is in control at MSU?  It looks like Cryer should spend a little more time trying to replace Mullen, and less time worrying about Auburn.  I hope Auburn will go on the offensive on this one.  Cam deserves the chance to win the Heisman.

:believe:

I agree that if Mullen doesn't stand up for Newton when he knows nothing really happened to implicate the Newtons. His credibility with other recruits will suffer. He is showing his true colors about his character if he doesn't stand up to Meyer.

Archived