Press-Register's Bammer Math

NOLATiger

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2011/02/elite_18_calloways_signature_g.html

So the Press-Register declares the Elite 18 for state recruits every year. Then Randy Kennedy arbitrarily sets the "real" cutoff for the "top recruits" at seven. Why? Because that's what gives Alabama a 4-3 edge. Check out the rest of the list.

Just for  here's Mr. Kennedy's column the morning after Alabama whalloped the "mighty" Gators last fall:

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2010/10/crimson_tide_separates_itself.html

Can we all join in a resounding guffaw in the direction of poor, pitiful Krimson Kennedy. It'd be funny if the Press-Register weren't actually the state's second largest newspaper and if Kennedy weren't the supervising editor for the Auburn and Alabama beat reporters of the papers in Mobile, Birmingham and Huntsville.

So let's award 18 points to Calloway as the No. 1 recruit on the list with descending points values down to one point for No. 18. That's the way the AP and Coaches' Polls work, right? Yup. And it comes to 87 points for Auburn; 60 points for Alabama. RohTahd, Randy.

He points out that out of the seven players at the top that were involved in intense recruiting battles between AU and UAT that UAT got four and AU got three.  In actuality, there was an intense battle for only two of them, Callaway and Florence.  UAT got one and we got one.  The rest were pretty much solid in their commitments during the whole process.  Slant it any way you want, when a school takes nine of the Elite 18 and the other school gets five, who wins the mythical contest? 

Come on guys. They are just trying to throw a bone to the bammers because of all the positive press AU has been recieving and because of all the misery bammers have been experiencing.  They want the bammer subscriptions and to their credit bammers have proven that they will save up all year or collect cans off the side of the road to buy something that has a row tahd feel to it.

There's lies, D*#% lies and statistics

Bottom line - count the beans however you want to get the results you want.  Had Bama signed only Calloway and we signed everyone else - Bama would have won because they signed the top prospect.

28-27....that's the statistic that matters (but Alabama won the first half)

Why get upset. Everyone knows the truth. If you want to get caught up in this garbage eventually you will begin to smell. No sense in flaming. SMILE AND LET IT RIDE. YOU KNOW THE TRUTH. LOOK AT THE PLAYERS WE GOT. Its just like Rvals have their number 1 class. Then look at Scout and see WHO IS THEIR  number one class. JUST A MATTER OR PERCEPTION OR WHO YOU SUPPORT

:we: :we: :we: :we:

At times its best just not to look.  Who cares what this guy or that guy thinks.  The only thing I care about is how this class does over the next 4-5 years, we'll know which class was better then

We should be thankful, actually.  The press bias in this state makes it such that our staff never has to work very hard to sell "us against the world."  Terry Henley talked this morning about the resilience and toughness Coach Chizik has instilled in the team.  These kinds of ridiculously slanted articles help solidify that IMO.  They have a fighters mentality as opposed to a sense of entitlement.  This year, that was the difference between 10-3 and 14-0.

Wow. Pretty funny-"Top 7"? Why not list the Top 3 (AU wins!)--Just kidding. One would at least think he would have compared the Top 10.

We have a great staff and 2 straight years of back-to-back top 5 recruiting.  Coaches have more talent to work with than I imagine we have had before.  I'm a happy camper. Future is bright.  Let folks spin it any way they want but let's see the product on the fild.

He's going to be on the radio at 4:00. We should make sure he doesn't get to talk about anything else today. Line up the phone queues. Spread the word to the other boards. Let's take over the airwaves singing the praises of this class and making Kennedy look like an idiot.

Wow. Pretty funny-"Top 7"? Why not list the Top 3 (AU wins!)--Just kidding. One would at least think he would have compared the Top 10.

Well "Top 7" was his only choice other than "Top 1".  Auburn won or tied in every other combination.  I know why they write it, I just wonder if they at least feel dirty while doing it.

Well "Top 7" was his only choice other than "Top 1".  Auburn won or tied in every other combination.  I know why they write it, I just wonder if they at least feel dirty while doing it.

Yeah, I work in the same business, and I still don't get why they write it. It's a common misconception among some Alabama newspaper folks that they have to cater to UA to sell papers. That's bunk. That state is so darn interested in football, that all you have to do to build and maintain readers is cover what's happening. Sure, you will occasionally lose a subscriber that wants to sulk and fell powerful. But as soon as they get tired of not getting information about their team and -- just as important -- their archrival, they'll come crawling back.

Also, the news folks there, whether they do it pubicly or not, like to note that Alabama fans outnumber Auburn fans. Yes, they do. But check out the online polls every time anyone from the News or the P-R does a chat. The responses make it clear that the breakdown, at least on al.com, is even or in Auburn's favor slightly. Not trying to be funny here, but the old stereotypes would help them out: Alabama fans outnumber Auburn fans because more of the state's less educated residents latched on to the Crimson Tide in the Bryant era. That doesn't mean those folks are paying news consumers in the same proportion as college graduates. So it stands to reason that the actual readership is far more even than the Randy Kennedys of the world must assume when they justify to themselves such shoddy analysis as he offered in that past.

The smart thing here would have been to say that both schools did very well in recruiting in-state. If he would have left out the top 7 garbage he would have saved himself a lot of grief. Instead he has brought this on himself.

Honestly I am someone surprised as he is usually pretty un-biased on the radio compared to most. But, you have to remember - this is Mobile, and what the REC/Uat wants they usually get. You should see what happens to radio talk show hosts that do not promote Uat enough... bye, bye.

Maybe he is protecting his job. Seriously. As a sports writer in this state he has to watch out. AU just won the national championship. AU has momentum. Time for them to start fighting back.

Most bammers can't read. Those that can don't like to pay for papers. Those that buy papers open up the sports page and look for anything bammer; then toss the paper. Their main source of information is Shane.

Archived