For those who think Calloway will be a linebacker.....

benjazz

that is what was said about a fellow named Vincent Jackson in 1982.  Everyone thought that Alan Evans would be the stud running back and Jackson would be a lb.  Just saying......

Im not sayin anybody CANT do anything. when your 17 and your 6ft+ and 200lb+ and run a sub 4.5, if you have the drive and maturity and work ethic, you can do anything you want to do athletically...... but how bad does he want to run the ball? thats the million dollar question.

Actually he isn't any bigger than Ronnie Brown (although his height and weight vary depending on which site you look at).  OUR coaches seem to think he's a running back.  He thinks he's a running back and a lot of people he ran over think he's a running back.  Only person who seems to think he's a lb is Saban and it will be a cold day in Hades before I agree with him against our coaches.  Oh, and all the pay sites took Saban's word for it and they don't have much credibility with me either.  Give the kid and our coaches a chance.

I think he gets his 1st shot at RB and soon realizes where he can make the most money playing someday. This reminds me of when Cornelius Bennett came out of Ensley as a RB but made the switch to LB and the rest is history. Alot of similiarities between Bennett and Calloway. I hope they end with similiar results.

I'd like to see him play some at LB no matter what. Giving him so snaps on the offense would be a bonus. At least I hope it's that way.

I have an idea about Calloway; -- let him and the coaches decide what position he should play. Brent  Calloway is a tremendous athlete and I am sure he can excel at whatever position he wants to .

Back in my football days, I thought I wanted to be running back (I was a linebacker).  I started at LB and was the B team fullback.

When our FB went down, I got my chance. After being hit, hit, and rehit and on one play actually  being knocked out, I decided real quick, it was better doing the hitting than getting hit. I went back to Linebacker and never wanted to change again  ;D

I think he can be successful at either position.  The only thing that worries me is that I know he had quite a case of fumble-itis this past season.  Some of them came at some very costly times, including their playoff loss to Hartselle late in the 4th qtr. 

Hold on to that ball BC!  :thumbsup:

THe coaches knave promised him a shot at RB and, unlike  :devil:, I believe he will get a legitimate shot and who knows, he may turn out to be something special. But, whatever position he plays, I feel he will be q force.

Don't get too caught up in his speed compared to faster RBs. Vision, acceleration, and lateral movement are more important. If Brent has these, he'll be a good one.

I have an idea about Calloway; -- let him and the coaches decide what position he should play. Brent  Calloway is a tremendous athlete and I am sure he can excel at whatever position he wants to .

Back in my football days, I thought I wanted to be running back (I was a linebacker).  I started at LB and was the B team fullback.

When our FB went down, I got my chance. After being hit, hit, and rehit and on one play actually  being knocked out, I decided real quick, it was better doing the hitting than getting hit. I went back to Linebacker and never wanted to change again  ;D

You hit the nail on the head. Quit over-analyzing him, people, as far as I know that's the coaches job.

that is what was said about a fellow named Vincent Jackson in 1982.  Everyone thought that Alan Evans would be the stud running back and Jackson would be a lb.  Just saying......

This is mentioned every time we recruit a running back over 6 foot tall.

some people might need a reminder  :tease:

Who is this Jackson dude of whom you speak????  :dunno:;D:dunno:

My opinion ( & this is nothing more than an opinion thread ) = Calloway apparently played on a 5A team (usually means strong competition ), was his team's only offensive weapon, and still pounded defenses successfully... he played RB primarily this year... but, I did not see him play live so this is info from recruiting gurus and my AE bros. who did see him play...

I did watch the Army Allstar game and he looked good @ linebacker to me.... so did Frost for that matter... both were all over the field...

Looks like a GOOD situation for our coaches with both of these players... I don't know where they will play, but the little I do know is that if I was on AU's staff, I would realize that they are the caliber of player that I make sure is on the field somewhere...

Calloway = will help AU win the next MNC..... & who knows, Bo Jackson may have been the best LB to ever play @ AU if the coaches had put him there...  but they found his nitch... CGC will do this with Calloway I believe...

I grew up in enterprise and saw Alan Evans play at EHS.  He was amazing on ko returns and running to the outside on the triple option.  I still find it hard to explain how he didn't contribute at au in some way even with Bo at rb. 

But  my point,  imo the assessment of talent today is much easier than 30 hrs ago bc of technology, ease of travel, etc.  Still have misses today and they may be more impactful than years ago bc of scholarship limitations.  But in this case i think Calloway will be a rb and a very good one. 

BTW.....I'm struggling to think of any rb to lb conversions that were highly successful.  Obviously in the other

direction Bo is probably the best example.   

You hit the nail on the head. Quit over-analyzing him, people, as far as I know that's the coaches job.

Nope.  I enjoy over-analyzing.  It's a part of the fun for me and I'll continue to do it.  Thanks for pointing out that the coaches make the decisions.  I never knew that...errrr

I grew up in enterprise and saw Alan Evans play at EHS.  He was amazing on ko returns and running to the outside on the triple option.  I still find it hard to explain how he didn't contribute at au in some way even with Bo at rb. 

But  my point,  imo the assessment of talent today is much easier than 30 hrs ago bc of technology, ease of travel, etc.  Still have misses today and they may be more impactful than years ago bc of scholarship limitations.  But in this case i think Calloway will be a rb and a very good one. 

BTW.....I'm struggling to think of any rb to lb conversions that were highly successful.  Obviously in the other

direction Bo is probably the best example.     

Names that jump out to me:  Paul Posluszny at Penn St and Chip Gregory  at Arkansas..I am sure there are many more. maybe ??

Completely agree. The way i look at it, we either have a beast RB or a beast LB. win-win situation.

THis is exactly how i feel.

From watching his highlight reel on Youtube I feel he would make a better LB than a RB. He has excellent pursuit speed, he is able to read the play, and can find the angles on the RB really well. Watching some of this runs they were pretty good but from the looks of it he seems like he is just barreling over people while carrying the football and not making cuts. This is fine for hs level but life in the SEC is much different. This is just my opinion. I'll let Chizik, Malzahn, and Roof make the decision on where he should play. They are the experts.

On a side note I do dig your taste in music Brent. It's a heck of a lot better than what I have heard on other recruits highlight reels.

Archived