locked threads

tylerh87

if a thread is locked, can we delete it or something instead of allowing mods to continue commenting on it? it's getting a little ridiculous. just my 2 cents. clogging up the main page.

I don't understand why they just don't delete the offensive post and send the violator a warning. This way they can keep the thread open. I have asked MODS why they don't do this and they have said they don't want to keep posters from expressing their opinions. That Gus thread yesterday was as important a thread as has ever been on here IMO, but it was locked. I had my first post here deleted in that thread for simply stating how crazy it was that we were having to fend off Vandy to keep a coach. I guess that was offensive to some people for some reason.  :dunno:

Usually by the time they lock a thread, it means it's completely derailed or the discussion has run its course (in that thread or in another).  By the time the original two Vandy threads hit 10+ pages, it was time to move on from that topic and just wait until this thing plays out.

I don't understand why they just don't delete the offensive post and send the violator a warning. This way they can keep the thread open. I have asked MODS why they don't do this and they have said they don't want to keep posters from expressing their opinions. That Gus thread yesterday was as important a thread as has ever been on here IMO, but it was locked. I had my first post here deleted in that thread for simply stating how crazy it was that we were having to fend off Vandy to keep a coach. I guess that was offensive to some people for some reason.  :dunno:

This doesn't apply to all locked threads but usually if it is simply locked then it started out discussing a relevant topic and still has some good info in it but either people just kept rehashing the same info over and over (see the Gus thread from last night) or people started getting into fights over the topic and they decided to close it at that point.  If there is a truly offensive post then they will usually either delete the post from a thread or if it is the topic of the thread they will delete it in it's entirety. An example of that would be when the MSU player that passed at the end of the year had a thread put us saying he had died before it was confirmed so out of respect for the family one of the Mods deleted the thread until something could be confirmed.

On a side note to the Mods, now that everyone has had time to digest what came out last night it might be a good time to create an "everything Gus thread" since I've noticed quite a few threads start up this morning about various scenarios included compensation for him if he stays, who should replace him if he leaves, etc.  I may be wrong but I think everyone has calmed down enough at this point to have a central place for discussing the different angles around the current Gus developments without it getting too out of hand.

Archived